No performance increase from HDD to SSD

10 replies to this topic
Driftking120
  • Driftking120

Madman

• Members

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:58 PM

Hi All,
It's me again with more computer complains tounge.gif .
This time its that my SSD seems to be performing the same as or slower then a regular HDD.
This has been going on ever since the SSD was brand new.
First time i started up the computer I was quite underwhelmed with the boot time of the SSD, It was practically the same as the old computer I had.
The old computer I had has a Hatachi 7200RPM 1TB hard drive which i did NOT carry over.
When installing GTA IV i actully experienced slower install time then when the old hard drive in the old computer.
When playing GTA IV their was little to no load time improvements.
And pretty soon, for whatever reason I began to get the "USB Hub Power Surge" message,
which after reformating and reinstalling GTA IV had gone away which leaded me to believe that the SSD had messed up some Windows data.
And after Reformatting i had appeared to have lost 100MB of disk space as after reformattiv it read 223.4GB of usable disk space instead of 223.5GB.
Also after using the SSD for around a month it seems that it has gotten a bit slower.
PC Specs:
Case: Mountain Mods U2 UFO
PSU: Corsair AX1200
Motherboard: MSI Big Bang Marshal(B3) P67
CPU: Intel Core i7 2700k
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
RAM: Muskin Enhanced Redline 1600Mhz 8GB(2x4GB)
VGA: MSI 580GTX Lightning Xtreme Edition
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB
SSD: Corsair Force GT 240GB
Any help is apreciated!

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:17 PM Edited by Pico, 02 February 2012 - 11:21 PM.

I've never had an SSD and do not know too much about them, but similar to you I'd expect a noticeable increase on reading times, as well as write times.
I'd suggest getting a program that can give you data on the read/write speeds your SSD is going at and compare it to the Corsair's specs for the device.

Combining the lack of perceptible performance differences and the 100MB loss... possibly defective? Best to run some tests on it and get some numbers to work with.

edit: Found this with a little searching...

Also make sure you run your drive in AHCI mode, it does make a difference. Read our recommendation on that to be able to solve and bypass the BSOD when going from SATA to AHCI.

source: http://www.guru3d.co...b-ssd-review/16

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:28 PM

Make sure you enable TRIM mode in Windows 7

To enable:
Open CMD with Administrator and type in
CODE
fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 0

To verify that it's working
CODE
fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

results:
CODE
DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Windows TRIM is disabled)
DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM is enabled)

And you may also want to update your SATA controller drivers

Driftking120
  • Driftking120

Madman

• Members

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:39 PM Edited by Driftking120, 03 February 2012 - 12:42 AM.

OK,
I did the benchmark test with AS SSD Benchmark and I got:
Seq. Read: 515MB/s
Seq. Write: 251MB/s
4K Read: 20MB/s
4K Write: 50MB/s
4K-64Thrd Read: 191MB/s
4K-64Thrd Write: 224MB/s
Acc Time Read: 0.116ms
Acc Time Write: 0.322ms
Why is my Seq. Write about half of what its suppose to be? mad.gif

Fozzy Fozborne
  • Fozzy Fozborne

Soldier

• Members

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:56 AM

Did you align it as a 4k drive?

Did you enable AHCI?

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:34 AM

SSD by all accounts should perform better then a conventional platter HDD so that seems to suggest an error somewhere.
It's HITACHI, by the way! haha

The fastest SCSI drives of old were rotating at 10,000rpm, I read a dated article saying that 10,000 RPM won't be surpassed anytime soon, and given that was back before SSD arrived, seems fairly accurate to say. There is some new tech being promised to do away with all conventional HDD, and no, I don't refer to the current SSDs!

Driftking120
  • Driftking120

Madman

• Members

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:23 PM

What did you mean by "Align it as a 4k drive?" And i have it in AHCI mode biggrin.gif .
But still its not "feeling" fast even though i am getting close to advertised read speeds,
although it still puzzles me why the write is half of what it should be confused.gif .

Xcommunicated
  • Xcommunicated

A Stitch in Time C9

• United-States

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:04 PM

You might want to check if it has the latest firmware version. If not, then that could be the problem. I have an old OCZ Agility 2 that acted a bit sluggish when I first installed it, but updating the firmware fixed it.

Needless to say, your SSD isn't cheap, so if you can't find a fix, then have it RMA'd.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:07 PM

If worse comes to worse, see about swapping for the same, under warranty, best bet is a store exchange

Fozzy Fozborne
  • Fozzy Fozborne

Soldier

• Members

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE (Driftking120 @ Friday, Feb 3 2012, 07:23)
What did you mean by "Align it as a 4k drive?" And i have it in AHCI mode biggrin.gif .
But still its not "feeling" fast even though i am getting close to advertised read speeds,
although it still puzzles me why the write is half of what it should be confused.gif .

If you boot from a drive that isn't the SSD and try to format it. It will give you options the option of file system and allocation size. Change the allocation size to 4096 (4K) and format. Obviously you will lose your data on the SSD.

Driftking120
  • Driftking120

Madman

• Members

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:44 AM

Oh ok that, I have mine set to default i think.
I forgot what was the default but that sounds what option it was set to when i formatted the WD so I Probably have the Corsair set to that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users