Computer keeps crashing

21 replies to this topic
ChopTheDog.
  • ChopTheDog.

War. War never changes.

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:35 PM

Okay so everytime i start up my computer ill be on it for no more than 10 mins and it totally freezes, i get no warnings such as slowness before the crash and everything stops straight, music stops playing, mouse wont move. Although the screen still shows my screen as it was before the crash, So this happens and i restart my pc and then after restarting it, it doesn't crash again, until i next use it

Please help

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:02 PM

I've had things freeze onscreen stationary before, The first place to try a replacement is MEMORY, check your RAM, run some RAM tests or replace, a stick at a time, so you don't throw out anything good

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:46 PM

Go get memtest86+ http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
The easiest of the downloads is the Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip) just unzip it, it'll give you an ISO file that you can then use something like IMGBurn to burn the image to disc.
Restart and boot to that disc you made.

You can also use the USB method: Auto-installer for USB Key (Win 9x/2k/xp/7)
Keep in mind you'll need a USB stick that is already empty or you don't mind losing all of the data on and your mobo has to support booting from USB. Since we have no idea how old you system is, or even what it is, I can't begin to tell you if you'll be able to use this or not.

While I've never used it, there is a memory tester on the Win7 disc, so if you one you can try using that and see what you get. I personally still stick with memtest86+ even though I have a Win7 disc.

Algonquin Bridge
  • Algonquin Bridge

Large, metallic bridge structure carrying cars across water.

• Members

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (Wolf68k @ Tuesday, Jan 31 2012, 18:46)
While I've never used it, there is a memory tester on the Win7 disc, so if you one you can try using that and see what you get. I personally still stick with memtest86+ even though I have a Win7 disc.

There's also the Windows Memory Diagnostic which comes with 7; but Memtest is the way to go.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:41 PM

Memory is one of those "dynamic" unseen elements that can cause such things, As for other things to do, SHOULD scan for Malware of course, as long as you can get through a test in time before a sys. lock, use Prevx CSI which is free, and FAST

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:53 PM

@Algonquin Bridge
True too, but as he said he can only run the system for about 10mins before it freezes. I don't know about the OS memory tester but memtest takes about 60minutes depending the amount of memory and the speed of the memory and CPU.

@Slamman
You're right as well, a virus and spyware can would be a good idea to do, but here again the scan will take longer than the 10mins he says he normally has.

Using a disc, that isn't part of the OS, to memory test is the best option for right now. Let's say we wait until after he does that and comes back to give us a report.

@The_Sorrow
Something I forgot to mention, let memtest run for about 5 or 6 Passes, 3 should be enough but 5 or 6 would be better. If it all fails during Pass 1 then test 1 stick at a time, that is if there is more than one stick of RAM. You can try moving the stick(s) to different slots and see if you get better results.
Oh and testing 2 sticks of 4GB each on my system I think took about 3-4 hours for 6 passes and about half way through Pass 7. So start it and let it run over night, while at work/school, go see a movie, whatever.

Algonquin Bridge
  • Algonquin Bridge

Large, metallic bridge structure carrying cars across water.

• Members

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:47 PM

QUOTE (Wolf68k @ Tuesday, Jan 31 2012, 22:53)
@Algonquin Bridge
True too, but as he said he can only run the system for about 10mins before it freezes. I don't know about the OS memory tester but memtest takes about 60minutes depending the amount of memory and the speed of the memory and CPU.

When using the Memory Diagnostic (accessed from Windows), it rebooted the computer and began the test before the OS loaded. It did all this in under 10 minutes.

But yeah, I totally agree; it's best to get memtest and use that.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:29 AM

Thanks for that. Like I said, I've never used it, although I was mostly talking about the one on the DVD

ChopTheDog.
  • ChopTheDog.

War. War never changes.

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:57 AM Edited by The_Sorrow, 01 February 2012 - 01:03 PM.

Okay, so everyone's agreed on it either being malware, virus or memory problem?

Im going to do a memory test right now, ill give feedback ASAP

Thanks guys icon14.gif

EDIT: Memory diagnostics test gave no errors

It is most likely a virus/malware problem and I did forget to mention i dont have any anti-virus installed *Facepalm*

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:50 PM

Oh hell user posted image

Get Avira AntiVir Free or Microsoft Security Essentials and let them do their thing. The problem might be is you might not being able to do even that with the way you say everything locks up.
You might have to use a clean system to get/create a rescue disc that will allow you to boot from that and scan your system with.
You can get one from Avira here http://www.avira.com...r-rescue-system
Here's one from Kaspersky http://support.kaspe...l?qid=208282173 they also have a guide for how to create a USB stick to use with their rescue disc
And one from BitDefender http://www.bitdefend...cue-CD-627.html with a guide on how to create a CD or USB stick
Something I found, with the other 2 in a Google search, Microsoft Safety Scanner http://www.microsoft...us/default.aspx

ChopTheDog.
  • ChopTheDog.

War. War never changes.

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:05 PM

Okay, thanks for the advice Wolf68k, I've downloaded Avira free icon14.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:13 PM

Despite paying for Norton, and the ideas expressed here, Maximum PC magazine says they've redone the AV software, ground up in the past 2 or 3 years, and after my experience with it, I still don't like paying, but if you want the best, they seem to think Norton is still tops, if you want the best FREE, it's not Avira, since they were able to throw Malware at Avira and it missed it! What worked better was Grisoft's AVG
So, with their latest free AV, Grisoft got the best score in MaxPC's shootout of paid and free AVs

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:57 PM

You're right, Avira will miss some malware, so will AVG and Norton. There is no perfect anti virus that catches all virus, trojans, and malware and everything else.
Maximum PC (geez and you call me a shill?) yes did do a roundup review in Dec 2011 which does tip it's hat more towards Norton than it does Avria. But why? Because they compared a full package product (Norton) to a stripped down simple free antivirus (Avira). That's like comparing a fully load sports car to a simple family car. The article only briefly talks about how good or bad each product did at catching viruses and when it does talk about it focuses on the worse thing it can think of to make the products look bad.
A magazine is not the place to get a real review of anti virus, more so when that magazine is has paid ads from any one of those anti-virus makers

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:44 AM

Well, one thing you DO want is unobtrusive protection and using AVG might offer the better free solution, add in MSE, and Prevx, for all scans you can do without a subscription, I use Avira as well as the others mentioned, and they've worked well, so no complaints.

I'm referring to MaxPC as well as other magazines I happen to be privy to due to my sister's husbands collection, I only periodically bought it, but he's got a very full collection of PC magazines I've been pouring over.

ChopTheDog.
  • ChopTheDog.

War. War never changes.

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:15 PM

Okay, After a while I started to assume it was a HDD problem so I recently replaced my HDD, Everything was fine for a while but just now it crashed again, The screen doesn't give blank screens, It just freezes:

• Mouse stops moving
  • Keyboard stops working
  • Music stops playing (If any)

I haven't had any blue screens occur since my HDD change but I have done the following things and I am still getting this problem

• Checked for memory errors, Found none
  • Replaced my HDD

What else could it be?

My computer specs:

Processor: Intel Core™2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20 GHz
RAM: 2.0 GB
Graphics: Geforce 210

I am fully aware that its no 'Big muscle powered' machine but it gets me from A to B.

I never got this problem running 32 bits, Do you think it could be a 64 bit problem?

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:32 AM

If you got 64 bit installed, I wouldn't be worried about the CPU instruction set not supporting it, and memory testing does take out another common fault area in troubleshooting, a fresh drive formatting, new drivers, etc?

While it's not the best gaming stuff for GTA on PC, as noted in many posts, it's new enough to support 64bit, since 64bit has been a capable option back to AMD64 CPUs and Windows XP Pro 64bit introduced.
Also Windows 7 should run smooth on a great many rigs, have you got all the patches and Service packs added to it? I feel there's a detail unknown that's causing it, hard to discern just from that provide.

Perhaps the driver for video or some other device is not the right one in terms of supporting 64 over 32? That is something to keep an eye on as well

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Olympics

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:11 PM

I had this problem a couple years ago with my PC. As it was still under warranty from the people I got it sent back to them to fix and what not. I had the same issue where I'd turn on the PC literally get to the desktop for a couple seconds (while it was still loading things) and then all of a sudden it would freeze on me, no sound no movement and would still display the picture on my monitor like nothing had happened. I couldn't do anything except turn off and back on.

Turned out it was the Motherboard dying on mine, so they replaced it free of charge. But your problem kind of sounds like the issue I had so yeah, it might be the motherboard just dying a slow painful death.

Oh and I hope you are still using an antivirus after you got a new HDD?

abottig
  • abottig

tinyurl.com/2glbsx

• Members

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:33 AM

Intermittent crashes, after ruling out RAM and/or malware issues, are usually caused by a failing PSU.

You can buy a simple PSU tester on newegg or Amazon for $20-30.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:54 AM

QUOTE (abottig @ Sunday, Apr 15 2012, 11:33)
Intermittent crashes, after ruling out RAM and/or malware issues, are usually caused by a failing PSU.

You can buy a simple PSU tester on newegg or Amazon for $20-30.

Or if you happen to have another PC lying around try the PSU from that and see if you get the crash (By the way i would not recommend you continue using that PSU, only use it to test since the PSU from the other PC is likely to be old).

If you really wanted to forget the PSU tester and just buy a new PSU, be like $60-$80 right?

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:13 PM

Stinky here was bringing up a CPU that had been acting wonky, and though a pricy component, it's good if you happen upon a backup one for handy emergency repair

SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:29 AM Edited by SyphonPayne, 16 April 2012 - 03:32 AM.

On the 775 platform, one could just get a cheap P4 Cedar Mill or a cheap Allendale Pentium Dual-Core as a backup. I have two E2180s, an E2160 and a P4 641 lying around for testing purposes. So if memory replacement, OS replacement, PSU replacement doesn't work, next thing I would try is CPU (or GPU, or mobo.)

Need to use Prime95, RealTemp, MemTest86+ to diagnose.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:07 AM

Just finding a discarded PC can offer up working parts you can use, but that's why I am typically excited to look over some "scrap"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users