Arrested Development Returns!

64 replies to this topic
Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:46 AM

It's not as if the show hasn't had a bunch of guest stars before. I don't see how it will be much different.

Harley
  • Harley

Cyclop 9

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:08 AM

The show has always had a way of making great characters out of guest stars, without having them overshadow the family.

I've watched the odd episode now and again but I haven't watched the whole series in over a year. Definitely going to have one last run through before Sunday.

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:44 AM

I am so f*cking stoked about John Slattery being on the show.

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:28 PM

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:39 AM

A little over 24 hours!

I'm really f*cking excited. I just watched the episodes with Charlize Theron. They're probably my favorite, she really knocked it out of the park.

"Rita corny, Michael."

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:45 AM

First episode = great. Next two? Not quite my cuppa. I hope once the "catchup" is over the episodes become less character centric. So rad, though, overall.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:45 AM

I don't know if I like how each episode revolves around one character. You're definitely meant to watch them one after another. I watched 13 episodes so far. They've got some really funny stuff going on. The stuff with Ron Howard (playing Ron Howard and not the Narrator) is great, and the Gob episodes are great, but everything else feels like you're eating each ingredient to a good sandwich separately, instead of the whole thing at once.

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:57 AM

QUOTE (Otter @ Monday, May 27 2013, 07:45)
First episode = great. Next two? Not quite my cuppa. I hope once the "catchup" is over the episodes become less character centric. So rad, though, overall.

Well, there is a reason for the episodes being split up the way they are. The cast is quite busy. Hell, a whole f*ckbunch of scenes were shot on green screen with actors delivering their lines months apart. They only got the cast together for a grand total of two days.

^not a plot spoiler per se, but might spoil the show for some

Rudy
  • Rudy

Mack Pimp

• Zaibatsu
  • France

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

I finsihed watching 12 episodes so far, and just looped around, and watched the first episode again. I dare say that - just like the rest of th series - it gets MUCH better on a rewatch. Also, I wasn't ready to see Micheal as such a pathetic train wreck to kick the season off. I think such a strong turn requires more explanations than the handful of flashback scenes we got.

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

I'm about halfway through and while I do agree with Otter on a couple of the early eps, it's still great. It's bound to feel a little disconnected but any AD is better than no AD.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

@ Gronf - not really an excuse by any measure, though. And the compositing work is pretty terrible.

I'm looking forward to the rest! Who played you Henry Winkler? He killed it!
Edit - just looked it up. Of course, his son!

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

I watched the whole thing. It certainly seems they're leaving it open for either another season (hopefully a traditional type of season), or a movie, which feels like what this season was adapted from.

It was great, though. A lot of good AD laughs.

And be sure to watch the "next time..." After the credits of the season finale.

SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:02 AM

Just finished the last episode a bit ago. Great start I hope they keep going with this. Now I've got to go watch it over again

Rudy
  • Rudy

Mack Pimp

• Zaibatsu
  • France

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:02 PM

I finished wathing the remaining epsiodes and I should admit it was awesome.

It was like a comedic matryoshka doll.

Harley
  • Harley

Cyclop 9

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:37 PM

Three episodes into the new season and I'm really disappointed. Where are the f*cking jokes?
And why are we pretending they aren't nearly ten years older? There's new scenes set straight after the party on the ship. I wish they would've drawn a line and set the whole of the season several years after the end of season three. It's really distracting with some of the actors.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:51 PM Edited by Otter, 28 May 2013 - 08:54 PM.

QUOTE (Harley @ Tuesday, May 28 2013, 12:37)
Three episodes into the new season and I'm really disappointed. Where are the f*cking jokes?
And why are we pretending they aren't nearly ten years older? There's new scenes set straight after the party on the ship. I wish they would've drawn a line and set the whole of the season several years after the end of season three. It's really distracting with some of the actors.

I think I'm in the same boat as you, Harley. Judging by comments in here, things get a lot better. And by "some of the actors" I assume you're talking about Portia, because they really screwed the pooch with her makeup in that episode. Super distracting. I can look beyond a bit of aging but yeah, when they cut from an old scene to the new scene, it's a little too obvious. Ha. And the effects are just terrible. There's better looking stuff in "HemlocK Grove," unfortunately.

But I have to reiterate that I really dug the Micheal episode. Trying to kick the tumbleweed was hilarious.

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:06 PM

It does get better after the first few eps. You also get more used to the transition. I did, at least.

Rudy
  • Rudy

Mack Pimp

• Zaibatsu
  • France

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:59 AM

QUOTE (Voodoo @ Tuesday, May 28 2013, 21:06)
It does get better after the first few eps. You also get more used to the transition. I did, at least.

Yup, it took me a few epsiodes to get into the groove of things too, but it definitely picks up after a while. It's such a different entity, this 15 episodes ball of tangled characters and stories all at once.

@people who've watched all the 15 episodes: Anyone got any theories on what happened to Lucille 2?

SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:32 AM

I didn't really feel that the first few episodes were that rough around the edges as you guys, but I just didn't really find them to be that entertaining. Didn't really pick up until maybe episode 4 or 5.

I think it's been really good though, it's worth a rewatch... The way everything ties in with the ending on Cinco De Quatro and with George Michael punching his father and so on and so forth is fun to watch when you already know it's all going to happen already

@rudy

No I was thinking about that too. But remember Buster saw her on the stairs momentarily and then in the next flash of light she was gone. So probably something to do with her vertigo... Tripped and fell on the stairs and then stumbled off or something?

Rudy
  • Rudy

Mack Pimp

• Zaibatsu
  • France

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

Or what if Micheal had accidentally pushed her down the stairs?

I know that might sound a little impossible, but I remember him saying something like, what if I accidentally fall down the stairs and crack my head open, to George at the beginning, so I doubt if that has something to do with this.

DeeperRed
  • DeeperRed

Damn it feels good to be gangsta

• Zaibatsu

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:34 PM

About half-way through and enjoying it. It may not be up to old seasons standards but it's still a lot better then most comedy trite on TV today. I would of preferred the old structure but I have always found Arrested Development had no real weak characters so the following around one by one does work. Sometimes you have to film and write with limitations in mind and that was done here.

I will say they, like Otter mentioned, the green screen work is f*cking awful. You'd be surprised how much greenscreen work is used in standard TV shows (Like Ugly Betty) and you would never realize. They really need to get a better effects compositor, not to blow my own horn but I could do better then that.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE (rudy. @ Thursday, May 30 2013, 02:44)
Or what if Micheal had accidentally pushed her down the stairs?

I know that might sound a little impossible, but I remember him saying something like, what if I accidentally fall down the stairs and crack my head open, to George at the beginning, so I doubt if that has something to do with this.

I agree with what Sag said. I don't think any of the characters have it in them to kill anyone. And that wouldn't be funny. Lucille 2 being high up on the stairs, and then coming down them probably gave her a spell of vertigo.

Harley
  • Harley

Cyclop 9

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:39 PM

I finished it, still a huge disappointment. Watching it was a f*cking chore. I admit it did get slightly better as it went along, but not enough for me to enjoy it.
It wasn't funny, and most of the classic running gags weren't subtle enough. The punchlines were poorly delivered, and a few times I had a little laugh over something but then they repeated the line or killed the joke with another line. And the brick jokes were so bait - I get that some were intentionally obvious as the episodes were set in the same time frame, but they made it too easy.
The scenes set straight after the boat with Lindsay did get at me because Portia looks so different now, but that's nothing after seeing them pull that sh*t with George Michael and Maeby. I was squinting my eyes waiting for that scene to end.
The plot was terrible, and splitting up the characters was a dumb idea. The family's twisted relationships, foiling Michael's attempts to save the business, was basically the show in the first three seasons. It was painful watching TWO episodes entirely focused on Tobias. Especially since Tobias isn't funny anymore. In fact, all of the characters (maybe not Buster, Tony Hale has been spot on throughout) have changed.
What really pisses me off is that they didn't need to change anything. The cult following is what brought the show back, so just make it the same way.

And what, no chicken dance?

SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:54 AM Edited by SagaciousKJB, 31 May 2013 - 09:19 AM.

QUOTE (Harley @ Thursday, May 30 2013, 11:39)
I finished it, still a huge disappointment. Watching it was a f*cking chore. I admit it did get slightly better as it went along, but not enough for me to enjoy it.
It wasn't funny, and most of the classic running gags weren't subtle enough. The punchlines were poorly delivered, and a few times I had a little laugh over something but then they repeated the line or killed the joke with another line. And the brick jokes were so bait - I get that some were intentionally obvious as the episodes were set in the same time frame, but they made it too easy.
The scenes set straight after the boat with Lindsay did get at me because Portia looks so different now, but that's nothing after seeing them pull that sh*t with George Michael and Maeby. I was squinting my eyes waiting for that scene to end.
The plot was terrible, and splitting up the characters was a dumb idea. The family's twisted relationships, foiling Michael's attempts to save the business, was basically the show in the first three seasons. It was painful watching TWO episodes entirely focused on Tobias. Especially since Tobias isn't funny anymore. In fact, all of the characters (maybe not Buster, Tony Hale has been spot on throughout) have changed.
What really pisses me off is that they didn't need to change anything. The cult following is what brought the show back, so just make it the same way.

And what, no chicken dance?

I take it you were watching the earlier episodes or have seen them recently?

The only character I really noticed looking a LOT older was Maeby. Otherwise I don't really agree with all the criticisms, I think the jokes are pulled off well. There's also a lot of jokes that I didn't get the first few times I watched it, very subtle.

I think it was great. But it does have a different feel than usual... It's almost like you have to rewatch it to appreciate everything the second time through.

Also, is it obvious to everyone else that Ann's father is the one that sabotaged Gob's trick?

DeeperRed
  • DeeperRed

Damn it feels good to be gangsta

• Zaibatsu

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE (Harley @ Thursday, May 30 2013, 18:39)

But they did need to change it. They couldn't get all the actors together as many of them have very busy lifes now, so they had to work with their limitations. Remember the show finished 7 years ago.

Andreas915
  • Andreas915

i say things

• Members

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE (SagaciousKJB @ Friday, May 31 2013, 11:54)
Also, is it obvious to everyone else that Ann's father is the one that sabotaged Gob's trick?

I thought that it was Egg herself who sabotaged it, but I might have to rewatch it. Your idea sounds more plausible, because why would she do it.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

Mountains rise...

• Mongolia

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE (Andreas915 @ Friday, May 31 2013, 16:24)
QUOTE (SagaciousKJB @ Friday, May 31 2013, 11:54)

I thought that it was Egg herself who sabotaged it, but I might have to rewatch it. Your idea sounds more plausible, because why would she do it.

Well, he was the one that went in and inspected the Jesus cave personally, and he had an odd look of guilt after he walked out of the cave.

SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE (Moonshield @ Friday, May 31 2013, 13:48)
QUOTE (Andreas915 @ Friday, May 31 2013, 16:24)
QUOTE (SagaciousKJB @  Friday, May 31 2013, 11:54)

Well, he was the one that went in and inspected the Jesus cave personally, and he had an odd look of guilt after he walked out of the cave.

Exactly. Plus the crucifix. I mean, the guy is a minister/preacher/whatever-the-f*ck right?

I gotta say I'm half way on my third re-watch and it's hilarious how much more some stuff makes sense now...

Gilligan
  • Gilligan

Midnight Toker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:09 PM

I saw this advertised in the cinema when the previews were on before watching The Hangover Part III. It looked quite funny from the shots that were featured in the advertisement and as I have Netflix on my PS3, I'm tempted to start the series. I think I may watch a couple of episodes tonight, actually.

Harley
  • Harley

Cyclop 9

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE (DeeperRed @ Friday, May 31 2013, 10:37)
QUOTE (Harley @ Thursday, May 30 2013, 18:39)

But they did need to change it. They couldn't get all the actors together as many of them have very busy lifes now, so they had to work with their limitations. Remember the show finished 7 years ago.

The effort should have been made. I don't know what they're busy with these days, is their schedule really so packed they can only spare two days? I would've waited a year longer for a better made season.
Maybe it's just me the humour didn't land with, but you can't say the jokes are on par with the original series. And that's what really pissed me off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users