"Obey & Survive"

14 replies to this topic
tenpennyisplainevil
  • tenpennyisplainevil

Godfather

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:29 AM

I was just thinking that the "Obey & Survive" slogan for the police can be a hint towards corrupt cops in the storyline of GTA V. Or it's just a reference to Tenpenny from SA, but I think it's saying that we'll again see corrupt cops as antagonists or at least a big part of the storyline. What do you guys think?

Aesthetic
  • Aesthetic

Bodybuilder

• BUSTED!
  • Australia

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:48 AM

"Punish and Enslave" loved that one but "Obey and Survive goes alot better in V i guess smile.gif .

EscoLehGo
  • EscoLehGo

Ya Dingus

• Members

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE (tenpennyisplainevil @ Sunday, Jan 29 2012, 11:29)
I was just thinking that the "Obey & Survive" slogan for the police can be a hint towards corrupt cops in the storyline of GTA V. Or it's just a reference to Tenpenny from SA, but I think it's saying that we'll again see corrupt cops as antagonists or at least a big part of the storyline. What do you guys think?

I think it's a reference to the horrendous reputation that the LAPD has in regards to brutality and corruption. They're known nationwide for being pretty much just another street gang but with government financing

Johnny Playert
  • Johnny Playert

"There's a bitch... AndyGAGNAKATEKS"

• The Yardies
  • Netherlands
  • Best Snapmatic [Character] 2013

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:30 PM

Where is the Tenpenny reference in that line bro? You're stretching it imo... Obey & Survive is just a humorous paredy (exact opposite) of Protect & Serve... like they are the ones who need to watch their backs, and not the public.

senor_huevos_benedicto
  • senor_huevos_benedicto

Tell your friends. Tell your neighbours. Tell Randy Gonzales.

• Members

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:32 PM

I think it's just a humourous parody of the police in general - in GTA 4 the LCPD logo had to officers dragging a body, and a scales of justice with a coffee cup on one side and a doughnut on the other.

But I think regardless there will be some sort of corrupt official.

_L1pE_
  • _L1pE_

Hustler

• Members

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:54 PM

I think any corrupt cop trying to manipulate the protagonist would end up like those 2 crooked feds from TLAD. Also, I don't see how that references Tenpenny at all.

Finite
  • Finite

Lazarus

• Members
  • None
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE (_L1pE_ @ Sunday, Jan 29 2012, 12:54)
I think any corrupt cop trying to manipulate the protagonist would end up like those 2 crooked feds from TLAD. Also, I don't see how that references Tenpenny at all.

It references Tenpenny in the fact that he would manipulate you to do as he asked, and more then likely if you betrayed him you would end up dead. A primary example would be Hernandez . That's why people think that the "Obey & Survive" logo references him.

This could be a clue to the story considering the fact that the guy we presume to be the protagonist wanted to settle down to leave a life of crime, and then for some strange reason he's forced back into it and presumably the government will attempt to hunt him down if he's shown up again.

CheesyJ
  • CheesyJ

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:23 PM

I think that you're always going to have some sort of involvement with corrupt cops in a game of this type, especially if it has a long storyline. The only question is, how big will that be in the whole context of the game?

Ispintechno
  • Ispintechno

Dodo Pilot

• Members

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:32 PM

It could also be a reference to the predictions of Marshal Law by conspiracy theorist like Alex Jones and the like. GTA has a history of stuff like this, particularly GTA SA with Area 51 and Truth.

With money and power being the possible theme to GTAV, we could see reference to the Bilderberg Group, Marshal Law, FEMA camps and other global enslavement outcries.

SGT. Johnson
  • SGT. Johnson

"To Obey and Survive"

• Members

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:33 PM

I'm going to go with copyright issues. They play part of it.

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:11 PM

But I want to kill a good cop this time. When are we going to be the actual villain in a game about being a criminal? Seriously, I feel more like some kind of corrupt vigilante than I do an actual goddamn criminal.

MrcTOtheJ
  • MrcTOtheJ

Ah yes 'Heists' we have dismissed these claims

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:16 PM

I think you're looking abit deeply in this, it's just funny, and maybe a refrene to the real life LAPD.

Though I'm sure we'll see crooked cops in the story to some degree.

Irrational
  • Irrational

Federação das Américas

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:09 AM

What about Samuel Deever?

Snake Without a Tongue
  • Snake Without a Tongue

Franklin Shot Tupac

• Members

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:26 AM

If you want to know the logic behind the slogan, Google "LA cops brutality".

StockLoc
  • StockLoc

Grand Theft Auto V Representative

• Members

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:54 AM

QUOTE (Racecarlock @ Sunday, Jan 29 2012, 19:11)
But I want to kill a good cop this time. When are we going to be the actual villain in a game about being a criminal? Seriously, I feel more like some kind of corrupt vigilante than I do an actual goddamn criminal.

I've never actually seen a criminal that actually is 'evil'. All criminals have reasons for doing what they do, and they are always honourable. Some may enjoy killing people and that is fine. Everyone needs to learn to accept them and throw in a child or two to facilitate their cravings. After about 234 kills, they will become tired of being a criminal and will finally join the 'good' side.

As you can see, everyone is good no matter how 'evil' they think they are.

Ha ha ha!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users