Photo

DYOM - Newbie Guide

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic
GTAIndonesia
  • GTAIndonesia

Gone

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:35 PM Edited by GTAIndonesia, 12 March 2012 - 12:55 PM.

user posted image

Design Your Own Mission - The Newbie Guide

user posted image
Hi there! Welcome to the Design Your Own Mission Sub-forum. Many people want to make their own missions for GTA San Andreas but most of them don't have enough SCM-knowledge to actually do it. This modification is made for these people. It allows you to create a new mission ingame, without writing a single line of SCM-script. And you are even able to distribute them to other people.

There are other topics about this but just to remind you that this is My Version.

Hey, i think this guide will look better if you hit the Collapse Menu button on the top-left of the page!

This guide is still in very early version, i will update it regularly
user posted image
Here is a bit information about your profile, This part will only show stuff related to DYOM, not everything else, but if you're new to the forums, be sure to check out miromiro's Newbie guide, that guide, however, applies on the whole forums.
Your Respect List
If you're new to the forums, and came here for DYOM, you must manage your respect list, you CAN'T add someone without knowing them or adding randomly, that will cause problems. This happens with new DYOM Members.

There are some people who added other people to their Respect/Disrespect List without even knowing who they really are, i know one guy, but i'm not gonna post it here though.

Never try to look like a pro
Like above, if you are new to DYOM and made only 1-6 missions, don't try to look like you've mastered it and starting big Mission Packs and Storyline, it will probably be cancelled.
user posted image
There are several posting rules in the DYOM Subforum, most of them apply to the whole GTAForums too, i will explain them here. Be sure to check out miromiro's Newie Guide for more complete and detailed information about Posting.
Posting Missions
Do you have missions you want to share? Few people have been confused where to share the missions, few of them posted in DYOM Support, which leads to Moving. The right forum to post it is the DYOM Missions.

DYOM: Missions
- http://www.gtaforums...p?showforum=263

Posting Tricks, Errors, and DYOM related stuff
Posting Tricks, errors and other DYOM related stuff should be posted here...

DYOM: Support
- http://www.gtaforums...p?showforum=246

Spelling and Grammar
The most things that happens at the DYOM Subforums, you have to understand english or people won't be able to know what you're saying.

...Why English? It's obvious, it's the International Language.

Examples

hey, can you do review my mission

should be changed to

Hey! Can you do a review of my mission???

Swearing
You can't swear at the Forums such as F*ck or @sshole, (without the * and @)
you can swear as long as if not to insult people. The worst you might say is the word 'fa**ot', many members got a Verbal Warning because of that.

Feedbacks
If someone gives a negative feedback to your mission, don't get upset and adding them to your Disrespect List, what they are trying to say is to improve your missions and learn from mistakes.

Immaturity
Most issues with the DYOM Forums, most people act like 4 year-olds (Come on!), That will cause people to hate you, your behavior is also an issue, son.

Related Topics & Questions
Immature People -posted on January 18 2012 by Notna
Going off-topic
Some people just cut off the subject of the topic and suddenly posted another unrelated subjects, Like posting a Cute cat picture in a Multi Designer Mission Topic.

Spamming
Do not post many unrelated stuff such as advertising or swearing to much on many topics, You can get a Ban if you Spam.

user posted image
Here, you will see some information and tips on how to make your mission look great and fun to play. This is a MUST read for newbies because i saw some newbie in DYOM who just started using DYOM and already starting big Mission Packs
The DYOM Functions in the DYOM Menu
A While ago, Chimpso made a topic about the Functions in the DYOM Menu which you can use in your missions, big credits goes to him smile.gif

Thats it.....for now devil.gif
Before making missions
In order to make your mission good, fun, and understandable (if it has a story) plan the mission before making them, i'll explain it more below...
-Plan on how it's going to be like
Before making a mission, make a plan on how it's going to be like, is it possible to make it? Is it going to be like this an that? It's better like that rather than regret it when making the mission.

-"Is it going to be extremely difficult? Or next to impossible?!"
Make sure that the mission won't be too hard and is possible to finish.

-Be Creative! Bring back your childhood!
You need to be creative at your missions, Make something that other people's mission doesn't have, that'll make your mission unique and attractive.

Making your Mission Pack/Storyline attractive and unique
Below, you will fing tips on how to make your MP/Storyline attractive! Be sure to read it if you want it!
-Make the story as unique as possible!
First thing, if you want your mission pack/storyline good, the story must be unique. They're not gonna be interested by those "Kill everyone and get out" mission, no!
What unique story is that it is something unusual that other people missions doesn't have!
an example of a very good mission is Codename: Zulu by Mattatatta.

-Make a good presentation
Your presentation on the mission must be good in order how to make people understand what is going on in the mission.

-Advertise it
If you want to make people download the mission, You can also advertise it, maybe in your signature, or you can even Advertise in the DYOM Magazine by sending a Personal Message to KaRzY6 and it will show up on the next issue of the magazine.

GTAIndonesia
  • GTAIndonesia

Gone

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:37 PM Edited by GTAIndonesia, 08 June 2012 - 11:24 AM.

user posted image
DYOM also have a Staff, and a Moderator for the DYOM Subforum, you can say that they are the "leaders" of the Subforum, Both Dutchy3010 and PatrickW are the creators of DYOM and Moderate this area, they are also a global moderator. The newest moderator now is Secronom President, he is new as a moderator, so don't get angry at him when he do a mistake. smile.gif
The Led by's of the DYOM Subforum have auser posted image below his/her member title, as for PatrickW and Dutchy3010, they have auser posted image below their title, because they are a Global Moderator.
Currently, the Led By's of the DYOM Subforum are

UsernameProfile
PatrickWClick Here
Dutchy3010Click Here
Secronom PresidentClick Here

Though, they're not always around, there are few DYOM Seniors that can help you on the forums.

Username Profile
alifjeniusA great mission designer, and he's very friendly, he likes to keep Designers' Spirits up and very enthusiasticClick Here
ChimpsoA very good mission designer, He likes making tutorials of DYOM and those tutorials are very understandableClick Here
COOLMAN12234555896A well-creative designer, He also makes DYOM World, which is a wiki for your DYOM Missions, profile, etc... He also one of the leaders at the game DYOM World: The Designer's ChroniclesClick Here
In Progress...

Useful Topics

Modification Release Topic by Dutchy3010

-A topic about DYOM release info and download links.

================================================

The DYOM Functions Tutorial by Chimpso

-This is where you learn the Basics of DYOM.

Ask and Answer by leoncj

-Have a question about DYOM? post it there.

Bug reports by PatrickW

-Found any bugs? post the details there and let someone help you fix it.

Ideas by Dutchy3010

-Have ideas for the next version of DYOM, post your thoughts here!

DYOM World by COOLMAN12234555896

-A Wiki about DYOM Missions, characters ect...

NothingSpecial
  • NothingSpecial

2spooky4me

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:25 PM

Good lookin'!

Stromae
  • Stromae

Mi Na Badman

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:57 PM

Swearing?
I thought it was cursing.

Good job icon14.gif
But maybe you can also give the link to miromiro's GTA network - Newbie Guide.
Cuz it has a lot of useful information in it for newbies.
Which you can also use in DYOM sub-forum.

Shahonix
  • Shahonix

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:35 AM

Nice one GtaIndo! This is a great guide. I hope the newcomers will read this. biggrin.gif

Shiva.
  • Shiva.

Formerly shiva s

• Members

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:48 AM

Good to know that someone made a remake of mine's in a much better way.
Well, I wanna say only one thing.

Harsh Talks
Don't use harsh words like sh*t, f*ck, hell, bitch etc while making a reply because it is equal to spamming. John12(Don take me wrongly though You're my friend still and I still like you) is a best example but he has changed now. At first, he was using all kinds of harsh words while replying and slowly people started hating him. He earned the name ' Spammer' and he got screwed. This made him to leave DYOM for good. So, avoid the use of harsh words and lead a smooth carrerin DYOM.

SS Brigade
  • SS Brigade

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:41 AM Edited by SS Brigade, 07 February 2012 - 03:02 AM.

I thought there were no newbie guides dozingoff.gif
Thanks icon14.gif

abishai.kochara
  • abishai.kochara

Homeboy

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE (shiva s @ Sunday, Feb 5 2012, 01:48)

Harsh Talks
Don't use harsh words like sh*t, f*ck, hell, bitch etc while making a reply because it is equal to spamming. John12(Don take me wrongly though You're my friend still and I still like you) is a best example but he has changed now. At first, he was using all kinds of harsh words while replying and slowly people started hating him. He earned the name ' Spammer' and he got screwed. This made him to leave DYOM for good. So, avoid the use of harsh words and lead a smooth carrerin DYOM.

Correction- he didn't use them in the beginning but before he left.

GTAIndonesia
  • GTAIndonesia

Gone

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:24 PM

QUOTE (abishai.kochara @ Tuesday, Feb 7 2012, 18:14)
QUOTE (shiva s @ Sunday, Feb 5 2012, 01:48)

Harsh Talks
Don't use harsh words like sh*t, f*ck, hell, bitch etc while making a reply because it is equal to spamming. John12(Don take me wrongly though You're  my friend still and I still like you) is a best example but he has changed now. At first, he was using all kinds of harsh words while replying and slowly people started hating him. He earned the name ' Spammer' and he got screwed. This made him to leave DYOM for good. So, avoid the use of harsh words and lead a smooth carrerin DYOM.

Correction- he didn't use them in the beginning but before he left.

I told you that this is My Version i ain't competing or whatever. i don't want to mention anybody either.

GTAIndonesia
  • GTAIndonesia

Gone

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:09 AM

EDIT: Done some big edit.

abishai.kochara
  • abishai.kochara

Homeboy

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:27 PM

The best guide I've seen until now! icon14.gif

Boris The Vodka
  • Boris The Vodka

[Y]es

• The Yardies
  • Russia

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE (GTAIndonesia)
There are some people who added other people to their Respect/Disrespect List without even knowing who they really are, i know one guy, but i'm not gonna post it here though.

It's me, right? And who made headers for you? You could have at least credit him/her.

GTAIndonesia
  • GTAIndonesia

Gone

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:01 PM Edited by GTAIndonesia, 25 February 2012 - 01:04 PM.

QUOTE (SatournFan @ Saturday, Feb 25 2012, 19:57)
QUOTE (GTAIndonesia)
It's me, right

No, why do you think so? i don't wanna say his name here, or i'll end up the same.

GTAIndonesia
  • GTAIndonesia

Gone

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:57 PM Edited by GTAIndonesia, 12 March 2012 - 01:02 PM.

Added the Designing Tips on the guide, please read and give feedback

I need your suggestions on this guide, any help will be appreciated

guib
  • guib

Do you hear the Whisper Men? The Whisper Men Are Near.

• Members

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:30 PM

Maybe adding the members who are always around here to help, for example: yourself, SatournFan, Notna, alifjenius, and more people who are here almost 24/7 to help...

Anyway, it looks nice so far...

GTAIndonesia
  • GTAIndonesia

Gone

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

Sure, i'll add them later. There's still lots to come.

Now i'm going to cry.

UAAAAAAAAAH!

GTAIndonesia
  • GTAIndonesia

Gone

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

Excpect some updates soon^

GTAIndonesia
  • GTAIndonesia

Gone

• BUSTED!