» «
Photo

Is python a good learning tool?

6 replies to this topic
chestycougth
  • chestycougth

Trick

• Members

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:20 PM Edited by chestycougth, 26 January 2012 - 06:31 PM.

Hi everybody!
I decided I wanted to learn programming recently, mostly as a hobby and I looked around on where to start and got the impression that python is a good beginner language. However I would like to start learning C++ because of its versatility and widespread use.
Should I bother learning python first or is it completely different from C++ ?
And if I shouldn't then how should I go about learning C++, or is there another beginner language which has more in common with C++ ?

PS, If anyone knows any concise beginner tutorials or good resources in any of those languages I would be eternally grateful for a link.
cheers.

PSS. Before anyone recommends learning html before a programming language - I already do

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:33 PM

You'll learn better programming practices if you start with C, then go onto C++. Python is a fantastic scripting language, and it's easy enough to learn, but it's not the best language to start with. If you don't already have a habit of writing clean code, you'll keep making a mess with it. And it provides a number of shortcuts for you which will make it more difficult to switch to a compiled language later on.

Leftcoast
  • Leftcoast

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:08 PM

I started learning Python, I had asked about learning C and C++ but a programmer friend steered me towards Python. Since I don't plan on being a real programmer, I just need to write scripts to help me for mechanical engineering purposes, he suggested Python on those grounds. I also found out later that several of my friends use Python to help them for mechanical engineering purposes.

My underlying point is in line with K^2's comment, I just wanted to throw out a use for python for people who may not necessarily need to be a programmer but want/need to learn some programming/scripting.

3niX
  • 3niX

Lazy idiot

• Members

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:13 AM

Well...

If you need something for engineering, you might as well use ScicosLab. If you want to interact with some piece of hardware then yeah... you could use Python but C and C++ are preferable.

Leftcoast
  • Leftcoast

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:48 PM

QUOTE (3niX @ Saturday, Jul 21 2012, 11:13)
Well...

If you need something for engineering, you might as well use ScicosLab. If you want to interact with some piece of hardware then yeah... you could use Python but C and C++ are preferable.

Good point, however, I'm not using to interact with hardware, tho if I start applying to test engineering jobs that would be a plus.

My friends have been using Python to write their own scripts to make aspects of their jobs easier. I'm not entirely sure what applications they are using it for, I will have to ask; however, enough people I know are using it to make me want it on my resume.

Long story short, I want it on my resume since there are companies that use it to aid my job function.

Funny side note, I have been re-tasked to work with test engineers for several weeks... confused.gif

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:25 AM

I recently started off with Python since the Raspberry Pi's main language is Python, and it is a very versatile language, and it's used in lots of application domains (meaning a lot of applications are programmed with it). In my opinion it's very easy to pick up rather than a lot of other languages, Python actually brings in a lot of other things from other languages. The good thing about Python is that you can create graphics, games, GUIs and a lot more.

I think it's a great learning tool. It will definitely help you out with other languages biggrin.gif . It's basic though, so I recommend starting with Python, and then moving onto other languages. C as K^2 mentioned is a great language to go onto next, but as a first language it is also good too!

I started with the three main languages of the web: HTML, JavaScript, and PHP. Then I moved onto other things.

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:54 AM

If you want to learn a programming language Python is easy, fast, and fun. If you want to learn to program C is going to teach you more, and leave you with the skills you need to learn other languages with less problems. Personally I used python until I got the gist of loops, and then tried a bunch of other languages, but don't use my experience as reference, I can't program for sh*t yet.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users