Quantcast

» «
Photo

Voldemort, the worst villain in movie history?

12 replies to this topic
IllnessGTA
  • IllnessGTA

Wannabe killer

• Members

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:19 PM

Am I the only person who thinks Voldemort is a crap villain? Forget about the books, I'm talking about the movies. He has a really goofy design (I swear to go, he is only memorable because of his nose), he failed to kill Harry many times, and he is just not threatening. His voice sucks as well. He was awesome in the first film, but after that....

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE (IllnessGTA @ Tuesday, Jan 24 2012, 19:19)
Am I the only person who thinks Voldemort is a crap villain? Forget about the books, I'm talking about the movies. He has a really goofy design (I swear to go, he is only memorable because of his nose), he failed to kill Harry many times, and he is just not threatening. His voice sucks as well. He was awesome in the first film, but after that....

He was two-dimensional, certainly. Absolutely no redeeming features whatsoever. And no reason for him to be that way, he was played as a sociopath even as a kid. In the books, Fenrir Greyback is by far the most memorable villain but in the movies Voldemort is made more acceptable by Fiennes excellent performance.

But simply put, a villain with no humanity is just not that compelling.
But I'm afraid that the worst villain is Freddie Mercury in Commando. Poor guy looks bloated as Hell and has this bizarre Australian accent going on. Absolutely awful.

Floro Solo
  • Floro Solo

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:55 PM

(I swear to go, he is only memorable because of his nose)

What nose?

IllnessGTA
  • IllnessGTA

Wannabe killer

• Members

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE (Floro Solo @ Tuesday, Jan 24 2012, 19:55)
(I swear to go, he is only memorable because of his nose)

What nose?

He does have a nose, you know biggrin.gif

Mike Tequeli
  • Mike Tequeli

American non-Voter at Heart

• The Connection

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:27 PM

QUOTE (Typhus @ Tuesday, Jan 24 2012, 19:26)

Really now? Often the most compelling villains are the ones who clearly have nothing that could remotely be identified as a conscience. People like Anton Chigurh in No Country for Old Men or Don Logan in Sexy Beast, to name a few, stand out as toally deplorable and awesome villains.

As for Voldemort, I think they did well with both the design and casting, so no he's probably not the worst movie villain ever.

IllnessGTA
  • IllnessGTA

Wannabe killer

• Members

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:09 PM

QUOTE (Mike Tequeli @ Tuesday, Jan 24 2012, 21:27)

As for Voldemort, I think they did well with both the design and casting, so no he's probably not the worst movie villain ever.

A design like that is not threatening. It's actually hilarious. He looks like a combination of a fish, snake and skinny teen. And the casting wasn't bad. It was just the lines and how there wasn't a single scene of Voldemort being threatening, or scary.

Toke
  • Toke

Gonna cover you in sh*t like a ton of pigeons

• Angels of Death MC
  • NATO

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:54 AM

QUOTE (Typhus @ Tuesday, Jan 24 2012, 12:26)

But I'm afraid that the worst villain is Freddie Mercury in Commando. Poor guy looks bloated as Hell and has this bizarre Australian accent going on. Absolutely awful.

Actually it wasn't Freddie Mercury. The actor who played Bennett is named Vernon Wells who is in fact Australian.

Sorry, I'm just a Commando buff. Not sure if you were speaking literally or not though so...meh.

OT-The brief glimpse you get of Sauron during the Fellowship of the Ring is far more scary and frightening than Voldemort. Perhaps that's just because during the entire trilogy it seemed Sauron was a emotionless being while Voldemort was often angry and emotional.

Slingaa
  • Slingaa

Unbowed, unbent, unbroken.

• Members

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:42 PM

Is him 'being remembered for him having no nose' really such a bad thing? He disfigured himself by killing innocent people for his own selfish reasons, that's pretty evil if you ask me.

IllnessGTA
  • IllnessGTA

Wannabe killer

• Members

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:00 PM

QUOTE (Slingaa @ Thursday, Jan 26 2012, 16:42)
Is him 'being remembered for him having no nose' really such a bad thing? He disfigured himself by killing innocent people for his own selfish reasons, that's pretty evil if you ask me.

He should have looked scarier, and more graphic though. He looks like a pale fish. That isn't even a good thing to be remembered as. There's no famous quote he has said, and everything he has done hasn't amazed anyone or made us go 'Woah. I would not mess with him.'

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE (IllnessGTA @ Tuesday, Jan 24 2012, 22:09)

A design like that is not threatening. It's actually hilarious. He looks like a combination of a fish, snake and skinny teen. And the casting wasn't bad. It was just the lines and how there wasn't a single scene of Voldemort being threatening, or scary.

He wasn't supposed to be physically imposing. When you're zapping death rays left, right and centre ,looking like a skinny teen doesn't really matter. Not to mention the fact that he's been raised from the dead. As for the nose thing, he's supposed to look like a snake remember. The whole Slytherin shtick is based around snakes.

I think he makes alright villain myself. His angle was all about revenge, to prove that he can't be bested by a child. The almost charming malevolence makes for an interesting antagonist in my opinion. I wouldn't necessarily say that he was scary, but Ralph Fiennes did a good job painting the picture that he was obviously a narcissistic psychopath. There's one bit in the last movie, I think it's when Hogwarts has its big magic-forcefield thing going on, where he just flips out and murders one of his followers for pretty much nothing. That's pretty unstable.

The whole Death Eater crew was pretty well executed in my eyes.

IllnessGTA
  • IllnessGTA

Wannabe killer

• Members

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:36 PM

QUOTE (Robinski @ Thursday, Jan 26 2012, 17:06)
QUOTE (IllnessGTA @ Tuesday, Jan 24 2012, 22:09)

He wasn't supposed to be physically imposing. When you're zapping death rays left, right and centre ,looking like a skinny teen doesn't really matter. Not to mention the fact that he's been raised from the dead. As for the nose thing, he's supposed to look like a snake remember. The whole Slytherin shtick is based around snakes.

I know that, but the design was so goofy that I couldn't take his personality and such seriously. I don't exactly mind the nose, but his lips are based off a common fish, and he is very skinny. His personality wasn't even that threatening. He tried to kill Harry SIX times, and failed.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:40 AM

QUOTE (Mike Tequeli @ Tuesday, Jan 24 2012, 16:27)

Really now? Often the most compelling villains are the ones who clearly have nothing that could remotely be identified as a conscience. People like Anton Chigurh in No Country for Old Men or Don Logan in Sexy Beast, to name a few, stand out as toally deplorable and awesome villains.

I agree with both of you to an extent. I think the fact that Voldemort was given such a backstory already really kind of ruined his scariness. The thing that makes villains like Chigurh so menacing is that he's a complete f*cking mystery. So what if he has no motivation, the audience has no idea who this guy is or what he's capable of. Woody Harrelson's character just baits the audience with small vagaries such that it makes him scarier. He was the fear of the unknown. Voldemort on the other hand is so well known as some sort of evil sorcerer that it didn't work as well.

JoshGTAfreak
  • JoshGTAfreak

Homie

• Members

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:41 PM

He's not the worst, but he isn't great. I really hate villains that have no reason to be evil. I personally think Malfoy's father is a better villain than Voldemort.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users