Photo

Humanity's Armageddon

58 replies to this topic
Irviding
  • Irviding

he's going to get into the ring and put boots to asses

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:36 AM Edited by Irviding, 15 December 2011 - 01:45 AM.

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Wednesday, Dec 14 2011, 06:35)
No individual in their right mind "hates Muslims"-

Then perhaps you've never been to New York City or the American South. There is a very high level of hatred in this country for Muslims. Look at the fear mongering of Obama being painted as a Muslim. When an old racist bitch asked McCain if Obama was an Arab, and said she didn't trust him for that, McCain answered by saying "No m'am, of course he's not an Arab! He's a trustworthy family man!" As if an Arab can't be that. You don't understand the sentiment in America against Muslims.

Then why else would the Republicans support Israel with such great conviction? In my town in NY, there are protests every week where a few hundred people set up American Flags next to Israeli flags and put "Barack HUSSEIN hates our Jewish Brothers because Allah tells him to", and they scream about how he is going to mint our coins with verses from the Qur'an. I have the unique position of living in areas where they hate the Muslims the most in this country (south of DC of course.. anywhere past Richmond you won't see a lot of friends of Muslims), and trust me, it ain't pretty. Go on World Net Daily or something, read some right wing American News... you'll see.

Of course they are a strategic country for US interests in the Middle East, but so is the UAE, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Turkey even.. I don't see any legitimate reason for them to support them to such an extent other than the shear hatred and fear of Muslims in the GOP.

Gtaman_92
  • Gtaman_92

Picture me rollin.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:06 AM

QUOTE (Irviding @ Thursday, Dec 15 2011, 01:36)

Then perhaps you've never been to New York City or the American South. There is a very high level of hatred in this country for Muslims. Look at the fear mongering of Obama being painted as a Muslim. When an old racist bitch asked McCain if Obama was an Arab, and said she didn't trust him for that, McCain answered by saying "No m'am, of course he's not an Arab! He's a trustworthy family man!" As if an Arab can't be that. You don't understand the sentiment in America against Muslims.

Then why else would the Republicans support Israel with such great conviction? In my town in NY, there are protests every week where a few hundred people set up American Flags next to Israeli flags and put "Barack HUSSEIN hates our Jewish Brothers because Allah tells him to", and they scream about how he is going to mint our coins with verses from the Qur'an. I have the unique position of living in areas where they hate the Muslims the most in this country (south of DC of course.. anywhere past Richmond you won't see a lot of friends of Muslims), and trust me, it ain't pretty. Go on World Net Daily or something, read some right wing American News... you'll see.

Of course they are a strategic country for US interests in the Middle East, but so is the UAE, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Turkey even.. I don't see any legitimate reason for them to support them to such an extent other than the shear hatred and fear of Muslims in the GOP.

This is america and in america there will always be some hatred towards a certain group. Saying to hate and distrust muslims is pretty f*cked up when NOT all muslims are evil and fear mongering, is rather pathetic people still think like this because of a small group of extremist decided to bomb the usa. What part of ny you live because they probably hate other religions and minorities as well?

Irviding
  • Irviding

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:43 AM

QUOTE (Gtaman_92 @ Wednesday, Dec 14 2011, 23:06)
QUOTE (Irviding @ Thursday, Dec 15 2011, 01:36)

This is america and in america there will always be some hatred towards a certain group. Saying to hate and distrust muslims is pretty f*cked up when NOT all muslims are evil and fear mongering, is rather pathetic people still think like this because of a small group of extremist decided to bomb the usa. What part of ny you live because they probably hate other religions and minorities as well?

Exactly. It is disgusting and bigoted, but it exists here. These guys don't get it. They aren't from around here and don't really see the racism prevalent. I personally am from Setauket in Long Island, but I go to school and live in DC. Just go a little south past Richmond and you find the same hatred for Muslims.

And yes, they probably do hate other groups. But the Muslim haters in NYC are a unique bread IMO. I find that they really are even very progressive liberals, but they still, as people who lived in the city when 9/11 happened, or harbor memories of it, view muslims with distaste. Something like 74% of my state was opposed to building a Muslim community center like 3 blocks from Ground Zero, one of which would be totally covered by adjacent buildings. This idea that people do not "hate" muslims is absurd. Come to the f*cking US for a week and you'll see. Listen to the political dialogue from the right.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:59 AM

My dad was watching this Nat Geo special about the Hubble Telescope and the Universe Expanding, that at some point Dark Matter will be stronger then Gravity and even molecules will separate and Atoms will separate, and basically, the TEAR in the Cosmos will spell our doom! No one can survive when that happens. They didn't mention Black Holes per se, but there was some compelling stuff on that program. You also didn't get an idea of how long of an event it would be till that happens, but the Hubble provided answers that no one had anticipated in the past! Amazing trek into Space

Nick Foster
  • Nick Foster

I like bagels. They're better than you.

• Members

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:01 AM

I honestly do not thing modern civilization will last another hundred years, without a huge catastrophie. (Spelling?) There's already 7 billion people in the word, what happens in 50 years? Resources will run out. There will be no more food. There simply wont even be enough space! Things in the Middle East are going to get much worse, America will continue to crumble, and China and Russia will wrestle with America to control the resources of the world. What happens when one country has more than the other? What happens when there's simply no more natural resources to run a modern civilization, and support the young and old? War. Very bad, all out nuclear holocaust. This is what I believe will happen. Call me crazy for being so detailed, but this is what I believe.

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:12 AM

QUOTE (Nick Foster @ Sunday, Dec 18 2011, 07:01)
There simply wont even be enough space!

This one's always annoyed me.Do you realise just how much space there is?You could comfortably put the entire world's population in Texas, at a population density lower than that of New York City. Obviously this is a hypothetical, a city that large wouldn't function at all, but it does prove the point that we aren't going to run out of habitable environments, not any time soon at least.

Viperman
  • Viperman

Logically Horizontal

• Feroci

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:08 PM Edited by Viperman, 19 December 2011 - 11:10 PM.

QUOTE (Slamman @ Thursday, Dec 15 2011, 09:59)
My dad was watching this Nat Geo special about the Hubble Telescope and the Universe Expanding, that at some point Dark Matter will be stronger then Gravity and even molecules will separate and Atoms will separate, and basically, the TEAR in the Cosmos will spell our doom! No one can survive when that happens. They didn't mention Black Holes per se, but there was some compelling stuff on that program. You also didn't get an idea of how long of an event it would be till that happens, but the Hubble provided answers that no one had anticipated in the past! Amazing trek into Space

Our local star dying in approx 4 billion years, expanding to such a size that earth will literally be engulfed by it, will kill man long before the end of the universe. I seem to remember it being mentioned at 126 billion years till that happens.

Jeeebuuus
  • Jeeebuuus

AKA So-crates

• Members

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:48 AM

What will be the downfall of mankind. We the people. Think of this as a personal test of character. Are you more willing to blame others for your problems or are you brave enough to radically change yourself for the better. The models for this transformation have always been there. Krishna, Jesus, Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr., ect. Even ones you've never heard of. JFK was even somewhat of a icon for peace even though he had to maintain a persona and got himself killed. This is a test of character and we, even I, am not willing to reach. We the people are the issue. Not government or the church or the schools or societal influence. We f*cked ourselves.

TheTrikstar
  • TheTrikstar

Skank!

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:52 PM

Do you think humans will be the agents of their own demise -- that we will make ourselves extinct because of our own flaws, our own errors in judgment, our own misdeeds?
> Or do you think humanity will become as extinct as every other species anyway, due to the same natural causes that eventually make all living things extinct?
> Or do you think humanity has a chance to avoid the fate of every other species so far, and to survive as a species indefinitely?

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:54 PM

Nothing lasts forever. Not even humanity. I don't think we'll exterminate ourselves completely. Our demise will probably come as a result of some natural occurrence.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Skål, jævler!

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:25 PM

Pretty sure there's another topic to this extent, but I can't find it now, so this one can stay open.

GTA_stu
  • GTA_stu

-

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:35 PM

Well the thing is we are a really adapted species, in fact the most adapted species that has ever lived. So even if there was a mass extinction event like the one that killed off the dinosaurs I don't think it would wipe us out. You're talking a really really huge catostrophic event that would be needed. A nuclear war just doesn't seem very likely to me at all, because no 2 countries that each have nuclear weapons would ever go to war. Just would make sense. And even if they did, the only 2 countries who posess enough nukes to seriously threaten the world would be the U.S and Russia, and I think they've learnt their lesson from the Cuban missile crisis and the cold war in general. I'm not saying it's impossible, but very very unlikely.

bobgtafan
  • bobgtafan

The last thing you never see

• Members

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:14 PM

Technological advancements continuation with resource depletion.

Irviding
  • Irviding

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:06 AM

QUOTE (GTA_stu @ Tuesday, Jan 24 2012, 10:35)
Well the thing is we are a really adapted species, in fact the most adapted species that has ever lived. So even if there was a mass extinction event like the one that killed off the dinosaurs I don't think it would wipe us out. You're talking a really really huge catostrophic event that would be needed. A nuclear war just doesn't seem very likely to me at all, because no 2 countries that each have nuclear weapons would ever go to war. Just would make sense. And even if they did, the only 2 countries who posess enough nukes to seriously threaten the world would be the U.S and Russia, and I think they've learnt their lesson from the Cuban missile crisis and the cold war in general. I'm not saying it's impossible, but very very unlikely.

That's simple deterrance theory - it lasts to an extent, but I think that if we really went to a war against the Russians and perhaps even the Chinese, I can see them being used by whichever side is about to fall.

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

©

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:36 AM Edited by sivispacem, 25 January 2012 - 07:55 AM.

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Monday, Jan 23 2012, 11:25)
Pretty sure there's another topic to this extent, but I can't find it now, so this one can stay open.

you sure do like trying to flex your internet mod muscle don't you..? rolleyes.gif lol
-that's because I am one, you pillock-

back on topic...

I believe humans greed and pride will eventually bring us to our own destruction.. Wars over land and politics and whatnot.

The sooner the human race realizes we're all in this together, the better.. We need to stop amplifying our differences and start recognizing our similarities..

Irviding
  • Irviding

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:26 AM

If you don't leave open multiple threads or enforce the board rules, you're bad. If you do you're bad and a disinformation agent. You have no luck sivis

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

©

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE (Irviding @ Wednesday, Jan 25 2012, 03:26)
If you don't leave open multiple threads or enforce the board rules, you're bad. If you do you're bad and a disinformation agent. You have no luck sivis

I'm just pointing out there's no need to take being an internet mod so serious..

I mean there's a point between doing the job you're told to do and becoming a power hungry mod who breaks the rules just to flex your own muscle.

Being a moderator for a site where the majority of the members are 10 year olds screaming about gta5 doesn't quite make you a badass.. or for that matter being the mod of probably the deadest section of the forum catspider.gif

Just don't take something so unimportant so seriously, it makes you look silly

Toup
  • Toup

Group: Cheesedicks

• Members

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE (GTA_stu @ Tuesday, Jan 24 2012, 16:35)

If it's so unlikely they go to war with nuclear bombs, why do they have them?

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Skål, jævler!

• United-Kingdom

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE (Toup @ Wednesday, Jan 25 2012, 20:00)
QUOTE (GTA_stu @ Tuesday, Jan 24 2012, 16:35)

If it's so unlikely they go to war with nuclear bombs, why do they have them?

Why have airbags in a car if you don't intend to crash it? Why own a firearm unless you intend to shoot everything that moves?

QUOTE (Irviding @ Wednesday, Jan 25 2012, 20:10)
Actually, this is the board that has the most rules and requires the most serious moderation. Get your head out of your ass and stop criticizing people who don't agree with you regarding 9/11 being an inside job.

This may fall on deaf ears, he's on an indeterminate ban currently.

Irviding
  • Irviding

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE (GrandMaster Smith @ Wednesday, Jan 25 2012, 13:40)
QUOTE (Irviding @ Wednesday, Jan 25 2012, 03:26)

I'm just pointing out there's no need to take being an internet mod so serious..

I mean there's a point between doing the job you're told to do and becoming a power hungry mod who breaks the rules just to flex your own muscle.

Being a moderator for a site where the majority of the members are 10 year olds screaming about gta5 doesn't quite make you a badass.. or for that matter being the mod of probably the deadest section of the forum catspider.gif

Just don't take something so unimportant so seriously, it makes you look silly

Actually, this is the board that has the most rules and requires the most serious moderation. Get your head out of your ass and stop criticizing people who don't agree with you regarding 9/11 being an inside job.

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (GTA_stu @ Tuesday, Jan 24 2012, 15:35)
And even if they did, the only 2 countries who posess enough nukes to seriously threaten the world would be the U.S and Russia, and I think they've learnt their lesson from the Cuban missile crisis and the cold war in general. I'm not saying it's impossible, but very very unlikely.

I'd like to think those people hovering over the Big Red Buttons across the world would have more sense than it, but in all likelihood I'd say that once a nuke has been properly confirmed (none of that false positive lark) as deployed everyone will be slamming those buttons hard. People panic. Everyone. And if someone's attacking your friend what means they won't come for you too if they're successful?

In essence my point boils down to that End of Ze World flash video from like 2002, but that kind of cheapens the point.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Skål, jævler!

• United-Kingdom

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE (Robinski @ Wednesday, Jan 25 2012, 20:47)
And even if they did, the only 2 countries who posess enough nukes to seriously threaten the world would be the U.S and Russia, and I think they've learnt their lesson from the Cuban missile crisis and the cold war in general. I'm not saying it's impossible, but very very unlikely.

I'd like to think those people hovering over the Big Red Buttons across the world would have more sense than it, but in all likelihood I'd say that once a nuke has been properly confirmed (none of that false positive lark) as deployed everyone will be slamming those buttons hard. People panic. Everyone. And if someone's attacking your friend what means they won't come for you too if they're successful?

In essence my point boils down to that End of Ze World flash video from like 2002, but that kind of cheapens the point.

The question is, even if this does happen, are we going to see a launch of all of then nuclear arsenals? I'm inclined to say no. I just can't see anything triggering a simultaneous release of all nuclear weapons, regardless of circumstance. Then there's the question of whether it would actually wipe out humanity? I'm sure that if you distributed them evenly across the earth's surface you'd annihilate almost all life, but that's not what's likely to happen in a nuclear war. The targets are going to be military command and control centres, then bases and government facilities, then industrial and economic infrastructure, then urban areas. In terms of geographical space, there's going to be nothing close to an even distribution.

I know I've brought it up in another thread, but currently (and at just about any time in history if I'm honest) the strategic implications of the offensive launch of a nuclear weapon by a rational actor are far more damaging than they are beneficial. The only state I can see being likely to use a nuclear attack is a rogue one, and even that's relatively unlikely. In an environment where significant numbers of rational state actors have such a damaging weapon, the likelihood is that no-one will use them. If the East and West didn't nuke each other into Armageddon in 1962 or 1983, then we're not going to do it now.

Viperman
  • Viperman

Logically Horizontal

• Feroci

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:25 PM

Oh, this topic again....

For those to lazy to scroll to the bottom of page 1..

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=495251

GTA_stu
  • GTA_stu

-

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Wednesday, Jan 25 2012, 20:19)
QUOTE (Robinski @ Wednesday, Jan 25 2012, 20:47)

The question is, even if this does happen, are we going to see a launch of all of then nuclear arsenals? I'm inclined to say no. I just can't see anything triggering a simultaneous release of all nuclear weapons, regardless of circumstance. Then there's the question of whether it would actually wipe out humanity? I'm sure that if you distributed them evenly across the earth's surface you'd annihilate almost all life, but that's not what's likely to happen in a nuclear war. The targets are going to be military command and control centres, then bases and government facilities, then industrial and economic infrastructure, then urban areas. In terms of geographical space, there's going to be nothing close to an even distribution.

I know I've brought it up in another thread, but currently (and at just about any time in history if I'm honest) the strategic implications of the offensive launch of a nuclear weapon by a rational actor are far more damaging than they are beneficial. The only state I can see being likely to use a nuclear attack is a rogue one, and even that's relatively unlikely. In an environment where significant numbers of rational state actors have such a damaging weapon, the likelihood is that no-one will use them. If the East and West didn't nuke each other into Armageddon in 1962 or 1983, then we're not going to do it now.

But surely you wouldn't need to actually have a nuclear weapon hit, or have impact upon every part of the earth. You'd only need a certain amount and there'd be too much radiation for anything to survive. What that "certain amount" is I have no idea. But I've always thought that that was the more present danger as opposed to everything just being obliterated by a blast, or several blasts.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Skål, jævler!

• United-Kingdom

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:36 PM Edited by sivispacem, 25 January 2012 - 10:39 PM.

QUOTE (GTA_stu @ Wednesday, Jan 25 2012, 23:06)
But surely you wouldn't need to actually have a nuclear weapon hit, or have impact upon every part of the earth. You'd only need a certain amount and there'd be too much radiation for anything to survive. What that "certain amount" is I have no idea. But I've always thought that that was the more present danger as opposed to everything just being obliterated by a blast, or several blasts.

Lots of factors affect the fallout of nuclear weapons. The first of which is the type of weapon- modern fusion type weapons generally produce comparatively little fallout compared to fission weapons. Of course, there's the local effects of Beta and Gamma radiation in the proximity of the detonation, but I'd argue that you've got far bigger things to worry about. The biggest threat is the irradiation of other materials and the effect that the spread of things like radioactive dust would have, but the amount of this created by even the largest of ground-level detonations is absolutely minute compared to the radiation emitted by, say, Chernobyl- which according to most reports only resulted in around 5,000 direct deaths and some estimate to be less than one hundred. Most nuclear weapons are detonated by air burst at significant altitude, using the pressure wave and heat to cause their damage and therefore the distribution of nuclear material in nuclear war using current nuclear strategy would probably be much smaller than one would think.

QUOTE (Viperman @ Wednesday, Jan 25 2012, 22:25)
For those to lazy to scroll to the bottom of page 1..

Thanks, merged.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:42 PM

I have it figured out. Zombie apocalypse. And it's coming. Soon. Newt Gingrich won in South Carolina. You have to be practically brain dead to vote for him. So those people are basically zombies. Prepare yourselves.

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

©

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Wednesday, Jan 25 2012, 11:10)

QUOTE (Irviding @ Wednesday, Jan 25 2012, 20:10)

This may fall on deaf ears, he's on an indeterminate ban currently.

What do people disagreeing with 9-11 have todo with anything..? lol

I'm just saying it's rather silly to get all amped up over being a mod as if it's actually important or something.. There are threads on the front page of D&D that are months old.. GTAF is based around little kids, no little kids give a sh*t about debating lol.

And what's an indeterminate ban? I got a msg saying to stop impersonating members because I put the forum leader pic as my avatar even though it was already taken down by then.. I don't really get the whole thing and I was never even banned mercie_blink.gif

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:45 PM

I think one man could cause the end of the world. If he was determined enough and had the right posistion, I think one man could really end all life on this pitiful little ball of mud. But the Earth is just a cog in the machine, now destroying the entire Universe, eradicating the sun and the moon and the stars, now that would be an accomplishment, that would be something. I'm sure there's a way to do it, there has to be. Anything can be destroyed if you hit it hard enough.

Irviding
  • Irviding

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:39 AM

Because you were making accounts in sivis' name.

The people here like to debate, actually. This board really isn't catered to serve 5 year olds

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users