Quantcast

» «
Photo

GTA IV Stops loading on second screen with text.

8 replies to this topic
Jerrydvp
  • Jerrydvp

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:07 PM Edited by Jerrydvp, 23 January 2012 - 03:46 AM.

Solved

This is my first "real" problem ever, i made sure to look around before i decided to make an account and post for help. I apologize if it's somewhere here already but 2 whole hours of searching made me give up. I didn't post in the troubleshoot section because i have mods, again, apologies if I'm wrong.

First, the problem. (This is exactly what is happening to me):
I start the game, the first page of text shows and i get logged into live. When the second page with text shows it just stops there forever.

I've waited up to ten minutes and still nothing.

Second, My PC Specs (No worries, i know it is retardedly lame but i have been running GTA IV with it for a long time...):

Windows 7 64bit
Processor:Intel Core 2 Duo E7300@ 2.66GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Ram:4gb
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 3400 Series
Hard Drive: WD Caviar Green 1tb
**I think that's all that matters atm, let me know if any additional info is needed.

Third, the only recent change i made was deleting all the files from this location because i thought that they were just clips that you record ingame using the phone:C:\Users\Me\Documents\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\Videos\Clips I deleted everything from it.
I didn't touch anything in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV folder.

Additional Info, what mods/texture packs/tools i have installed. *Please keep in mind that I've had these mods/packs for at least a month and playing fine*:

GTA IV ASI Loader 1.0.2 0b
Realistic handling
Radio mod
Script hook
Script hook.net
Fonias Road Textures
Carspawn
100 Cars Pack Vol.8
Traffic Control System

**I overclocked my gpu with GPU tool and i run MSI Afterburner when i play, i reverted(and re-installed latest ATI Drivers) to stock settings and played normal without either of these programs for the purpose of troubleshooting. Thank you in advance.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:27 PM

Have you maybe installed some patches or any new mods you may have forgotten about?

You should delete game settings, try using xliveless, try starting the game in safemode with the -safemode commandline switch and temporarily remove the asi loader to see if that changes anything.

Jerrydvp
  • Jerrydvp

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:41 PM Edited by Jerrydvp, 22 January 2012 - 06:18 PM.

No patches at all recently. No new mods either.(I make sure i keep whatever mods i download and use bookmarked and in a folder so i can know exactly where I'm at)

I tried deleting the game settings, same outcome.

Same outcome in safemode.

As for xliveless...i love MP but if i do try it, will i be able to revert back to being able to getting achievements and stuff like using my old savegames?

I'm going to patch it again and post results. (The 6th patch. Staying away from 7...)

**edit** No luck on the patch either...i have no idea of what the problem is. sad.gif I'm just gonna uninstall and do a clean install of the whole game...hopefully that works. Ty for the help.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:34 PM

xliveless doesn't introduce any permanent changes. When you reinstall, make sure the game installation folder is empty before you start the fresh installation.

Jerrydvp
  • Jerrydvp

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:11 PM Edited by Jerrydvp, 23 January 2012 - 03:44 AM.

Yea, i just made it keep the save files. Once it's finished i will update status. I hope it works.

**Edit**[U]
Took me a while but i did a complete re-install. When i went to my settings folder to re-add my old settings i noticed that there was no settings.cfg in the folder....only a settings_eflc.cfg confused.gif

I'm pretty sure that was the problem, so to anyone in the future that has this problem don't be as stupid as i was and re-install your whole game lol...make sure you still have your settings.cfg. (How in the world was that deleted??)

I loaded my game and i still have my savegames, which is all i care about and i didn't have to use xliveless, so i can still play multiplayer. I had time to defrag the HDD so i guess it wasn't a loss at all.

**Only downside is, it wouldn't let me log into live without doing an update which patched my game to 1.0.7.0 but whatever, i'll just find new mods that support this version (Yea right...)

Thank you for the help, keep up the good work . icon14.gif

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:41 PM Edited by mkey82, 23 January 2012 - 03:44 PM.

I'm about 99.8% sure the crashing had nothing to do with the missing settings file. In its absence, the game should just create a fresh one.

From your opening post I haven't gathered you're playing EFLC as well. The problem when using older EFLC/GTAIV versions is the settings file (actually, the problem is R* as they release patches without apparently any testing) which makes the one game crash after the other has modified the settings file.

Not sure about the order of things, the best I can recall would go somewhere along these lines:

Patch 6 for GTAIV and patch 1 for EFLC came out about the same time. The problem surfaces once you run EFLC as it would overwrite the existing settings file (the one possibly created by GTAIV) so the next time you started GTAIV it would crash or possibly freeze while loading. There was also a problem with savegames (possibly only the autosave slot, can't recall exactly) overwriting each other among the two game versions. Finally R* decided to release the final patch 7/2 for GTAIV/EFLC respectively to fix the mess. For this reason there should be no performance difference between the last two patches on both game versions and only the later ones should be used.

For possible performance benefits you can try out path 4 as well (as far as GTAIV goes). That patch should also be compatible with most mods. In that case you should really use xliveless to bypass GFWL completely. This will obviously disable the MP component, but to go online you'll need the latest game version anyway. Also, do not forget that xliveless acts as a loader, so you don't need additional user made plugin loaders. In fact, using more then one will probably give you more problems down the line.

Jerrydvp
  • Jerrydvp

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:41 PM

Ahh, I didn't post the fact that I had EFLC as well because i only played it once since i got it. (Mainly because i want to finish IV's story first. **OCD?) So I was kind almost sure it had nothing to do with it, since it hadn't been open for months.

For this reason there should be no performance difference between the last two patches on both game versions and only the later ones should be used.

This i didn't know. I was going to stay away from patch 7 but it did it on it's own...i didn't want to end the process and risk messing something up again. sad.gif #scared.

That said, I have 0 performance issues with a vanilla install of GTA so i'm keeping patch 7. I can run all the mods i posted without any issues except for any taxi bug fix or traffic spawner (which i have to use since whenever i install my car pack I only see taxi's) The problem is, once i add a taxi bug fix or traffic spawner, my textures seize to exist lol....they load really really slow. When i take the mod out, it works perfectly. I blame processor speed and memory.

I love MP, i almost can't live without it so xliveless and anything that stops me from having MP is out of the question lol.

Other than that, it's all great . cool.gif I just have to find a REAL texture loading fix WHILE i'm running my taxi fix. (I'm tired of using commandlines that really don't work at all and frikking cacheboost...smh. lol)

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:54 AM

Only more performance can fix the texture problem. Sometimes not even that biggrin.gif

Jerrydvp
  • Jerrydvp

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE (mkey82 @ Tuesday, Jan 24 2012, 09:54)
Only more performance can fix the texture problem. Sometimes not even that biggrin.gif

I fixed it with a lightweight car pack i found here smile.gif I love google. cool.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users