Photo

Importing Your Own Music

7 replies to this topic
MagneticAvenue
  • MagneticAvenue

I'd like to thank the Academy.

• Members

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:46 AM

Like any person, people have different tastes in music. Naturally, when playing a game like GTA with different genres of music in a radio playlist style, you will tend to listen to the same song over, and over, and over again. Or the same podcast (a la WKTT or Integrity 2.0) on repeat forever.

What if you could take music from a CD, put it on your console or PC (if you have a PC, imported from iTunes playlist or hard drive) and put it into your own radio playlist that you can change at anytime.

You could also choose from a variety of radio transitions or bumpers (where the radio station reminds you what you what station you are listening to with sound effects and other sounds) that can match the genre of music your certain playlist adheres to. For example, if you listen to metal, then you can choose from a few metal station transitions that the game provides for you.

Just an idea I came up with, so don't take too seriously. It's an idea that could be discussed and improved upon. If this topic has been covered before or if it belongs somewhere else, please let me know.

Xtreme921
  • Xtreme921

Not Today Zerg!

• Members

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:25 AM

Yeah one can dream but unfortunently I don't see it happening. sad.gif

Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:26 AM

QUOTE (MagneticAvenue @ Saturday, Jan 21 2012, 23:46)
Like any person, people have different tastes in music. Naturally, when playing a game like GTA with different genres of music in a radio playlist style, you will tend to listen to the same song over, and over, and over again. Or the same podcast (a la WKTT or Integrity 2.0) on repeat forever.

What if you could take music from a CD, put it on your console or PC (if you have a PC, imported from iTunes playlist or hard drive) and put it into your own radio playlist that you can change at anytime.

You could also choose from a variety of radio transitions or bumpers (where the radio station reminds you what you what station you are listening to with sound effects and other sounds) that can match the genre of music your certain playlist adheres to. For example, if you listen to metal, then you can choose from a few metal station transitions that the game provides for you.

Just an idea I came up with, so don't take too seriously. It's an idea that could be discussed and improved upon. If this topic has been covered before or if it belongs somewhere else, please let me know.

This was done in the Xbox version of GTA San Andreas, complete with ads playing between your songs. The Xbox versions of Vice City and GTA III have a similar feature but call it a tape player since there are no commercials mixed in. (Note: the feature only works when played on original Xbox hardware, not the Xbox 360 compatibility mode.)

For unknown reasons in GTA IV this feature was restricted to PC version ("Independence FM") and the only option for custom music on the Xbox 360 is the console's built-in music player, which silences in-game music (including all interior music and music you would hear coming from passing vehicles) and plays continuously over all gameplay rather than being integrated into the game world as a radio station.

MagneticAvenue
  • MagneticAvenue

I'd like to thank the Academy.

• Members

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:33 AM

QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Sunday, Jan 22 2012, 06:26)
QUOTE (MagneticAvenue @ Saturday, Jan 21 2012, 23:46)

This was done in the Xbox version of GTA San Andreas, complete with ads playing between your songs.

That's shocking. I had no idea. I wish that they would add this feature again.

Wubbzy
  • Wubbzy

Snitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:39 AM

The PC version of IV let you import your own music and IIRC it had ads/etc mixed in with it.

DarrinPA
  • DarrinPA

Orange Grove Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:23 AM

QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Sunday, Jan 22 2012, 01:26)
This was done in the Xbox version of GTA San Andreas, complete with ads playing between your songs. The Xbox versions of Vice City and GTA III have a similar feature but call it a tape player since there are no commercials mixed in. (Note: the feature only works when played on original Xbox hardware, not the Xbox 360 compatibility mode.)

This is why I prefer playing GTA III era games on the orginal xbox. It's especially nice having the ads mixed in on San Andreas. Although the GTA III era games already had great music, GTA IV could have REALLY used this option.

MrcTOtheJ
  • MrcTOtheJ

Cleaning the Trash since '94

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:54 AM

Well they did it on the Xbox and PC versions of III era games, and in PC IV too, so I'd love to see it return with consol support, even though I tend to love the sound tracks of GTA games, I find it nice to have some of my own music in there too so I can play a certain track that suits the moment at hand.

I don't know why it was PC only with IV, but a few games I know of this gen have custom soundtrack options though the HD, like Gran Turismo 5 to name one.

Personally Id love it, though Id only use it after I played the hell out of the game and the soundtrack got old.

ZombLee
  • ZombLee

I ♥ LC

• Members

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:58 AM

QUOTE (MagneticAvenue @ Sunday, Jan 22 2012, 05:46)

you know you can put media on your console's hard drive right? no CDs needed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users