Photo

Vice City on X-Box - Better Graphics ?

34 replies to this topic
mattek
  • mattek

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:56 PM

Hello, I would like to know whether in Vice City (as in the case of GTA III) on X-Box is a better graphics?
Ps. Sorry for my english but it's on medium level smile.gif

buzbegone
  • buzbegone

• Members

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:33 PM

Yep, that is the case with Vice City, the Xbox graphics are superior to both the PS2 and PC. Basically Xbox>PC>PS2

Your English is fine, don't worry about it wink.gif

mattek
  • mattek

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:10 PM

Thanks for fast reply.
I ask because I'll want to create X-Box VC mod for PC, but I have some problems with DffXboxToPC. I have Windows 7 and when I unpacked gta3.img from XBox VC I have many files. I can only convert files individually by dragging them to the exe file. How can i convert more files at once ?
Thanks in advance wink.gif

ChopTheDog.
  • ChopTheDog.

War. War never changes.

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:15 PM

Im assuming the "Extract one file at once" problem is due to your .IMG editor, Use G-IMG

If I'm incorrect I'm sorry, but I've never even looked at the Xbox files or how to convert them

mattek
  • mattek

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:24 PM

I unpacked the files from gta3.img but can not make the dffxbox2pc convert more than one file confused.gif

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:32 AM

The PC version looks A LOT better than both the PS2 and X-Box versions(I have played the X-Box versions on the 360, thanks to Backwards Compatibility) and it is still not as good as on PC...To back that up: On the PS2 and X-Box versions, I find myself having to squint to see the icons and stuff on the in-game radar and it is near impossible to read the street signs in-game on consoles-However, on PC I do not have to squint to see and read the radar, I can read the street signs as they are clear as can be, not to mention the driving and shooting is a lot easier with mouse and keyboard then it is using a controller...Here's some proof-Which looks better: This Console screen shot? This Console screen shot? This console shot? OR This PC screenshot? Or This PC Screen shot? or This PC screen shot? The SA screen shots for PC were taken on a PC that meets minimum for the Video card, and yet it still looks a lot clearer and better than the console equivalent-lol lol.gif tounge2.gif So, I really don't see how people feel the X-Box version is better graphics than the PC version-as seen in the above screen shot comparisons? Just Curious. confused.gif

For the record, the console screens were taken with an HD camera phone and the PC screens were taken with Fraps via F10 key...

This has been something I have been curious about for a LONG time, and is one of the main reasons I got a 360-to see the difference between the PS2, PC, and X-box versions...and have found(seen in the pictures above), that the PC version looks better and is not nearly as dark as the console versions...I have the brightness maxed out on the Console versions and it is still very dark when compared to the PC counterparts...? confused.gif

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:47 AM

Vice City and GTAIII were updated for XBOX release. They include e.g. more detailed car models, higher resolution textures and so on. That is not the case with San Andreas though, which looks more or less the same on XBOX and PC.

mattek
  • mattek

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:43 AM Edited by mattek, 22 January 2012 - 10:46 AM.

So in the version of the X-Box textures are in a higher resolution? I compared the texture of the hotel from the X-Box and PC and it look the same.

http://www.thegtapla...ox-screenshots/ <- looks some better mercie_blink.gif

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:52 AM

Not all textures are in higher resolution, just some of them.

buzbegone
  • buzbegone

• Members

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:04 PM

One thing that always bothered me in the PC version was the glove-like blocks the characters use for hands. III and VC feature individual bones and looks much better on the whole.

mattek
  • mattek

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:46 PM

So, it pays to convert these textures ?

NikoGTA4
  • NikoGTA4

Ringolo

• Members

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:22 AM

Lets not forget about the 3D rims on all the cars. In PC and PS2 version, it's only a texture but on the Xbox it's a whole model, in GTA3 anc VC.
Also the steering wheels in the cars are a pentagon in in the PC and PS2 version. In the Xbox version, it has a better shape.
Also in the PC and PS2 version, the characters fingers are all pasted together, which is not the case in the Xbox version.

Just a few examples.

buzbegone
  • buzbegone

• Members

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:25 AM

And those bitchin' 3d engines.

JasonBrody
  • JasonBrody

Thug

• Members

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:14 PM

Rockstar Vienna has done an excellent job on the Xbox conversion. Too bad they are not around any longer sad.gif

mattek
  • mattek

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:42 PM Edited by mattek, 23 January 2012 - 03:45 PM.

So as soon I will try the converting wink.gif
Do dffxbox2pc can convert more than one texture?

buzbegone
  • buzbegone

• Members

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:11 PM Edited by buzbegone, 23 January 2012 - 04:15 PM.

The cutscenes look better in general as well.

PC Version:

Xbox Version:

Added bonus, the Xbox introduction. Those hands.... those f*cking hands!

JasonBrody
  • JasonBrody

Thug

• Members

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:47 PM

Yeah, those hands. I was surprised when I first played San Andreas on my Xbox, the hands looked nowhere near as good as GTA III.

ccrogers15
  • ccrogers15

REQUESTED BAN

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:39 AM

GTA 3 and VC look great on Xbox. BUT Sanandreas is all watered down looking, the cars are all milky looking too. The only good thing about xbox SA is that it supports HD displays and has better draw distance.

Niall
  • Niall

• Members

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:10 AM Edited by Niall, 24 January 2012 - 05:13 AM.

I just got the double pack for Xbox a month ago and just finished III and am going to start VC this weekend, can't wait. I was amazed at how good it looked, I've played both games on PS2 an PC and I thought the XB looked the best (without mods) no doubt.
Plus, if the rumors are true we may see the best looking (official) version yet, or a step back to PS2 models.

mattek
  • mattek

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:46 PM

I can not do that. It is not my skill. Are the creators of the X-Box Mod for GTA III, they will do it for Vice City?

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:01 PM

I think the PC resolutions will be dependent upon your PC's specs and the video capability of your PC and monitor... so for some it will look better then xbox and others worse--

You guys are trying to compare APPLES (xbox) to EVERY ORANGE IN THE WORLD (pc) tounge.gif

The accepted conventional wisdom regarding video resolution is that:

PC (slightly)> xbox > PS2/3

My 2 cents...

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

Let's Bounce

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:27 PM

No, actually the XBox version is "better". It has more effects and reflections, the fire textures are different and so are all particles'. You can't make the PC version look like that, only with mods really. The same happens with GTA III. The GTA that had like no difference was GTA SA, only the PS2 had worser graphics and textures.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:13 PM

I have to agree with Spuds here, as it all boils down to your PC's specs and Video card/monitor whether or not the game looks better on PC or not....

The ONLY GTA where I never noticed a big difference in graphics between consoles and PC is GTA III...VC, and SA look way better on PC...Even IV and EFLC look better on PC-a big difference there, is that you can see the radar and health and armor bars a lot clearer. The Audio is also a lot clearer on PC, whereas you can actually hear the radiostations and cutscenes a lot better without having to turn the volume up a lot and the quality sounds better...

So, I think Spuds "hit the nail on the head" here...Spuds knows a lot about the console versions(more than me anyway, as I am more knowledgeable in the PC area)... smile.gif

@buzbegone, no offence tounge2.gif , but you can't really go by the comparison of the videos you posted for the PC version, as it looks like you have mods installed and the console versions do not have mods...Here's proof that the console versions looks similar to the PC version with an AMD Sempron 798MHZ processor, 256mb ram, and a VIA/SIS video card w/32mb vram and XP Home SP2:
I thought I had a video up of VC on my PC with the HD video card, but that is the only one I have-it is from back when-like 2006, I think? I'll post one of those videos in a bit..Also, the X-Box and PS2 versions are way too dark-even with the Brightness on maximum in the in-game settings, whereas this is not the case on PC.

buzbegone
  • buzbegone

• Members

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE (radioman @ Wednesday, Jan 25 2012, 23:13)
@buzbegone, no offence  tounge2.gif , but you can't really go by the comparison of the videos you posted for the PC version, as it looks like you have mods installed and the console versions do not have mods..

Those aren't my vids, I just found some random VC ones to prove a point. If it did, that would invalidate your point a bit.
As far as I know, there's only a PC mod for the vehicle models (rims, 3d engines) I'm not sure about you guys, but I preferred the orignal PS2/PC rims to the Xbox ones. They just look too much like a modification by some ragtag modder
To be fair, the PC has been evolving every day since Vice City's release wheras the Xbox has evolved to the 360 but doesn't really offer any benefits.
You really can't deny that the Xbox version has better character and car models.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• Feroci Racing
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:26 PM

The Xbox version DOES have better character models and better vehicle models as well as better particle effects. Granted Vice City never got the major update GTA III got on the Xbox, but there's enough on the Xbox version of Vice City to warrant it being called the best version, yes the PC can render in a higher resolution, but it's still using the low poly models from the PS2/PC where as the Xbox version has High Poly models, better bones for characters, 3D Engines and Wheels, etc.

Just to rub it in even more "The Audio is also a lot clearer on PC,", actually in the case of GTA III, the Xbox version was remastered in 44.1Khz and still to this day (even after GTA3 Mobile) the Xbox version of Grand Theft Auto III has the best frequency range and clarity for the radio stations for that game. The remastered versions were made available on the PC version, knocked back down to 32Khz (still a massive improvement for Chatterbox) at a later date but only for the Digital Distribution versions (Steam, GamersGate, etc).

And in case you don't know why, it's because Grand Theft Auto III and Vice City, the Xbox versions, came out over a Year (VC)/Two Years (GTA3) after the PC release and this was when Rockstar Vienna were around who put loads of effort into their ports to try and include as many updates to the games engine as they could.

Darkel2001
  • Darkel2001

Revolutionary

• Members

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:02 AM Edited by Darkel2001, 29 January 2012 - 06:31 AM.

PC version is be able to play in resolutions higher than the Xbox version's 480p, but the Xbox version has better everything else... Textures, character models, vehicle models, lighting, and effects are all improved. There's real-time reflections on cars and a nice sun specular highlight on vehicles and roads. It's no contest, really... The Xbox version looks significantly better than the PC/PS2 versions. biggrin.gif

sibs44
  • sibs44

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE (Darkel2001 @ Sunday, Jan 29 2012, 00:02)
PC version is be able to play in resolutions higher than the Xbox version's 480p, but the Xbox version has better everything else... Textures, character models, vehicle models, lighting, and effects are all improved. There's real-time reflections on cars and a nice sun specular highlight on vehicles and roads. It's no contest, really... The Xbox version looks significantly better than the PC/PS2 versions. biggrin.gif

I play VC on Xbox 360 and it renders at 1080p no jaggies.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE (sibs44 @ Thursday, Feb 2 2012, 14:07)
QUOTE (Darkel2001 @ Sunday, Jan 29 2012, 00:02)
PC version is be able to play in resolutions higher than the Xbox version's 480p, but the Xbox version has better everything else... Textures, character models, vehicle models, lighting, and effects are all improved. There's real-time reflections on cars and a nice sun specular highlight on vehicles and roads. It's no contest, really... The Xbox version looks significantly better than the PC/PS2 versions.  biggrin.gif

I play VC on Xbox 360 and it renders at 1080p no jaggies.

So your gta VC is rendering at 1080P and it looks better then gta IV that renders at 720P???

I think your tv/xbox is lying to you... wink.gif

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE (mattek @ Saturday, Jan 21 2012, 16:24)
I unpacked the files from gta3.img but can not make the dffxbox2pc convert more than one file confused.gif

Read the accompanying readme.txt or search the forum for the thread dedicated to my tool. biggrin.gif

Or in short: put dffxbox2pc into a directory that contains all the files you want to convert. Open a (MS-DOS) console and navigate to said directory. Type: dffxbox2pc *
Watch the conversion process begin. Avoid converting more than 100 or 150 files at a time. All further questions in my dffxbox2pc thread please.

Alex

Raptomex
  • Raptomex

Listen to Slayer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:57 AM

Does playing GTA 3 or VC on 360 stutter for anyone else? Not lag but like, the traffic in general, just stutters? I mean I can play them on my original Xbox but I'm just curious.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users