Photo

GTA V, Boring?

80 replies to this topic
IllnessGTA
  • IllnessGTA

Wannabe killer

• Members

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE (Jacko427 @ Saturday, Jan 21 2012, 02:35)

Anyway, IF V has only one city, then it will be boring.

It's obviously going to be one city.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:11 PM Edited by Miamivicecity, 21 January 2012 - 02:15 PM.

It's interesting how people think one city automatically means boring. Was this the case with GTA III and VC? Keep in mind GTA had multiple cities, so being confined to one city up until SA wasn't all we knew.

Durden
  • Durden

The annoying voice in your head

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:24 PM

Idk right now, I'm 80% believing the only city is Los Santos, but there's a small part of me that believes there will be Las Venturas and San Fierro...

Either way, GTA and boring never go in the same sentence, unless you have a severe concussion like if someone shot you in the head.

Gtaghost22
  • Gtaghost22

• Members

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:44 PM

GTA V was NOT boring at least for me. I mean it didn't have as much freedom as GTA:SA but it wasn't boring..i had so much fun playing GTA IV i liked the realistic feel to the game.. The story was really good.. The voice acting was top notch.. And DLCs was a hell of alot of fun (esp.TBOGT).. People only hated GTA IV because it was.. Wait for it.......

REALISTIC!!!!

senor_huevos_benedicto
  • senor_huevos_benedicto

Tell your friends. Tell your neighbours. Tell Randy Gonzales.

• Members

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE (Cole Phelps Gta @ Saturday, Jan 21 2012, 02:49)
Like a salior said quote aint that a hole in the boat

I f*cking love that song.

SevenMice
  • SevenMice

Snitch

• Members

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE (thatguy23 @ Saturday, Jan 21 2012, 02:55)
How the hell was IV boring. You should should remember there is a ton of other games that were much more boring then IV.

When you finished the game there was jack sh*t to do besides drive around.

AB0333
  • AB0333

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:19 PM Edited by AB0333, 21 January 2012 - 04:21 PM.

GTA V

CAN NEVER

BE

BORING !!!

user posted image

el_roy1985
  • el_roy1985

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:20 PM

IV did lose my interest a few times, it was by no means boring though. I enjoyed all the storylines, most of the missions and had many many hours of fun online. It could have definitely used more features, but IV was just the beginning, V will be all that and then some. It may only be one city, and if it is, Im sure there will be small towns in the surrounding countryside. My guess is it will have more then one city, along with small towns. R* isn't calling this their biggest game for no reason.

So no, it will not be boring. No GTA has been yet. We'll probably have more to do then we have ever had in a GTA game. There are plenty of realistic things they can add for fun. This is no time to go backwards with realism and end up with a SR type of game. Cause then I wouldn't even buy it.

jalaldinho
  • jalaldinho

Mark Chump

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE (Gtaghost22 @ Saturday, Jan 21 2012, 15:44)
GTA V was NOT boring at least for me. I mean it didn't have as much freedom as GTA:SA but it wasn't boring..i had so much fun playing GTA IV i liked the realistic feel to the game.. The story was really good.. The voice acting was top notch.. And DLCs was a hell of alot of fun (esp.TBOGT).. People only hated GTA IV because it was.. Wait for it.......

REALISTIC!!!!

You played GTAV ?

lol.gif

whittle13
  • whittle13

I'm not a mod

• Members

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:40 PM

I don't like this thread.

Zip87
  • Zip87

Thug

• Members

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:16 PM Edited by Zip87, 21 January 2012 - 06:20 PM.

For me personally, both III and IV were boring, not only because of the lack of things to do, but the setting as well (that's just me though, never been a big fan of NY). That aside as much as III was to the previous era to pave the way technologically, it is understandable it lacked the features. Once they had the "skeleton" of the games, they could concentrate more on the muscles.
I believe this is going to be the same with V. IV was the first attempt at the technological advance and it wasn't that bad, considering. RDR was even more of an improvement on all fields to that, while MP3 is bringing even more to the table, so I'm not worried about it at all, being fun.
The only thing I hope returns is the character customization depth. Yeah, some might say it isn't a big deal, just pick whatever pre-made outfits you are given and I agree, it isn't my main pont, but I always liked that feeling in SA, while I had this original character CJ, who had his own story and personality, it also felt like he's a little bit of my creation. With RDR, Vice City, LA Noire, IV etc, I always felt like bit of an outsider to the main characters.

I did like the realism of IV, but I think there can be a lot of side-missions, activities that do not necessarily add to the main story, are fun, do add to the character/enviroment, are helpful and is to the players advantage, but still realistic. Hitman missions were great, but they could be a little more in-depth. Choosing methods between going guns blazing, or taking only a silencer with a couple of bullets just enough to take the target out and succeed in different ways both times. But don't even have to go that deep, just the small challenges in RDR were great fun to do, I wouldn't mind similar things in V, just lots and lots more, with different rewards. An extended clip for this weapon challenge, a special mask for that, a unique bike spawning somewhere for a completing 10 bike challenges, you know what I mean.
They don't even have to be big things. Even just the sharpshooter challenges which make you do 10 headshots in 5 seconds or something are fun to go after, to get that extra little achievement. There should be more of these. Dirtbike challenges, monster trucks, it's Vinewood, why not do stunts? You know what I'm talking about.
So even if they want to go more gritty, story oriented, there's no reason any of these shouldn't be in. If John Marston had time to throw some horseshoes and play high-stakes poker while his family was locked up by the FBI, I don't see why the protag of V couldn't do meaningless, but fun stuff.

LoveMediaExecutive
  • LoveMediaExecutive

Love Media's Personal Money Launderer

• Members

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:11 PM

Hate to break it to the gaming public but all games can get a little boring after a long or short while, it's not something new that was just discovered people get tired of playing the same game after a while and want a change, they have every right to pop in a new game if they so please if they get bored with GTA and don't want to play it after a while, even the much worshiped San Andreas got boring for some after awhile. Of course people are going to reply and say "GTA NEVER BORING, GO PLAY (INSERT OTHER GAME HERE)!" but be honest, after the story is done it can get boring but there's nothing that can change that because guess what, it's still a videogame and videogames can get boring after you play them for countless hours. Also take into account individual taste, personally I'm less likely to get bored with IV than San Andreas because I prefer IV's setting and story to San Andreas, although I'm not saying V will be more boring than IV to me just because of the setting as it looks like V will have a different take on Los Angeles than San Andreas did, others feel differently and prefer the setting of San Andreas to IV and were bored with IV but who am I or anyone else to say they can and cannot say this or that just because it's some kind of rule that everyone who plays a GTA game must like a certain game over the other because of what the masses or media trolls say, just get over it and play the games you actually like, I do.

But as for V, it's most likely going to be as fun as every other GTA game, I know people will point to the press release saying it's a massive new direction and such but I'm not a believer in the PR jive, GTA will always be at it's core doing jobs for organized crime figures which involve high-speed chases and intense shoot-outs all while set on a path to some sort of personal vengeance, you can scoff at that all you want but all previous GTAs had vengeance in them somewhere because having a crime story without it seems a bit ludicrous as there are people who always cross you in that line of work and in that line of work you have the guts and firepower to do something about it.

jlamay
  • jlamay

Lost In Liberty City

• Members

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:28 PM Edited by jlamay, 21 January 2012 - 07:30 PM.

I do miss the planes in 4. Me and CJ loves to fly planes.

I loved GTA 4!! Niko Bellic has a fan!! There are things in it I miss, and some things I'd like a lot less of. But I did like the storyline, I like watching the cutscenes, and think about the voices being made. I loved the city and walking Niko around at night. I do that in every GTA game I have. I'm always walking the character around looking at the buildings, lights at night. It's amazing to me how they do all this. It was really amazing looking at a pic of 4's script. That thing was HUGE!!! It racks my mind how they do all this.

So, maybe next time your playing 4 and it gets boring, think of something else while your playing it. Maybe it won't get soo boring then.

I don't think I will get bored with gta 5. I'll think of something to think about after the storyline is over. I hope it's freeroam. I love that. And I hope it will be for PS 3. I don't play games on the internet.

Freezer89
  • Freezer89

• Members

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE (Zee @ Saturday, Jan 21 2012, 04:30)
gta4 did get stale after a while, but Nothing, NOTHING will ever be as boring as LA Boire(ing)

Pff.. I enjoyed that game and it was definitely not that boring. I think it was worth to buy that game (also the pc port was not too bad like IV). Especially for just 13 (steam holiday sale on christmas) and played around 30 hours.

QUOTE (Los Santos Pedestrian @ Saturday, Jan 21 2012, 05:31)
QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Saturday, Jan 21 2012, 04:10)
LA Noire wasn't designed for the "lolz". It was a heavily story driven game with the city serving as a back drop.

LA Noire was the most serious R*/Team Bondi/Whateverthef*ck game I've seen in a while. If you want really crude and stupid humor, go kill people with a dildo in GTA San Andreas or play Saint's Row 3.

Exactly.

Zip87
  • Zip87

Thug

• Members

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:39 PM Edited by Zip87, 21 January 2012 - 08:44 PM.

Can't compare LA Noire to GTA. LA N isn't a sandbox game. Sure it does have a big map and driving, but it doesn't serve the same purpose as in a GTA or a Saints Row game. LA Noire is a modern take on old-school point and click adventures.

It's an impressive game though, lot of people miss the point and write it off as boring. The driving/shooting mechanic tricks them into assuming it's a sandbox type, while it's actually more of a puzzle game.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:57 PM Edited by ThePinkFloydSound, 21 January 2012 - 09:03 PM.

QUOTE (Sargent Slaughter @ Saturday, Jan 21 2012, 03:47)
I feel the key is feeling that the missions are working towards something, for a reason.

A lot of the missions in gtaiv, Niko never wanted to do them, he was just doing as he was told by almost everyone in the damn city, and acting as if he needed money for something. He had 80,000 dollars and still said he needed damn money.. then there's f*ck all to spend it on.

I think if its as boring as GTAiv I'll be very sad as it'll be to me the downward spiral for the franchise.

Although, i really doubt this, i think rockstar will focus more on the fun that made III, VC, and SA a delight to spend 300 hours playing..

This is how I felt about IV. I wouldn't call the game boring but it kind of was compared to Vice City or San Andreas. You nailed it with the Niko thing. With CJ, you were rooting for him because he was being picked on by the cops. This automatically made you bond with him. He was the underdog, being f*cked around by authority abusing their power. The focus wasn't in the kids being criminals it was the bent cops.

I couldn't root for Niko because he seemed to be doing all this sh*t in vein. He wanted some closure to find out why he was sent up the river and he seemed to do any sh*t for anyone. It seemed like he was less forced to do what he did but was doing it cause he couldn't let it rest.

It's funny, cause I thought I'd bond with Niko more than I would CJ but CJ seemed more like a guy I wanted to see win. CJ being the player = me. Niko, I was only curious to see what happened in the end.

Tommy Vercetti was just a bad ass and I wanted to see him take over Vice City.

I just hope Rockstar give us a character we want to see do well. After all the bonding we have with a 3rd person character is because we can empathise with them. Also, we're controlling them so Rockstar can try do a take me serious, GTA again or they can go have fun with V. Stop trying to prove themselves as serious writers and do what they know is fun and rewarding for the player.

I think they can do it.

@miamivicecity: No man, GTA III - 3D was brand new and the idea of a free-roam, living city was revolutionary. Vice City took that format, went back in time to another era and totally changed the location and did their spin on 80's Miami. Then San Andreas took that formula added 2 more cities, went forward in time but still in the past, added countryside, desert, and even more features. IV went to one city, in the present and left out a huge amount of features and by this stage the idea of a free-roam living city isn't a new or fresh concept. So you see that progression. It's like we were being taken higher then just plummeted. Yes, there was more detail in IV but that was expected.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:51 AM

QUOTE (SevenMice @ Sunday, Jan 22 2012, 03:04)
How the hell was IV boring. You should should remember there is a ton of other games that were much more boring then IV.

Bullsh*t. What about the unfinished side missions or even multiplayer? sarcasm.gif

JoanCrawford
  • JoanCrawford

Homeboy

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:55 AM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Sunday, Jan 22 2012, 00:51)
QUOTE (SevenMice @ Sunday, Jan 22 2012, 03:04)

Bullsh*t. What about the unfinished side missions or even multiplayer? sarcasm.gif

Well guys, it doesn't really matter. We have V now and I'm sure there will be tons to do in it, as made evident by the trailer.

Gregers08
  • Gregers08

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:05 AM

Of course it won't be boring they seemed to have learnt their lesson judging by tbogt which got the balance of IV an III style gameplay just right, not to mention they know the bank heist was everyones favourite mission so you know they'll work with that feedback in mind.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:50 AM

Episodes and Lost and Damned still concentrated on adding story driven mission tasks, some redux radio and graphics, Initially I suspected DLC could include new maps, I'd be rethinking that possibility, but their story crafting really is much improved, but even in GTA 3, the story was still enjoyable enough to make the game.

I think several KEY points, characters, minigames, the main plot, side characters, all the key elements that they spend quality time to make GTA succeed

Wannabe in LS
  • Wannabe in LS

Trick

• Members

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:08 PM

For me, the beauty of IV was the city. How one moment you could be walking through one of the disparate neighbourhoods as a citizen, behaving, minding your own business. Then an NPC bumps into you and you've got two choices. Continue to walk and shrug it off, or snap and escalate the situation. That's what sets GTA apart from the imitators; the madness is there if you want it, but not forcing you to confront it if you don't.

I love to explore game worlds and there's nothing worse than when that is broken by some guy attacking me (Just CAuse 2 springs to mind) and forcing the story upon me. That's not really much of a sandbox if I don't get the choice to instigate it. Rockstar know and appreciate this and that's why you've been shown people hiking in the mountains, or driving through a wind farm - they know they have users like me who use their games as a sort of virtual vacation as well as being interested in having a hand in playing out the narrative.

As for LA Noire, since it was mentioned, I don't think anyone expected it to be GTA in 1947, but I would have liked more activities to flesh out the protagonist between cases. A little bowling, dancing, and yes, shopping would have been nice. The pacing of it doesn't really reward exploration and neither do the hidden cars. Yeah I have this beautiful Ford hot rod, but I can't really do anything more than drive through an urban area in it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users