Photo

Aircraft Discussion

352 replies to this topic
Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:22 PM Edited by Outcast, 15 April 2012 - 07:25 PM.

QUOTE (Pico @ Sunday, Apr 15 2012, 09:06)
Feel this would be the best place to get some ideas here.
I'm considering working on a customer RC plane. I want to do a jet based plane, so it'll be using an EDF motor (jet style fan configuration with an electric motor). If you could have an remote controlled plane, which one would you go with?

Not a big fan of EDF motors. I prefer those turbine engines, those are some proper crazy engines.

Id go with something cool like a Concorde or something.

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:57 AM Edited by Pico, 24 April 2012 - 05:00 AM.

I wouldn't want to think of the cost involved with an actual turbine powered RC plane. The skill needed alone to pull it off is great.

As for the plane, I've been slowly working on it. Just made a hot wire foam cutter so I can (hopefully) shape the wings properly. I started on the fuselage, got a basic shape of... something. I think I'm going to work on a WWII style prop fighter, something like a P-51/Zero/P40/Warhawk. From what I've heard, a low slung wing is tough to fly for a beginner, but I'm willing to risk it. It'll be about 28 inches/.71m long with a wingspan of about 31-32 inch wing span.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:10 AM

You're right, one turbine engine will probably set you back a couple Gs. What EDF motors do you have right now? And if you're going with something classic why don't you just use props instead?

Keep us updated on your progress smile.gif

visionist
  • visionist

Eat A Peach For Hours

• Members

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:56 PM Edited by visionist, 24 April 2012 - 01:17 PM.

Concorde wasn't Great "for its time". It remains great today. Ten years ago I could leave NYC at midday and arrive in London at 11AM.

Now, I cannot.

This is a very important topic regarding technological regression. Boeing's 2707 project would have cemented Supersonic transports in the industry: every flight would today be Supersonic with 747s relegated to freight duties. The 2707 project called for a titanium/stainless-steel swing-wing widebody with a glass cockpit (the first ever concieved) to cruise at 2000MPH at 80000 feet. The technology remains staggering to this day. Funding was pulled when sonic-boom issues became political. Typical. Only a mock-up was built.

user posted image user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Now imagine replacing all those (millionaire) plebian seats with your very own Billionaire's facilities...
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

Until we can break the control fossil fuels have on us today, only then will an SST really be feasible. As soon as the first 747 hit the markets the SST was dead. Its always gonna be about the money no matter how fast or how high an aircraft can fly, unfortunately. sad.gif

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Absolute Dunkel:Heit

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

QUOTE (Outcast @ Tuesday, Apr 24 2012, 08:10)
You're right, one turbine engine will probably set you back a couple Gs. What EDF motors do you have right now? And if you're going with something classic why don't you just use props instead?

Been working so I didn't spot this.

It's perfectly possible to build micro-turbojets from scrap turbochargers. By "perfectly possible" I mean "extremely difficult if you don't have access to CNC milling equipment", but even with someone designing and building many of the components for you, it's cheaper than a couple of grand. There have been a few relatively tech-savvy people in both the US and the 'States who have built them for less than about 100. In fact, I know someone at the moment who is building a multi-stage micro-turbofan from small turbodiesel turbochargers.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Tuesday, Apr 24 2012, 17:28)
QUOTE (Outcast @ Tuesday, Apr 24 2012, 08:10)

Been working so I didn't spot this.

It's perfectly possible to build micro-turbojets from scrap turbochargers. By "perfectly possible" I mean "extremely difficult if you don't have access to CNC milling equipment", but even with someone designing and building many of the components for you, it's cheaper than a couple of grand. There have been a few relatively tech-savvy people in both the US and the 'States who have built them for less than about 100. In fact, I know someone at the moment who is building a multi-stage micro-turbofan from small turbodiesel turbochargers.

i meant something like this

Off the shelf an RC turbine costs at least a grand, but of course if you have the know-how to make one yourself it would be cheaper. I mean just compare an Alienware desktop to a DIY with the same specs, the price difference is quite noticeable.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

QUOTE (Outcast @ Tuesday, Apr 24 2012, 18:50)
Off the shelf an RC turbine costs at least a grand, but of course if you have the know-how to make one yourself it would be cheaper. I mean just compare an Alienware desktop to a DIY with the same specs, the price difference is quite noticeable.

The biggest issue will always be fuelling one. Though you can run them on just about anything in theory, most of the commercially-available ones need a jet fuel/racing 2-stroke oil mix to avoid them seizing up and whilst racing 2-stroke oil is easy to buy, jet fuel isn't. I suppose you could run one on a kerosene/oil mix, but I doubt you'd see a very long service life out of it.

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:58 AM

Sorry, forgot to mention I've ditched the EDF motor idea for this one, going to go with a single standard prop.

As for the cost with a turbine, it's not just the engine itself. Aside from it and it's required co ponents, you're also looking at the need for high strength materials. Standard services won't do. If you're kithing that much work into it then you're likely adding retractable landing gear with closing doors and possibly extra flaps, so with that you can't use a standard 4 or 5 channel wireless sender/receiver unit... it all keeps adding up until you've spent countless hours and thousands. Not a project I'm looking to get into lol.
Now a quick and dirty jet powered one... could probably do within $500. It won't be pretty and too much speed may tear it apart, but it'd work, hahah.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

have you decided what sort of aircraft you're building?

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Catch a ride!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:29 PM Edited by illegal_luggage, 10 May 2012 - 12:53 AM.

Have any of you heard an A380 take off? It's pretty damn quiet!

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:59 PM Edited by Outcast, 11 May 2012 - 03:01 AM.

Yeah, I've flown on the Emirates and Singapore Airlines A380 numerous times. All throughout 2009-2011, I flew the Singapore Airlines A380 exclusively between Europe and Asia. I now fly KLM though as they've opened some new routes to Asia which serve me better than SQ.

The A380 is damn quiet though and the seats are noticeably wider, the difference is apparent when you connect from an A380 to a B777. To be honest, I'm not much of a fan of the A380. The 747-8I, on the other hand, I cannot wait to fly on.

EDIT: you know what would be cool? if there were a proper A380 competitor. Something like this would be awesome

McDonnell Douglas MD-12 (concept)
user posted image

thecommander
  • thecommander

You can forget about the miscarrige or keep drinking.

• Members

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:56 PM

Living outside of Philadelphia, I fly US Airways the most. Although a lot of people hate them, I have never had a bad experience on them. I want to become a pilot and in all likelihood I would probably be flying for a regional airline here. My favorite plane is the Embraer e-jet family. I know it's nothing compared to a 777, 747, or A380 but I like it.
user posted image

BTW: Outcast, I notice your sig is Porter Air, are you connected with them in any way?

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:30 PM

No connection to Porter Air, I just love turboprops. lol

Its interesting to see another E-Jet admirer. I flew on an E-190 for the first time last summer from KNH to RMQ. Absolutely thrilled!

SmC12
  • SmC12

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:50 PM

I love the E-Jets! Small, fast, reliable. You have everything you need in an E-Jet and I think they're definately underrated.

I've seen some videos from an A380 and I was really suprised just how quiet they were. Even on the outside they don't sound at all like you'd expect. Also I was watching a takeoff video from a 777 with RR Trent 800's, with that glorious whining and roaring. Then I watched a 787 takeoff, my god, it's almost completely silent! I think that would be so weird, when you look at those engines you expect them to be as load as they are powerful, I don't know if I could get used to this new economy-friendly, silent way of flying. I don't know about others but the louder the engine the better. It's all part of the experience for me.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:11 PM

QUOTE (SmC12 @ Saturday, Jun 2 2012, 23:50)
I don't know about others but the louder the engine the better. It's all part of the experience for me.

As a frequent flyer I'd hate for the engines to get louder. Especially since a lot of the routes I fly are 10+ hours. I do like it when they spool the engines for take-off though so I don't mind the loudness, I just don't want the engines to be that loud at cruising speed.

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:34 AM Edited by Pico, 05 June 2012 - 12:37 AM.

QUOTE (Outcast)
As a frequent flyer I'd hate for the engines to get louder. Especially since a lot of the routes I fly are 10+ hours. I do like it when they spool the engines for take-off though so I don't mind the loudness, I just don't want the engines to be that loud at cruising speed.

Only have been on a few flights and take off is definitely the best. The roar of the engines and surge from their thrust is amazing! However, I recall on my first flight that once we got in the air the engines made a constant roar. Movies tricked the sh*t out of me... somehow I expected it to be as quiet as a library. I haven't flown for more than 4 hours, not sure if I can handle any longer.

QUOTE (Outcast @ Sunday, Apr 29 2012, 04:42)
have you decided what sort of aircraft you're building?

I'm going with a P-51/P-40/Mitsu Zero/etc style WWII fighter type plane. Since it's my first time doing such a thing and working with primarily foam I am not going to do it exactly to scale or to any specific design specifications. Just base it off the planes of that era.

The below is more of a "where I'm at" with this, so unless you care about what's involved with this you can pass it up.

I've got the main fuselage pretty much shaped up. It's still a bit rough because I need to determine how I'm going to put the rest together. I think I'll create the wings, rudder, and elevators first and worry about attaching later on. Keep everything rough then work on cutting into the fuselage. I ended up scrapping my first fuselage as the shape was junk and would have been too much work to fix.

To help cut through the foam I made a hot wire cutter. Consists of a dimmer switch, transformer, and a bare wire (using guitar string) that heats up and cuts through foam like butter. It's helped a bit, but my wire keeps flexing and ruining cuts. Need to figure that out.
I started working on the canopy and decided I'd rather have that look nice and clean... so I create a plastic vacuum former tounge.gif Cost me a total of $10 in parts, works wonderfully for my purposes. Working on the mold for the canopy now. As I type this I've got base of primer drying to be sanded for a smooth surface so the plastic doesn't pick up a bunch of bumps when molding.

It's amazing how much work is involved in just the basics of making your own plane. Sure, I could have been finished in a week, but I'm looking to have this one last and look decent so I am spending my time to ensure it's going to function properly and have a nice appearance. Definitely a fun way to spend my down time when I actually have it!

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:37 AM

that sounds absolutely awesome dude! might wanna document that process and upload the pics. i'd be interested in seeing how it turns out.

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Catch a ride!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:08 PM Edited by illegal_luggage, 12 October 2012 - 04:34 PM.

Last night I watched a program on Channel 4 called "The plane crash" where they crash a Boeing 727 to better understand what goes on during a crash. I would greatly recommend watching it as it's very interesting and some of the images of the airliner crusing above the desert with a clear blue sky just looks amazing.

user posted image
The engines were still running after the crash!

If you just want to see the impact then check it out here:
http://www.channel4....1/s1-ep1-impact
or here as I'm not sure 4OD works outside the UK. Could try a VPN.

Full hour long episode here:
http://www.channel4....the-plane-crash

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

There was something similar done back in the 80s by the FAA as part of the Controlled Impact Demonstration test series- ostensibly to test anti-misting additives for kerosene designed to prevent an explosive flash-over of evaporating JP1 in the event of a crash, but also to do things like monitor impact forces. It failed in its original aim but was extremely successful in establishing crash-worthiness comparisons for other commercial airliners.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:22 PM

I haven't seen the whole thing yet but from what I saw, I was very surprised to see how non-violent it looked inside the cabin on impact. Would've been a lot more chaotic with bottles of duty-free liquor flying around.

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Catch a ride!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:27 AM

After the crash, the jet engine was still running at full speed!

I don't think I've ever sat at the front in an airliner or had the privilige to go in the cockpit like my brother did. In October I went on a holiday to New York and flew in a AA 777. Was maybe the best flight I've ever been on. I was offered free drinks and had a decent amount of space being sat in economy. The worst place to sit on a plane though is near the toilets as you will not be able to get any sleep.

My interest in planes is probably because my dad works at an engineering firm who make landing gear for Airbus and Boeing. They have landing gear setup to lower and retract 24/7 until something breaks. I've heard that a rig will run for years until something gives.

Helicopters I don't know a lot but I like the giant cargo ones and the sky cranes are impressive.

Taste Of Chaos
  • Taste Of Chaos

Bill doesn't know.

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

I love flying. Besides the fact I used to be a massive Wendy about it all. I flew home from the Isle of Man in late August in a Piper PA28 four seater and kind of fell in love with it.

Lucky for me we have a small airport in my town, so I've been doing a couple of lessons recently when I have the money. Been twice in the Piper now and I want to try the Cessna 152, have any of you guys been in one? My boss describes the 152 as you "strap the plane to your body" as supposed to strapping your self in. Cannae wait tounge.gif

Anyone else had any lessons?

Got a couple of photo's from the last Flight.

Hometown from the Air smile.gif

user posted image

user posted image

Crap one

user posted image

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:28 AM

That's pretty awesome man! I've wanted to take flying lessons for ages now but haven't had the time. I've taken some lessons in a simulator though so theoretically I could fly. It's not the same as actually going up in the air though but once I have free time I'll be looking into taking actual lessons.

Ex Hellraiser
  • Ex Hellraiser

Legendary

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:38 AM

I've flown a Cessna 182, but that is a bit bigger than a 152. Yeah, the cabin in those Cessnas is smaller than the Piper, but that is just the general shape of the plane. Obviously, it must be a pretty good plane if they are still in prodution, though. I would like to try a low-wing plane like a Vans RV, because of the amazing view through the glass. In a Cessna, you got the high wing blocking a good portion of the view above and to the sides. It's been a few years since I was last in one, and I really want to fly again. panic.gif

Lexty.
  • Lexty.

acclimate

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:18 AM

I skydived from a Cessna Caravan and a PAC P-750 XSTOL.

user posted image

user posted image

Chris CJ Jakobsson
  • Chris CJ Jakobsson

Homie

• Members

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:44 AM Edited by Chris CJ Jakobsson, 06 March 2013 - 11:50 AM.

Ok let me join this

user posted image
P-51D Mustang, just amazing looking Aircraft

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

Yeah the P51 was a great looking plane. Actually planes from that era like ME-109s, Hurricanes, Spitfires, and Zeros all look pretty damn good to me.

Trund
  • Trund

I'm all of ach fo her

• Members

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:46 AM

QUOTE (Taste Of Chaos @ Monday, Mar 4 2013, 20:12)
I love flying. Besides the fact I used to be a massive Wendy about it all. I flew home from the Isle of Man in late August in a Piper PA28 four seater and kind of fell in love with it.

I flew the PA28 for my VFR training in Florida. Pretty cool plane really, I loved flying it, but the planes were quite old and had quite some odd faults now and then. tounge.gif Still better than the DA40 I flew during the single engine IFR training, but I must say the PA44, especially with a glass cockpit, beats the PA28 by far! Pretty darn stable plane, you can literally do anything with it, it's so forgiving!

Chris CJ Jakobsson
  • Chris CJ Jakobsson

Homie

• Members

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:13 AM

A plane to die for... inlove.gif
user posted image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users