Photo

Aircraft Discussion

365 replies to this topic
Wolf of Badenoch
  • Wolf of Badenoch

Labore et Scientia

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:14 PM Edited by Wolf of Badenoch, 26 July 2015 - 04:55 PM.

I've been fascinated with the Concorde since I was a child. The husband of my personal tutor, when I was young, was one of the engineers responsible for designing the droop nose of the Concorde. I would remember after my tutoring sessions, while waiting for my mum to come pick me up, he would show me all his Concorde stuff and tell me stories about it. The Concorde was so much more than just a plane, it was a point of national pride.

Watching tributes to the Concorde always brings me close to tears.

Was actually watching that a few days ago. Felt tears brimming in my eyes by the end of it. As you say, she truly was/is a point of national pride, in the same vein as the Spitfire, Hurricane, Lancaster and the Vulcan...

Really need to go see G-BOAA at East Fortune (near Edinburgh) at some point. This particular Concorde never flew again after the AF Flight 4590 tragedy, having never been fitted with the 'Return to Flight' modifications that were required after the accident.

This is her landing at Heathrow on 12th August 2000 as BA002 from JFK, her last ever flight:gboaa8.jpg
  • pcguytech likes this

FireX52
  • FireX52

Automobile Club 52

• Members
  • Cuba

Posted 3 weeks ago

Magnificient plane - Hughes H-4 Hercules...h4s5MIJ.jpg

Staypuft
  • Staypuft

Pilot For Hire

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 3 weeks ago

new shot of mine from this past weekend:

20515264902_31ef0d022a_z.jpgSTAT MedEvac EC-135 by R Seluryar, on Flickr

• Aqua97 likes this

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

• V Staff
  • None
  • Best Ledby 2014
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by ~Tiger~, 3 weeks ago.

I've been fascinated with the Concorde since I was a child.

I used to live and work near Heathrow Airport (Staines) and every fine morning I'd pop outside to watch Speedbird fly overhead. The roar of the engines was incredible.

Even more so as she passed over Reading. On a clear day, all you could see was a tiny triangle in the sky but the rumble of the massive sonic boom was intense.

I still live under a flight path but I now live in Yorkshire and most of the aircraft are boring A320s or Ryanair B737s.

Occasionally I take a trip to Cheshire and get treated to a glimpse of the mighty Emirates A380 leaving Manchester Airport....

emirates_a380_manchester_a6ede.jpg

• pcguytech likes this

Ryan
  • Ryan

• Canada

Posted 3 weeks ago

On occasion, I get the chance to work with the CH-149 Cormorant (Canadian designation of the EH-101) which is the primary search and rescue helicopter here in Canada. When you have one of these giants hovering 50 feet over your vessel, you feel it for sure. 

LFfTwPm.jpg

• Fallcreek likes this

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

• V Staff
  • None
  • Best Ledby 2014
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 2 weeks ago

One of the most popular holiday destinations for commercial airliner thrill seekers is the Dutch half of the carabbean island of Sint Maarten.

One of the beaches is at the end of the airport runway and since the aircraft approach over the sea and therefore do not require a stepped series of flight levels, the craft pass exceedingly low over the spotters below. Plus, the runway is very short and so the aircraft touch down as close as possible to the perimeter.

427757-bigthumbnail.jpg

Here is a (badly titled) video of KLM B747 approach 

and here is a video showing the approach from the pilots POV, starting with Push Back at Amsterdam Airport to waypoint approach and landing at St Maarten:

• FunkyRJ and Aqua97 like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users