Quantcast

» «
Photo

How many times will they redesign GTA cities?

69 replies to this topic
LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:36 AM Edited by LotusRIP, 16 January 2012 - 07:38 AM.

So in the old school GTA classic days, we had birds-eye views of Liberty City, Vice City and San Andreas. GTA3 era we had 3 fantastic redesigns of the same three cities, GTA3 (Liberty City), Vice City, and San Andreas (now an entire state divided into 3 cities).

Now in GTAIV, Rockstar said they felt they didn't do Liberty City justice in GTA3 so returned to recreate it exactly how they imagined it to be the first time around with every detail. It's quite an impressive overhaul, and the map is basically an absolutely different city altogether. GTAV looks as though it will be a similar story, although the city does pretty closely resemble the Los Santos we all know with some small additions here and there. The countryside and terrain of San Andreas is obviously going to be hugely different - or is it?

My question is - how many times do you think they will keep recreating the same 3 locations? We've already had at least 2 versions of each, and it's all fine and dandy to say they've done it complete justice now. But what happens when the PS4 and PS5 comes out... do you expect they'll be using the EXACT same maps, with expanded surrounding areas? It's something I've been thinking about, as just as we get used to seeing Liberty City the way we think it should be, they go and redesign it with current updated technology and say "oh wait, this is how we originally imagined it but we didn't have the technology to do it, so here's our new spin on Liberty City!", but the question is what they'll do when technology once again advances and they're trapped into using the same sized maps.

Just a thought...

Duxfever
  • Duxfever

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:39 AM Edited by Duxfever, 16 January 2012 - 07:42 AM.

GTA V will probably their last time with re-iterating the same locations.
We've most likely seen the last of Liberty City, and soon come Los Santos, as a whole setting for a major installment.

They've definitely have done them justice like they've been wanting to.

Depending on the future of GTA, I'm thinking we'll be seeing new cities in and around the U.S.
And maybe even move on out of U.S. culture.

bobgtafan
  • bobgtafan

The last thing you never see

• Members

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:42 AM

Until the marketplace slaps them in the face with a missile cock, meaning never.

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:42 AM

QUOTE (Duxfever @ Monday, Jan 16 2012, 07:39)
We've most likely seen the last of Liberty City, and soon come Los Santos, as a whole setting for a major installment.

Yeah, I can't imagine the cities being any more accurate really, not too big and not too small with enough of a playground in it to have fun with... but depending on what the new San Andreas contains, it possibly could leave Vice City as the only city left to recreate... where to from there? Redesign London (or an entire fictional UK)? The end of GTA (and their imagination lol)?

Duxfever
  • Duxfever

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:44 AM

QUOTE (LotusRIP @ Monday, Jan 16 2012, 00:42)

Yeah, I can't imagine the cities being any more accurate really, not too big and not too small with enough of a playground in it to have fun with... but depending on what the new San Andreas contains, it possibly could leave Vice City as the only city left to recreate... where to from there? Redesign London (or an entire fictional UK)?

I could definitely see them at least moving out of U.S. territory.

There's just so much they could say, and that they have already covered, on U.S. parodies.
It'd be interesting to see how or if they interpret other nations' problems if they choose to do so.

I don't see how else to keep the franchise up and running.

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:48 AM

I can understand their choices to parody US cities and society, that they've clearly made in the past too... but I would rather see them move elsewhere or overseas, than to just redesign the maps over and over - would seem like such a pathway to selling out. Unless like I said, they go back to Liberty City and it's exactly how it looks in GTAIV (in terms of design and map), but with an expanded surrounding area of New York State or something... but I think once they've done their HD versions of the cities they should leave them be. That's just how they are, no matter what the technology can deliver.

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:01 AM

VC needs an overhaul or I'll start a riot. I suppose they're saving the best until last. cool.gif

Dademo
  • Dademo

Liberty City

• Members

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:02 AM

I think it's a lock imo to send GTA VI to Vice City. Having that game centered around Global Warming and Florida sinking and all that good stuff would be perfect.

sqre
  • sqre

Vice City Fan

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:06 AM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Monday, Jan 16 2012, 03:01)
VC needs an overhaul or I'll start a riot. I suppose they're saving the best until last. cool.gif

same here my friend.

JoshGTAfreak
  • JoshGTAfreak

Homie

• Members

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:15 AM

I hope not. Next Gen I want a midwest city, with bits based on Detroit, Chicago and other cities like that. It might be a bit similar to Liberty in terms of architecture though.

I would like to see how they could tackle an asian city. Them doing Tokyo would be cool if they could somehow capture that crazy, other worldly feel everyone talks about it having.

Static94
  • Static94

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:23 AM

QUOTE (JoshGTAfreak @ Monday, Jan 16 2012, 08:15)
I hope not. Next Gen I want a midwest city, with bits based on Detroit, Chicago and other cities like that. It might be a bit similar to Liberty in terms of architecture though.

I would like to see how they could tackle an asian city. Them doing Tokyo would be cool if they could somehow capture that crazy, other worldly feel everyone talks about it having.

If your into asian then look up new latest game yet to be coming
True Crime Streets of Hong Kong

looks really great imo icon14.gif

Zip87
  • Zip87

Hustler

• Members

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Monday, Jan 16 2012, 08:01)

That's right.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they've considered a future setting.

Not laserpistols and hovercars future, but something like 40 years from now, foreshadowing all the things that are happening. Sorta realistic future scene with reasonable features.

quechus13
  • quechus13

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:01 AM

Depending on the future of GTA, I'm thinking we'll be seeing new cities in and around the U.S.

that ain't happening my brotha.

GTA is staying in U.S but only in the most best cities U.S Has.

San Francisco
Los Angeles
Las Vegas
New York

Yeah.

Len Lfc
  • Len Lfc

N7

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:02 AM

GTA will NEVER move outside the USA (with the exception of the UK, but even that's highly unlikely). Rockstar have said themselves that it just won't happen, the whole GTA series is based on the American lifestyle & culture, & they could never do any other setting like they do America.

Nova69_7
  • Nova69_7

WEDNESDAY TIL I DIE!!!

• Members

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:06 AM

Of course we have the 3 staple GTA cities: Liberty City, Vice City and San Andreas and people are questioning when we're gonna move away from these places. However RockStar already did a pretty good job of expanding their Universe right under our noses when they introduced the 3 cities in San Andreas...one of which we're soon gonna tear up in it's own exclusive game. I'm not saying we're gonna have to revisit all 5 current cities before we get somewhere new, I'm just saying that IMO they have already introduced new places and I'm sure they will do again soon.

Perhaps we'll see somewhere brand new with the big title after GTA V, but I'm pretty sure that most people on here - and I count myself among these - would be very VERY happy with a Vice City re-design first hehe!

JoshGTAfreak
  • JoshGTAfreak

Homie

• Members

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:52 AM

What are the chances of making a city from scratch?

UncleVlad
  • UncleVlad

Vice City Stories!

• Members

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:57 AM

I bet Vice City is the last city they're gonna re-use.

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:05 AM

QUOTE (Nova69_7 @ Monday, Jan 16 2012, 09:06)
Of course we have the 3 staple GTA cities: Liberty City, Vice City and San Andreas and people are questioning when we're gonna move away from these places. However RockStar already did a pretty good job of expanding their Universe right under our noses when they introduced the 3 cities in San Andreas...one of which we're soon gonna tear up in it's own exclusive game. I'm not saying we're gonna have to revisit all 5 current cities before we get somewhere new, I'm just saying that IMO they have already introduced new places and I'm sure they will do again soon.

Perhaps we'll see somewhere brand new with the big title after GTA V, but I'm pretty sure that most people on here - and I count myself among these - would be very VERY happy with a Vice City re-design first hehe!

I'm not sure if you're getting my point... apart from making new cities they've never done before, I'm assuming one day for example, if GTAVII is Liberty City in the near future - will it be the exact same map as GTAIV? or will they redesign it completely like they did with the difference between Liberty City III - IV.

I'm hoping in future titles, they return to the same cities, but keep everything in tact and just expand in outer suburbs. ie. next time we go to Liberty City, include New Jersey and other areas of New York State. But the city is exactly the same in size and street map as IV era.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:30 AM

I think they are going to do Vice City, San Fierro and Las Venturas all separately, then once they are all completed, well i really don't know, i guess they will try new locations, will gta be around in 10 years when those cities have been done?

tommzy2
  • tommzy2

Prankster

• Members

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:53 AM

hopefully the next gta after V isnt set in the modern era. i would rather it be set in the 80's again, as it had the best vibe.

C2H5OH
  • C2H5OH

Mark Chump

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE (quechus13 @ Monday, Jan 16 2012, 09:01)

that ain't happening my brotha.

GTA is staying in U.S but only in the most best cities U.S Has.

San Francisco
Los Angeles
Las Vegas
New York

Yeah.

No miami ?! Shame on you! mad.gif

Remember if they're going to re-make Vice City in VI you won't recognize it back!
Rockstar would make it look a lot more like modern day miami/ miami beach. biggrin.gif

OzzySM12
  • OzzySM12

Hmm...

• Members

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:37 PM

With each new generation of console giving developers more (power, storage, etc...) to play with and new tools being developed to help in the creation of game components (models, animations, etc...), I don't see why they would use any other cities for GTA.

LC in III is completely different from LC in IV. And if with each new generation we got a city bigger with more features and stuff to do, then why not keep reusing them?

Really is is not the place that makes a GTA game good, its what you can do in that place. SA is the best GTA for a lot players, not because of where it is (other than for the kids who like to pretend to be gang bangers), but because of all the features.
Look at VC. If that was the size of SA and had 3 cities (Miami and say Fort Launderdale and Tampa) as well as having all the features of SA, I think it would have been just as good as people think SA is.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that LC, VC and SA are GTA's world. In future games if we see them develop and grow (who knows, future GTA's may cover states and not just cities) then I see no reason why they cant continue to use the same basic locations.
I don't think it will ever get old, as the possibility for expansion is endless. And with the added bonus of GTA not following a time line then the different times will make a big difference as well.

Fraizer
  • Fraizer

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA Online]

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:17 PM

I am with you, I would Love to see an HD remake of Vice City! And on Next Gen would be perfection!

JasonBrody
  • JasonBrody

Thug

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:21 PM

I hope they don't forget to redesign Vice City because that's my favorite city.

Vormek
  • Vormek

I am not in danger. I AM the danger!

• Members

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:28 PM

I was actually hoping for Vice City in GTA5 but I don't care anymore. Los Santos is just as good and by judging from the trailer it will be an awesome city! What I wanted to say is this. Why do people care so much about R* remaking previous games? I mean, it's a totally different city! The only thing they kept is the name. I can understand if they took Los Santos from San Andreas and made it exactly the same or very alike but that's not the case. Los Santos in V looks completely different with a few skyscrapers they kept. It's a BRAND new city, they made it from scratch. I don't care if they use the same name. Look at Liberty City from IV. It's completely different from III. So who cares if they keep the name? The city will be 100% different.

I'm not sure if they will remake Vice City in the next game but heck, bring it on Rockstar! Whatever city you choose it will be an awesome game. Frankly, I want Rio De Janeiro to be the next city in GTA(6). If you've seen Fast Five (The only good movie in the series along with the first movie) you know what I'm talking about. Small houses up in the mountains, beautiful beaches, modern downtown area. It would be great! And Rio is the most dangerous city in the world with lots of gang activity. Could be the PERFECT city for the next GTA game after V.

Kill Frenzy!
  • Kill Frenzy!

Skilled Driver

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:39 PM

I´m with MiamiViceCity.
I think next to GTAV, Rockstar North should be thinking about a Vice City "GTAVI maybe"
I mean, i´ve seen nothing about Vice City, then only Tommy Vercetti and Vic Vance, and those were in the old graphics. icon13.gif

I think... when we have finished GTAV.. a new Vice City most come! icon14.gif

cherrycola
  • cherrycola

Thug

• Members

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:51 PM

Next gen they'll take parts from both Liberty City and Los Santos from this gen, and make Vice City HD, and place all three cities on a huge U.S.A. map with lots of countryside in between them. LC on the east coast, LS on the west, and VC in the south.

And then to follow it up they'll make Grand Theft Auto: Europe, and the gen after that, Grand Theft Auto: World.

Gtaghost22
  • Gtaghost22

• Members

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:24 PM

Dont worry man, i'm pretty sure R* will make another Vice City game before moving into new cities (or out of the USA)...

On Topic: like i said i have feeling the Next 2 GTA's (after GTA V) will be in Vice City.. (Vice City 2) , And a NEW CITY ( GTA VI).

GTA_Blitz
  • GTA_Blitz

Go Chucks Go!

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE (Smaaske @ Monday, Jan 16 2012, 15:39)
I´m with MiamiViceCity.
I think next to GTAV, Rockstar North should be thinking about a Vice City "GTAVI maybe"
I mean, i´ve seen nothing about Vice City, then only Tommy Vercetti and Vic Vance, and those were in the old graphics. icon13.gif

I think... when we have finished GTAV.. a new Vice City most come! icon14.gif

Same here. I want Vice city in GTA VI. But I think we should take an example of identification redesign from Liberty city in GTA III AND IV. See the changes.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

They're not cheating that much, since you can expect an unfamiliar LS in GTA V!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users