Photo

Americans and manual gearbox.

178 replies to this topic
Michaś
  • Michaś

No US for me in 2014... BLNT

• Members

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:47 AM

Ok, I was just wondering, why don't Americans learn to drive in MANUAL cars?
I had a friend come over from the States and... he didn't know how to use the manual tranny.
It's weird, are you not allowed to use manual or something lol.gif

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

The boatman stays with the boat.

• Members

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:54 AM

Because most people drive cars with automatics, you are not required to learn how to drive a car with a manual transmission. If you go to take your test in an automatic car, how exactly would the DMV employee be able to properly teach you to drive a stick? The basics are gone over in Driver's Ed, but that's about it.

Piperka
  • Piperka

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:24 AM Edited by Piperka, 13 January 2012 - 08:26 AM.

What if you need to drive manual in an emergency? You'd be screwed.

And why do you's call it Stick shift, when technically an automatic is a stick shift too because that's how you shift between P R N and D.

Michaś
  • Michaś

• Members

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:30 AM

QUOTE (Piperka @ Friday, Jan 13 2012, 08:24)

And why do you's call it Stick shift, when technically an automatic is a stick shift too because that's how you shift between P R N and D.

That's what they call manual - stick shift.

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

• Members

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:32 AM

Like I said it is gone over in Driver's Ed, but they can't legally REQUIRE everyone to take the test in cars with manual transmissions as most people don't have them. And if the state bought manual cars to take road tests in that would probably double our already ridiculous state taxes.

Oh and Using a stick to shift vs shifting automatically between standard drive gears.

Piperka
  • Piperka

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:43 AM

That's pretty much the same in Australia. Like 85% of people here drive Automatic cars, but then most of those people have a manual license, so they can drive a manual. I have a manual license but my car is automatic lol

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:53 AM

Lazy Americans, it's not that hard to drive Manual. tounge.gif

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

• Members

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:55 AM

@Piperka: Well then I could ask the same question of you. What if someone without a manual license needs to drive a manual in an emergency?

It's basically the same here except we don't have a separate license for manuals. You just just get in and practice for a little bit until you've got the hang of it. My only time driving a stick shift was in my Dad's 01 4x4 2500HD with a 6-speed and a 496 Big Block. Was quite easy after a couple minutes. I certainly wouldn't mind having a Diesel truck with a 5-speed.

Piperka
  • Piperka

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE (leik oh em jeez! @ Friday, Jan 13 2012, 16:55)
@Piperka: Well then I could ask the same question of you. What if someone without a manual license needs to drive a manual in an emergency?

Exactly why people get a manual licence here, for emergencies lol

It's basically the same here except we don't have a separate license for manuals. You just just get in and practice for a little bit until you've got the hang of it. My only time driving a stick shift was in my Dad's 01 4x4 2500HD with a 6-speed and a 496 Big Block. Was quite easy after a couple minutes. I certainly wouldn't mind having a Diesel truck with a 5-speed.

That's ok I guess. Here your license will show your class. Class C = Manual / Auto < 4.5T up to 12 people. Class C-A = Same but only Auto. If you only get an Auto license here, it's a hassle to get a manual one later on as you would have to do driving lessons/tests again which is why most people just get it over with in the beginning.

Thunderfuckrapist
  • Thunderfuckrapist

Turdler Durpden

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:30 AM

QUOTE (Piperka @ Friday, Jan 13 2012, 18:43)
That's pretty much the same in Australia. Like 85% of people here drive Automatic cars, but then most of those people have a manual license, so they can drive a manual. I have a manual license but my car is automatic lol

If you do your P's in a manual its fine for you to drive both but if you do your test in an an auto you can't drive a manual. I think after a year or something with an auto licence its fine to drive both.

Moth
  • Moth

Sweet Roll Thief

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:10 PM

You want to know why American's don't drive Stick Shift?

Is bumper to bumper traffic, and going to work fairly long distances from where they live. Having to keep switching gears every few seconds because of the the traffic picks up or slows down.

But that isn't to say that I don't believe that North Americans shouldn't learn to drive manual, they should. Driving test here in Ontario are a joke.

Piperka
  • Piperka

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:14 PM

That is why me and my sister have auto cars (but still manual licenses), because we have to drive over an hour every day in peak hour traffic on busy roads, on the freeway, past the city to the south side of my city for University.

silvermanblue
  • silvermanblue

Magnets=Miracles

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:49 PM

Not all of us are ignorant. I taught myself a couple of years back to drive manual. I am training as a truck driver and driving a manual is almost required. (Though more and more companies are offering automatic semis suicidal.gif )

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:35 PM Edited by Lurch, 13 January 2012 - 07:16 PM.

QUOTE (The General @ Friday, Jan 13 2012, 10:10)
You want to know why American's don't drive Stick Shift?

Is bumper to bumper traffic, and going to work fairly long distances from where they live. Having to keep switching gears every few seconds because of the the traffic picks up or slows down.

But that isn't to say that I don't believe that North Americans shouldn't learn to drive manual, they should. Driving test here in Ontario are a joke.

Most of america doesn't even see bumper to bumper traffic like that. Unless you're in a city (which most of this country and continent are not. The majority is rurual countryside), you won't see ever see serious traffic. I mean, the main time I've been in super heavy traffic, was when I was delivering to big cities in the Kenworth. It was a 13 speed and still wasn't that bad. You're not really switching between gears in bumper to bumper stuff. You keep it in low or first and just creep along.

In the end, it's just lazy, stupid people.
  • M210F likes this

Pagelzilla
  • Pagelzilla

Blowjob Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE (goin-god @ Friday, Jan 13 2012, 02:53)
Lazy Americans, it's not that hard to drive Manual. tounge.gif

I think it's also how a lot of us are raised. I was lucky enough to have parents who love german cars and therefore was always exposed to manual vehicles. My parents made me learn stick before I took my drivers test so I could pick them up if there was ever an emergency.

Now I would never buy an automatic car. Manual transmissions are so much more fun to drive.
  • beanzinapot likes this

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:50 PM

The only times I've ever driven an automatic in the past 2 years is when I've driven drunk friends vehicles home from the bar or taco bell. In the past 2 years I've driven plenty 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 13 speed manuals and surprisingly few autos. Absolutely despise automatics.

Illousion
  • Illousion

Over the hills and far away

• The Connection

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:34 PM

If I could choose I'd totally drive an automatic. Lot more convinient for commuting and I feel it creates a more relaxed style of driving. But then again I'm not a huge fan of "actual driving". lol.gif

κενιη
  • κενιη

Bringer of Dramageddon

• The Connection

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:51 PM

QUOTE (Garfield 2 @ Friday, Jan 13 2012, 02:47)
It's weird, are you not allowed to use manual or something  lol.gif

I drive a somewhat worn but well running 1996 Legacy Wagon with a 5 speed. Most everyone I know does know how to drive manual but they drive autos out of convenience. Either driving with children or just wanting to not worry about changing gears or for some other reason, they just choose to do so. My wife didn't know how to drive manual but took to it rather easily after a few days of practice (and me saying "Quit the bitching and just drive. The more you do it, the easier it is.).

Quick shot from my computer desk out the window.
user posted image

Starion
  • Starion

hmm..

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE (Piperka @ Friday, Jan 13 2012, 09:24)

..Why so?

Most people in the UK drive manuals.. Different style of driving + different style of roads is the cause I guess.

Piperka
  • Piperka

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE (Starion @ Saturday, Jan 14 2012, 03:12)

..Why so?

For a start you won't know how to take off.

ikt
  • ikt

• Members

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE (Piperka @ Friday, Jan 13 2012, 21:18)
QUOTE (Starion @ Saturday, Jan 14 2012, 03:12)

..Why so?

For a start you won't know how to take off.

How is that? I'm learning for a drivers permit and I have no trouble at all starting the car and keeping it going. Unless you are either disabled, very easily distracted or just plain stupid, there isn't any reason why you should not be able to drive a manual.

stephano1990
  • stephano1990

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:58 PM

In america, most cars don't have a manual gearbox, only sport cars and perhaps some import cars.
There's no need to be able to drive a manual gearbox in the united states, manual gearboxes are use full in small city's with narrow roads because you can't drive to fast there anyway (Like old city center's in Europe). under these conditions you will need to change gear more often, and it can be annoying if you can't control this yourself.

In the US, people usually travel over more distance, its not uncommon that its 4 hours by car to the most nearby city. And the city's themselves are also massive in size (city's like Los Angeles, New York and San Francisco are almost the same size as small European countries like Belgium). Under these conditions its more practical to have an automatic gearbox.

But I'm shure that it won't take long before manual cars will also be rare in Europe smile.gif

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

They said I could be anything, so I became a custom member title

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:59 PM

If you can't at least get it in first and start rolling, the problem isn't that you can't drive a manual transmission...

...the problem is that you're a f*cking moron.

In america, most cars don't have a manual gearbox, only sport cars and perhaps some import cars.

*LOUD BUZZER*

I'm sorry, that's incorrect, would you like to try again?

Piperka
  • Piperka

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:09 PM Edited by Piperka, 13 January 2012 - 09:12 PM.

Everyday house moms won't know the basics of manual. There are in fact people in the world who don't know anything about cars that just easily drive automatic. The first time I drove manual I did it with a friend (which sucked at teaching) and could not take off at all. It wasn't until I got an instructor that explained everything that I was able to take off, and I did it first go no problem once he explained it thoroughly.

ikt
  • ikt

• Members

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:39 PM

QUOTE (Piperka @ Friday, Jan 13 2012, 23:09)
Everyday house moms won't know the basics of manual. There are in fact people in the world who don't know anything about cars that just easily drive automatic. The first time I drove manual I did it with a friend (which sucked at teaching) and could not take off at all. It wasn't until I got an instructor that explained everything that I was able to take off, and I did it first go no problem once he explained it thoroughly.

What's so hard about using the brake and using the clutch, turn the key, get into gear (1/R), get off the handbrake and the brake and then GENTLY lift your foot from the clutch pedal and moving your foot to the gas pedal gently after letting go of the clutch?

You don't have any excuses. You can use a keyboard, you can use your mouse. Your motoric skills are good enough and I assume since you can write messages on imageboards, your brain is functional too.

It's not hard at all, even if you really really suck at driving, practice helps.

Piperka
  • Piperka

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:48 PM

I know it's not hard for us that know how to do it, but some people don't even know that you have to let go slowly, and it'll be hard for them to let go smoothly while giving gas and they won't be able to do it the first time! If you don't understand what I'm trying to say then I give up.

Tuff Luv Capo
  • Tuff Luv Capo

We must find Ansama Benlanden

• Members

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:51 PM

I've only ever driven a manual, beginning from age 13. My uncle from England drives an automatic Taurus, and his kids drive automatics as well. Why don't English people learn to drive manuals?

Michaś
  • Michaś

• Members

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE (Tuff Luv Capo @ Friday, Jan 13 2012, 21:51)
I've only ever driven a manual, beginning from age 13. My uncle from England drives an automatic Taurus, and his kids drive automatics as well. Why don't English people learn to drive manuals?

Cars for sale
According to AutoTrader.co.uk

Manual - 275169
Automatic - 91150

Your argument is invalid.

Fozzy Fozborne
  • Fozzy Fozborne

Soldier

• Members

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:08 AM

This topic is hilarious. Let's start with this sentence: "I had a friend come over from the States and... he didn't know how to use the manual tranny."

Wow... one person definitely represents 307 + million.

In the end, it's just lazy, stupid people.

Yeah, that's how Apple sells 30 million iPhones in a holiday quarter. Or is it because people want something simple?

Wrong. I looked a nearly every small and midsize car and SUV and every single one of them was offered with a manual.

The car manufacturers realize that, in general, Americans don't like manuals so many produce only bottom-of-the-barrel manual cars. I mean, look at Nissan. Look at most SUVs, they are all auto in America.

Why do British cars use such tiny engines? Because manufacturers realize it's ridiculous to sell the average person a big engine in a country where petrol/gas costs $7/gallon (Right? someone can correct me if I'm wrong. The last I heard was 1GBP/liter and 1 Imperial gallon = 4.54 liters so when 1GBP is 1.53USD it works out to $6.93). As soon as petrol/gas hits $1 a gallon, I'm sure people will want the V8s again.

κενιη
  • κενιη

Bringer of Dramageddon

• The Connection

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:13 AM

QUOTE (Piperka @ Friday, Jan 13 2012, 16:09)
Everyday house moms won't know the basics of manual. There are in fact people in the world who don't know anything about cars that just easily drive automatic.  The first time I drove manual I did it with a friend (which sucked at teaching) and could not take off at all. It wasn't until I got an instructor that explained everything that I was able to take off, and I did it first go no problem once he explained it thoroughly.

Are you sh*tting me? My mother, both of my grandmothers, my mother-in-law, and my wife (a mother of two) can drive manual equipped cars. Hell, one of my grandmothers is so fat and arthritic that it shouldn't be possible for her to drive a manual car but she still drove around in a manual VW Bug and Renault Alliance for years before and after two knee and a hip replacement.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users