Act of Valor

22 replies to this topic
Mr.Funny12
  • Mr.Funny12

Just keep swimming...

• Members

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:04 PM

Just caught this trailer not to long ago. Here is an extended trailer I found:

An unprecedented blend of real-life heroism and original filmmaking, Act of Valor stars a group of active-duty Navy SEALs in a powerful story of contemporary global anti-terrorism. Inspired by true events, the film combines stunning combat sequences, up-to-the minute battlefield technology and heart-pumping emotion for the ultimate action adventure. Act of Valor takes audiences deep into the secretive world of the most elite, highly trained group of warriors in the modern world. When the rescue of a kidnapped CIA operative leads to the discovery of a deadly terrorist plot against the U.S., a team of SEALs is dispatched on a worldwide manhunt. As the valiant men of Bandito Platoon race to stop a coordinated attack that could kill and wound thousands of American civilians, they must balance their commitment to country, team and their families back home. Each time they accomplish their mission

Looks pretty good to me. Said to be released February 24th in the US.

DeeperRed
  • DeeperRed

Damn it feels good to be gangsta

• Zaibatsu

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:29 PM

Hmm looks a bit standard but then again I f*cking hate army films (bar a few exceptions like Saving Private Ryan and Full metal jacket).

It just too many try to focus on a big squad of characters (Like this one) and the problem with that is you don't really build any connection to the characters because theres not enough time to get indepth with them. Its better to have one focus character, and then you connect with him the most from that you connect with the others via his friendship. Also they just usually paint the enemys with one big brush, there all bad guys and were the good guys.
Then theres the final culprit of the "gyal back home story" which is just so f*cking over used (Not saying this film contains that)

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:15 PM

Just saw the trailer, in HD, looks impressive, like the latest NEXT GEN console war game! haha

Mr.Funny12
  • Mr.Funny12

Just keep swimming...

• Members

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:03 AM

From what I hear they are suppose to be real Navy Seals as actors. Also my moms boyfriend is a cameraman and he said the equipment they used to make the movie is incredibly cheap. He is shocked that they made such a good looking movie with in his opinion "sh*tty uipment."

I'm still pumped for it. War movies are a must see for me I guess.

Tuff Luv Capo
  • Tuff Luv Capo

We must find Ansama Benlanden

• Members

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:48 AM

I saw the ad for this at "Chronicle". I didn't know what to think because it was littered with Muricka this and flag that and honor, duty, 9/11 bring our troops home bullsh*t. I'd still see it though.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:34 PM

QUOTE (Tuff Luv Capo @ Tuesday, Feb 7 2012, 08:48)
I saw the ad for this at "Chronicle". I didn't know what to think because it was littered with Muricka this and flag that and honor, duty, 9/11 bring our troops home bullsh*t. I'd still see it though.

That's what I'm worried about when I see films like this. 14yo kids getting national pride and hardons for soldiers thinking they're cool. American pride, honour and all that cheesy brainwash bullsh*t.

This looks a little different but its hard to tell. Aesthetically it looks good but I'm afraid I wont feel any empathy towards the characters and all these tanks, guns people dying are over one person then I'll just laugh and think it's ridiculous.

Pagelzilla
  • Pagelzilla

Blowjob Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ Tuesday, Feb 7 2012, 06:34)
QUOTE (Tuff Luv Capo @ Tuesday, Feb 7 2012, 08:48)

That's what I'm worried about when I see films like this. 14yo kids getting national pride and hardons for soldiers thinking they're cool. American pride, honour and all that cheesy brainwash bullsh*t.

This looks a little different but its hard to tell. Aesthetically it looks good but I'm afraid I wont feel any empathy towards the characters and all these tanks, guns people dying are over one person then I'll just laugh and think it's ridiculous.

So having patriotism is a bad thing? I didn't realize that.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:54 PM

No, patriotism isn't a bad thing but it's been done to death over the years with Hollywood and it's all usually cringe-worthy and seems to appeal to a less than knowledable demographic. There's not much artistic merit when it comes to patriotic stories, just self congragalatory(sp?) back-patting, flag flying and usually at someone elses expense too.

You seen Republican Space Invaders or whatever the name is... This is a great satire on American patriot war films the made me laugh.

biggrin.gif

Don't get me wrong, this film looks great but I'm weary of some of its themes or messages.

Tuff Luv Capo
  • Tuff Luv Capo

• Members

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

Pink hit the nail on the head. Honest patriotism isn't sold to the lowest common denominator through cheesy previews in a movie theater. It's obvious that they want Ricky and Steve who served a 3 month stint in Korea blowing each other to grab their bank teller wives and hop in their Chevy Camerica with license plate "MURRIKA" that they bought because they wanted to "buy american" without realizing that buying a used car doesn't help anyone but the previous owner, and drive on down to the Cineplex and relive memories so far from their own experience that they end up crying not because of patriotism but only because of how happy they are that other people might actually believe this is what they did for their country.

Mr White0161
  • Mr White0161

I am the f*cking shark.

• Members

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:10 AM

Even though I'm sure the movie will be cool I just can't get past the bullsh*t behind it. I see it as no more than unnecessary propaganda for the Untied States military in attempts to get it's high school youth to join (in this case) the Navy. I love a good action movie with lots of people getting killed and sh*t blowing up but movies like this piss me off because there is so much bullsh*t involved. And I'm pretty sure the only reason they are making this movie is because of the media the Seal teams have been getting within the past 6months. Bottom line I probably wont even see this movie, maybe one day when nothing else is on TV and it's just there but going out of my way to see it is nothing more than a waste of time.

Tuff Luv Capo
  • Tuff Luv Capo

• Members

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:45 AM

QUOTE (Mr White0161 @ Sunday, Feb 12 2012, 23:10)
Even though I'm sure the movie will be cool I just can't get past the bullsh*t behind it. I see it as no more than unnecessary propaganda for the Untied States military in attempts to get it's high school youth to join (in this case) the Navy. I love a good action movie with lots of people getting killed and sh*t blowing up but movies like this piss me off because there is so much bullsh*t involved. And I'm pretty sure the only reason they are making this movie is because of the media the Seal teams have been getting within the past 6months. Bottom line I probably wont even see this movie, maybe one day when nothing else is on TV and it's just there but going out of my way to see it is nothing more than a waste of time.

Spoken like a real American

jelly
  • jelly

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:43 PM

QUOTE (Mr White0161 @ Monday, Feb 13 2012, 05:10)

blah blah blah. every Hollywood movie has bullsh*t in it. this one just has nationalist bullsh*t in it, who cares what the theme is?

this is the first real action movie that has ever been made, and it will probably be the last one too. It'll be worth watching for that alone.

Mr White0161
  • Mr White0161

I am the f*cking shark.

• Members

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:59 AM

QUOTE (Tuff Luv Capo @ Wednesday, Feb 15 2012, 06:45)
QUOTE (Mr White0161 @ Sunday, Feb 12 2012, 23:10)

Spoken like a real American

I'm Canadian Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

@Jelly- I know most movies are bullsh*t but this one a little too much for my liking if ya catch my drift...

Lelouch vi Britannia
  • Lelouch vi Britannia

Zero

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:23 PM

Platoon is better than all of em

Pagelzilla
  • Pagelzilla

Blowjob Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:09 PM

Then do you guys not enjoy any war movies? Because even the most critically acclaimed have the same level of "bullsh!t" you're talking about.

Even movies like Full Metal Jacket have the same preachy aspect to them (obviously not the same message though)

Mr White0161
  • Mr White0161

I am the f*cking shark.

• Members

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:49 AM

QUOTE (Pagelzilla @ Thursday, Feb 16 2012, 18:09)
Then do you guys not enjoy any war movies? Because even the most critically acclaimed have the same level of "bullsh!t" you're talking about.

Even movies like Full Metal Jacket have the same preachy aspect to them (obviously not the same message though)

Ones that were done well such as Platoon, Full Metal Jacket... Mainly due to the fact they didn't try to glorify anything. They tried to make it real by looking at what 'really' went on without all this "oh aren't they hero's, true patriots, blah blah blah".

Mr.Funny12
  • Mr.Funny12

Just keep swimming...

• Members

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:15 PM

I'm gonna see it probably tomorrow if not tonight. It's worth the watch atleast. Could be really good, could be really bad but I'm prepared to find out.

Forty
  • Forty

he shouts stroke darker the strings

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:21 PM

The only reason this movie appeals to me is because it stars real active U.S. Navy SEALs using the tactics and training they specialize in to make the film as realistic as possible for a big budget action flick. Still, though, I tend to agree that it will likely be a flag-waving extravaganza.

Mr.Funny12
  • Mr.Funny12

Just keep swimming...

• Members

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:41 PM

I saw it. It did have some over dramatic parts but the fights scenes were really cool. Whiplash is freaking awesome.

TheCacti
  • TheCacti

l'administration vous emmerde

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Macau

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:59 AM

I think I saw a preview for this during the super bowl. Must say it looked like a good ol' piece of American propaganda geared towards youth. War, get with it or get with it!

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica
  • Yardie Achievement Award

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:28 AM

I hear people saying how this movie is a recruitment propaganda. Well I've seen this flick, and if this makes you want to join up there is something very wrong with you. If anything, this movie should make you stay the f*ck away from these guys and everything related to them.

Good movie by the way. Sure it has some Hollywood moments, but it's fun to watch. And that's all that matters in the end.

thelonewolf1993
  • thelonewolf1993

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE (Mr.Funny12 @ Thursday, Jan 12 2012, 21:04)
Just caught this trailer not to long ago. Here is an extended trailer I found:

An unprecedented blend of real-life heroism and original filmmaking, Act of Valor stars a group of active-duty Navy SEALs in a powerful story of contemporary global anti-terrorism. Inspired by true events, the film combines stunning combat sequences, up-to-the minute battlefield technology and heart-pumping emotion for the ultimate action adventure. Act of Valor takes audiences deep into the secretive world of the most elite, highly trained group of warriors in the modern world. When the rescue of a kidnapped CIA operative leads to the discovery of a deadly terrorist plot against the U.S., a team of SEALs is dispatched on a worldwide manhunt. As the valiant men of Bandito Platoon race to stop a coordinated attack that could kill and wound thousands of American civilians, they must balance their commitment to country, team and their families back home. Each time they accomplish their mission

Looks pretty good to me. Said to be released February 24th in the US.

Mr.Funny12
  • Mr.Funny12

Just keep swimming...

• Members

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:33 PM

Damn that was pretty good. Better then most of the videos on youtube anyways. icon14.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users