Photo

Reducing Vram

7 replies to this topic
ramarar
  • ramarar

Rat

• Members

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:32 AM

I had told you before that I had desktop with winxp and 256 mb RAM. I got a new cpu and I upgraded from windows xp to 7. In winxp I ran the dxdiag tool and it showed that AGP texture acceleration was not available and vram was 1024 mb. However, when I ran Dxdiag in windows 7 it showed AGP texture acceleration enabled and 766 mb vram. Can anyone tell what is happening?

ramarar
  • ramarar

Rat

• Members

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:06 AM

Vram increased itself to 798 mb. Can Anyone tell me what is happening

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:35 PM

Something's not right with the information that you've provided. We need more details. Can you provide us with your current full system specifications?

ramarar
  • ramarar

Rat

• Members

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:30 AM

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit ( I originally had xp professional but then upgraded to 7)
2 GB RAM
1GB Intel® G41 Express Chipset Video Card
Processor Pentium® Dual Core CPU with clock speed of 3 GHz.
Intel Bios.

Is this enough?

And here is the proof

http://i41.tinypic.com/koyl3.png

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE (ramarar @ Monday, Jan 16 2012, 11:00)
1GB Intel® G41 Express Chipset Video Card

You seem to be misinformed. That chipset has the X4500 video card on-board which supports a maximum of 1GB shared memory depending on how much RAM you have.

Your dedicated video memory is only 128MB; anything above that is non-local i.e. taken from your system RAM and used as video memory. Shared memory is slower than dedicated memory so you're going to have problems running current gen games on this system.

As for your problem, you see a lower amount of shared memory because Windows 7 requires more RAM than Windows XP does. Since RAM is also required for other tasks, a lower percentage is assigned to the shared memory. I'd recommend getting a decent video card.

ramarar
  • ramarar

Rat

• Members

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:33 AM

Is 798mb not enough? And one more thing. You know I had posted a topic code 12. In it the there was no Vram being displayed Even with video card . Can this happen with this pc as well. I mean that can the vram go totally to 0

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:13 PM

Is 798mb not enough?

Not on that video card, as it is Shared with the System Ram-meaning there may not be enough dedicated vram for the game(s)....If that was an on-board video card then yes that is enough vram, but since it is an Integrated card then No, as I have yet to see an Intel Video card with more than 128MB of dedicated vram...Even the Integrated Nvidia and ATI cards usually have no more than 256MB of dedicated vram(from experience)...

But, @OP, with only 2GB Ram on Windows 7, there is hardly any left for games, as Windows 7 32-bit uses around 1.1GB to 1.4GB of RAM for the OS itself...You definitely need more RAM, a better video card, and a better processor if you want to play games on that PC...From experience, Intel Video cards tend to work a lot better on Windows XP than they do on Vista and 7...To prove that, I have an XP Pro laptop with an Intel Centrino(Core2Duo) @2.0GHZ, 2GB DDR2 Ram, and an Intel GMA 965 w/128mb dedicated vram and can max. out SA, VC, and III with no problems...However, on my desktop with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core @2.10GHZ, 3GB DDR2 Ram, and an ATI Radeon X1250 w/ 1407mb vram(integrated card) and Vista Home Premium SA only runs decent on Low settings and VC and III run at medium...

But, the only way you can upgrade is if you have a desktop, as the video card is soldered into laptops and thus cannot be upgraded without getting a new Mother board, processor, ram, and video card(if you can find them for laptops, as I have yet to find any stores that sells that kind of stuff for laptops)...and even then it is expensive, as the motherboard can be at least $500+(according to a local PC repair shop in the Gulfcoast area)-and this was back in 2007, so I am sure that price has gone up with inflation? Just a heads up.

ramarar
  • ramarar

Rat

• Members

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:46 AM

But I have nfs most wanted installed as well. It has a tool called easyinfo. when I used it then it displayed this http://i43.tinypic.com/zss29v.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users