» «
Photo

Drifting

71 replies to this topic
Flashify
  • Flashify

IV IS STILL KING

• Members

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:29 PM Edited by Flashify, 16 January 2012 - 05:43 PM.

Ignore if necessary. -Quick, GTA definition and info from GTA Wiki:
Drifting, also known as Powersliding is a racing technique that the player (and NPCs, although it is scripted) can use to lose a pursuing vehicle (i.e. Cops), help win races (single/multiplayer races) or Machinima. The player could drift from GTA III onwards, but from the start, was proven difficult without the help of modifications. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and Grand Theft Auto IV are have been know to be the best games (in the series) to drift. Tactics like these can prove valuable in missions and more in racing, as it is quicker than slowing down in a turn; that is, if done right.
Drifting is where a driver comes up to a turn, and instead purposely slides into and angle moving around a turn...This is generally faster than slowing down at a turn. The most popular kind of drifting in GTA is the "Handbrake Drift" or "E-Brake Drift". Note that other ways such as "Braking Drifts," "Accelerating Drifts" and "Turning Drifts" are very similar except they use their brakes, throttle and steering to oversteer into a slide, respectively.

It has come to my attention that there is not a forum specifically focused on drifting in Grand Theft Auto V. Drifting in GTA IV seemed to never actually benefit the person performing it as the power you have once you come out of the turn is minimal and, overall, it actually just ends up slowing you down. Now, I'm no expert at all this motorhead talk but I'll speak from what I know. When you press the handbrake in GTA IV and start to drift, you instantly start to slow down and by the time you regain traction in your back wheels, all of the engine's revs completely fall back to zero (near enough, anyway), leaving you with no power to exit the drift with and you have to just repeat the acceleration process. In reality when you purposely over-steer (drift), you are able to keep your revs high by shifting your gears and put power into your wheels by putting your foot down, leaving you with plenty of torque to exit the drift powerfully and with speed. The problem in the game is that the cars are automatic to the players, therefore once the revs fall, all you can do to bring them back up is keep your finger on the trigger, which has no effect on increasing the torque, but just wheel-spinning the car so that when you do leave a drift, you will just have to wait for the car to speed up again as I mentioned before.

In GTA V, I would like to see an option for manual/automatic gears for cars, this could possibly be a modification when you 'do up' your vehicle. This will please not only me, but loads of other players that enjoy drifting but need mods to be able to do so properly (which is in fact, still not proper drifting, more power-sliding than anything).

An example of drifting for those of you who are unfamiliar:

Sorry for the 'wall' of text but I just wanted to share with anyone who's interested, and please PM me or comment if I have any false information above, apologies if I do.
Please discuss, thanks smile.gif

16/1/12, Edit: Credit to JBanton for his idea for all of those who are against drifting or would just prefer the default handling that the car is given: When modifying a vehicle, an option to change tyre types for more or less traction.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

They could definitely improve the drifting in V. Your right about losing momentum when drifting in IV, but this really depends on the car. I drift like a boss with the Sultan RS or the Blista Compact.

JBanton
  • JBanton

Mr. Nice-Guy...

• Members

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:46 PM

I fully agree in Gran Turismo 5 you have to downshift in order to get a better supply of torque. Personally I'd love the manual shift idea, not sure how they'd map it on to the Ps3 though. The fact that a lot of drift ended up with me spinning out, even with an AWD car such as the Sultan was really annoying for me in GTA IV. In conclusion I fully support the drifting and manual gear shift, but as with all driving-enthusiast based aspect of the game it should be optional, so's not to upset the general gaming audience.

Flashify
  • Flashify

IV IS STILL KING

• Members

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:50 PM Edited by Flashify, 10 January 2012 - 07:52 PM.

Thanks for the positive responses! smile.gif

GTA-King, I understand what your're saying as it does depend on the car, but whatever car you use, you're going to lose momentum and power whilst drifting unless you mod the game.

JBanton, I know what you mean, but that's why I thought of the idea that you could choose whether your car is automatic or manual when you modify your car, would fit in under performance in my opinion.. but 'til then the cars in the game will be automatic by default like every other GTA.

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE (JBanton @ Tuesday, Jan 10 2012, 19:46)
The fact that a lot of drift ended up with me spinning out, even with an AWD car such as the Sultan was really annoying for me in GTA IV.

You just need to stop hitting the gas when you drift then you get better control. If you time it well you also don't lose much power.

And I don't like this whole manual transmission idea. I've never drifted in real life but that would just over complicate things, how would the controls work?

SGT. Johnson
  • SGT. Johnson

"To Obey and Survive"

• Members

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:59 PM

So mostly YOU want drifiting in GTA V? This is partially a wishlist topic, but I digress.

I don't see why drifting is such a big deal; from what you described above, braking and accelerating are the better and faster options. Drifting only slows you down and makes you crash into light poles and sh*t. Believe me; I drift around all the time, but they've made it unrewarding if pulled off successfully; all it really does is make you look cool, but if you were to put both theories to the test, braking/accelerating would trumph drifting any day in IV.

Perhaps it will be minorly tweaked but don't get your hopes up. On GTA IV PC, there are mods for you to do realistic drifting.

Flashify
  • Flashify

IV IS STILL KING

• Members

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE (boxmonster @ Tuesday, Jan 10 2012, 19:56)
QUOTE (JBanton @ Tuesday, Jan 10 2012, 19:46)
The fact that a lot of drift ended up with me spinning out, even with an AWD car such as the Sultan was really annoying for me in GTA IV.

You just need to stop hitting the gas when you drift then you get better control. If you time it well you also don't lose much power.

And I don't like this whole manual transmission idea. I've never drifted in real life but that would just over complicate things, how would the controls work?

But you can never power out of drifts and you ill always come out slower than you went in with.

It isn't compulsory, hence why I suggested it should be under Performance when you modify your car at a garage.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:01 PM Edited by GTA-King, 10 January 2012 - 08:12 PM.

With the Sultan RS you don't lose that much momentum when you drift. It's because those types of cars are made for drifting, so therefore they have alot more power.

It really depends on how you drift though. Do you wait until the last minute to make the turn? Or do you slide way before the turn approaches? I done it the first way for a long time, but then I began trying out the second method and I must say it works out alot better once you master it.

And I agree boxmonster. It definitely helps to let off the gas when drifting in IV.

Flashify
  • Flashify

IV IS STILL KING

• Members

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE (SGT. Johnson @ Tuesday, Jan 10 2012, 19:59)
So mostly YOU want drifiting in GTA V? This is partially a wishlist topic, but I digress.

I don't see why drifting is such a big deal; from what you described above, braking and accelerating are the better and faster options. Drifting only slows you down and makes you crash into light poles and sh*t. Believe me; I drift around all the time, but they've made it unrewarding if pulled off successfully; all it really does is make you look cool, but if you were to put both theories to the test, braking/accelerating would trumph drifting any day in IV.

Perhaps it will be minorly tweaked but don't get your hopes up. On GTA IV PC, there are mods for you to do realistic drifting.

That's exactly the point i'm trying to make, I want it so it is rewarding and benefits you with a quicker turn.

GTA-King, Yes but it's still not great. I do both methods depending on the turn and my speed. That's what I'm trying to emphasise as a problem, when you slide way before the turn, you lose power and slow right down depending on the angle you drift at. As for the 1st method, this isn't affected too much in terms of speed, but that's only if you make it a split-second slide.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:27 PM

Agreed that they could make it alot more fluent and smoother. Drifting in past GTA games was a breeze. It's just the way the suspension is in IV. More realistic, so you have to take into account real life physics in order to properly drift.

Hell I only drift in IV when I'm being chased or giving chase.

JBanton
  • JBanton

Mr. Nice-Guy...

• Members

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:28 PM Edited by JBanton, 10 January 2012 - 08:32 PM.

One thing I did notice however is that the standard brake and accelerate did hurt for some vehicles; the Sultan RS suffering the heaviest due its turbo size, I clearly remember many a time where certain turbo cars suffered from turbo lag, which made for poor torque delivery when turbo pressure was incorrect.
EDIT; @GTA-King, Gran Turismo 5 is a realistic driving SIMULATOR and drifting is an absolute BREEZE, anyway aside from the virtual world have you ever seen how easy it is to drift a D!GP machine? suspension is nearly meaningless seeing as IRL I can easily drift a factory spec Nissan Fairlady Z Version S (Z33).

SGT. Johnson
  • SGT. Johnson

"To Obey and Survive"

• Members

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE (Flashify @ Tuesday, Jan 10 2012, 20:21)

That's exactly the point i'm trying to make, I want it so it is rewarding and benefits you with a quicker turn.

GTA-King, Yes but it's still not great. I do both methods depending on the turn and my speed. That's what I'm trying to emphasise as a problem, when you slide way before the turn, you lose power and slow right down depending on the angle you drift at. As for the 1st method, this isn't affected too much in terms of speed, but that's only if you make it a split-second slide.

What? The mods?

If you are expecting GTA V to have drifting like THAT, then you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Realistically, expect maybe a few minor tweaks for V. Rockstar will not heavily base GTA V on racing. GTA V has a little bit of every game out there in it. If they focus too much on one aspect, then the original theme of the game pertains to the emphasized part. For instance, if they focused on car customization such as MCLA and added realistic driving physics plus realistic drifting, people would see GTA V as more of a racing SIM than anything else. Same goes for Human Shields, far-fetched weaponry, and crude humor, then it becomes more like Saints Row. See where I'm going with this? It's a good idea, but don't expect too much from R*.

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:43 PM

This is the kind of realism that I wouldn't mind at all. Making drifting rewarding would be pretty great, and would add something fun to the game without breaking immersion or whatever. So yeah, I'm all for this.

blowtorchrepair
  • blowtorchrepair

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:52 PM

oh JFC... Wouldn't almost all talk of V fall under wish list since most of the threads here are about aspects which people ultimately either wish or wish not to return or be added to the game?

smdh...

Flashify
  • Flashify

IV IS STILL KING

• Members

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:59 PM Edited by Flashify, 10 January 2012 - 09:01 PM.

oh JFC... Wouldn't almost all talk of V fall under wish list since most of the threads here are about aspects which people ultimately either wish or wish not to return or be added to the game?

smdh...

icon14.gif Anything you'd like to say about the topic aha? sigh.gif

r0eladn
  • r0eladn

Big Homie

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:18 PM

Great topic !

In GTA4 i havnt found ONE car that when you stand still and then put the petal to the metal the tires would spin without having traction.
I would like to see those 'burnouts' from standing still.
Also drifting around corners can always improve.

llpalm08
  • llpalm08

Prankster

• Members

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:28 PM

I do agree that comming out of drifts you usually drop allot of power unless you have practised allot but it is realistic for the automatic transmission because thats not the best for doing powerslides without allot of practice.

Flashify
  • Flashify

IV IS STILL KING

• Members

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (r0eladn @ Tuesday, Jan 10 2012, 21:18)
Great topic !

In GTA4 i havnt found ONE car that when you stand still and then put the petal to the metal the tires would spin without having traction.
I would like to see those 'burnouts' from standing still.
Also drifting around corners can always improve.

Thanks!

Me neither, all vehicles seem to have too much traction and all the tyres are the same.

llpalm, I get what you mean but no matter how much you practice at drifting on IV, you will never how a powerful exit from a proper slide as you would in reality.

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

The boatman stays with the boat.

• Members

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE (JBanton @ Tuesday, Jan 10 2012, 14:46)
not sure how they'd map it on to the Ps3 though.

PS3's controller has all the same controls as the 360's controller, and the game's controls are also the same.

Flashify
  • Flashify

IV IS STILL KING

• Members

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE (leik oh em jeez! @ Tuesday, Jan 10 2012, 21:51)

PS3's controller has all the same controls as the 360's controller, and the game's controls are also the same.

Exactly.

If i'm not mistaken, the D-pad 'up' and 'down' buttons are not used foe anything once in a vehicle, therefore you could easily have 'up' as gear shift up, and 'down' as gear shift down. Simple, no?

Forzum
  • Forzum

Fossy

• Members

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:07 PM

I f*cking love drifting! That's the main reason why I buy most of the racing games I have, (Grid, Dirt 3, Shift 1 & 2, Driver: SF). And Rockstar really need to make it good/better in V, IV was ok with some cars but could be a lot better.

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:08 PM

QUOTE (Flashify @ Tuesday, Jan 10 2012, 22:01)

Exactly.

If i'm not mistaken, the D-pad 'up' and 'down' buttons are not used foe anything once in a vehicle, therefore you could easily have 'up' as gear shift up, and 'down' as gear shift down. Simple, no?

It would be difficult when about to drift though, wouldn't it? Don't you have to keep the left thumb on the analogue stick?

Flashify
  • Flashify

IV IS STILL KING

• Members

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE (Staten @ Tuesday, Jan 10 2012, 22:08)
QUOTE (Flashify @ Tuesday, Jan 10 2012, 22:01)

Exactly.

It would be difficult when about to drift though, wouldn't it? Don't you have to keep the left thumb on the analogue stick?

That's a good point haha, sorry wasn't thinking straight, perhaps the left and right Bumpers (for the 360) and L1 and R1 (for PS3) could be rearranged?

azali10
  • azali10

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE (SGT. Johnson @ Tuesday, Jan 10 2012, 20:30)
QUOTE (Flashify @ Tuesday, Jan 10 2012, 20:21)

What? The mods?

If you are expecting GTA V to have drifting like THAT, then you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Realistically, expect maybe a few minor tweaks for V. Rockstar will not heavily base GTA V on racing. GTA V has a little bit of every game out there in it. If they focus too much on one aspect, then the original theme of the game pertains to the emphasized part. For instance, if they focused on car customization such as MCLA and added realistic driving physics plus realistic drifting, people would see GTA V as more of a racing SIM than anything else. Same goes for Human Shields, far-fetched weaponry, and crude humor, then it becomes more like Saints Row. See where I'm going with this? It's a good idea, but don't expect too much from R*.

Whats wrong with human shields? And drifting? People would be more unhappy if there was no drifting than if there was. THis is a sandbox game, and it needs as many things to play with as possible. And its called grand theft AUTO after all, there should be a focus on cars to a point.

Grand_Theft_Peanut
  • Grand_Theft_Peanut

Dr. Rape

• Members

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:29 AM

Agreed, would be heaps fun! Also you reckon it would be good if we could spool up our cars? (assuming its a turbo)

mdr279
  • mdr279

• Members

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:04 AM

I totally agree with you. A great suggestion as in GTA IV most of the driving physics were crap - it felt like all the cars had traction control which just cut the power of the cars.

locolow2011
  • locolow2011

Rock on

• Members

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:16 AM

In my opinion the coquette was the best car to drift in IV, very powerful.

user posted image

JBanton
  • JBanton

Mr. Nice-Guy...

• Members

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:43 AM

user posted image

Nuff said

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:50 AM

Pretty decent drifting skills.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE (GTA-King @ Wednesday, Jan 11 2012, 21:50)

Pretty decent drifting skills.

Thats with a mod, but yeah it is pretty cool.

I Do want drifting to be tweaked, in IV it was ok, but like mentioned it was not rewarding, as you lost speed and there was such a fine line between getting it right and spinning out or hitting pole, i had trouble with it on narrow streets, on the real wide 6 lanes roads in algonquin.

Make drifting a little easier, and a little more rewarding, thats about it,

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users