With what did you grow up?

115 replies to this topic
trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:12 PM

Ok ok ok...let me old man this up a little bit.

I grew up during the pioneering time of video game entertainment. I spent my time in the pinball arcade and then games like Brick Out and Space Invaders showed up in the corner of the arcade.

Naturally we had a Pong console as our first family console. After that I had the ever famous Atari 2600. I was playing games like Test Drive on my x86 PC but eventually got a NES. My wife(then gf) pretty much took over the NES. We also ended up with a Sega Genesis that I never got a chance to touch too.

QUOTE (2191987)
NES. Even with all of the improvements made in technology since then, nothing can ever match it.
I'm going to politely disagree. Go back before NES to the arcade games that inspired allot of NES game. Nothing can match where it all started tounge2.gif

sonnyBlack
  • sonnyBlack

Rest your trigger on my finger

• Members

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:17 PM

NES for me. I had older siblings who got it new when they were younger, but it was still being heavily used by them when I was born, so it was my first game system I played when I got old enough. I still remember feeling like such a badass holding that gun controller while playing Duck Hunt. Those were fun times. smile.gif

Tommy.
  • Tommy.

MUFC

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Sports] 2013

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:38 PM

I grew up playing the Nintendo 64. Great consolde and I still have it smile.gif

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:51 PM

Commodore (spelling) 64

Redketman
  • Redketman

Hustler

• Members

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:11 AM

I grew up with Super Nintendo and Sega Mega Drive + CD in the late 90s. We also owned a NES and I remember some games I played. But apparently we sold that console and I didn't got a new one until some years later. We also owned a Playstation 1 console which had many memorable games. I actually think PS1 eventually became my favourite console.

Unfortunately I don't remember much details and emotions from my early childhood and I guess that's normal sometimes. I do know which games I liked and used to play though.

NES: Duck Hunt, Castlevania and a cart with 25 games which happened to have Lunar Pool or at least a similar game to that pool game.
Playstation 1: Motor Toon Grand Prix 2 and during the early 2000s: Croc, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 & 2 & 3 and Tekken 3.
Sega games: Sega Arcade Classics, Road Avenger, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Jungle Book and Turtles.
Super Nintendo Games: Super Mario World, Aladdin and Super Bomberman.

When I was around 10 years old my favourites game were Pokémon Gold and GTA III which are two memorable games and two of the best games all time.

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:18 AM

I had a N64, PS1 and a PS2 and 360 today. Also was into PC gaming as well back in the day, got project 64 for all the old 64 games.

Boris The Vodka
  • Boris The Vodka

[Y]es

• The Yardies
  • Russia

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:25 AM

My first ones were Tetris and Dendy. Good times. I remember me and friends playing it on my country house.

Redketman
  • Redketman

Hustler

• Members

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:42 AM

I forgot to say that I also played some PC games back in the day. But those were just kid games that I would never play today. I find it quite interesting that I played at least some PC games when I was a very young kid because today I never play any PC games at all. In fact the only really big PC game I have beaten is Manhunt 1-2 years ago.

I am and has always been a video gamer, not really a PC-gamer though.

GTAIndonesia
  • GTAIndonesia

Gone

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:49 AM

My lovely, now-broken PS2 sad.gif cryani.gif

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:04 AM

For me, we always had some type of gaming console in the family, with my brother tending to be the one who had one. The earliest one that I can remember the family having was that one with the tape deck/keyboard...of which I'm not sure about which console it was. Doesn't really matter anyway as that wasn't one that I actually grew up with.

For me, the earliest console that I remember actually playing was the NES, and the typical likes of Mario being one of the most played games. Then I moved onto the SNES, surprise, surprise. Unfortunately, this broke due to some dodgy power supply, so we went and bought a Sega Master System II, with Sonic built into it...and I think this is one of the only games we had for it.

Personally though, the console that was officially mine and that I grew up with was the fantastic, N64. I still remember the day that I opened it up, then just sat in front of the TV all day with Goldeneye on. For me, this is the console that will never be beaten, especially when it comes to the fun factor.

DOOM!
  • DOOM!

yessir

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:40 AM

On the PC I grew up playing MDK, Redneck Rampage, Half Life, Roller Coaster Tycoon and my dad randomly threw in Reader Rabbit with the mix. As for Super Nintendo, a Godzilla RPG type game, Mario, SF 2 and I had a Gameboy cartridge when that came out, so I was rockin' some Pokemon on the Super Nintendo for a little bit.

marmoo
  • marmoo

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:41 AM

Good topic

Sinclair ZX80
Sinclair ZX81(with 16k Ram)
Atari 2600 (The wooden box one smile.gif )
Sinclair Spectrum 48k
Vectrex
Sega Master System
Sega Mega Drive
Playstation 1
Playstation 2
PC

I must admit the ZX Spectrum was the best computer I have ever owned
What a plucky little machine - pushed to the limits at all times and the gameplay was superb - much better than your Commodore sh*te

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:05 AM

Unboxing the Atari in 1981...

user posted image

My favourite game was "Adventure" Where you would play a little square Dovakiin and slay dragons

In those days tho, like trip said, the arcade was king. One of the most memorable was the Star Wars arcade machine. Damn, you had to sit in the thing - it was awesome

marmoo
  • marmoo

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

Adventure was the best smile.gif

In terms of arcade machines, Track and Field was my favourite

LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:42 AM

My first console was a Sega Megadrive that was given to me by a friend, spent hours playing games like Streets of rage, Shinobi, and Golden Axe. Also i had this game about a werewolf, he would start of as man and then change to defeat enemies, i cannot remember the title for the life of me so if anyone knows what im on about please put me out of my misery lol.gif

Then i think i went onto a Gameboy pocket, and i don't think the Pokemon cartridge ever left it, i was addicted to that game and still play it occasionally on the Gameboy Emulator on PC.

Then it went to PS2, Xbox, PS3, then the Xbox 360.

I would say my favourite console so far, but some people get far to passionate about things and id hate to cause a troll war..

markusizr
  • markusizr

:D

• Members

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

i still have old nintendo 64 and ps1 from my birthday when i was 12 years old

Mcquiz
  • Mcquiz

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:55 AM

I grew up with San Andreas and Colin Mcrae Rally 2005 on PC.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:55 PM

QUOTE (tms_junk @ Friday, Apr 27 2012, 10:42)
...Streets of rage...and Golden Axe...

Ha, thanks for the nostalgic trip. I remember playing these 2 games to death when I was younger. Me and my mate would spend hours on both of these games, replaying them over and over for the sheer fun that the games had. I've been trying to find the game that had that Police Car special attack for ages now, so cheers for that. icon14.gif

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:05 PM Edited by trip, 28 April 2012 - 01:15 AM.

QUOTE (marmoo @ Tuesday, Apr 24 2012, 04:41)
Sinclair ZX80
Sinclair ZX81(with 16k Ram)

Bastard tounge2.gif . I had a Sinclair 2000 (a whopping 2k of ram). I later graduated to a TI99-4A then an Apple][. It was fun to rub the Apple in the faces of the Commodore kids.

@JOSEPH X - that pic is beyond classic.

edit:
ah what the hell. Since this is behind me in my closet. Here is my Franklin Ace 1200 from the 80s. The words first Apple clone.
user posted image
Still works. The freaking case is like cast iron - I kid you not.

Kalvin
  • Kalvin

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

Well, i first got GTA:VC with a PS2 when i was 4.. and i had Ratchet and Clank also..
So yeah, GTA:VC and Ratchet & Clank

tuareg
  • tuareg

Goodbye, John Marston. It's been a great pleasure!

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:08 AM

The Atari 2600, Pokémon Blue and Street Fighter Alpha for the GBC. All day err day.

MeapydayCax
  • MeapydayCax

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:44 AM

I spent wayyyyy to much time playing Chrono Trigger on SNES. The story, game play and charecters just sucked you right in. The other problem is that once you beat it you start over with all of your XP points and skills. ADDICTING.

Gtaghost22
  • Gtaghost22

• Members

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:15 AM

PlayStation 1 cool.gif

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:55 AM

I also had a Bee (Micro Bee, I think its full name was) it was a good machine although I miss the Amiga.

Simon_V
  • Simon_V

Red Dead Undead

• Members

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:14 AM

Super Nintendo and Nintendo 64... good times, good times. sigh.gif

marmoo
  • marmoo

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:22 AM

QUOTE (nightwalker83 @ Saturday, Apr 28 2012, 07:55)
I also had a Bee (Micro Bee, I think its full name was) it was a good machine although I miss the Amiga.

I used to borrow my friends Amiga from time to time

Not a bad machine(for a Commodore biggrin.gif ) and used to play Championship Manager on it all the time - Think that is where my love affair with that game begun

MrcTOtheJ
  • MrcTOtheJ

Cleaning the Trash since '94

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:29 AM

I grew up on the PS1, and the SNES for the post part, the PS1 was a cousin of mine's and the SNES was mine, played both quite a big. Then I got a game cube in the early mid 2000s. (04 or 05 I want to say.)

Still have the SNES, with Super Mario World, best Mario game made to this day in My opinion, besides Mario Kart Double dash of course, played a whole summer of Double dash with some friends of mine one year lol.

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:49 AM

QUOTE (marmoo @ Sunday, Apr 29 2012, 17:52)
QUOTE (nightwalker83 @ Saturday, Apr 28 2012, 07:55)

I used to borrow my friends Amiga from time to time

Not a bad machine(for a Commodore biggrin.gif ) and used to play Championship Manager on it all the time - Think that is where my love affair with that game begun

I found a site a while back that was dedicated to the Amiga I think they even sold them. I have an emulator but I can't even enough of the old games I used to play.

LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE (Butters 2011 @ Friday, Apr 27 2012, 21:55)
QUOTE (tms_junk @ Friday, Apr 27 2012, 10:42)
...Streets of rage...and Golden Axe...

Ha, thanks for the nostalgic trip. I remember playing these 2 games to death when I was younger. Me and my mate would spend hours on both of these games, replaying them over and over for the sheer fun that the games had. I've been trying to find the game that had that Police Car special attack for ages now, so cheers for that. icon14.gif

Nothing better than a good trip down memory lane lol.gif

They have Golden Axe on the Sega vintage collection game, but its one of them things that i remember to be so amazing when i was younger, and i would hate to play it now im older and not enjoy it, because that would tarnish the memory of it.

Some things are best left alone.

King Mystery
  • King Mystery

Playa

• Members

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:06 PM

I remember having a Gameboy Color that I really liked. I had one game on it, Pacman, but I loved it so much. Also, I was a huge fan of the PS2 around the time it came out.
I wasn't quite as oldschool as some, but they still made a great childhood.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users