Photo

Gfwl or Steamworks?

28 replies to this topic
v-man
  • v-man

Rat

• Members

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:55 PM

I would personally enjoy having GFWL for this game because I never had any problems with it and besides, it allows us to connect with the huge xboxbase

So what do you think? Which service is the best....or none of them?

Still gfwl would be cool as we can get achievement and spend more time completing the game to perfection.

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Blue lives don't matter

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:06 PM Edited by Street Mix, 01 January 2012 - 07:58 PM.

NONE. I'm almost confident that GTA V will be using R* Social Club so there's no need in another client.

F**k achievements (in both DRMs) and f**k xbox connectivity. What's the point of it?

As for Steamworks - only in Steam version. Like LA Noire or Witcher 2.

Freezer89
  • Freezer89

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:58 PM

Between those two DRM's, definitely Steamworks. Games for Windows Live is just crap and i got many problems with that and Batman Arkham City.
But somehow i am confident that GTA V won't use GFWL, because La Noire and apparently Max Payne 3 doesn't use it.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:58 PM

Steamworks all the way, GfWL is just trying to treat PC Users as if they bought a Console, and it shows.

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Blue lives don't matter

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:23 PM Edited by Street Mix, 01 January 2012 - 07:43 PM.

I was talking about clients in the previous post.

As for DRM - surely Live is much better. If smth happens to your Live account, you can create a new one and transfer saves (in GTA 4). But if smth happens to your Steam than you have to re-buy your game. Not to mention still broken offline mode for some people. For these people Steam DRM isn't any better than Ubi DRM.
Having game dependent on some client sucks.

No DRM would be perfect but it's only dreams.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE (Street Mix @ Sunday, Jan 1 2012, 19:23)

As for DRM - surely Live is much better. If smth happens to your Live account, you can create a new one and transfer saves (in GTA 4). But if smth happens to your Steam than you have to re-buy your game. Not to mention still broken offline mode for some people. For these people Steam DRM isn't any better than Ubi DRM.

Eh, I can't speak for anyone else here, but in the past, Steam has treated me much better than GfWL, I mean, if something messes up of GfWL, who do I even go to? Their official forums have been trashed and merged with Xbox Support! At least if anything DOES go wrong, I can easily sort problems out on Steam thanks to their support.

Plus:

Multiplayer - Steam has always worked better than GfWL
Usage - Steam seems more streamlined compared to the bloated GfWL
Patching - OH HOLY f*ck STEAM IS SOO MUCH BETTER, the amount of errors and stupid sh*t I had to endure when I let GfWL try auto-patching, f*cking thing was a mess!
Looks - Ok, personal here, but GfWL just looks like a retarded throwback from Xbox, the entire pointless integration with Xbox is just un needed, at least when Steam goes on other platforms (MAC + PS3) you can actually join a game with those platforms

There's a lot more to, even if you hate DRM it's hard to see, given the choice, why anyone would prefer GfWL, the only thing I see is idiot kids "BAWW, MAKE IT USE GFWL SO I CAN EARN ACHIEVEMENTS ON MY XBOX CARD!", just, what the hell, people, Achievements arn't a reason to accept a crippled, bloated, un-gamer, system. GTA V will never be DRM free, so we may as well hope Rockstar have the sense to go with the best available for PC Gamers and that's Steam.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE (Ash_735 @ Monday, Jan 2 2012, 06:55)
QUOTE (Street Mix @ Sunday, Jan 1 2012, 19:23)

Eh, I can't speak for anyone else here, but in the past, Steam has treated me much better than GfWL, I mean, if something messes up of GfWL, who do I even go to? Their official forums have been trashed and merged with Xbox Support! At least if anything DOES go wrong, I can easily sort problems out on Steam thanks to their support.

Plus:

Multiplayer - Steam has always worked better than GfWL
Usage - Steam seems more streamlined compared to the bloated GfWL
Patching - OH HOLY f*ck STEAM IS SOO MUCH BETTER, the amount of errors and stupid sh*t I had to endure when I let GfWL try auto-patching, f*cking thing was a mess!
Looks - Ok, personal here, but GfWL just looks like a retarded throwback from Xbox, the entire pointless integration with Xbox is just un needed, at least when Steam goes on other platforms (MAC + PS3) you can actually join a game with those platforms

There's a lot more to, even if you hate DRM it's hard to see, given the choice, why anyone would prefer GfWL, the only thing I see is idiot kids "BAWW, MAKE IT USE GFWL SO I CAN EARN ACHIEVEMENTS ON MY XBOX CARD!", just, what the hell, people, Achievements arn't a reason to accept a crippled, bloated, un-gamer, system. GTA V will never be DRM free, so we may as well hope Rockstar have the sense to go with the best available for PC Gamers and that's Steam.

Steam is much much better, GFWL is a load of dated unsupported sh*t, the last couple games from R* did not use it so im guessing V won't either, like Ash said steam is a better client, not that many people use GFWL because of reasons ash stated.

JoshGTAfreak
  • JoshGTAfreak

Homie

• Members

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:23 PM

Don't Rockstar have their own client?

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Blue lives don't matter

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:23 PM Edited by Street Mix, 01 January 2012 - 08:58 PM.

My first post is what a I really want.
My second post is why I don't want Steam exclusivity. But I don't want Live even more, don't get me wrong. 8 months ago I couldn't play MP because of errors in Live system. And the whole month prior to that I could get into Live only on 3-4th try. So I installed Xliveless for the next 0.5 year.

I can't wait for Steam to introduce the possibility to choose and install among all released patches for the game (just like DLC) because right now Steam installs the latest patch which may not be better. Especially in R* game.
There's a lot more to, even if you hate DRM it's hard to see, given the choice, why anyone would prefer GfWL

I just said in what aspect Live is better for legitimate and a bit paranoid buyer. tounge.gif
At least if anything DOES go wrong, I can easily sort problems out on Steam thanks to their support.

Unless your account is disabled/banned by Valve. That what I meant by "smth" happens.

So like I said in the first post - R* Social Club will be enough. R* did fine with LA Noire (No Live,no Steam exclusivity, Steamworks only on Steam) so hopefully same will be for MP3, GTA5.

S1LV3R_W0LF
  • S1LV3R_W0LF

PC Gamer at heart

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:51 PM

If GFWL is part of this I start to imagine another f*cking MS millionaire contract for exclusiveness on their plastic toy, without it I think SONY won't do it either, so NO. Also I hated the experience with that crap I was playing and for no reason was always "disconnecting" from it and I think it messed the Online gaming experience too, lots of delays and too many problems.

If they really need one or other I'll go with Steam, but I think not using 3rd party clients would be a lot better for the game.

jalaldinho
  • jalaldinho

Mark Chump

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:55 PM

And then Baaaaam ( Origin appears ) lol.gif

buzzbass
  • buzzbass

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE (Ash_735 @ Sunday, Jan 1 2012, 18:58)
Steamworks all the way, GfWL is just trying to treat PC Users as if they bought a Console, and it shows.

Agree, I hope not more GFWL suicidal.gif

DlZZEE
  • DlZZEE

PC peasant

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

Steam

JohnnyBNL
  • JohnnyBNL

Flying Dutch Man

• Members

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

Steamworks or R* Social Club or a combination of those two!

What i dont want is.... GAMES FOR WINDOWS LIVE, that sucks!

Or maybe Take-Two introduces their own "digital distribution service"

Take-Two 4 You! XD <-- required to play GTAV (you never know these days on PC)

v-man
  • v-man

Rat

• Members

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

I've heard that although LA Noire didn't use Steamworks nor GFWL it did have achievements through Soocial CLub ? Now can anyone explain me pls what's it all about ? Because apparently MAx payne 3 for PC could take the same path and GTA V definitely

So how doe the achievements work through social club as I haven't played that game yet? Thanks

Basical25
  • Basical25

Trick

• Members

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

Steam. No question about it.

superhobo666
  • superhobo666

Prankster

• Members

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE (jalaldinho @ Sunday, Jan 1 2012, 23:55)
And then Baaaaam ( Origin appears ) lol.gif

please never speak of that abomination in a gaming forum again, lest you revoke your status of "gamer" and downgrade to "casual."

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Blue lives don't matter

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

R Social Club and nothing else. I thought it was clear after LA Noire AND MP3.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

The PC install DVD ROM will have Games for Windows Live, it should be offered as option, but they make it appears like YOU MUST (in small print) to save online content) INSTALL!

Gege
  • Gege

ZoSo

• Members

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:46 PM

GFWL could be good, if it hadn't been f*cked up. It stores your save files in the hidden depths of your HDD, I've already lost 2 of my saves (one of them was 100% goddamit, I know, my bad, but come on, previous GTAs had ONE SIMPLE FOLDER: GTA XY User Files. Now that was the right sh*t!). Not to mention the pain-in-the-ass update process that may crash anytime depending on its mood. I also hate when it can't autoconnect, saying you want to play offline, and the fact that I NEED IT to play my SAVE GAME for god's sake.

I like the achievements though.

TheGreene2010
  • TheGreene2010

GTA Forums is a hopeless wretched place

• Members

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE (Gege @ Thursday, Apr 12 2012, 20:46)
GFWL could be good, if it hadn't been f*cked up. It stores your save files in the hidden depths of your HDD, I've already lost 2 of my saves (one of them was 100% goddamit, I know, my bad, but come on, previous GTAs had ONE SIMPLE FOLDER: GTA XY User Files. Now that was the right sh*t!). Not to mention the pain-in-the-ass update process that may crash anytime depending on its mood. I also hate when it can't autoconnect, saying you want to play offline, and the fact that I NEED IT to play my SAVE GAME for god's sake.

I like the achievements though.

GFWL also did that for Fallout 3, but instead of saves they hid the DLC away. Then people figured out how to pull them out and the program gladly disabled GFWL too. lol.gif

It also knocks my Xbox 360 off live when I try to sign into GFWL. (ingame only confused.gif )

_L1pE_
  • _L1pE_

Hustler

• Members

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

It would be good if had Steamworks, then it could use the VAC anti-cheat for the multiplayer servers.

wildstyle91
  • wildstyle91

Playa

• Members

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (_L1pE_ @ Thursday, Apr 12 2012, 21:29)
It would be good if had Steamworks, then it could use the VAC anti-cheat for the multiplayer servers.

As far as I know VAC is only applicable to games made by Valve.

I hope it comes out on Steam as Max Payne 3 and LA Noire did. I don't care about GFWL, I have it installed and will use it if I am forced to.

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Blue lives don't matter

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE (_L1pE_ @ Thursday, Apr 12 2012, 23:29)

R* has its own system. This is my 4th post about the same thing lol.

gtasadude
  • gtasadude

Stunter

• Members

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:33 PM

If they stick to what they've done with L.A Noire and Max Payne 3 then we have nothing to worry about smile.gif

buzzbass
  • buzzbass

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE (gtasadude @ Thursday, Apr 12 2012, 22:33)
If they stick to what they've done with L.A Noire and Max Payne 3 then we have nothing to worry about smile.gif

I hope smile.gif

kudoboi
  • kudoboi

HI

• Members

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:48 PM

all of u are missing the point, even thou LA noire and max payne has no GFWL, it has gameshield

pen15itive
  • pen15itive

Certified fa**ot

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:22 AM

Don't Rockstar have their own client?

I don't think so but you might be referring to their RGSC service?

TIMSTER777
  • TIMSTER777

"Dude you gotta try hoagies man"

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:37 AM

It's so funny seeing these guys talk about GFWL and now we know GFWL is shutting down. Good.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users