» «
Photo

Oil Changes

2 replies to this topic
Fozzy Fozborne
  • Fozzy Fozborne

Soldier

• Members

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:07 AM Edited by Fozzy Fozborne, 01 January 2012 - 08:11 AM.

Hey guys, I have a simple question for the car gurus: oil changes and their conflicting times/mileage.

So I have the above car with 3030 miles sitting in the driveway five months after I bought it.

The dealership said they would give me my first oil change at 3 month/3000 miles but I didn't realize just how over this deadline I was time-wise.
The owner's manual recommends every 5000 miles in 'severe' driving conditions and at 4 months.
The owner's manual recommends every 7500 miles in 'normal' conditions at 6 months.

Here is what MyMazda.com says:
user posted image

Please note the '(About 7 weeks)' is just an estimate based on average people's mileage.

So what do you think? Get it serviced A.S.A.P.? The car runs on 0w-20 synthetic oil. From what I have read, the synthetic oil doesn't break down over time like 'dinosaur' oil. The dealership where I bought my car is about 60 miles away (where I go to college, I'm home for break) is it a good idea to drive it back? Will this affect the warranty? Ah! this was a mistake sorry for the questions and thanks for any help.

- Fozzy

Oh and Happy New Year!

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Empty Pleasures and Desperate Measures since 1994

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:41 PM

It should be fine, but I'd get it changed anyway as it can invalidate your warranty. No harm in doing a relatively early first oil change after the car has been run in- the old engine-builders' trick was to run the motor in on viscous semi-synthetic to let all the components settle (800-1000 miles), then use a lighter and thinner synthetic once all the tolerances have tightened up.

Fozzy Fozborne
  • Fozzy Fozborne

Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:11 AM

Alright, that's what I thought. I will call the dealership tomorrow to set up an appointment. Thanks siv

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users