US Presidential Election 2012

2,236 replies to this topic
El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:54 PM

QUOTE (lil weasel @ Sunday, Apr 8 2012, 10:57)
Topic Title: US Presidential Election 2012

seriously, what the hell is going on here?

if you guys wanna' argue about competing systems of economics then start a new thread in the Debates forum.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:57 AM

That's all very dramatic but the bottom line is there is no economist general consensus in regards to the handling of the financial crisis. It's not merely a matter of do nothing and do something, this is a very complex issue and anyone who pretends to understand every facet of it probably doesn't know what they are talking about.

This isn't obvious. This isn't simple. Don't let Paul Krugman trick you, the financial crisis is really complicated, has a lot to do with government action and he knows it as well as anyone else who looks at the issue as an academic and not as a pundit.

Liberals smarter than you reasoned that their Keynesian approach might be helpful so they sold you on the idea that this was the only option, that the world economy would completely collapse forever if nothing was done. They didn't really believe it would lead to that because that is something a crazy person would believe. Think of it like Global Warming, the scientists and policy experts have to exaggerate how bad things will be because people don't respond to vague distant threats, so you have to break it down very simply for people "Global warming will kill you!" "the economy will collapse forever!", it doesn't mean global warming isn't a threat, it's just that they have to exaggerate it so dumb people will understand the threat.

Saying the economy will collapse forever is f*cking insane, nobody reputable actually thinks that.

Your post seems like a really long way of basically saying that it would have not fallen apart forever. That's absolutely true and I never said that it would have. If you interpreted as such from my post, then I apologize. I do speak in hyperbole almost all the time. Anyway, it would certainly have fallen apart as we knew it for a very long time, and probably, if there had been no government intervention and no type of fiscal stimulus whatsoever, we'd probably have waited at least, in my view, at least 3 years before the end of contraction. Then, if not for putting regulations back in place and actually enforcing the ones that existed, the whole thing probably would've happened all over again in a decade. While I see your sentiment, I fail to see how anyone, and I mean anyone, would actually advocate just letting the entire thing crash and then rebuild from the ground up. It's just pure stupidity.

Rown
  • Rown

weltvolkzeit

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:15 AM

Ron Paul did not win in Wisconsin. What a bummer.

The Onion's take on economy.

Rown rampage_ani.gif

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:25 AM

QUOTE (Rown @ Sunday, Apr 8 2012, 20:15)

Rown rampage_ani.gif

Sorry but this is the best Onion article.

Obama - A Cactus?

Chunkyman
  • Chunkyman

Foot Soldier

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:48 AM

QUOTE (Rown @ Monday, Apr 9 2012, 01:15)

Rown rampage_ani.gif

I love the Onion. I would give 10 chickens to see Bernanke say that in real life. biggrin.gif

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:53 PM

it's down to Obama / Romney.
let's have a look at their voting base tounge2.gif

now to keep things fair and balanced...

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:25 AM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Tuesday, Apr 10 2012, 18:53)
it's down to Obama / Romney.
let's have a look at their voting base tounge2.gif

now to keep things fair and balanced...

I'm in Pittsburgh now and tomorrow I'm heading to Charlotte followed by Charleston. The things you see along the way are insane. From VA to Charlotte there's literally one confederate flag on every fifth redneck shack. I'm hoping to find more.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:32 AM

Rick Sanctorum has DROPPED from the race, so, not much left as far as Republicans, but Ron Paul should see a spike, me thinks
Romney has more idiots backing him then is actually comfortable to joke about!

Los Santos Pedestrian
  • Los Santos Pedestrian

Then as it was, but again it will be

• Members

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Wednesday, Apr 11 2012, 05:32)
Rick Sanctorum has DROPPED from the race, so, not much left as far as Republicans, but Ron Paul should see a spike, me thinks
Romney has more idiots backing him then is actually comfortable to joke about!

I can now officially say that the Santorum has dropped.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

You got RICK ROLLED, and I kid you not, they used that on the TV news, I'd just been watching TV and posted it, but I'm sure someone has both Net and TV on at the same time! haha

I'm more depressed knowing that either way, Romney or Obama, we'll still be in a fix here in the USA, and by fix, I mean MESS!

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:04 AM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Wednesday, Apr 11 2012, 16:10)
You got RICK ROLLED, and I kid you not, they used that on the TV news, I'd just been watching TV and posted it, but I'm sure someone has both Net and TV on at the same time! haha

I'm more depressed knowing that either way, Romney or Obama, we'll still be in a fix here in the USA, and by fix, I mean MESS!

Please elaborate.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:11 AM

I'm just saying, whatever they were saying, the announcement seemed to be a surprise. I consulted with my mom, and she doesn't like the guy and is glad he's dropped out, but I don't like Romney, it's no secret

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:15 AM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Thursday, Apr 12 2012, 00:11)
I consulted with my mom

ok that's funny.

carry on.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

Hey, man... With Age comes Wisdom. {people who are consulting with mom.)
QUOTE (Irviding @ Thursday Apr 12 2012, 05:04)
Please elaborate.

For the Slow. An old saying, meaning if you live long you were smart enough to escape the traps of Death.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:15 AM

Well, well, well, Who doesn't talk to their mom? I'm just relating politics among people in your family, you guys act like this is a strange foreign concept. My post was a bit of a question directed back to you about what to think of the situation presently and who would you vote for? Would you just feel like voting is a non-issue based on dislike of the choices, not that it's too much trouble to go to, but with the proposed picture IDs and all, looks like they almost want to make it more of a chore

I'd suggested George W was the dumbest president I can remember, my mom disagrees, so again, a question for your to offer opinion on

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:34 AM

American presidential elections look like popularity contest to me. Lots of dumb people without any sense of reality are involved in the whole process.

Straznicy
  • Straznicy

Laugh at your problems

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:52 AM

Not been following this election as closely as the last one. I find American politics a bit too cheesy and blatantly corrupt. tounge.gif But I'm interested to get some American perspective on something I was pondering. As I understand it, Mitt Romney is a Mormon. Would the Christian bloc in the USA find issue with this in voting for him? Being a Christian (publicly) almost seems to be a per-requisite for entering American politics.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:36 AM

QUOTE (Straznicy @ Friday, Apr 13 2012, 21:52)
Not been following this election as closely as the last one. I find American politics a bit too cheesy and blatantly corrupt. tounge.gif But I'm interested to get some American perspective on something I was pondering. As I understand it, Mitt Romney is a Mormon. Would the Christian bloc in the USA find issue with this in voting for him? Being a Christian (publicly) almost seems to be a per-requisite for entering American politics.

It depends on the area of the country. In the Northeast and out west, you're not going to see those problems. But down in the deep south (not talking Virginia or NC, I'm talking Alabama, Mississippi, parts of Georgia and Louisiana) there are people who basically view Mormonism as a cult. In my view, Santorum would've totally swept every single Southern state if it weren't for him being a Catholic. To some people way down South, it's a choice between two men who practice evil religions, one of them a cultist and another who takes orders from "a Roman dictator".

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:40 AM

Obama VS Romney

Honestly, I have more and more doubts the more TV I watch or news in general
All the press point out there's some problem or another with the candidates and the general problem of Government being too big to adjust it's own problems, much like Big Business

http://worldnews.msn...e-americas?lite

Along with this latest news above about Obama, John Stossel had a report this evening on Fox called No, We Can't
His on camera interviews looked at how big Government is flawed and one side seems to fly in the face of the supposed facts

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:09 AM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Sunday, Apr 15 2012, 22:40)
John Stossel had a report this evening on Fox

yeah.

take that with a huge grain of salt.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:02 PM

One of his on camera interviews was with Kieth Ellison who was elected here in Minnesota, and John was referring to statistics and others he interviewed for the piece with siding facts supporting his argument, so why are you thinking he's not got anything right? Bias against Fox or other news outlets in general?

TV journalists?

Reading in Newsweek that the Republican party have distanced themselves from George Bush's 8 years in office, because for the most part, the Democrats would have more to contest and use against them in their argument.

What bothers me is they endlessly argue if the Nation would be worse with or without Obama as President, isn't the blame game damn distasteful?! Either way, there's going to be no shining Republican solution or Democratic solution

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:37 PM Edited by lil weasel, 16 April 2012 - 06:41 PM.

By the way they talk you'd think the President legislates all the laws?
What the . does the Congress do?
Well, maybe he does, what with all those 'Presidential Orders' he writes and enforces his own law.
I think POs should be reserved for the military directives only, not usurpation of civil law.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

There's a lot on the President's shoulders. Let me ask, what do you think of the public tax records reveal?

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE (lil weasel @ Monday, Apr 16 2012, 13:37)
By the way they talk you'd think the President legislates all the laws?
What the . does the Congress do?
Well, maybe he does, what with all those 'Presidential Orders' he writes and enforces his own law.
I think POs should be reserved for the military directives only, not usurpation of civil law.

Can you provide some examples of Executive Orders you believe to have gone too far? The point of an Executive Order is to order the Executive Branch to do something. The President is fully within his authority to do that.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE (lil weasel @ Monday, Apr 16 2012, 11:37)

good luck getting that changed.

the precedent of issuing executive orders or signing statements has been established and reinforced for decades now.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:07 PM

Say that again, all government employee's shoulda got one for exemption from mandatory retirement smile.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:03 AM

Watching PBS Newshour at dinner, they had two guests on discussing the case of the Secret Service and their supposed actions reflecting back on the Office and the President as it's been claimed. I can see this as accurate because the Military come under the same scrutiny for conduct abroad, and representing the US even in War time, it's not a license to do as one pleases

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:53 AM

QUOTE (lil weasel @ Monday, Apr 16 2012, 18:07)
Say that again, all government employee's shoulda got one for exemption from mandatory retirement smile.gif

Huh?

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:05 AM

Bottom line is we need smarter people running for office, REALLY SMART people, not those catering to public opinion, saying what you want to hear just to get elected. It always seems the same with every election in my mind

Chunkyman
  • Chunkyman

Foot Soldier

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:22 AM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Tuesday, Apr 17 2012, 05:05)
Bottom line is we need smarter people running for office, REALLY SMART people, not those catering to public opinion, saying what you want to hear just to get elected. It always seems the same with every election in my mind

All politicians need to cater to public opinion if they want to win. They also need a nice haircut and a bright smile.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users