Photo

Do you think TBoGT was right

23 replies to this topic
gtafreak103
  • gtafreak103

Haters gonna hate, n00bs gonna imitate

• Members

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:51 PM

I haven't been on the forums for a while, and this is my comeback topic. biggrin.gif Do you think TBoGT hit the bullseye in the fun/replayability factor?

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:10 PM Edited by Slamman, 29 December 2011 - 09:13 PM.

Some who were dismayed by the first GTA DLC and GTA plain ole vanilla, sure, I guess. I think it took you out of the realistic element, what with each mission having percentage screens for play-over gameplay. That just disrupted game play. I felt some of it still boring, some of it a nice tweak in GTA IV, but it won't compare to an entire change up in GTA V I'm expecting.

Moved this topic while editing, Thanks, Ryan!??! hahaha tounge2.gif notify.gif

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:08 PM

It had an apc, parachutes, and cage fighting. Yes it was better.

WhitValid
  • WhitValid

Thug

• Members

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:17 PM

When I finished TBOGT I went to replay a mission and turned it off 30 seconds later it was torture. IMO no replay value, I didn't like it at all.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:16 AM

Honestly TBOGT was fun, but I like GTA IV and TLAD more.

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:25 AM

The storyline is sh*t. Luis is an unlikable prick and all the characters were a pain in the ass. When Luis was like "I'd happily go to jail for you" to A and H, I was like "Seriously? You'd go to jail for these clowns?" I wouldn't go to jail for anybody.
And R* just felt like they needed to go so over the top in like every mission. Example: Luis and Tony have to follow Packie's car in a mission? What do they drive? A f*cking helicopter! If it was Vanilla, it would be car like it should be. And then you have the diamond mission in TBOGT where Luis arrives via the freaking gold heli. Obviously R* gave in to the SA fanboys, which sucks.
Call me old fashioned, but I would hate it if V turned out like TBOGT. Give me IV or TLAD any day.

MAN IN THE DARK
  • MAN IN THE DARK

WHITE

• Members

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:58 AM Edited by MAN IN THE DARK, 31 December 2011 - 06:00 AM.

In game dialoge - "This game is Gay Gay Gay Gay" Armando to Henriqe or Ray Bulgarin to Luis "I'M NOT A F*UCKING FAAAGGOT!!!!!!"

The Lost are better especially then it Damned

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:18 AM Edited by Miamivicecity, 31 December 2011 - 07:21 AM.

QUOTE (AceRay @ Saturday, Dec 31 2011, 14:25)
The storyline is sh*t. Luis is an unlikable prick and all the characters were a pain in the ass. When Luis was like "I'd happily go to jail for you" to A and H, I was like "Seriously? You'd go to jail for these clowns?" I wouldn't go to jail for anybody.
And R* just felt like they needed to go so over the top in like every mission. Example: Luis and Tony have to follow Packie's car in a mission? What do they drive? A f*cking helicopter! If it was Vanilla, it would be car like it should be. And then you have the diamond mission in TBOGT where Luis arrives via the freaking gold heli. Obviously R* gave in to the SA fanboys, which sucks.
Call me old fashioned, but I would hate it if V turned out like TBOGT. Give me IV or TLAD any day.

I feel TBOGT felt out of place due to the gritty nature of LC. I've always felt TLAD complimented GTA IV better. TBOGT's atmosphere didn't really suit LC IMO. It would be like setting a game in VC and having a dark story to go along with it.

I also didn't like the treatment of Bulgarin in TBOGT. Even though he only made a few appearances in GTA IV the appearances he did make gave an impression of a real threatening antagonist. In TBOGT R* turned him into some guitar playing douchebag? It was almost like they were two different characters.

There are some features I do like though like the cage fighting, but I think the game is mostly overrated and TLAD gets shoved under the rug too much.

MAN IN THE DARK
  • MAN IN THE DARK

WHITE

• Members

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:57 AM Edited by MAN IN THE DARK, 31 December 2011 - 08:59 AM.

I can explain. Bulgarin have a lot of similarities with Stalin if not all of them. So to the intresting part, some of men from Stalin crue come to him and ask: "Can you help me with that ?"; "Can you give my family this?". Stalin was very wise and tell them all to look around and notice that there is not that much around him that is that much diffrent from the others people cabinets and he will be lucky to help, but his own members of the family in prison, "so sorry".
In gta IV, bolgarin among his men drived the most poorest car in the game, which also belong to the lowest gang member of russian mafia Vlad glebov. Bolgarin also dress very cheap a lot like Niko, imagine how his men look at him then he ask Niko to get back his money and All that.

AceRay
  • AceRay

• Members

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Saturday, Dec 31 2011, 07:18)
QUOTE (AceRay @ Saturday, Dec 31 2011, 14:25)

I feel TBOGT felt out of place due to the gritty nature of LC. I've always felt TLAD complimented GTA IV better. TBOGT's atmosphere didn't really suit LC IMO. It would be like setting a game in VC and having a dark story to go along with it.
much.

Good points, thats something I've always liked. I think TBOGT should have shown the "high life" but have made it gritter, dirtier than it was. Kind of like the interactions with Stubbs in TLAD.

I also didn't like the treatment of Bulgarin in TBOGT. Even though he only made a few appearances in GTA IV the appearances he did make gave an impression of a real threatening antagonist. In TBOGT R* turned him into some guitar playing douchebag? It was almost like they were two different characters.

This 100%. I'm really surprised how a lot people rate him as their favorite IV era antagonist while Billy gets the "Hur Dur, he's a douche". I actually feel that Billy was a very threatening, manipulating bastard, much worse than Bulgarin. Sure, he was goofy, but he managed to manipulate Brian, Johnny, the Traids, nearly everyone in the freaking game just so he could escape to the witness protection program, and he nearly got away with it too. Much better than Bulgarin.
What exactly was wrong with Bulgarin though? In Vanilla, he trafficked people in and out of Europe. In TBOGT, he's getting bossed around by his sister and playing guitar?

There are some features I do like though like the cage fighting, but I think the game is  mostly overrated and TLAD gets shoved under the rug too

Cage fighting would have fit in well in TLAD. And there are some other things that I liked which I think should be in the next game (drug wars were fun, some more paparazzi/bodyguard side missions) but if the story is like this, then its not going to be as good.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:38 AM

I gotta agree with you guys especially with AceRay and Miamivicecity. Story in TBoGT is full of holes and was written mostly to incorporate over the top missions into the game, because SA fanboys started crying that they don't have parachutes, tanks, etc. Many characters don't fit the story (Mori, Armando, Henrique) and many were left behind (Gomez brothers or Willy Valerio). Was that a problem to change A & H to Alonso and Willy and put Oscar somewhere in Fight Club? I don't think so.

Bulgarin is bigger problem. His story arc is too farfetched for me. He makes us run thru the city doing stupid errands for him and minute after he is trying to kill us, because of diamonds. He totally doesn't listen when Luis trying to tell him what happened to the ice and blindly follows his revenge plan. TBoGT wasn't bad, because it was another GTA, but in IV era (I don't know what era V will be set in) it takes last place.

gtafreak103
  • gtafreak103

Haters gonna hate, n00bs gonna imitate

• Members

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:25 PM

I've got a question. I agree that the story was full of holes and I will list one of them.

How did Yusuf get involved in the story?

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:53 PM

QUOTE (gtafreak103 @ Saturday, Dec 31 2011, 19:25)
I've got a question. I agree that the story was full of holes and I will list one of them.

How did Yusuf get involved in the story?

From what I understood Yusuf visited Maisonette 9 one time and Tony thought that rich developer will be cure for all their problems. Yusuf kinda agreed, but they (Luis and Tony) had to help him with his problems first.

Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:55 PM

Writing TBOGT must have been a real chore. 2GB content limit for XBL DLC, only 25 missions and 4 of them have to crossover with GTA IV and TLAD, and the story has to respect the continuity of GTA IV and TLAD while also incorporating all the new gameplay features of TBOGT. That's a lot of boxes the writer has to stay within. If the rumor of GTA V having multiple protagonists is true, it could be that TBOGT taught a lesson that all the stories should be written at the same time so they can be more equally balanced.

unc13bud
  • unc13bud

Weekend Answerer

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:09 PM

I have been clubbing hard core domestically/internationally since 84. TBOGT is the best (to me), i love the drug wars just like i liked the gang wars in san andreas.

IllnessGTA
  • IllnessGTA

Wannabe killer

• Members

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:01 PM

Uh, yes, kinda. I miss GTAIV's music though. And IV had a better story (TBOGT had better missions).

EscoLehGo
  • EscoLehGo

Ya Dingus

• Members

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:07 PM

Best dlc in my opinion, I never really could get into niko and Johnny was ok but his dialogue sucked pretty bad. I enjoyed the story and gameplay, Luis was the only one of the three characters I could even begin to give a sh*t about

sonnyBlack
  • sonnyBlack

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:21 PM

I liked IV and TLAD's story better than TBOGT, but in terms of gameplay and all around fun, TBOGT was the sh*t. It's my favorite game of the IV era since it gave me more freedom and features to have fun with. It was more over the top and actiony, and in a video game I'll always favor that.

LoveMediaExecutive
  • LoveMediaExecutive

Love Media's Personal Money Launderer

• Members

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:08 PM

To be honest I'm very torn about TBOGT, while I had fun with some of the missions I feel it didn't compliment the previous two in the GTA IV trilogy well enough, granted a lot of people complained about not having the over-the-top elements of San Andreas in IV but TBOGT is the game that was supposed to close the book on that era and while it technically does but by having a more light, slightly goofy feeling it just made me feel a bit empty about the whole thing.

But on topic, I feel again mixed, as far as fun it had a lot of fun moments but I felt tried too hard to be wacky and the pace seemed off in parts due to the amount of wackyness, to me how the pace goes can have an effect on the fun, too slow and the fun drops off but too fast and the same can happen because the game is just going to fast to sit and enjoy, TBOGT toed the line on the last bit a lot but the cutscenes and storytelling broke it up just before it went well over the line. Lastly as far as replayability goes while it does have a nice replay system I felt the score system ruined it a bit, while it does add replayability to the game but it felt off-putting that everytime you completed a story mission you'd have some menu come up and tell you basically you didn't shoot enough people in the head or you shouldn't have wrecked your car so early on, it would have been better if it wasn't unlocked until you complete the main story.

cidamelo
  • cidamelo

RIP Amy WINEHOUSE!GRANT RODIEK is back to the EA GAMES!&

• Members
  • None
  • Comedian of the Year 2010

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:21 AM

I agree with you AceRay! I think they wanted to be over the top all the time! It turns out to be boring! I prefer GTA IV and The Lost And Damned... I loved TBOGT too, but I rather the gritty instead of the glamour tounge2.gif

Zee
  • Zee

Shut up, sit down, relax.

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom
  • Comedian of the Year 2011

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:33 AM

TBOGT has parachutes/cool guns so its still worth playing, but the story is the worst and weakest of all the GTA games ever made. Even gta advance.

Luis was a terrible f*cking retard, every other word out of his mouth is "bro" or "b" same thing with Armando and Henrique, two characters i constantly hoped would die during the story. but, sadly, it never happened.

GTA4 has less guns no parachutes and a foggyier city, but its story is way more bearable and niko is actually a somewhat likeable character.

cidamelo
  • cidamelo

RIP Amy WINEHOUSE!GRANT RODIEK is back to the EA GAMES!&

• Members
  • None
  • Comedian of the Year 2010

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:16 AM

lol.gif lol.gif it's true, he says BRO all the time!

AceRay
  • AceRay

• Members

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:41 AM

QUOTE (Zee @ Saturday, Jan 21 2012, 16:33)
TBOGT has parachutes/cool guns so its still worth playing, but the story is the worst and weakest of all the GTA games ever made. Even gta advance.

Luis was a terrible f*cking retard, every other word out of his mouth is "bro" or "b" same thing with Armando and Henrique, two characters i constantly hoped would die during the story. but, sadly, it never happened.

GTA4 has less guns no parachutes and a foggyier city, but its story is way more bearable and niko is actually a somewhat likeable character.

For once, I agree with Zee. He's made a great point.

Andreas915
  • Andreas915

i say things

• Members

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:23 AM

Replayability is much better in TBoGT than in TLAD. But this might just be me. I don't care that much for the biker thing and like glitzy clubs and stealing trains with skycranes.

If i were to go nuts and whished to start shooting guns in the middle of Liberty City, I would pick TBoGT, because of more effective guns (the one with explosive rounds). Mayhem, if desirable, will be executed more efficiently in TBoGT - that is what I think.

In my case, the replayability factor depends on the overall ambiance. Nightclub scene is an interesting part of the real NYC, which why all of the fanciness suits me better than riding a bike.

I liked TLAD story very much - it was fresh for me (I don't watch Sons of Anarchy), but I didn't find as much joy in redoing the missions or just messing about after story missions in TLAD, than I did in TBoGT.

The grittyness is an ok argument. But you can be gritty with neon and cheery music (Dexter, first episode). So my choice is TBoGT for its feeling (like Vice City, I might add. I will always like that game the best, nothing you can do about that...)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users