Photo

Is GTA appropriate for kids?

46 replies to this topic
Funky_Donkey_BG
  • Funky_Donkey_BG

-AWESOME-

• Members

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:43 AM

I want you guys' opinion- is it appropriate to give a GTA game to a child? I have been playing GTA since I was 5 (GTA 2 man those were the days,Kindergarten and stealing cars) and I'm a pretty normal guy, so when my father told me that my step brother asked him to get him a game named GTA I got him a San Andreas DVD. For me it's perfectly normal, but I want to hear someone else's opinion.

Chaise
  • Chaise

Packers Fan.

• Members

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:12 AM

As long as the kid is mature enough to play it then sure.

I see nothing wrong with letting a 10 year old play GTA if he is mature enough.

But I do think anybody below 8 shoudn't play GTA, just because they probably wouldn't even understand the game so what's the point of letting them play it you know.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:38 AM

That sounds about right, I was playing gta III when i was around 10, i knew fully well it was a game, and it was just pure fun, pretty sure i have seen 5-6 year olds (friends little bro's and such) playing with their older brothers, and they too understand its just a game.

Really this applies to any game not just GTA.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Bernd das Bumpy Brot

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:42 PM

ive been playing the first gta since it came out when i was 7. i didnt get any of the crude references 'till gta vice city came out smile.gif

dansgas1000
  • dansgas1000

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:01 PM Edited by dansgas1000, 22 April 2012 - 09:40 AM.

About about 90% of kids aged 10-16 play COD, Just sayin :S

Infact people who are like 5 play COD

Funky_Donkey_BG
  • Funky_Donkey_BG

-AWESOME-

• Members

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:20 PM

I forgot to specify his age- he is 6. But the bad language won't influence him in any way I guess- he doesn't speak English. I'm just not sure if he's old enough for GTA. Hell,he's better at Super Mario than me.

kmlwin.1996
  • kmlwin.1996

Hold up

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:28 PM

It doesn't matter how old the player is. It is matter when that person is crazy about GTA and do same thing in real life.

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:10 PM

I wouldn't consider it appropriate but there's nothing stopping you.

Dingleman
  • Dingleman

SA:LC Mod Leader

• Members

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:46 PM

I played GTA3 at age 6.

To be perfectly honest, I couldn't have given any less of a crap about the violence and storyline. With the creativity I had at that age, all I was drawn in to was the idea of the open world.

I say it just takes a little initiative. If you know the kid has a firm grasp around what is right and wrong then by all means let him play.

iGrandTheftAuto
  • iGrandTheftAuto

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:49 PM

With drug abuse, prostitution, murder, and gangs.. etc. I would say there would have to be an age limit. I think it would be appropriate for maybe a 13 or 14 year old but deffinetly not any younger.

Zee
  • Zee

Shut up, sit down, relax.

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom
  • Comedian of the Year 2011

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:02 AM

I played it starting aged 11 and look at me, Im a perfectly adjusted individual.

TrialzGTAS
  • TrialzGTAS

Hopes for turnout gear in V!

• Members

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:31 PM

I got GTA III the summer after it came out. I was 6 years olds and I am a pretty normal dude =]

GrandTheftAuto101
  • GrandTheftAuto101

Peon

• Members

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE (Zee @ Thursday, Jan 5 2012, 03:02)
I played it starting aged 11 and look at me, Im a perfectly adjusted individual.

Well, it made you have no life by posting all day.

Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (Chaise @ Thursday, Dec 29 2011, 10:12)
As long as the kid is mature enough to play it then sure.

I see nothing wrong with letting a 10 year old play GTA if he is mature enough.

But I do think anybody below 8 shoudn't play GTA, just because they probably wouldn't even understand the game so what's the point of letting them play it you know.

my 3 year old nephew plays GTA IV.

majorhawke
  • majorhawke

The living-dead Kennedy's

• Members

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:52 AM

Does the pope sh*t in the woods?

Matty
  • Matty

Wiseguy

• Australia

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:10 AM

Just so long as the person is mature enough to understand that what is happening in the game isn't real; which by the way when I say that - I refer to all age groups and not just kids (because I am sure there would be a fair share of adults who wouldn't be mature enough to handle a game like Grand Theft Auto), then I think letting a kid play Grand Theft Auto is fine in my opinion. I first played the original Grand Theft Auto when I was 8, I was playing GTA: Vice City when I was around 9-10 and I was playing GTA: San Andreas when I was around 11-12.

bluesboyjr
  • bluesboyjr

Founder of the Zee Memorial Foundation

• Members

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:07 AM

My first GTA was GTA 2 when I was about nine, and I've never murdered anyone. Nope, never.

I don't see too much wrong with a kid playing GTA, provided there's an adult supervising them to put things into context (if they're too young to have seen and heard the crap you get in GTAs on TV already). It's probably better to get GTA San Andreas or an earlier game, seeing as GTA SA only uses the C word once, while GTA IV throws out "The world is a c*nt!" left right and centre. It's a weird society we live in where it's considered worse to expose a kid to bad language than to indiscriminate violence, but whatever.

SmC12
  • SmC12

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:32 PM Edited by SmC12, 11 January 2012 - 05:36 PM.

It's as appropriate for kids as anything they watch on TV.

People who claim violent games are harmful and cause children to grow up as criminals are talking out their ass. Scietific evidence suggests agressive behaviour does not come from playing violent games, sure they affect emotions and thoughts but that's just the result of being immersed in the experience. Anyone who plays GTA and then kills someone had problems before they even played the game. Parents and peer groups are more infulencing on behaviour than any video game could be. It's pretty obvious that rating a game 18 has little to no effect on reducing the number of younger people playing it. Its just a bunch of legal bullsh*t that nobody really cares about.

I played GTA when I was maybe around 8, I had an older friend who played San Andreas and Vice City alot, and I was just amazed watching the game. Not because of any of the crime or adult content, but it was just so amazing and exciting for an 8 year old to play. And of course as I grew up I became familiar with the content in GTA and I loved it even more! If you have common sense and a brain, GTA is harmless.

@above: I think San Andreas had much worse language, the constant use of "nigga", "bitch", "Motherf*cker" and constant drug and gang references. GTA IV's language was nowhere near as bad as SA.

gongnongjie
  • gongnongjie

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:24 AM

I think the kids can play this game.I played it this year and I'm 13 years old now.I think it's not Deterioration of the child.

Buffalo Soldier
  • Buffalo Soldier

The Man Himself.

• Members

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:42 PM

I've been playing GTA since I was about 8, and it never did me or my friends any harm at all.
It all depends on the person playing it and the mental stability of them.

AndrewDeSanta
  • AndrewDeSanta

Republitarian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:47 PM

I'm gonna put it out there.
I've been playing GTA since i was 5 and there is nothing wrong with me and I understood most things mentioned in the games mostly because I was and still am into the mafia, wars, gangs, guns etc. So no I don't think there is a problem with a kid playing GTA as long as he/she is mature enough.

NikoBellicLovesHotpockets
  • NikoBellicLovesHotpockets

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:37 AM

I've been playing the games since I was 6. I didn't understand them back then of course, but they haven't affected me that much. I like to think of myself of a calm and somewhat intellectual person.

I've written many papers about this topic though. And to me it seems it isn't the game that is the problem, it's the person who is playing it and their mental stability. It seems that kids who grow up in hectic families and play games as violent as GTA seem to take that all in much more than calmer kids do. People make the argument that video games cause deaths and such but to me that's just weak humans trying to blame violence on yet another form of media. It's just simply dumb.

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:50 PM Edited by spaceeinstein, 30 January 2012 - 04:53 PM.

I don't think maturity factors into this at all. Mature kids wouldn't use their time in front of their TVs/monitors wasting their time away playing games. Mature kids would be doing their homeworks and help their parents around the house. The way I think of this, it's the sensitivity of the kids that is the major factor. Those who are sensitive do not copy violent games because seeing someone else hurt also hurts them. They play violent games not for the violence but for the escape of reality. Those who are insensitive do not care for other people, and tend to learn from violent games instead. Whatever looks cool to them, they learn from it even if it's useless to them in society, maybe harmful at worse.

Example: I've been occasionally looking at Yahoo! Answers, looking to see if there are common questions not answered in the wiki. I have seen some answers to questions from young kids, at the end of their answers, saying Grove Street for Life. I know it's harmless saying that, but how useful it is to show your loyalty to Grove Street Families in real life? Why did these kids learn to say that? I doubt mature kids would feel loyalty to an in-game gang of criminals. Extrapolate this to worse actions like killing by an extremely unstable and insensitive kid.

If a game has a negative effect on your life (is Zee still criticizing R*?), then the game had been inappropriate for you at the age you started playing it. Mental instability is at the extreme but they shouldn't be the only ones who shouldn't play these kinds of games.

copperrobber
  • copperrobber

My idol is Sam Houser

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:05 PM

i played GTA:san andreas when i was 9 ! though i didnt went around and killed people ack then, i cheated and sh*t biggrin.gif

senor_huevos_benedicto
  • senor_huevos_benedicto

Tell your friends. Tell your neighbours. Tell Randy Gonzales.

• Members

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:44 PM

Played San Andreas when I was 10.

Haven't jacked a car so far!

Allen14n
  • Allen14n

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:48 PM Edited by Allen14n, 31 January 2012 - 05:10 PM.

All kids are different. They have different levels of maturity. I wanted Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas the time it first came out, when I was nine and ten (two ages because I turned ten in 2005). I was in fourth grade. I can still remember all the hype revolving around that game. I was reading PSM, a PlayStation magazine, and I got really excited about it. I didn't know at all what sex was at the time, but I know it involved inappropriate stuff.

The main reason I wasn't allowed to get that game was because of the sexual content, which is optional in Grand Theft Auto games. I remember really wishing I had Grand Theft Auto IV when I was in eighth grade. I was thirteen and fourteen in eighth grade. This was during the 2008-2009 school year. I didn't get any Grand Theft Auto game until my freshman year of high school, however. That was when I got Grand Theft Auto IV. I was fourteen, and it was either before or during the holiday break. I was so happy. It was certainly worth the wait.

If you're going to give a kid a Grand Theft Auto game, make sure he or she is actually mature enough for it.

xXGst0395Xx
  • xXGst0395Xx

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:27 PM

I was 7 the first time I played a GTA game, but it wasn't until I was 14 when my parents felt I was mature enough to have possession of them.

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

EZ5

• United-States

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:19 PM

It seems like a good 90% of you are missing the point. The rating of M+17 is meant to control your kids from seeing of hearing the content period. Not about them playing it growing up and shooting people in anger or being a boltless dipsh*t.

Personally I don't subject that stuff to the kiddos. They enjoy kid friendly stuff better I imagine anyways. There's always that silly argument they see it on movies and TV, that's bullsh*t. If you're a parent you should monitor what movies and TV they watch as well as it's part of being a parent.

CheesyJ
  • CheesyJ

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:29 AM

It depends to be honest. I went around and did free roam stuff in the game when I was still very young, and it hasn't done me any harm at all.

To be honest though, I think it's better that the missions and storyline stuff are better left alone at the very young ages the OP talks about. Not only will the child playing not fully understand it, but they will also have to see a lot of content that's not really suitable for them at that age, compared to the free roam which is generally not as bad because it's just random gore.

King Mystery
  • King Mystery

Playa

• Members

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:24 PM Edited by King Mystery, 06 March 2012 - 07:27 PM.

I think it depends on how old the kid is. They need to understand that this type of violence is unacceptable in real life, and that it's simply a game.
I started playing the GTA series when I was fairly young, maybe 10 or 11, but at the time I had already pretty much lost most of my innocence so it was really nothing new to me.

However, if the child is significantly younger and more innocent (about 7 or so and under), then I don't think GTA is a very appropriate game for them. Stick to Sesame Street, kids.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users