Photo

Rage Madness

9 replies to this topic
ZZCOOL
  • ZZCOOL

http://www.youtube.com/user/taltigolt

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:41 PM Edited by zzcool, 28 December 2011 - 02:38 PM.

(to moderators this involves converting from another game but from my understanding you allow these kinds of threads as long as no download links are provided but progress can be shown)

midtown madness 2 is a old childhood game of mine the game i first learned to mod it so it holds a big place in my heart

so my idea is to convert the entire midtown madness 2 map (possible both which is london and san fransisco) to the rage engine

since both the maps sf and londo are fairly small they should be able to fit together just that they have to be far apart to maintain reality

what i obviously need for this is help if anyone can help me converting the maps to rage

i would also like to know if anyone things this is a good idea

this is what midtown madness 2 is

user posted image

user posted image

i bet im not the only one here who has played the game and loved it

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

OG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:20 AM Edited by nkjellman, 02 January 2012 - 02:35 AM.

Nope, your not the only one. I played on this too about 10 years ago. But you should also try and do Chicago from the first one. The fact the first one had my home town in it, was what got me playing. I'm not sure if the admin's will care about this game because it is an old game.

When I did EFLC Map Updates to IV, the mod got banned on GTAF. Even though I didnt give any links on GTAF, it still got banned when I released it on a site that doesnt care. However I do belive that working on the mod helped out the map modders in a way. I did it file by file. Its how we descovered MLO and how its generaly loaded. The mod was done back when map mods had the cull where the camra would go through it and would turn off sometimes.

But anyways, I hope the mod idea comes true. That game was the game alot of PC modder's modded on before GTA III came out on PC. If you look at the mods there are alot of things you can see that kinda relates to GTA modding.

ZZCOOL
  • ZZCOOL

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE (nkjellman @ Monday, Jan 2 2012, 02:20)
Nope, your not the only one. I played on this too about 10 years ago. But you should also try and do Chicago from the first one. The fact the first one had my home town in it, was what got me playing. I'm not sure if the admin's will care about this game because it is an old game.

When I did EFLC Map Updates to IV, the mod got banned on GTAF. Even though I didnt give any links on GTAF, it still got banned when I released it on a site that doesnt care. However I do belive that working on the mod helped out the map modders in a way. I did it file by file. Its how we descovered MLO and how its generaly loaded. The mod was done back when map mods had the cull where the camra would go through it and would turn off sometimes.

But anyways, I hope the mod idea comes true. That game was the game alot of PC modder's modded on before GTA III came out on PC. If you look at the mods there are alot of things you can see that kinda relates to GTA modding.

i posted a topic on this on mmc forum and this was their response

Particular question, but the reply is simply no, it's not possible. In past someone succeeded to get MM2 SF city 3D model in ZModeler 1, but it was just the landscape in low polygons without buildings and all the objects. MM2 uses the DirectX 7 for its engine, so isn't neither possible do the ripping with 3D Ripper DX program, because this version of these graphic libraries isn't supported by it.
MM2 cities are in low polygons and in a so low quality that would look bad in modern games and graphic engines.

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

R.I.P.ingPang

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:14 PM

You'd probably be better-off getting top-down images of the MM maps and re-modeling them using new textures so the map is in III/VC/SA/IV quality but has the same road layout and building design as the original.
It was a game on ps1-era hardware so the map shouldn't be too large to re-create. smile.gif

What modding skills do you possess zzcool?

You gonna do this?

ZZCOOL
  • ZZCOOL

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE (Frank.s @ Tuesday, Jan 3 2012, 18:14)
You'd probably be better-off getting top-down images of the MM maps and re-modeling them using new textures so the map is in III/VC/SA/IV quality but has the same road layout and building design as the original.
It was a game on ps1-era hardware so the map shouldn't be too large to re-create. smile.gif

What modding skills do you possess zzcool?

You gonna do this?

absolutely none

and no i wanetd a friend to help me

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

OG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:44 AM

Hate to bring you down about this, but GTA III erra models don't look right in IV. They sorta do, but there are some like the hills in IV:SA don't look right because RAGE is for higher poly models. The III erra games were from the PS2, Xbox erra. IV is designed for the PS3, Xbox 360 erra. (I didnt include Nintendo devices or handhelds because their behind a generation.) However Midtown Madness will look horable in GTA IV's game engine. If you want Midtown Madness maps in GTA, I would put them in GTA SA. You have the ame amount of map space to work with as IV and EFLC. At least Midtown Madness 1 and Midtown Madness 2 were PC exclusive so the graphics are alittle closer to the PS2, Xbox erra. I would say to remodel the maps, but as you said you don't have much knowlage on modding.

But please for the love of god don't convert the cars. I can probaly count the ammount of pollys they have on one hand. If you port it to GTA SA, that is not going to look right. Now if you port them to GTA IV, then they will look like toltal sh*t. I don't even want to see what they would look like. It would almost be as horrifying as the opining cut sene for Politics in TLAD.

Besides the drivable cars, if you port the traffic cars from MM, I won't know what to say. I also won't know what to say if you replace the high poly Niko with one of the MM peds. Gee. lol.

aaro4130
  • aaro4130

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:49 PM

This topic is extremely old, but I just found it, and I am someone who knows the city format inside-out. Also making a Unity version of MM2 ;)

1959688_644757412244455_1668714529_n.jpg

the terrain loader... Uh, it's approaching 1000 lines of code and there's no tunnels or walls even yet. Divided roads are in correct too .

1912209_644480338938829_1208201392_n.jpg

You could maybe rip it from this once I release it?

• Frank.s and Ss4gogeta0 like this

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

R.I.P.ingPang

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:00 PM Edited by Frank.s, 12 March 2014 - 09:08 PM.

Cheers for that. Both your game and the map seem really good (for what it is ofc im not putting it on par with V lol ). Could you export that map as an fbx file and upload it with a link pasted here? I'll export the map straight into GTAIV and make some handling.dat edits. Then upload that for anyone who's interested. :devil:

Edit, i meant binary FBX 2006. It works on both 3dsmax 2012 and 3dsmax 9 so that's something i know will work.

What issues are you having with the map and what is the likelyhood of it being bug-free?

y0cm4.jpg

• Ss4gogeta0 likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:11 PM

what i obviously need for this is help if anyone can help me converting the maps to rage

By "help", do you mean "help you learn how to convert maps", or "help" as in "convert this for me while I put my feet up"?

aaro4130
  • aaro4130

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:02 AM Edited by aaro4130, 13 March 2014 - 12:05 AM.

He means the first one, Maps are in PSDL format (Processed Scene Description Language), and are done as if they're templates.

A block has a list of attributes,

Say an attribute for a building:

int16 leftVertexIndex

int16 rightVertexIndex

int16 uTile

int16 vtile

int16 heightRef

A building is created with the left and right vertexes, then the left and right vertexes again with the Y coordinate substituted as the heightRef, and then tiled with utile and vtile, Needless to say it's an EXTREMELY complicated format. I cannot export it as FBX because I'm loading it in Unity, I'd have to rip it and it is not complete yet, We still need walls, railing, tunnels, and divided roads.

As well I need to read the .INST files because they contain some of the buildings in the map. (Actually a lot) . As well as a bunch of props.

The PATHSET file does the same thing, it does props

• Frank.s likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users