Suggestion for what kind of new car

78 replies to this topic
Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:36 AM

Thing I learned buying about 6 old cars in all, check the valve-cover oil filler cap. The first thing besides any leaks under the car, as well as door jambs for body rust hidden from line of sight... If the valve cover oil residue is white or off-color, you have some engine issues I'd say!

Illousion
  • Illousion

Over the hills and far away

• The Connection

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Tuesday, Jan 3 2012, 08:36)
Thing I learned buying about 6 old cars in all, check the valve-cover oil filler cap. The first thing besides any leaks under the car, as well as door jambs for body rust hidden from line of sight...  If the valve cover oil residue is white or off-color, you have some engine issues I'd say!

That's a good one Slamman. Here's what a buddy's filler cap looked like underneath.
user posted image

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:49 PM

Daamn, is that the oil filler cap or coolant cap? Head gasket failure?

Illousion
  • Illousion

Over the hills and far away

• The Connection

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE (epoxi @ Tuesday, Jan 3 2012, 13:49)
Daamn, is that the oil filler cap or coolant cap? Head gasket failure?

Oil filler cap. And yeah, if that was the only failure with his engine. lol.gif

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:29 AM

I'm bumping this thread.

Why? Because I started it, and I hate to say that it is once again relevant.

My 1998 VW Golf with under 40k miles on it is sitting in the Gray's Ferry Path Mark parking lot...dead.

Talk about a suck ass day. The car was loaded with sh*t from our regular [every other] Saturday morning shopping. Pet supply store, Bulk story, Home store(Home Depot), and the last stop is/was the grocery story.

I managed to jump it but while sitting there it died...Jumped it again and it died quicker than the first time. It wasn't going to make it home.

Even though this thread started as me taking suggestions for a new car, the decisions has been made. If my car doesn't get towed I'm going to have my mechanic tow it on Monday and do the minimum it will take to drive it to a dealer. No matter what - next weekend I should be in a 2012 VW Golf.

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO
  • Best Contributor [Vehicles] 2012

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:39 AM

You should have let me drive it to go get murdoc in.

Rest in pieces Golfo. sad.gif

user posted image

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:00 AM

Holy sh*t...you took a pic of my car? cracks me up,

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:01 AM

I took 2!

user posted image
user posted image

This car makes me think that instead of walking, riding a bike, or taking the bus/train/tram, perhaps we should instead all drive to our destinations, or else our cars will turn to sh*t from lack of use.

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE (Lurch @ Sunday, Aug 5 2012, 08:01)
This car makes me think that instead of walking, riding a bike, or taking the bus/train/tram, perhaps we should instead all drive to our destinations, or else our cars will turn to sh*t from lack of use.

As someone who grew up with a 2 hour each way commute on public transport, I second this strongly.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE (epoxi @ Sunday, Aug 5 2012, 06:58)
QUOTE (Lurch @ Sunday, Aug 5 2012, 08:01)

As someone who grew up with a 2 hour each way commute on public transport, I second this strongly.

As someone who spent years driving around the country for my livelihood - I'm happy to not have to drive myself anywhere. My public transit commute to work is almost too short(about 20mins) - I would almost enjoy a two hour commute on the trolley. I would be able to get stuff done. Currently I'm lucky if I get to hear 3 songs on my mp3 player and squeeze in a few games of solitaire on the phone.

If I didn't have pets I would consider going back to not owning a car.

This is the gay ,way too earth friendly, hybrid car I had to use yesterday(via my zipcar account).
Honda Insight
user posted image

It has this stupid feature called 'auto stop'. When you come to a complete stop the engine shuts off. Basically it felt like the car stalled out at every light...but the worst part is I live in a city with a lot of stopping at traffic lights and stuff. When it is 100f outside you kind of want your air conditioner to be fully functioning, and not blow hot air on you as you wait for a traffic light to turn green.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE (trip @ Sunday, Aug 5 2012, 14:25)
It has this stupid feature called 'auto stop'. When you come to a complete stop the engine shuts off. Basically it felt like the car stalled out at every light...but the worst part is I live in a city with a lot of stopping at traffic lights and stuff. When it is 100f outside you kind of want your air conditioner to be fully functioning, and not blow hot air on you as you wait for a traffic light to turn green.

I've experienced that once too, I had a rental Tiguan for a short jaunt down to Cornwall and it had that auto-stop function and it sucked. Especially when you the light turns green and theres that lag and you suddenly shoot off due to having your foot on the pedal wondering why it won't go.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE (Outcast @ Sunday, Aug 5 2012, 10:32)
QUOTE (trip @ Sunday, Aug 5 2012, 14:25)
It has this stupid feature called 'auto stop'.  When you come to a complete stop the engine shuts off.  Basically it felt like the car stalled out at every light...but the worst part is I live in a city with a lot of stopping at traffic lights and stuff.  When it is 100f outside you kind of want your air conditioner to be fully functioning, and not blow hot air on you as you wait for a traffic light to turn green.

I've experienced that once too, I had a rental Tiguan for a short jaunt down to Cornwall and it had that auto-stop function and it sucked. Especially when you the light turns green and theres that lag and you suddenly shoot off due to having your foot on the pedal wondering why it won't go.

Totally. And the car just generally had no power to it to begin with. Toss in the fact that I don't drive automatics and it just all around sucked.

Normally when I have to use zipcar I take the Mini or Mazda 3 from up the street, but yesterday was an emergency and I had to take the only one available to me that was in walking distance from the house.

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:52 PM

That car would not go well with my beer-drinking, hell-raising outlaw lifestyle.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:15 PM

Well....I just left work early to hop on my bike and check on my dead car. It's not like you can just leave a car in a parking lot around here without something happening - usually an expensive tow(heck, they even made a tv show on how aggressive our tow companies are), or just have all of your windows broken so some crack head can get your lose change.

Good news - the car is still there untouched.

Called my tow guy and it should be out of there and at my mechanic's place soon.

Also got my pre-approved loan for my new car today. Already picked out my new black, VW golf 2.0L, two door hatchback.

sh*t like this just sucks and makes me regret becoming an adult.

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE (trip @ Monday, Aug 6 2012, 17:15)
... usually an expensive tow(heck, they even made a tv show on how aggressive our tow companies are)...

Haha, I think I have actually seen this show.

But I didn't watch it for long because it felt like I was watching a cruel snuff film lol. confused.gif

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:38 PM

You'd think my car would have been towed or up on blocks with smashed windows after having been abandoned in a parking lot in a not so friendly part of town for a solid week now. But surprise surprise - it's still there. I just stopped by to check on it and grab anything that I care about.

I was going to go today and get my new car, but I realized that would be a stupid move. I'm going to wait it out until September when I can get a new 2012 for cheap. I just hope I don't have to hunt too hard for a black 2 door manual Golf.

Thank goodness for Zip car. I took the Mini today for a few hours.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:39 PM

Bump...

August 4th was the day my car died in the parking lot. Today is September 12th and I just now had it towed to my mechanic. It wasn't the nicest part of town and I am totally impressed that the car hadn't been touched during the moth+ long stay in the parking lot.

I've decided to give the car one more chance. Mainly because I really don't feel like taking on a monthly car loan.

Carlover325
  • Carlover325

Playa

• Members

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:27 AM

QUOTE (trip @ Wednesday, Sep 12 2012, 09:39)
Bump...

August 4th was the day my car died in the parking lot. Today is September 12th and I just now had it towed to my mechanic. It wasn't the nicest part of town and I am totally impressed that the car hadn't been touched during the moth+ long stay in the parking lot.

I've decided to give the car one more chance. Mainly because I really don't feel like taking on a monthly car loan.

A well-maintained car is a happy car. Get the car running correctly. Then take care of it, and it will take care of you.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (Carlover325 @ Wednesday, Sep 19 2012, 04:27)
A well-maintained car is a happy car. Get the car running correctly. Then take care of it, and it will take care of you.

I hear ya...and I know.

My car story is kind of long but the short story is: I bought the car I have now to replace a cool car I had. Since it isn't as cool as my previous cool car I didn't* have the same love for it I guess. *I say didn't because that was a long time ago. Don't get me wrong - I love my little trooper of a car.

I got my car back today. I haven't been in it since sometime in August - almost forgot how to drive it.

I'm going to do her right and treat her with more respect from here on out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users