What is the best horror game?

35 replies to this topic
Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:05 AM

i used to play silent hill on ps1 and ps2, it was cool, others like project zero etc....

im thinking of buying another horror game, so what is the best one for ps3? i havent played one in so long, is silent hill any good?
amnesia?

youtube gameplay videos dont really give me a clear view of what the games are like. any help?

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:14 AM Edited by GTA-King, 22 December 2011 - 01:23 AM.

Dead Space 1 or 2... without a doubt.

Play by yourself, in the dark to get the full effect. And be prepared to sh*t yourself. icon14.gif

Oh, and the newest Silent Hill is more action then it is scary. Wait for Silent Hill Downpour which comes out next year. Supposed to be really good!

valensim
  • valensim

Red Dead Undead

• Members

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:14 AM

Dead Space and Dead Space 2 ??? One of the best Horror Games this days for me.

Doom 3 and Doom 3: Resurrection Of Evil, oh damn, u have a PlayStation 3 turn.gif

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:07 AM

QUOTE (GTA-King @ Thursday, Dec 22 2011, 01:14)

The trouble with Dead Space's scare factor is that you're a walking tank. Isaac isn't vulnerable enough for me to be scared, cause I know I can blast through them all really quickly.

Great games though

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:14 AM

QUOTE (AceRay @ Thursday, Dec 22 2011, 02:07)
QUOTE (GTA-King @ Thursday, Dec 22 2011, 01:14)

The trouble with Dead Space's scare factor is that you're a walking tank. Isaac isn't vulnerable enough for me to be scared, cause I know I can blast through them all really quickly.

Great games though

The second Dead Space is better than the first in that it doesn't completely rely on jump scares. The ending of Dead Space 2 if you mess up is awesome.

There aren't any "real" horror games anymore. confused.gif

LuisBellic
  • LuisBellic

8 Balls

• Members

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:48 AM

The Suffering. I played it at a sleepover when I was 8 and it scared the sh*t outta me.

AreXi
  • AreXi

Quack Quack

• Zaibatsu

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:19 AM

Dead Space? Bwahah!

Silent Hill, Penumbra Overture/Black Plague or Amnesia: The Dark Descent. You know what I'm talking about wink.gif

Menaced
  • Menaced

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:33 AM

My all-time favourite would be the 2008 PlayStation 3 exclusive title "Siren: Blood Curse".

An absolute gem of a horror game which is often overlooked by most. It's a Japanese survival horror, where you play as several different characters trying to escape a village in Japan which has been taken over by Shibito (zombie-like people, the world apparently means "corpse people" in Japanese). The atmosphere in the game is spine-chilling. In one of the scariest levels, you play as a little girl trying to escape a darkened, abandoned hospital riddled with shibito, and your only defence is to run and hide. You are given access to melee weapons throughout the game, but they're usually ineffective at taking down the shibito, and so using stealth is the only way to escape. The game heavily emphasises on the use of stealth. The shibito are just as able as you are, meaning they can use weapons as well. In the first level of the game you get chased by a shibito Police Officer who has a gun and knows how to use it, and so all you can do is run and hide in whatever you can find and pray you don't get caught. I remember running away from him and hiding in a cabinet in an empty shack nearby, and then seeing him follow me in and stand in front of the cabinet as if he knew I was there, but much to my relief he walked off. It was a very intense moment.

The guy in this review summed the game up perfectly, I'd say:

It is definitely worth a look if you're a fan of Japanese horror and the survival horror genre. The game is dirt cheap, but the disc version is only available in Europe and Japan for some strange reason. Everybody else has to download it from the PlayStation Store.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:00 PM

Penumbra Overture/Black Plague or Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

This basically.

I also loved Obscure and Sanitarium.\

Also the above game looks cool, but that might just be the reviewers influence.

Menaced
  • Menaced

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE (Fireman @ Thursday, Dec 22 2011, 13:00)
Also the above game looks cool, but that might just be the reviewers influence.

Well, having played the game myself, I can testify that what the reviewer said in his review was mostly true. wink.gif

Padmasana
  • Padmasana

say wha?

• The Connection

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE (AreXi @ Thursday, Dec 22 2011, 10:19)
Penumbra Overture/Black Plague or Amnesia: The Dark Descent. You know what I'm talking about wink.gif

Oh, f*cking yes. This all the way.

Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:22 PM Edited by Cosmic Gypsy, 22 December 2011 - 03:34 PM.

QUOTE (Menaced @ Thursday, Dec 22 2011, 10:33)
My all-time favourite would be the 2008 PlayStation 3 exclusive title "Siren: Blood Curse".

An absolute gem of a horror game which is often overlooked by most. It's a Japanese survival horror, where you play as several different characters trying to escape a village in Japan which has been taken over by Shibito (zombie-like people, the world apparently means "corpse people" in Japanese). The atmosphere in the game is spine-chilling. In one of the scariest levels, you play as a little girl trying to escape a darkened, abandoned hospital riddled with shibito, and your only defence is to run and hide. You are given access to melee weapons throughout the game, but they're usually ineffective at taking down the shibito, and so using stealth is the only way to escape. The game heavily emphasises on the use of stealth. The shibito are just as able as you are, meaning they can use weapons as well. In the first level of the game you get chased by a shibito Police Officer who has a gun and knows how to use it, and so all you can do is run and hide in whatever you can find and pray you don't get caught. I remember running away from him and hiding in a cabinet in an empty shack nearby, and then seeing him follow me in and stand in front of the cabinet as if he knew I was there, but much to my relief he walked off. It was a very intense moment.

The guy in this review summed the game up perfectly, I'd say:

It is definitely worth a look if you're a fan of Japanese horror and the survival horror genre. The game is dirt cheap, but the disc version is only available in Europe and Japan for some strange reason. Everybody else has to download it from the PlayStation Store.

wow, sounds like everything Dead Island should have been, thanks, ill look into this

EDIT : i still have a soft spot for Silent Hill... has this series gone down hill since the good old days of ps1? or is it still horror and not actiony?

Guns N R0se
  • Guns N R0se

King of the Mountain

• Members

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:02 PM

The Ravenholm level of HL2... I wish they'd make a full game of that tounge2.gif

d0mm2k8
  • d0mm2k8

ad infinitum

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:05 PM

The second Dead Space didn't scare me in the slightest. The first one terrified me but the second was just all action for me. Kinda like the first and second Alien films.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:16 PM

That's a f*cked up game, not necessarily scary but creepy and kinda funny. Phantasmagoria is the same style and pretty scary.

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream is another one of those weird creepy games which freaks you out because you spend too much timing thinking about what the f*ck was going on when you're in bed later that night.

Here is a list of mindf*ck games.

Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE (Fireman @ Thursday, Dec 22 2011, 17:16)
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream is another one of those weird creepy games which freaks you out because you spend too much timing thinking about what the f*ck was going on when you're in bed later that night.

LOLOL sounds like id LOVE these games. cheers for the list!!

link takes me to a wikia page, it has nothing on it and says i should ass some content sad.gif

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

<Chris Force Five

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE (d0mm2k8 @ Thursday, Dec 22 2011, 11:05)
The second Dead Space didn't scare me in the slightest. The first one terrified me but the second was just all action for me. Kinda like the first and second Alien films.

This.

Dead Space is sort of claustrophobic (much like Alien) as you spend 90% of the game on board the Ishimura, a very large ship that has been plagued by an outbreak turning humans into zombie-ish/alien mutations, called "necromorphs". There are also plenty of other alien creatures in the game as well. This game scared the everlasting sh*t out of me.

Dead Space 2 was a bit more action oriented (much like Aliens), as it's set three years later on a space station built on Titan, Saturn's largest moon. The outbreak has now spread to this colony - which is full of just regular citizens and whatnot as opposed to just workers on the Ishimura, so you'll find yourself pitted up against necromorphs that are actual children, along with baby necromorphs and other new monsters. And it's not as claustrophobic as the first game; there are many times where you find yourself out in space itself, using your suit to glide around (think of Iron Man's suit without the built-in weapons). One of this year's best games in my honest opinion.

I highly recommend playing the first one before the second. You can pick it up for twenty bucks now. Hell, even the prequel game released for the Wii and PS3 was good (Dead Space: Extraction). Play it at night with all of your lights off and your volume cranked way up. You will get freaked out.

Supreme.
  • Supreme.

• Members

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:10 PM

System Shock 2 icon14.gif

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE (Cosmic Gypsy @ Thursday, Dec 22 2011, 17:37)
QUOTE (Fireman @ Thursday, Dec 22 2011, 17:16)

LOLOL sounds like id LOVE these games. cheers for the list!!

link takes me to a wikia page, it has nothing on it and says i should ass some content sad.gif

If you I suggest you start off with Sanitarium, I've been making a playthrough for it, but it's much better if you play it yourself.

You can get it on GOG.com for like 9,99 dollaz.

http://vsrecommended.....or_&_Mindf*ck

Does this work for you?

Snake Without a Tongue
  • Snake Without a Tongue

Franklin Shot Tupac

• Members

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:09 AM

QUOTE (Supreme. @ Thursday, Dec 22 2011, 18:10)
System Shock 2 icon14.gif

Funny story about System Shock 2. There was that part early on where the "zombie" tries to convince you to let him out of the locked compartment before his voice goes all freaky. Fell for it first time I played. Flash forward to BioShock, the first Houdini Splicer does the same thing, fell for it again. Scared the crap out of me both times.

I suck at horror games. I embarrassed the hell out of myself playing Aliens vs Predator in front of my friends. The xenomorphs scared me.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent was good. Inspired a lot of nightmares for me. Silent Hill 2 is still classically the best.

DP Man
  • DP Man

GH3O ▲SS

• Members

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:50 AM

mine was rdr dead nightmare, i was scared biggrin.gif confused.gif cool.gif

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:16 AM

QUOTE (GTA-King @ Thursday, Dec 22 2011, 11:44)

Play by yourself, in the dark to get the full effect. And be prepared to sh*t yourself. icon14.gif

Oh, and the newest Silent Hill is more action then it is scary. Wait for Silent Hill Downpour which comes out next year. Supposed to be really good!

Agreed! I enjoyed the Silent Hill series the only thing stopping me for playing past Silent Hill 4 is their availability on pc.

ccrogers15
  • ccrogers15

REQUESTED BAN

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:50 PM

Wanna scary game that will scare you from the time you press new game to credits?
Dead space 1 and 2.

But other scary games:
Carrier (dreamcast)
Resident evil 1,2,3 (ps1)
Silent Hill 2,3,4 (ps2)
Obscure 1 (ps2) (STAY AWAY FROM OBSCURE 2, AKA The aftermath! Its lame!)

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Boss

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:56 PM

Some levels in Half-Life 2.

ccrogers15
  • ccrogers15

REQUESTED BAN

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:59 PM

the games here:
http://www.justinbiebergames.org/ smile.gif
Sorry had too.

Carter.Slade
  • Carter.Slade

A Dark Passenger

• Members

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:19 AM

Valves intro screen.

Jake
  • Jake

Vagina Mine

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:26 AM

user posted image
http://en.wikipedia....tmare_Creatures

Oh the memories.

Tyler
  • Tyler

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

• Unknown
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:29 AM

Silent Hill 2 and 3 will forever be etched in to my mind, playing my ps2 on those dark, rainy nights. There's not many other games around that can simply capture an atmosphere as horrifying as Silent Hill. I also f*cking loved the soundtracks, though, so that may be another part of it.

Tuff Luv Capo
  • Tuff Luv Capo

We must find Ansama Benlanden

• Members

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:38 AM

The Ring: Terror's Realm for Dreamcast. I turned it off it freaked me out too much.

E.A.B.
  • E.A.B.

Group: Leone Mafia Family

• Members

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:09 PM

Am I the only one that didn't find Dead Space scary at all?

When I played the first one, I reached the third chapter until I realized, 'Oh, this is supposed to be SCARY, NOW I GET IT''

I mean, I was scared of RE4; I'm a real pussy. But DS didn't do a thing for me. At all.

Partly because I saw ALL of its tricks and spooks coming from a mile away.

I think my avatar summarizes DS's method of scaring you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users