Battlefield 4

1,326 replies to this topic
vertical limit
  • vertical limit

When in doubt don't pull out.

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:58 PM

We realise that the idea of EA making a sequel is perhaps not the most surprising news story you'll read all year, but it is interesting to hear them confirm it already.

All we've got to go on though is that exec Frank Gibeau said, 'There is going to be a Battlefield 4' while making a keynote speech at the University of Southern California. But even this short proclamation hides its secrets, since he specifically says Battlefield 4 and doesn't seem to have left the door open for it being a new Bad Company or other spin-off.

EA's big shooter next year is a sequel to 2010's so-so Medal Of Honor, about which we currently know essentially nothing. There were six years between Battlefield 2 and 3 though and it's unknown how long EA plans to give developer DICE between 3 and 4.

DICE certainly don't seem particularly keen to make another Bad Company, with producer Patrick Liu telling us last month that, 'we don't have any plans right now' to create any new games in the spin-off series.
Whether EA would get in a different developer to make a sequel or other spin-off is also a complete unknown, even as many speculate that they'll try to alternate the mainline Battlefield games with Medal Of Honor - much in the way Activision alternates Infinity Ward made Call Of Duties with Treyarch ones.

One thing's for sure Battlefield 3 has been a significantly bigger hit than Medal Of Honor ever was, with 5 million sales in the first week. The game is also currently beating Modern Warfare 3 on the Xbox Live activity chart, although that's purely down to the number of copies so far in people's hands.

Black Ops is still number one and Modern Warfare 3 is expected to hit number one, and stay there, as soon as it's in enough people's hands. (We'd expect to get some sort of early sales info any day now from Activision - although they've already hinted it's had the biggest first day shipment of any game in history).

http://www.metro.co....field-4-says-ea

Alright guys so there you have. I personally doubt it will be called that, most likely Bad Company 3.

Minic
  • Minic

Incomprehensible.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE (vertical limit @ Monday, Dec 19 2011, 12:58)
Alright guys so there you have. I personally doubt it will be called that, most likely Bad Company 3.

As the article said there isn't any plans for another Bad Company game in the future yet, so i highly doubt it'll be that. If they're gonna do another main Battlefield game I'd say it will be called 4, though they could revisit the future era again and bring that to other platforms which would be interesting.

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

M.O.T

• Members

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE (vertical limit @ Monday, Dec 19 2011, 12:58)
DICE certainly don't seem particularly keen to make another Bad Company, with producer Patrick Liu telling us last month that, 'we don't have any plans right now' to create any new games in the spin-off series.
Whether EA would get in a different developer to make a sequel or other spin-off is also a complete unknown, even as many speculate that they'll try to alternate the mainline Battlefield games with Medal Of Honor - much in the way Activision alternates Infinity Ward made Call Of Duties with Treyarch ones.

This would be a good idea, but could result in a poor game. The article mentions how the CoD series has two sub-series in it, but just take a look at BO, and without the HUD, the game felt somewhat different. The lucky thing about this though was that BO wasn't part of any series, but just a game on it's own. If another team were brought in to do the BC series, it could seriously affect the final product. Look at what happened with MW3 - I can't be the only one who still prefers the MP in MW2 to 3...

The article only mentions that they currently don't have any plans for the the next BC title, but it would be stupid to let the series die out, and won't happen. The ending of BC2 seriously hints at another title in the series.

Have yet to play BF3, but it was inevitable that a BF4 would be under work soon.

BF3 made massive impressions this year, and I've seen plenty of FB statuses about people 'converting' from the CoD series to the BF series, and I might be in the same boat when I get my hands on BF3. CoD is just rehashing the same formula over and over, until one day people finally get fed up of EA taking their fans for mugs, knowing that their main target audience is the younger generation. It won't be long before BF knocks CoD off the podium, and I can't wait.

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:38 PM

If the rumours/easter eggs have any weight behind them, I think we'll see Battlefield 2143 as a XBLA/PSN release next year alongside Medal of Honour 2 (or whatever they call it) followed by Bad Company 3 the year after, Medal of Honour 3 the year after that, and then Battlefield 4 the year after that.

At least that seems like a good plan to me, instead of flooding the market with same series it gives it the chance to mix up and even change formula within the series (2143) to prevent each series from going stale.

papanesta
  • papanesta

Cantankerous Chauffeur

• The Precinct

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE (Blackadder. @ Tuesday, Dec 20 2011, 13:38)
If the rumours/easter eggs have any weight behind them, I think we'll see Battlefield 2143 as a XBLA/PSN release next year alongside Medal of Honour 2 (or whatever they call it) followed by Bad Company 3 the year after, Medal of Honour 3 the year after that, and then Battlefield 4 the year after that.

At least that seems like a good plan to me, instead of flooding the market with same series it gives it the chance to mix up and even change formula within the series (2143) to prevent each series from going stale.

Seems viable to me. Here's the easter egg, just in case people haven't been in the Battlefield 3 topic.

user posted image

I think it will be DLC rather than a seperate release, but we'll see. Medal of Honour will keep me busy for a bit, as it did last time. I would also like to see a return from Preston and the rest of Bad Company, so I'm not really fussed which they do next. DICE will be in high demand with Frostbite 2, so we'll be seeing them everywhere.

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:26 PM

I wouldn't read too much into just easter eggs though. These little dinosaurs are hidden around Wake Island (in BTK) apparently:
user posted image

They were put there in response to the excitement caused by this fanart, I doubt we'll see Jurassic Horde any time soon.
user posted image

papanesta
  • papanesta

Cantankerous Chauffeur

• The Precinct

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:28 PM

That would be so fresh after all the zombies...

Minic
  • Minic

Incomprehensible.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE (papanesta @ Tuesday, Dec 20 2011, 14:12)
I think it will be DLC rather than a seperate release, but we'll see.

Well there is an unannounced thing in the BF3 in-game store, but I'm not sure if they'll do a Vietnam-esque thing with a 2142 expansion to BF3 that has a separate lot of weapons, though if they do i hope they have a set of unlocks rather than make it so all the guns and equipment is available from the start, that was the one things that bothered me about Vietnam.

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE (Robinski @ Tuesday, Dec 20 2011, 15:26)
I wouldn't read too much into just easter eggs though. These little dinosaurs are hidden around Wake Island (in BTK) apparently:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/tKkeYl.jpg[IMG]

They were put there in response to the excitement caused by this fanart, I doubt we'll see Jurassic Horde any time soon.
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/OecD0.jpg[IMG]

For what it's worth, Armored Fury, a booster pack for BF2, had cars with license plates that said 2142 before that was announced.

A J
  • A J

Damned Brotherhood [DAMN]

• Members
  • Wales
  • Best Event 2012 [Gang Wars]

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE (papanesta @ Tuesday, Dec 20 2011, 14:28)
That would be so fresh after all the zombies...

This.

Dinosaurs ftw.

papanesta
  • papanesta

Cantankerous Chauffeur

• The Precinct

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:09 PM

QUOTE (Minic @ Tuesday, Dec 20 2011, 16:04)
QUOTE (papanesta @ Tuesday, Dec 20 2011, 14:12)
I think it will be DLC rather than a seperate release, but we'll see.

Well there is an unannounced thing in the BF3 in-game store, but I'm not sure if they'll do a Vietnam-esque thing with a 2142 expansion to BF3 that has a separate lot of weapons, though if they do i hope they have a set of unlocks rather than make it so all the guns and equipment is available from the start, that was the one things that bothered me about Vietnam.

While I agree, that unannounced release could be anything, from guns and skins, to maps. I'd hope they've got more than two DLCs planned. tounge.gif

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:09 PM

Honestly, I don't want to see Battlefield 4 (considering it's a modern shooter) for a while. I would prefer a BC3 (I like the humor of the Sweetwater and Haggard along with how everything didn't try to be almost completely authentic), Battlefield Vietnam 2, Battlefield 1944, or a Battlefield 2143 before Battlefield 4.

vertical limit
  • vertical limit

When in doubt don't pull out.

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:29 AM

Hey guys, I think it's time for an update, don't you?

Pre-Order Medal Of Honour: Warfighter and you will get BF4 beta access.

Howecer though, when you press the picture link, it comes up as an Error.

http://i.imgur.com/tBQlF.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/I0Nzv.png

kudoboi
  • kudoboi

HI

• Members

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:38 AM

QUOTE (vertical limit @ Sunday, Sep 16 2012, 04:29)
Hey guys, I think it's time for an update, don't you?

Pre-Order Medal Of Honour: Warfighter and you will get BF4 beta access.

Howecer though, when you press the picture link, it comes up as an Error.

http://i.imgur.com/tBQlF.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/I0Nzv.png

we knew that months ago that you would get bf4 beta if you pre ordered MOH war fighter

papanesta
  • papanesta

Cantankerous Chauffeur

• The Precinct

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:17 AM

There was two Battlefield 4 topics on the same page, so I bumped the one with more recent posts.

More news! wow.gif

Potato Boggle
  • Potato Boggle

Formerly ozzman1

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE (papanesta @ Thursday, Jan 31 2013, 03:17)
There was two Battlefield 4 topics on the same page, so I bumped the one with more recent posts.

More news! wow.gif

If next gen consoles are rumoured to come out at the end of this year does anyone else think that maybe this Battlefield will be next or cross generation?

hobointheyard
  • hobointheyard

GTAF are a joke now...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

I've read something about this in Game Informer...

Trund
  • Trund

I'm all of ach fo her

• Members

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

QUOTE (ozzman1 @ Thursday, Jan 31 2013, 10:31)

More news! wow.gif

If next gen consoles are rumoured to come out at the end of this year does anyone else think that maybe this Battlefield will be next or cross generation?

Heck no way. It's EA. PS3/Xbox360 have a huge base, they wouldn't purposely release it on a new-gen console if the revenue will be less.

Just look at Dead Space 3 for PC, it's a 1:1 port, not even better textures or anything. All they care about is money, not quality. suicidal.gif

ZDANZ96
  • ZDANZ96

• Members

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE (Trund @ Thursday, Jan 31 2013, 11:02)

More news! wow.gif

Heck no way. It's EA. PS3/Xbox360 have a huge base, they wouldn't purposely release it on a new-gen console if the revenue will be less.

Just look at Dead Space 3 for PC, it's a 1:1 port, not even better textures or anything. All they care about is money, not quality. suicidal.gif

Yeah but it is a must. Battlefield 4 needs 64 players for all consoles, bigger maps, higher frame rate and a lot more to be an authentic Battlefield game.

And it is only something possible in the next gen consoles.

Radoonhagaydoon
  • Radoonhagaydoon

Ignorance lives everywhere.

• BUSTED!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

There's one last Call of Duty this gen I heard, so next-gen consoles are probably out sometime late 2014

zmouse
  • zmouse

Snitch

• Members

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE (ZDANZ96 @ Thursday, Jan 31 2013, 09:19)
QUOTE (Trund @ Thursday, Jan 31 2013, 11:02)

More news! wow.gif

Yeah but it is a must. Battlefield 4 needs 64 players for all consoles, bigger maps, higher frame rate and a lot more to be an authentic Battlefield game.

And it is only something possible in the next gen consoles.

oxm.co.uk
"We think Battlefield and FIFA are going to help us lead as we move into the next set of technology opportunities and platform opportunities, and continue to get bigger."
This is encouraging.

Sgt. Foley
  • Sgt. Foley

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

http://www.egmnow.co...ease-hinted-at/

EA announced during its third quarter earnings call that it will be revealing more about Battlefield 4 “in about 90 days.”

“We’ve already talked a little bit about that we have a Battlefield title coming next year, but we’re not in a position right now to talk about our development plans and our SKU plan long term,” said EA Labels president Frank Gibeau. “That will come in about 90 days when we get to show you some Battlefield stuff.”

EA CEO John Riccitiello also hinted at a next-generation version of Battlefield 4. “We think Battlefield and FIFA are going to help us lead as we move into the next set of technology opportunities and platform opportunities, and continue to get bigger,” he said.

The article also says Battlefield 4 coming October this year... lol yeah, right

GTAction99
  • GTAction99

R*

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:10 AM Edited by GTAction99, 16 March 2013 - 11:32 AM.

I hope they add the DAO-12 or atleast a strikingly similar gun like the Striker Shotgun xD.

I will love DICE forever if they add the DAO-12.
Has there ever been a Battlefield game that had guns carry over from another game?

Durden
  • Durden

The annoying voice in your head

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:47 AM

I wonder if next year's Battlefield game will be Battlefield 4 or Bad Company 3. I hope for BF4 a little more personally, because the story was a huge cliffhanger.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

I'm back as a changed man.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:45 PM Edited by theomenofficial, 15 March 2013 - 07:48 PM.

http://www.onlysp.co...ing-march-26th/
The next-generation of gaming for EA is about to begin on March 26th. Full invites have now gone out to the press inviting them to come celebrate “a new era of battlefield”. Details at the moment are scarce, but be sure to check back on the 26th for full details on Battlefield 4. As we stated yesterday, we aren’t entirely sure we’ll cover the game, but if the campaign is a big enough feature in the game, you can count on having full coverage. A picture of the invite sent to the press can be seen just below.

user posted image

http://www.oxm.co.uk...g-today-rumour/

Battlefield 4 will be revealed this month - possibly even today - on Battlefield Premium, according to internet whisperers who've also got hold of what they claim is the game's cover art.

This follows a rumour that the game will go public on 26th March, at or alongside the annual Game Developers Conference in San Francisco. EA sent an invite to IGN and other sites which carries the distinctive Battlefield 3 colour scheme.

The new artwork comes care of Battlefield Premium user 32bita and Battlefieldo, one of the internet's most prominent Battlefield fan sites. "I have personally seen the cover art for Battlefield 4, which I cannot post," wrote "Jrb", director of the latter. "But I can say that it resembles that of the original Battlefield 3 cover. A man running, in the rain along with tanks, APC's, and a small teaser image of a jet just to the right of his body.
"The buildings in the background also resemble that of the original Battlefield 3 artwork. He appears to be holding a suppressed EBR rifle with a support bipod, along with a 1911 pistol with a tac-light in his other hand. The character's face has evolved from Battlefield 3, sporting slicked back hair in an American military uniform."

Subsequently, NeoGAF users turned up a small, watermarked image that corresponds to the Battlefieldo description. Have a look.

We wouldn't normally credit findings of this sort, but there's additional supporting evidence. For starters, we already know that the game is set in the present day thanks to DICE general manager Karl Magnus Troedsson, who told GDC audiences last year that "we still want to stay in this genre, the modern day as it is. We feel this is a place we can be and continue with the series. Battlefield 4 can live in this space and be very successful."

As regards the trustworthiness of Battlefieldo - this is the site that verified the existence of Battlefield Premium last May. Premium users can expect another exclusive video this month, incidentally. Given that Battlefield 3's fifth and, as far as we know, final DLC pack End Game has already been released, it's not clear what the topic will be. In fairness, End Game producer Craig Mcleod has suggested that DICE may continue to support Battlefield 3 with new content alongside Battlefield 4.

Battlefieldo also claims that those who watch the video will get a special dog tag, reading "I was there" - picture to the right. Last but not least, Jrb has hinted on Twitter that we'll hear more today.
Plots are thickening. Stay tuned.

Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

Link to the boxart-style image: http://img.gawkerass...pg/original.jpg

GTAction99
  • GTAction99

R*

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:16 PM

Can't wait to see what DICE did this time. icon14.gif

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:16 PM

Couldn't they just make Bad Company 3 instead?

Sgt. Foley
  • Sgt. Foley

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:17 PM

OMG YES! I'm going to cum buckets. can't wait till next week...

papanesta
  • papanesta

Cantankerous Chauffeur

• The Precinct

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:22 AM

QUOTE (Sgt. Foley @ Friday, Mar 15 2013, 21:17)
OMG YES! I'm going to cum buckets. can't wait till next week...

Well, week after next, going by the official announcement date.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users