» «
Photo

SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act)

160 replies to this topic
hambones
  • hambones

Every Inch A King

• Members

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:22 AM Edited by sivispacem, 23 January 2012 - 09:11 PM.

first off this is not a spam or troll post, if this has been posted before go ahead and lock it but i searched and couldn't find anything.

tomorrow could be a very terrible day for the united states. i want to let the links speak for themselves but i would also like to include a TL;DR. basically the government would block internet access to the entertainment industry. without even going to trial, the government can shut down the website and block access, sue the website and any user that infringes on copyrights, pretty much what's going on in China but worse.

SOPA would hold any site with user-generated content responsible. In Lenz v. Universal Music Corp., it was demonstrated that big media corporations have not considered fair use in the past when issuing takedown notices. In the SOPA world, the alleged rightsholder would be able to force former safe harbors to suspend service prior to being found guilty of infringing on rights. None of the sites that rely on user-generated content would be able to survive in this environment.

those websites with user-generated content would include facebook and twitter. social media and the internet as we know it will come to an end. if someone puts a video on youtube of them singing someone's song, that's copyright infringement. i am definitely leaving some information out in regards to as far as they can go and what exactly they can do with their powers.

please read these links and sign the petition. i've been seeing this bill in the news lately so it's definitely not something small.. they actually just voted against a blockage of the bill.. it's just not getting publicity because of everything else going on in america (the economy, the jerry sandusky scandal, occupy wall street etc).

http://theagilepanda...all-of-america/
http://www.feld.com/...row-111611.html <--- this link includes a video that does a good job explaining everything.

Kwandilibro
  • Kwandilibro

Be eye itch.

• Members

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:54 AM

That's... f*cking retarded.

Triple Penetration
  • Triple Penetration

Box ♡ Out

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:05 AM

Good riddance, then.

Bye, Slamman. It's all because you voted your own president.

Gtaman_92
  • Gtaman_92

PS4 user.

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:24 AM

Can my country get anymore f*cking corrupt and stupid?

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Absolute Dunkel:Heit

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D]
    Contribution Award [General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE (hambones @ Wednesday, Nov 16 2011, 02:22)
basically the government would block internet access to the entertainment industry.

Only in the case of impending legal action, either criminal or civil. That's no different to most of the policies put forward by many other Western governments to counter piracy, which is what this whole idea is designed to do.

without even going to trial, the government can shut down the website and block access,

Which they can and have done already, in the case of terrorist websites and sites that supply information that could be useful for terrorists or terrorist organisations.

sue the website and any user that infringes on copyrights,

I think your misunderstanding here. The government won't do the suing as they've got no grounds to sue, as they aren't the copyright holders. They'll close down websites that are promoting copyright infringement, but only in the case of legal action launched by the holders of the copyrights. It's the copyright holders that do the legal action, not the government- and I can't see a blanket attempt to target end-users rather than the hosts of websites being particularly successful- there are far more pirates, both casual and hardcore, than there are resources to chase them all for copyright infringement.

pretty much what's going on in China but worse.

How is it worse than mass-scale internet censorship? I mean, China censors historical events, political information and basically filters everything else through a very fine net. All we're talking about here is giving the US government the capability to disrupt or prevent copyright infringement, which, lets be honest, is illegal. The only people who should have any cause for concern are those who themselves promote piracy actively, and then it's a situation of their own making- if they hadn't done so, then the legislation wouldn't affect them.

Coincidently, why do you think this is going to fundamentally change the way social media works? The user generated content is seldom hosted on the social media sites themselves, but it hosted on third party websites. I think you'll also find that, under copyright law, the re-recording of cover versions of songs by an individual is not illegal as long as that individual doesn't profit financially from doing so.

Jake
  • Jake

Vagina Mine

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:48 AM

Sounds like something blown out of proportion to me.

Mati
  • Mati

f*ck the planet till it spins on a broken axis

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:24 PM

This only affects the US, right?

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:32 PM

Yes... the Original Law would. But, 'laws' and pressure will eventually rot the entire system. How many Internet sites do you visit that originate in the U.S.A.?
It's like the Anti-Gun laws the U.N. are pushing. Right now they may only affect 'second-class' nations but they want to infect the U.S.A. citizens right to own weapons.
New World Order is important to those Elite that want more power over the people. Free thought is Dangerous, that's why the First Up Against the Wall are the university students..

Mati
  • Mati

f*ck the planet till it spins on a broken axis

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:43 PM Edited by Mati, 16 November 2011 - 02:13 PM.

I simply can't f*cking believe this. Almost every single celeb is using Twitter and Facebook, Youtube is nothing but a money machine for every company so how the hell can this even happen? Oh and here's a video I found:

So true.

stu
  • stu

I drink it up

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:40 PM

I think people are getting a bit carried away with this. NWO? Illuminati? Pure fantasy and utter nonsense.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE (GTA_stu @ Wednesday, Nov 16 2011, 10:40)
I think people are getting a bit carried away with this. NWO? Illuminati? Pure fantasy and utter nonsense.

It was sarcasm.

stu
  • stu

I drink it up

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE (goin-god @ Wednesday, Nov 16 2011, 13:43)
QUOTE (GTA_stu @ Wednesday, Nov 16 2011, 10:40)

It was sarcasm.

Yh but some people were serious. There are PLENTY of people that will be taking it as the next step towards the population being exterminated by power hungry lizards with pyramids where their eyes should be.

manofpeace
  • manofpeace

Stay Gold

• Members

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:23 PM

Every time one of these bills gets proposed, it gets shot down. We have a constitution for a reason, folks.

Chinatown Wars
  • Chinatown Wars

<3 Chris

• Members

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:18 PM

Holy crap, today is the dayyyyy!!!!!!!! sarcasm.gif
That bills going to become target practice.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:02 PM

QUOTE (Mati @ Wednesday, Nov 16 2011, 07:24)

Well, no. Since the US owns the internet, it affects the entire world wide web.

Guns N R0se
  • Guns N R0se

King of the Mountain

• Members

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE (Moonshield @ Wednesday, Nov 16 2011, 16:02)
QUOTE (Mati @ Wednesday, Nov 16 2011, 07:24)

Well, no. Since the US owns the internet, it affects the entire world wide web.

Al Gore invented it, so I mean, clearly we own it tounge.gif

hambones
  • hambones

Every Inch A King

• Members

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:30 PM

i know that it sounds like i may be overreacting about this but imo it's pretty damn serious. this isn't NWO or illuminati, this is the government doing what they want to make a lot of money. the internet is a money machine and an easy f*cking target for the government cuz billions of people use the internet. like i said earlier, there was a proposal last week (i think) to block the bills.. the proposal wasn't passed and here we are today. they're debating the bills as i type this.

this infographic does a good job explaining what the internet would be like with the SOPA and protect IP bills:
http://americancenso...nfographic.html

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:31 PM

Don't we get something like this every year?

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:45 PM

Copyright isn't going to last out the century. There's a lot of cash grabbing now, because the end of control over information is rather nigh.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Absolute Dunkel:Heit

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D]
    Contribution Award [General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:47 PM Edited by sivispacem, 16 November 2011 - 07:51 PM.

QUOTE (hambones @ Wednesday, Nov 16 2011, 19:30)
i know that it sounds like i may be overreacting about this but imo it's pretty damn serious. this isn't NWO or illuminati, this is the government doing what they want to make a lot of money. the internet is a money machine and an easy f*cking target for the government cuz billions of people use the internet.

You still haven't explained how the government profit in any way from this. Perhaps it's because, as I explained earlier, they don't?

As an aside, as I've explained before, the "NWO" concept is an idiotic notion invented by people too stupid to understand political terms.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE (Mati @ Wednesday, Nov 16 2011, 08:43)
Almost every single celeb is using Twitter and Facebook, Youtube is nothing but a money machine for every company so how the hell can this even happen?

That's precisely why it won't. Corruption. It isn't always bad.

Senex Iunior
  • Senex Iunior

Living in Vice Point since 2002

• Members

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:47 AM Edited by Senex Iunior, 17 November 2011 - 01:52 AM.

Well, we get what we asked for. If the Supreme Court upholds the bill (as it's likely to pass), I'm ingesting rat poison.

On a related note, anyone else read Showdown at Gucci Gulch?

jassygirl
  • jassygirl

Love you guys :)

• Members

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:49 AM

guess we should start going to clubs then and have fake internet. Theres always proxies and underground sites. lol.gif

If it gets passed, im not voting for obama for 2012, and im gonna find him, and poop in his briefcase.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:54 AM

QUOTE (jassygirl @ Wednesday, Nov 16 2011, 20:49)
guess we should start going to clubs then and have fake internet. Theres always proxies and underground sites. lol.gif

If it gets passed, im not voting for obama for 2012, and im gonna find him, and poop in his briefcase.

He'd probably veto this if it even made it past the Senate which I doubt.

hambones
  • hambones

Every Inch A King

• Members

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:34 AM

Mozilla is against SOPA as well

http://www.mozilla.org/sopa/

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:44 AM

Mozilla: "Your favorite websites both inside and outside the US could be blocked based on an infringement claim."

Is that really true?

Senex Iunior
  • Senex Iunior

• Members

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:50 AM Edited by Senex Iunior, 17 November 2011 - 02:58 AM.

QUOTE (Irviding @ Wednesday, Nov 16 2011, 21:44)
Mozilla: "Your favorite websites both inside and outside the US could be blocked based on an infringement claim."

Is that really true?

Yes, that's how DNS censorship works. (http://dcdirectactio...cess-wikileaks/: "There has been discussion for some time in the US of attempting to shut down music/movie sharing, and probably fair-use video sharing as well, by erasing the names of noncomplying sites from the DNS registries, that is to say, the Internetís master 'phone books.'") (Also see: http://www.anonymous...e-internet.html)

Not to mention that results for many sites wouldn't even show up after a period of time; it reminds me of the Ministry of Information from 1984.

Pat
  • Pat

• The Connection

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:01 AM

QUOTE (Senex Iunior @ Wednesday, Nov 16 2011, 20:47)
(as it's likely to pass)

Yeah, it's not like similar bills have been proposed in the past and turned down because the general consensus was that they violated the first amendment.

...oh, wait.

Senex Iunior
  • Senex Iunior

• Members

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:05 AM

QUOTE (Pat @ Wednesday, Nov 16 2011, 22:01)
QUOTE (Senex Iunior @ Wednesday, Nov 16 2011, 20:47)
(as it's likely to pass)

Yeah, it's not like similar bills have been proposed in the past and turned down because the general consensus was that they violated the first amendment.

...oh, wait.

As I seem to recall, Sen. Wyden was the sole reason COICA failed.

PHCharls
  • PHCharls

• Members

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:37 AM Edited by PHCharls, 17 November 2011 - 03:40 AM.

Well there are alot of people will sign this thing against the SOPA law.

http://americancensorship.org/ .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users