The Hobbit

113 replies to this topic
NCONiall
  • NCONiall

Alright Dave?

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:41 PM

A lot seem to love a bit of romance. That was probably the reason Arwen's role in the LOTR films was intensified. Much the same here, only, Kate wasn't in the book - at all.

I have to say, Smaug looks pretty damn good; I think Cumberbatch was a great choice for his voice. However I'm struggling to see how they can get an entire third film out of this. In that trailer we see them in the halls of Erebor, which is near enough close the end (before that battle). They must be putting a good chunk of lore/back-story in there in order for it to stretch to a third film.

Artful.
  • Artful.

=AoD=

• Angels of Death MC
  • England

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Tuesday, Jun 25 2013, 03:24)
Although I like "Kate", why do they have to puts this character in this? It almost feels like it's just an excuse to give Orlando Bloom a love interest.

I read somewhere that there wasn't to be a romance between the pair but I can't confirm its authenticity. I think the reason they put it in was because the more well known actors a film has, the more likely people are to watch it, and who doesn't know her?

However I'm struggling to see how they can get an entire third film out of this. In that trailer we see them in the halls of Erebor, which is near enough close the end (before that battle). They must be putting a good chunk of lore/back-story in there in order for it to stretch to a third film.

I know what you mean. I know from reading the book and then watching the trailer that the this one will cover Thorins company talking to the Eagles, the Dwarves visiting Beorn, the journey through Mirkwood, visiting Lake Town, Gandalf clearing out Dol Goldur, the Dwarves getting into Erebor and maybe Smaugs death or just before it(the scene where Bilbo slides down the pile of gold is in the book after Smaug leaves the mountain). This means the only in book things left to be in the final movie are The Dwarves fortifying Erebor against the Elves, The Battle of Five Armies, maybe Smaug attacking Lake Town and the journey back to the Shire. Those scenes ever need to go on for ages or they will need to make new scenes for the movie. I doubt it will be as long as the first two though.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

mountaineer

• Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE (XxArtfullxX @ Monday, Jun 24 2013, 15:50)
I must say though, putting Legolas in was a bad move; He looks fatter and older than he did in the Lord of the Rings. Meh, other than that it looks like it'll be another really good film.

What? He was in The Hobbit.

@NCONiall I'm wondering if the third film might be largely the 40 some odd years between The Hobbit and the beginning of LoTR. I've said it before, but I'd love to see a young Aragorn and Theoden fighting alongside each other like in the afterwards.

Artful.
  • Artful.

=AoD=

• Angels of Death MC
  • England

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE (Moonshield @ Tuesday, Jun 25 2013, 19:04)
QUOTE (XxArtfullxX @ Monday, Jun 24 2013, 15:50)
I must say though, putting Legolas in was a bad move; He looks fatter and older than he did in the Lord of the Rings. Meh, other than that it looks like it'll be another really good film.

What? He was in The Hobbit.

@NCONiall I'm wondering if the third film might be largely the 40 some odd years between The Hobbit and the beginning of LoTR. I've said it before, but I'd love to see a young Aragorn and Theoden fighting alongside each other like in the afterwards.

I don't get what you are trying to say.

If they set a film between The Hobbit and LoTR I think it would be pretty lame. Only half of it would actually be the Hobbit, the other half would be random sh*t not related to the book in anyway. Making up events that weren't in the book but are to do with the storyline is one thing but making up something unrelated to the plot and using the Hobbit name for it would just be a piss take.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:56 PM Edited by darthYENIK, 25 June 2013 - 07:01 PM.

There's plenty of stuff that goes on between the Hobbit and LOTR, written in the LOTR appendices and Silmarillion, that they wouldn't need to "make things up". But I don't think that'll be the case. At least with as wide a scope as seeing Aragorn or anything outside of the Hobbit story. We might see how Dale is rebuilt, how "the Necromancer" starts to rebuild his army, how the Dwarves are getting along (a brief scene or so showing the last days of Balin, maybe), and of course how Bilbo's return to the Shire was treated by other Hobbits, and how Frodo came to live with him. But I don't see more than a half hour of the movie dedicated to it. (it will be a three hour movie, after all.)

Artful.
  • Artful.

=AoD=

• Angels of Death MC
  • England

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:00 PM

It's not that I would dislike seeing all of that, its just that I would rather see all of that in a stand alone movie. The fact that they added in Azog pissed me off enough, I don't want things which were not in the book to be placed in this movie. I do hope they make a Silmarillion movie at some point.

NCONiall
  • NCONiall

Alright Dave?

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE (XxArtfullxX @ Tuesday, Jun 25 2013, 20:00)
I do hope they make a Silmarillion movie at some point.

I'm afraid to say that Christopher Tolkien has ensured that it will never be made - at least for a while. I would not expect it in the near future.

QUOTE (Moonshield @ Tuesday, Jun 25 2013, 19:04)
@NCONiall I'm wondering if the third film might be largely the 40 some odd years between The Hobbit and the beginning of LoTR.

There was also a 17-year gap between when Frodo acquired the ring and when he actually set out to destroy it; during which Gandalf set out to read up on the ring, and IIRC went out of his way to capture Gollum.

I think darthYENIK has the gist of it - an extended epilogue, along with a good chunk of lore. We will be seeing Gandalf's POV as well after all, and perhaps more.

LordWieslaw
  • LordWieslaw

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:31 PM

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:36 AM

Im big Lotr movie fan, but I still cannot like Hobbit. Seen it on bluray, but even that does not make it any better.

Hopefully the next movie is a lot better as there is a lot more action, and LEGOLAS!!!! Woohee!!!

And no, I'm not gay, but I still like Orlando Bloom's renderition of Legolas very much.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

mountaineer

• Mongolia

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:47 PM

Saw the midnight screening last night. The Desolation of Smaug is better than the first movie in every way - the pace was generally faster without being rushed, the action was great, and the story was way more understandable. Plus the whole sequence with Smaug was AMAZING. He was exactly how I'd always imagined him - pompous, cunning, angry, and spiteful.

Shout out to Stephen Fry as the master of Laketown. He was great and disgusting.

Spoiler

Spoiler

• OMFGSolaX likes this

OMFGSolaX
  • OMFGSolaX

Cheese! :D

• Members

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:21 AM

Saw the midnight screening last night. The Desolation of Smaug is better than the first movie in every way - the pace was generally faster without being rushed, the action was great, and the story was way more understandable. Plus the whole sequence with Smaug was AMAZING. He was exactly how I'd always imagined him - pompous, cunning, angry, and spiteful.

Shout out to Stephen Fry as the master of Laketown. He was great and disgusting.

Spoiler

Spoiler

i can only agree with that. Watched it last night aswell. Although i have to say i did not like the animation of some sequences of Smaug.

Spoiler

Prince Gumball
  • Prince Gumball

It's not like anyone cares anyway

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:07 AM

I just watched this a few days ago, It's a total improvement over the first movie, the action sequences are very awesome (and funny too)

I can't wait to see the next one after seeing the ending because it really makes us curious.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:19 PM

Bump.

A9e8spJ.jpg

This has me very excited.

• Moonshield, Toke, FRAIZER and 1 other like this

FRAIZER
  • FRAIZER

Made in the '80s

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA Online]

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:34 PM

I am so excited for the trailer! Can't wait to see it.

krashr
  • krashr

head on a stick

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:59 AM

XUw78PC.jpg

Prince Gumball
  • Prince Gumball

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:40 PM

RELEVANT 

• Moonshield, El Diablo and W2B like this

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Then perhaps we shall start a revolution of our own

• Members
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:42 AM

They used Pippin's song! Bastards, they know what works on me.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:49 PM

This is the part of the book, I think we all couldn't wait to see.  I can't wait for more of that...

Spoiler

• Prince Gumball likes this

Zoobz
  • Zoobz

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:08 PM

Official Main Trailer as they put it.

Reveals a bit more about what's to come in the film.

• El Diablo likes this

uNi
  • uNi

instantrum

• None

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:33 PM

Can't wait to see this at the cinema.

NAME CHANGE LOL
  • NAME CHANGE LOL

Say pal, you don't look so good.

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:40 PM

Pretty much the moment I've been waiting for. I'm sure there'll be a lot of source material butchery, but I'm hoping the titular battle will make up for it. I thought the flashback to the Battle of Azanulbizar was the only cool bit from the previous Hobbit films.

• Moonshield likes this

Prince Gumball
  • Prince Gumball

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted A week ago

It's gonna be the last

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

mountaineer

• Mongolia

Posted A week ago

Pretty much the moment I've been waiting for. I'm sure there'll be a lot of source material butchery, but I'm hoping the titular battle will make up for it. I thought the flashback to the Battle of Azanulbizar was the only cool bit from the previous Hobbit films.

This kind of. The battle was cool, very CGI heavy (way more than LoTR). I think the best sequence in the film was the homage to the Bashki Lord of the Rings cartoon. If you've seen both, you'll know what I'm talking about.

All in all, it was okay - too much sh*t packed into an already overlong movie leaves little, if not messy resolutions.

UshaB
  • UshaB

Untouchable

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 15 hours ago

3RD ONE IS AWESOME!!!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users