The Hobbit

114 replies to this topic
Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

How's everyone feel about the framerate? I don't know if I can get on board with that.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Born to kick your ass

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:35 PM

I'm definitely going to watch the standard framerate over the 42 fps. I hear it looks like your typical BBC drama at that speed. No thank you.

NCONiall
  • NCONiall

Alright Dave?

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:46 PM Edited by NCONiall, 16 December 2012 - 10:52 PM.

I watched it in 3D with the high frame rate and it was distracting at first but you get used to it quickly and it turned out fine. If you're the paranoid type then you're better off with the 2D 24FPS version because you'll only ever think about the frame rate throughtout the film and ruin it for yourself. The film itself however was amazing and it stayed loyal to the text very well.

Chunkyman
  • Chunkyman

Foot Soldier

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:21 AM

I thought the movie was wonderful. I saw a ton of complaints of Rotten Tomatoes so I thought it wouldn't be good, but I found the film to be nearly on par with The Lord of The Rings.

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

I saw it in 24 FPS 3D. Thought the 3D was distracting as f*ck and I constantly had trouble focusing on stuff. And the movie was way too long in relation to how much ground it covered.

Other than those complaints, I quite liked it. Martin Freeman made a great Bilbo.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Born to kick your ass

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:25 AM

Just got back from the movie.

As a fan of film, I definitely can see that they could cut an hour or more out of it. This has to be the full on director's cut. I can't see them stretching it another hour, like they did in the LOTR extended editions.

As a fan of the Hobbit, Tolkien and the Jackson LOTR films, I f*cking loved it. I was mouthing the second half of lines after hearing the first, I knew all of the answers to Gollum's riddles, and couldn't help but smile when it showed the ax that Gloin was using.

Next December can't come soon enough.

NCONiall
  • NCONiall

Alright Dave?

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:42 PM Edited by NCONiall, 28 December 2012 - 04:44 PM.

Gollum's riddles were definitely the best scene in the movie for me. I couldn't remember the answers to them I was just sitting there shouting out answers as if it were Family Fortunes. I only managed get the second last riddle(the time one) because I thought it was a really good one and I had memorized it a while ago.

It's really sad to see this film get negative reception because of it's length and FPS. I think this was a really good movie and I'd gladly watch it again.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Born to kick your ass

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

It's okay that it's long. Jackson has said numerous times that he's not making these movies for the critics. He's making them for us, the fans of the books. Of course I don't know how much the Tolkien purests enjoy that Azog is in the movie. Anyway, Jackson doesn't care, Tolkien fans shouldn't care, even though the critics aren't wrong.

Corndawg93
  • Corndawg93

OG

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:06 AM

This movie was amazing, loved every bit of it

BullworthAcademy
  • BullworthAcademy

Can't wait for Red Dead Redemption 2!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:39 PM

I'm going to watch it in a few weeks. happy.gif

Iminicus
  • Iminicus

You cried like a rape victim

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Pitcairn-Islands

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:07 PM

The Hobbit just reaffirms that Jackson isn't the great director we have been lead to believe. His inclusion of appendix material into the 2 hour 49 minute movie shows that since King Kong, he has lost the ability to create a nice tight script. I know he is trying to please Tolkien fans but by bringing in all this extra material he slows the plot down....drastically.

The Hobbit isn't a great film, it isn't an amazing film. It is simply a film that cashes in the goodwill New Line and Jackson created with the LOTR trilogy. His lack of focus ( and the fact it is split into 3 parts ) distracts from what should have been a return to form for both Jackson and New Zealand film. Instead, we are left with a nearly 3 hour slow motion train wreck towards Smaug.

This is obviously a critic of Jackson's filmmaking than the film, which had its share of boring parts ( the fifth wizard, Frodo and Bilbo appearing on screen ). Ultimately, The Hobbit meanders from one fight to another, one epic piece of scenery to another and from one boring speech to another. The characters feel hollow and the actors don't truly get to engage with them enough to bring life to them. The exceptions being Blanchett back as Galadariel ( why she was chosen in 1998 amazes me ), Ian McKellen as Gandalf, Andy Serkis as Gollum/Smeagal, Christopher ( I am a GODDAMN SUPER SPY ) Lee as Saruman, and Hugo Weaving as Elrond.

Unfortunately, it is too late for Jackson to recut this film and release a nice tight movie that works. Lets hope that the Desolation of Smaug is a tighter film.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:03 AM

I just hate these god damn giant eagles or hawks or whatever they are which always show up @ JUST the right time to save everyone.

I understand this is part of the story; it's not like Peter Jackson wrote the book. it was Tolkien's idea, but it represents one of the most massive, gaping, ridiculous plot holes in the history of fiction. because if Gandalf can just call in these massive birds to pluck everyone up and fly them around when they're in danger, why the hell can't he call them from the beginning and just skip the entire adventure all together?? it might not be as interesting, but since these birds exist it's obviously the most logical thing to do.

The Hobbit should take 5 minutes.
jump on the birds, fly straight to the Dwarven kingdom, ignore all the trolls and orcs on the ground, nice and easy.

The Lord of the Rings should be exactly the same.
hop on the birds, fly over the top of Mordor, drop the ring into the lava. the end.

I hate seeing those birds. they ruin everything. they ruin the entire story, really.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Born to kick your ass

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:41 AM

Well, in the books the eagles are more like another race of people. Gandalf doesn't command them, there is no moth. In the Hobbit (book) the eagles stumble upon Gandalf and the gang when they are investigating the commotion that happens when the Wargs (also like a race of people), and goblins discover the company in the trees. And they can't fly them to the Lonely Mountain because Smaug would see them coming, and they have their own sh*t to deal with. In the Fellowship, I believe Radagast asks the eagles to save Gandalf, and in the Return of the King the eagles are fighting in the battle of the Black Gate. Jackson definitely makes it seem like they are just part of Gandalf's magic. I don't get why he has a problem with talking animals.

@Iminicus, like I said, the movie aficionado in me doesn't like it, but the Tolkien fan does, immensely. And I agree, I'd like to see a reverse director's cut of this movie. Send someone in to direct it.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:01 AM

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Monday, Jan 7 2013, 20:41)
Well, in the books the eagles are more like another race of people. Gandalf doesn't command them, there is no moth. In the Hobbit (book) the eagles stumble upon Gandalf and the gang when they are investigating the commotion that happens when the Wargs (also like a race of people), and goblins discover the company in the trees. And they can't fly them to the Lonely Mountain because Smaug would see them coming, and they have their own sh*t to deal with. In the Fellowship, I believe Radagast asks the eagles to save Gandalf, and in the Return of the King the eagles are fighting in the battle of the Black Gate. Jackson definitely makes it seem like they are just part of Gandalf's magic. I don't get why he has a problem with talking animals.

so... if Gandalf cannot summon the birds, then their presence as a plot device is even more annoying lol.gif

that means they just happened to be in the area to save the dwarves from the Orcs and that they just happened to be in the area to save Frodo and Sam from the lava. not very creative if you ask me. and how is Smaug gonna' see anyone coming when he sleeps buried in under thousands of pounds of gold? sleepy.gif

riddle me that!

Iminicus
  • Iminicus

You cried like a rape victim

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Pitcairn-Islands

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

@darth, that would be fantastic. A reverse director's cut. See, even the Tolkien fan in me doesn't like all the extras as many feel forced into the plot and distract from it. They would be better served as part of a AniMatrix like film. In fact, that would kick ass.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Born to kick your ass

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:48 AM Edited by darthYENIK, 08 January 2013 - 07:58 AM.

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Monday, Jan 7 2013, 21:01)
QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Monday, Jan 7 2013, 20:41)

so... if Gandalf cannot summon the birds, then their presence as a plot device is even more annoying lol.gif

that means they just happened to be in the area to save the dwarves from the Orcs and that they just happened to be in the area to save Frodo and Sam from the lava. not very creative if you ask me. and how is Smaug gonna' see anyone coming when he sleeps buried in under thousands of pounds of gold? sleepy.gif

riddle me that!

Two phrases explain that. Deus ex machina, and I think the more appropriate, and Tolkien's own phrase, Eucatastrophe. A word probably created to answer the very questions you have. It's basically him saying, yeah it's kind of cheap and quick, but there is a point to it, and it kind of helps the story.

This is a pretty good explanatory blog article... http://periannath.co...-to-mount-doom/

My explanations. The eagles live in the area where Gandalf, Bilbo, and the Dwarves were in the trees, and they hate Orcs and Wargs, so they wanted to protect their lands. And like I said they where at the battle of the Black Gate. So they didn't just happen to be in the area. They were there fighting to help destroy Sauron, why not save the ones who did so? To further explain why they didn't just fly them, eagles have kind of a, "we don't take orders from anyone", type of attitude. So if they ever were asked they'd probably say no. Admittedly by Tolkien, this is all written to be the convenient answer.

As for Smaug (it's been a while since I read the entire book, I just recently started on it, but stopped where 'Unexpected' ends), but he doesn't always stay in the mountain, and he has super hearing or smell or something, but it's explained that he f*cks up whatever comes within miles of the mountain. I guess you can say that's convenient as well. But, then you can say that about a great many works.

Either way, whatever holes you think you can poke in these stories, Tolkien probably thought of the ways he was going to plug them, and he died 40 years before you poked.

EDIT: @Iminicus, I bet that a no bullsh*t cut of all three Hobbit movies will come out, at least as a bootleg. I'd like to get my hands on it myself. Seems like a fun project.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:25 AM

fair enough.

I just don't read a lot of fiction.
I'm more into history, current events, biography, etc.

maybe Deus ex machina is a very common thing for fiction writers to employ when they don't feel like being creative, but to me it stands out like a sore thumb.

fridaynightscream
  • fridaynightscream

Just an average gamer.

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:44 PM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Wednesday, Jan 9 2013, 04:25)
fair enough.

I just don't read a lot of fiction.
I'm more into history, current events, biography, etc.

maybe Deus ex machina is a very common thing for fiction writers to employ when they don't feel like being creative, but to me it stands out like a sore thumb.

You sound really boring.

I loved this movie. I saw it opening day in IMAX 3D and loved it, but seeing again in HFSUCKYR 3D ruined it.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:27 AM

QUOTE (fridaynightscream @ Wednesday, Jan 16 2013, 16:44)
You sound really boring.

because I don't read a lot of fairy tales?? lol.gif

you don't know anything about me.
stick to the topic, Sherlock sigh.gif

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Born to kick your ass

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:14 AM

Ouch, fairy tales? That's practically like calling the Hobbit a racial slur.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:56 AM

fairy tales meaning "fiction;" not an insult or comment about JRR Tolkien.

everyone's looking for an excuse to be offended today lol...

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Born to kick your ass

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:35 AM

I was just joking, I don't know what that other guy was thinking.

Gummy 
  • Gummy 

The Sound of Silence

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

Does anyone know what song is used when Galadriel says "Why the Halfling" in this scene:

BullworthAcademy
  • BullworthAcademy

Can't wait for Red Dead Redemption 2!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:14 AM

Am I the only person who still hasn't seen this?

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

Not the only one I still don't plan on watching it.

NCONiall
  • NCONiall

Alright Dave?

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE (Prince Gumball @ Saturday, Jun 1 2013, 12:00)
Does anyone know what song is used when Galadriel says "Why the Halfling" in this scene:

It sounds like the Breaking of the Fellowship track from LOTR.

Kiffster
  • Kiffster

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:20 PM

Great movie! Though TLOTR trilogy was much better.

Gummy 
  • Gummy 

The Sound of Silence

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE (NCONiall @ Saturday, Jun 1 2013, 12:21)
QUOTE (Prince Gumball @ Saturday, Jun 1 2013, 12:00)

It sounds like the Breaking of the Fellowship track from LOTR.

It sounds like it at first, but it isn't, The Hobbit has it's own soundtrack, and I like that one, I just can't browse through all the soundtrack to find it, It has a nice Hobbity theme smile.gif

Artful.
  • Artful.

=AoD=

• Members
  • England

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:50 PM

I'm surprised nobody has posted this yet.

Evangeline Lily inlove.gif . I must say though, putting Legolas in was a bad move; He looks fatter and older than he did in the Lord of the Rings. Meh, other than that it looks like it'll be another really good film.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Born to kick your ass

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:24 AM

Although I like "Kate", why do they have to puts this character in this? It almost feels like it's just an excuse to give Orlando Bloom a love interest.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users