Is GTA5 too much for consoles?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
50 replies to this topic
Realazio
  • Realazio

Darkness

• Members

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:54 AM

I mean, we all know that consoles cannot keep up and are not intended to keep up with PC-s...

PC is superior in terms of power processing graphic and other things. So looking at current gen consoles ( mostly x360 ) they came to the limit. The first thing is Battlefield 3..on consoles it looks like sh*t compared to PC...so thinking that GTA5 will be bigger then GTA4 brings questions. Are consoles limiting GTA? Meybe they could do all three cities instead of one, meybe they can make an even bigger map than GTA5 is going to be, meybe they can make even more things intro game, even better graphic and stuff but they are limited to what consoles can. Becouse we all know that consoles are today the main income due to high piracy on PC.

Some of you may say "why limit PC to consoles?"....

First of all i am sure all of as would love to have the same game on every platform. Well the PC version will have better graphic and some other stuff, but nothing more, just graphic.

Also there is the question every PC games is asking? Will PC be released on same time as consoles...

From my point of view i think not, but i would like to.

But..there is always a but....

RAGE engine is more optimized then back in GTA4 days, so meybe we wont see a big delay, meybe even the same release of consoles and PC version.

The only real thing is that we must wait. Please share your vision, questions or anything regarding this topic. Tnx for reading

Nem_Wan
  • Nem_Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:01 AM

It doesn't matter because even if there was a Star Trek holodeck it would still be "holding back" GTA. The scale and detail and interactivity of an open-world game is potentially unlimited and Rockstar will push whatever platform they're on to its limits. There will never be enough draw distance or enough speed to be like real life over a big enough area that you don't see the limits.

The current console generation is where the money is that will pay for GTA V's development. If a new console generation came out tomorrow it would take 2 or 3 times as long for Rockstar to make as much money because it would take at least that long for the installed base of the new console(s) to grow. The current gen didn't reach a size comparable to the previous gen until this year!

Gtaman_92
  • Gtaman_92

Picture me rollin.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:02 AM

Gta will never be too much for consoles. Sure the rage engine could be massively improve to the point that it will have to have some setbacks but gta got its start on the consoles and R* will find a way to make it better but not overwhelming to the point where it can only be limited to pc because of the advanced hardware it has. Without consoles, gta wont be able to sell, so do you understand that now?

Realazio
  • Realazio

Darkness

• Members

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:05 AM Edited by Realazio, 14 December 2011 - 02:25 AM.

QUOTE (Gtaman_92 @ Wednesday, Dec 14 2011, 02:02)
Gta will never be too much for consoles. Sure the rage engine could be massively improve to the point that it will have to have some setbacks but gta got its start on the consoles and R* will find a way to make it better but not overwhelming to the point where it can only be limited to pc because of the advanced hardware it has. Without consoles, gta wont be able to sell, so do you understand that now?

I understand that but, the real thing is, why console makers dont push a bit more so consoles can get a bit closer to PC hardware in terms of running better and more graphical/engine things.

GTA started on PC:) Later consoles come:)
But now due to high piracy PC is behind consoles:)

Vidiz
  • Vidiz

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:14 AM

QUOTE (Realazio @ Wednesday, Dec 14 2011, 02:05)
QUOTE (Gtaman_92 @ Wednesday, Dec 14 2011, 02:02)

I understand that but, the real thing is, why console makers dont push a bit more so consoles can get a bit closer to PC hardware in terms of running better and more graphical/engine things.

GTA started on PC:) Then there was not a single console smile.gif )
But now due to high piracy PC is behind consoles:)

The only "limit" is disc space, and there are work arounds to that. Sure they aren't as powerful as the latest gaming PC's but you can't really blame Microsoft or Sony for that, the Xbox and PS3 are over 5 years old now so of course their hardware has become dated. Consoles can't use the latest hardware either, it's too expensive and the parts have to go through extensive testing to see how they work together which can take months to do, so parts have to be selected with price, reliability and performance in mind months before the console launches. We've all see what happens when this is rushed with the RRoD problems (not console bashing, I own a 360 my self). And the reason why PC is far behind consoles in terms of software sales is because PC's are too expensive for someone who just wants to play the latest games without worrying.

llllI1llllI1
  • llllI1llllI1

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:17 AM

QUOTE (Gtaman_92 @ Tuesday, Dec 13 2011, 20:02)

Why do people keep saying GTA started on consoles? More people think it started on PlayStation.. Hell, even Jack Tretton, the CEO of SCEA thinks GTA started on PlayStation.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:20 AM

QUOTE (sibs44 @ Tuesday, Dec 13 2011, 23:17)

Why do people keep saying GTA started on consoles? More people think it started on PlayStation.. Hell, even Jack Tretton, the CEO of SCEA thinks GTA started on PlayStation.

GTA1 was first released in PC, few months later PS1. So, unless he meant RAGE, he said nonsense.

Gtaman_92
  • Gtaman_92

Picture me rollin.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:27 AM

QUOTE (goin-god @ Wednesday, Dec 14 2011, 02:20)
QUOTE (sibs44 @ Tuesday, Dec 13 2011, 23:17)

GTA1 was first released in PC, few months later PS1. So, unless he meant RAGE, he said nonsense.

Ima clearify my statement, gta was not well known until games like vice city and san andreas hit the ps2 which back then was the most sought after console so that what i mean by gta getting its start on consoles.

NoxiousWR
  • NoxiousWR

Snitch

• Members

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:27 AM

Things have changed since pre-2008. They can compress information etc to fit on discs a lot better now than when they were making GTA IV so to say the map won't be bigger than IV is silly, I can 100% guarantee you that the map will be bigger than IV and more detailed smile.gif Take a look at skyrim and how big/detailed that is, and it fits on one disc on the 360, so if they have to they could use multiple discs but whatever the outcome, they've stated it'll be a "very big map" so GTA V will be a very good game regardless.

The Scottish Guy
  • The Scottish Guy

Toasty!

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:28 AM

GTA was originally developed for consoles. And that's the way it'll always be.

RomansMoobs
  • RomansMoobs

Playa

• Members

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:52 AM

Soooo that's why the PC versions of pretty much every GTA game has been released 6-7 months later...

and to answer your question...

NO!

VLongo92
  • VLongo92

California Love. Show it.

• Members

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:48 AM

Meybe

mostly x360

It hurts to laugh this hard.

Gtaplayaminigun
  • Gtaplayaminigun

Buster

• Members

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:56 AM

QUOTE (The Scottish Guy @ Wednesday, Dec 14 2011, 07:58)

So you say sir...
On topic, yes they do hold back. They already had a frame rate issue back in iv. So, it is expected.

UberChargedCJ
  • UberChargedCJ

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:53 AM

i would plan to buy a xbox 360 because i cant play on my PS3 because of cables

JoshGTAfreak
  • JoshGTAfreak

Homie

• Members

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:09 AM

I think the OP has really poor grammar skills.

UberChargedCJ
  • UberChargedCJ

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:11 AM

QUOTE (JoshGTAfreak @ Wednesday, Dec 14 2011, 06:09)

same

JoshGTAfreak
  • JoshGTAfreak

Homie

• Members

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:17 AM

QUOTE (UberChargedCJ @ Wednesday, Dec 14 2011, 17:11)

same

That's ironic, considering you have terrible spelling/grammar yourself...

UberChargedCJ
  • UberChargedCJ

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:20 AM

QUOTE (JoshGTAfreak @ Wednesday, Dec 14 2011, 06:17)

same

f*ck me (not in sexual context)

JoshGTAfreak
  • JoshGTAfreak

Homie

• Members

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:22 AM

QUOTE (UberChargedCJ @ Wednesday, Dec 14 2011, 17:20)

same

I believe the phrase is "f*ck you". By the way, you're too young to be swearing!!

UberChargedCJ
  • UberChargedCJ

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:24 AM

QUOTE (JoshGTAfreak @ Wednesday, Dec 14 2011, 06:22)

same

I believe the phrase is "f*ck you". By the way, you're too young to be swearing!!

user posted image

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:24 AM

Yeah it's too powerful, instead they are going to just release an empty box and make us sit in silence and use the power of our imagination to play the game out in our heads.

JoshGTAfreak
  • JoshGTAfreak

Homie

• Members

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:33 AM

QUOTE (UberChargedCJ @ Wednesday, Dec 14 2011, 17:24)

same

user posted image

Ahh, I see, you're a kid who thinks he's tough for swearing wink.gif Question, do you get bullied at school?

UberChargedCJ
  • UberChargedCJ

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:34 AM

QUOTE (JoshGTAfreak @ Wednesday, Dec 14 2011, 06:33)
QUOTE (UberChargedCJ @ Wednesday, Dec 14 2011, 17:24)

same

user posted image

Ahh, I see, you're a kid who thinks he's tough for swearing wink.gif Question, do you get bullied at school?

nope i wasn't in school in this year

D-man7
  • D-man7

Snitch

• Members

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:55 AM

'mostly the 360'

Just to correct you the 360 is about the same power as the PS3 though many devs say the 360 is more powerful

both have there advantages and disadvantages

360 > better GPU unified RAM
PS3 > better CPU

As for your question

I think, yes R* could do more on a pc but that in itself would create disadvantages, such as

The recommend specs would needs to be quite high making the market smaller( when the pc market is already a lot smaller then consoles)
With the enormous investment GTA5 will require they might not even sell enough copies on the pc to make a decent profit.
You could say the same thing about any game.
GTA4 was new ground for R* and we have not seen the best of GTA on this generation (look at the improvements RDR made)

So you are right GTA5 exclusively on the PC may see a more true rendition of R*s vision,

but the larger install base of consoles is more important then better hardware.

After all this is business.

xNewtype Acex
  • xNewtype Acex

Buckle Up, Homestuck

• Members

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:15 AM

QUOTE (The Scottish Guy @ Tuesday, Dec 13 2011, 22:28)

Except, you know, that's wrong.

YukiEiri
  • YukiEiri

l33t nekkid skillz...

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:23 AM

QUOTE (NoxiousWR @ Wednesday, Dec 14 2011, 02:27)
Take a look at skyrim and how big/detailed that is, and it fits on one disc on the 360, so if they have to they could use multiple discs but whatever the outcome, they've stated it'll be a "very big map" so GTA V will be a very good game regardless.

Skyrim is smaller than Oblivion.
But since the verticality and details it seems bigger.

Well, at least that's what one gaming mag in Finland said.

xNewtype Acex
  • xNewtype Acex

Buckle Up, Homestuck

• Members

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:33 AM Edited by xNewtype Acex, 14 December 2011 - 07:39 AM.

QUOTE (YukiEiri @ Wednesday, Dec 14 2011, 03:23)
QUOTE (NoxiousWR @ Wednesday, Dec 14 2011, 02:27)
Take a look at skyrim and how big/detailed that is, and it fits on one disc on the 360, so if they have to they could use multiple discs but whatever the outcome, they've stated it'll be a "very big map" so GTA V will be a very good game regardless.

Skyrim is smaller than Oblivion.
But since the verticality and details it seems bigger.

Well, at least that's what one gaming mag in Finland said.

Continuing on with this:

-Skyrim doesn't have to render a fully detailed city full of pedestrians, vehicles, props etc meaning much less disk and processing space used.

-Skyrim seems bigger because you walk (or ride) everywhere, you're not going around at 150+mph.

-Skyrim doesn't have hundreds of radio tracks/ads/audio content that adds massively to the game size.

-Skyrim's textures aren't even that good to begin with, sure they look god from far away, but as soon as you get closer they lose a lot of quality.

-Hell if we go by disk space Skyrim is like 5GB, less than Oblivion's 6GB and much less than GTA IV's 16GB.

Cole Phelps Gta
  • Cole Phelps Gta

#HEEL

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:36 AM

i was thinking about buying skyrim till i found out what it was about not really my cuppa tea

xNewtype Acex
  • xNewtype Acex

Buckle Up, Homestuck

• Members

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:43 AM

QUOTE (Cole Phelps Gta @ Wednesday, Dec 14 2011, 03:36)
i was thinking about buying skyrim till i found out what it was about not really my cuppa tea

It's a good game don't get me wrong, but it could have been so much better.

If you get around to getting it, try to get it on PC, like always the modding community has to finish the game for Bethesda.

BaldadigeAnton
  • BaldadigeAnton

Scientia potentia est

• Members

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:31 AM

QUOTE (xNewtype Acex @ Wednesday, Dec 14 2011, 08:43)
QUOTE (Cole Phelps Gta @ Wednesday, Dec 14 2011, 03:36)

It's a good game don't get me wrong, but it could have been so much better.

If you get around to getting it, try to get it on PC, like always the modding community has to finish the game for Bethesda.

I really hate the fact that consoles aren't like PC's. The modding community always makes superb improvements on vanilla games. Doesn't matter which game it is, mods make it way way way better. Just take a look at Battlefield 2 (Project Reality ), Oblivion, GTA IV, GTA SA, Skyrim and every other game out there. It's too bad that consoles are so fricking limited.

For me, games are never done. Modders make every game last so much more longer and mostly so much more better.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users