Unity

9 replies to this topic
ChopTheDog.
  • ChopTheDog.

War. War never changes.

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:12 PM

Would unity be good to create a horror game? i looked through its gallery and cannot see any horror games dontgetit.gif

or is there a better engine for the horror scene?

Dumbass-Productions
  • Dumbass-Productions

Homie

• Members
  • Austria

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:17 PM

Unity is good for any kind of genre except MMORPGs. Me and my friend are trying to make an FPS. lol.gif

ChopTheDog.
  • ChopTheDog.

War. War never changes.

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE (Dumbass-Productions @ Tuesday, Dec 13 2011, 20:17)
Unity is good for any kind of genre except MMORPGs. Me and my friend are trying to make an FPS. lol.gif

"trying" lol, yeah sure its hard but work hard and you'll achieve an awesome outcome, unity can produce some amazing stuff as seen on the net lol, oh would i be able to produce an over the shoulder perspective, in stead of first person and normal 3rd person?

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:09 PM

Unity is good for anything you can put effort in.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:14 PM

Unreal 3 engine and SDK are free. With good artists, you'll be able to make a much better horror environment in U3 than Unity. It will also be a bit more work, but not excessively so.

You can also try modding, rather than building a stand-alone. In that case, id Tech, Source, or CryEngine can all be fantastic choices, depending on specific environments you're going for. I'm sure you've seen enough of each of these to have some idea of what kind of games look better on these engines. Sometimes, an engine can effect the mood of the game more than artists do, so pick carefully.

oh would i be able to produce an over the shoulder perspective, in stead of first person and normal 3rd person?

Yes. Both in Unity and any of the above.

coin-god
  • coin-god

High Roller

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:19 PM

Sure, UDK would be a better choise. But with this questions you realise he is not very experienced, wich means he will probably kill himself trying to put a custom model in UDK.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:23 PM

QUOTE (goin-god @ Tuesday, Dec 13 2011, 19:19)
Sure, UDK would be a better choise. But with this questions you realise he is not very experienced, wich means he will probably kill himself trying to put a custom model in UDK.

Yeah, it is a royal pain. But he's a coder. So long as they have someone who knows how to work with UDK, they'll be fine. And scripting for it... well, it's definitely far from a nice, user-friendly scripting language, but if you have experience coding, you can pick it up without too much difficulty.

Also, having development experience with UDK looks really good on resume/CV. Unity, not so much. So if they are prepared for unique brand of difficulties they'd face with UDK, especially early in development, it could be a better choice in the long run.

Dumbass-Productions
  • Dumbass-Productions

Homie

• Members
  • Austria

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:37 AM

QUOTE (The_Sorrow @ Tuesday, Dec 13 2011, 20:28)
QUOTE (Dumbass-Productions @ Tuesday, Dec 13 2011, 20:17)
Unity is good for any kind of genre except MMORPGs. Me and my friend are trying to make an FPS.  lol.gif

"trying" lol, yeah sure its hard but work hard and you'll achieve an awesome outcome, unity can produce some amazing stuff as seen on the net lol, oh would i be able to produce an over the shoulder perspective, in stead of first person and normal 3rd person?

Of course, but you will need to make an extra camera script.

ChopTheDog.
  • ChopTheDog.

War. War never changes.

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:17 AM

Okay looking at unity and UDK, UKD is used more by professionals but looks a pain to use unless you know what your doing, unity to me looks more user friendly.

I mean gears of war etc have been created using UDK, unity isa more relaxed less serious take on game creating

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:18 AM

Absolutely. If you are serious about making games, you'll need to learn how to use tools of the UDK caliber, but if you're not feeling up to the task right now, it'd be better to make something simple in Unity than fail completely with UDK.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users