Alan Wake - American Nightmare

38 replies to this topic
Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:21 PM

I grabbed the arcade demo and it's great. Seems like a bargain for only 15 bucks.

papanesta
  • papanesta

Cantankerous Chauffeur

• The Precinct

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:48 PM

I was going to grab all the House Party games on release, but they always throw one stinker in, and I'll save more points just waiting instead of getting 800 back for buying them all. So I'll play the final DLC at some point, then get this when it's reduced. Might get the trial anyway, though.

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:56 PM

Just finished Special Feature Episode 2, the ending of it, on PC.
And I gotta say, this game is awesome! Not even beginning about the graphics wink.gif

But ehm, could someone explain me the ending (SPOILER tags)?
And is the American Nightmare a sequel or not? It isn't, right?

papanesta
  • papanesta

Cantankerous Chauffeur

• The Precinct

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:58 AM

QUOTE (Exxon @ Thursday, Feb 23 2012, 18:56)
But ehm, could someone explain me the ending (SPOILER tags)?
And is the American Nightmare a sequel or not? It isn't, right?

I've just replayed both the DLCs for achievements, and I'm addicted to this game all over again. At the end of The Writer Alan manages to get back to himself (I know, right?!) after being seperated by the Dark Place. The part you were playing as was the rational side of Wake, and he had to reunite with the delusional part which was still in the cabin. Wikipedia covers all this:

QUOTE (Wikipedia)
Still trapped in the Dark Place, Alan regains consciousness to find his memories of Bright Falls emerging; after leaving an amalgamation of the Cauldron Lake Lodge and the Andersons' farm, Zane tells Alan he must make his way back to the cabin via a lighthouse. The environments start to become exceedingly surreal and Alan follows Zane's path, avoiding increasing numbers of Taken. Zane warns Alan that the "irrational Alan" is still inside the cabin, controlling the Dark Place, while he himself represents the rational part of Alan; the rational Alan must regain control of the dream for any chance of Alan to escape the Dark Place. The irrational side of Alan attempts to stop him by creating delusions of Alice, extinguishing the lighthouse's light, and sending armies of Taken after him, but with Zane's help, Alan eventually reaches his goal, passing through the lighthouse to reach the cabin.

As he nears the cabin, the imaginary Barry appears and tells Alan that he will have to reject all the illusions before he can face off against the insane version of Alan, including the apparition of Barry. Alan is ready to accept that, forcing Alan to fight Taken illusions of Dr. Hartman, Barry, and the Andersons, defeating them all before he is able to reenter the cabin. His crazed side is in a paranoid state on the cabin floor, and when Alan touches him, the two are made whole again. Alan realizes that he cannot let himself fall into a delusional state again for fear of never being able to escape, and returns to the typewriter to start a new story—"Return".

Zane has helped him realise that his words have power here, so in Return I guess he sets about writing himself a way out. Whether American Nightmare has anything to do with this way out, I'm not sure. From the trial it seems like he has a lot more power there, saying things like "it's about time I went fully automatic" and such.

I'm considering leaving my remaining achievements until after American Nightmare, because I'm really intrigued now.

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:41 AM

Thanks, that cleared the part that I didn't fully understand up icon14.gif

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:38 PM

Got around to the trial demo yesterday, been a while since i played the original AW so it was nice to get back into it. The extra weapons and different types of enemies added a nice change which was needed, i liked how when using the nail gun you could see the nails sticking out of the taken. Thought the end of the demo was great with Club Foot playing and running down the hill with fire and debris everywhere and finally Alan no longer runs like an asthmatic and you can get a decent sprint time from him.

I've become a bit of a tight arse towards download games and DLC, so i'll wait for the price to be reduced.

mrpain
  • mrpain

wub wub

• Zaibatsu

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE (Seddo @ Saturday, Feb 25 2012, 22:38)
Club Foot playing and running down the hill with fire and debris everywhere

Yeah just played the demo too. Being a HUGE MEGA KASABIAN FAN, I was sh*tting myself with awesomeness.

I've never played an Alan Wake game before, the graphics looks freakin superb. How long is American Nightmare? If it's like five hours long, I would be avoiding purchasing it fully.

Cheat
  • Cheat

the only people for me are the mad ones

• The Connection

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:26 PM

So, I finally got around to play AWAN and completed it in a few hours, pretty straightforwards.

First off, allow me to say that it's a huge step up from the original game audiovisually, gameplay-wise and, well, generally. My guess?
If the original game had been anywhere near this impressive in other aspects than just the plot, it would've been far more successful, acclaimed and would've had better sales. At least if RDR never existed, anyways.

However, whereas all the gameplay improvements and the magnificent atmosphere were more like a (very pleasant) surprise, the follow up's real offering, for me at least, as a huge fan of the original game, was what would the plot offer and how, or if, it would fill the mysterious empty spots and gaps in the original game and answer the questions that have been troubling me and hundreds of thousands of players around the world since 2010, and I've got to say that the outcome was just like I anticipated - answering questions with questions. If something, Remedy sure knows how to keep their fans craving for more information. Let's just hope that AWAN can capitalize Remedy enough so that we can actually expect a sequel.

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:23 AM

QUOTE (Cheat @ Sunday, Feb 26 2012, 17:26)
So, I finally got around to play AWAN and completed it in a few hours, pretty straightforwards.

First off, allow me to say that it's a huge step up from the original game audiovisually, gameplay-wise and, well, generally. My guess?
If the original game had been anywhere near this impressive in other aspects than just the plot, it would've been far more successful, acclaimed and would've had better sales. At least if RDR never existed, anyways.

However, whereas all the gameplay improvements and the magnificent atmosphere were more like a (very pleasant) surprise, the follow up's real offering, for me at least, as a huge fan of the original game, was what would the plot offer and how, or if, it would fill the mysterious empty spots and gaps in the original game and answer the questions that have been troubling me and hundreds of thousands of players around the world since 2010, and I've got to say that the outcome was just like I anticipated - answering questions with questions. If something, Remedy sure knows how to keep their fans craving for more information. Let's just hope that AWAN can capitalize Remedy enough so that we can actually expect a sequel.

Keep in mind that American Nightmare's plot has no bearing on the series' main plot. When AW2 comes out Wake will still be in the dark place and Mr Scratch will still have taken over his life. I think AN is just Barry Wheeler's dream or something.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users