The Last of Us

2,242 replies to this topic
fireguy109
  • fireguy109

It's a long way to the top

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:46 AM

Lol chill out guys, no need to go all rabid fanboy on him. tounge.gif If he wants to miss out on a game that's really more of a movie, with underlying messages and exploration of psychological and moral dilemmas because the first part didn't have enough action... that's his prerogative. And hey, it's not like he came in here saying 'TLOU sucks ass lol xbox ftw', he just said it didn't suit his tastes. I think we can at least respect that, no?

GetWoody
  • GetWoody

Hillbilly Heisenburg

• Members

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:58 AM

QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Sunday, Jul 21 2013, 03:21)
QUOTE (GunWrath @ Sunday, Jul 21 2013, 02:44)
Most games that take 3+ hrs to 'pick-up' don't really fancy my needs. Y'all enjoy or glad y'all enjoyed it though.

Your avatar tells me you have neither the emotional literacy, or conscience to appreciate The Last of Us.

Way to be pretentious about a video-game.

OT: I gotta say, 7 years into this gaming generation and I think I'm just done with these cinematic "your girlfriend will think you're watching a movie" games. I only moderately enjoyed the Uncharted games, but after having gotten about six hours into TLOU, I realized I'm just sick of these types of games. Boosting AI partners up onto ledges and pushing ladders, dumpsters, and pallets around just isn't what I call fun gameplay.

Antagonista
  • Antagonista

Back In Business™

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:11 AM

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• The Yardies

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:59 AM

Just lost all my Firefly clan on week 9. Gutted.

Billy james
  • Billy james

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:07 AM Edited by billy james, 22 July 2013 - 03:16 AM.

QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Monday, Jul 22 2013, 13:59)

I was on week six when I lost mine, I made the mistake of not even to attempt the missions

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• The Yardies

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:16 AM

QUOTE (billy james @ Monday, Jul 22 2013, 03:07)

I was on week six when I lost mine

I don't believe it. I'd gotten 9 downs in the match before the hunter attack, so I chose down enemies as the mission. I got 6/9 in three days. Going into the last day I was on 6/9 but it was on my worst map "Downtown" - didn't get a single kill suicidal.gif

Billy james
  • Billy james

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:18 AM Edited by billy james, 22 July 2013 - 06:51 AM.

QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Monday, Jul 22 2013, 14:16)
QUOTE (billy james @ Monday, Jul 22 2013, 03:07)

I was on week six when I lost mine

I don't believe it. I'd gotten 9 downs in the match before the hunter attack, so I chose down enemies as the mission. I got 6/9 in three days. Going into the last day I was on 6/9 but it was on my worst map "Downtown" - didn't get a single kill suicidal.gif

Downtown is alright but I hate checkpoint so much.

Had a couple of matches of Supply Raid and I just got a couple of good melee kills

Just hanging around Gamefaqs and this dip sh*t of a troll keep bad mouthing the game

Here's what he said

TLoU is very similar to Uncharted. Both have the same interactive movie modern video game formula, and linear paths. Set pieces, QTEs, interactive cutscenes, scripted events, etc. Both are cover shooters. The Last of Us guy looks like Nathan Uncharted.

What a load of crap

sandman2020
  • sandman2020

GTAForums Crew

• Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:23 PM Edited by sandman2020, 22 July 2013 - 08:26 PM.

This is a masterpiece I enjoyed it from start to finish.
The multiplayer takes some getting used to I wasn't keen on it at first but its grown on me now, Just finished my hunters journey i was worried about the 100% risk missions before I started but as long as you save the easy missions for the 5 100% risk missions it seems hard to fail at this, just don't waste the easy missions on the other challenges that dont matter and you can always back out to the ps3 Xmb if it looks like your gonna fail and it won't add a day from what I'm told from others. Just started my fireflys journey now does anyone know if the mission tiers get reset on the missions I've already done when I start a new journey? If not that would make it more difficult.

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE (Antagonista @ Sunday, Jul 21 2013, 22:11)

haha icon14.gif

josephene123
  • josephene123

No

• Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:33 PM

How many weeks do you have to survive, or does it just go on and on?

sandman2020
  • sandman2020

GTAForums Crew

• Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE (josephene123 @ Monday, Jul 22 2013, 20:33)
How many weeks do you have to survive, or does it just go on and on?

You have to survive 12 weeks each to complete the hunters and the fireflys journey

GetWoody
  • GetWoody

Hillbilly Heisenburg

• Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:59 PM

QUOTE (billy james @ Monday, Jul 22 2013, 03:18)
Just hanging around Gamefaqs and this dip sh*t of a troll keep bad mouthing the game

Here's what he said

TLoU is very similar to Uncharted. Both have the same interactive movie modern video game formula, and linear paths. Set pieces, QTEs, interactive cutscenes, scripted events, etc. Both are cover shooters. The Last of Us guy looks like Nathan Uncharted.

What a load of crap

Please explain to me how that isn't accurate.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

Muslim

• Members

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:26 AM

QUOTE (AlecOfTheWest @ Monday, Jul 22 2013, 23:59)
QUOTE (billy james @ Monday, Jul 22 2013, 03:18)

Here's what he said

What a load of crap

Please explain to me how that isn't accurate.

Get out of here, troll.
They're the COMPLETE opposite of eachother.
Uncharted is bright and fun while The Last of Us is dark and creepy.
Uncharted is WAY more linear than The Last of Us.
The set pieces. QTEs, interactive cutscenes, scripted events, etc are there because that's Naughty Dog's style of making games.

GetWoody
  • GetWoody

Hillbilly Heisenburg

• Members

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:23 AM

Both games are pretty linear. And a difference in aesthetic hardly qualifies as "complete opposite" as you say.

You can defend QTE's and scripted sequences as "Naughty Dog's style" all you want, but that doesn't mean I can't criticize them for being some of the worst trends in modern gaming. Hopefully with the next generation of games we can move past these silly trends and actually start doing something interesting with games.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• The Yardies

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:52 AM

It doesn't really matter. It's a linear game, and it doesn't pretend to be otherwise. It tells a single story that you have no choices to make in, and there are no story changing consequences as a result. Believe it or not there is room for such games, and those games can be great games too. There are scripted sequences and QTEs in the game, but every single one of those is there for a reason.

What matters - and what makes TLoU one of the great games - is that what you are doing in the game as you play it matches up with the story you are being told through the cutscenes, scripted sequences and game design. It may be heavily story based, but that story couldn't have any of the impact if it wasn't for the way the game was designed.

They didn't just say, "Here's a load of Naughty Dog game mechanics, let's tack on a story to them and call it a game." The level design, inventory management and combat, were changed from previous ND games to be a part of the story and the game as a whole. I honestly don't think there are gameplay elements lacking, or gameplay elements that are superfluous to making it a success at what it does.

Let's take the palette rafting over water - a common complaint - why is that in the game? It's to show that Ellie needs Joel to survive. But we know that - why does it have to be in the game? It's because later in the game Ellie is going to be the only difference between Joel living or dying, and that wouldn't have had half the impact if they didn't set it up.

That's the way the game is designed - to tell the story of a young girl who's getting stronger, and a man whose luck is eventually going to run out - and how her needing him turns into him needing her. You really can't separate the gameplay from the story with The Last of us, they both serve the game and what it's trying to achieve.

GetWoody
  • GetWoody

Hillbilly Heisenburg

• Members

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 11:52)
It doesn't really matter. It's a linear game, and it doesn't pretend to be otherwise. It tells a single story that you have no choices to make in, and there are no story changing consequences as a result. Believe it or not there is room for such games, and those games can be great games too. There are scripted sequences and QTEs in the game, but every single one of those is there for a reason.

What matters - and what makes TLoU one of the great games - is that what you are doing in the game as you play it matches up with the story you are being told through the cutscenes, scripted sequences and game design. It may be heavily story based, but that story couldn't have any of the impact if it wasn't for the way the game was designed.

They didn't just say, "Here's a load of Naughty Dog game mechanics, let's tack on a story to them and call it a game." The level design, inventory management and combat, were changed from previous ND games to be a part of the story and the game as a whole. I honestly don't think there are gameplay elements lacking, or gameplay elements that are superfluous to making it a success at what it does.

Let's take the palette rafting over water - a common complaint - why is that in the game? It's to show that Ellie needs Joel to survive. But we know that - why does it have to be in the game? It's because later in the game Ellie is going to be the only difference between Joel living or dying, and that wouldn't have had half the impact if they didn't set it up.

That's the way the game is designed - to tell the story of a young girl who's getting stronger, and a man whose luck is eventually going to run out - and how her needing him turns into him needing her. You really can't separate the gameplay from the story with The Last of us, they both serve the game and what it's trying to achieve.

Fair enough. It should be noted that I don't think TLoU is a bad game, just horribly overrated.

Billy james
  • Billy james

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:36 AM

Trying to keep my clan alive is terribly difficult, especially when the game starts lagging like crazy and you need to bail the match and then your guys becomes sick and hungry and on top of that I'm only getting 2 or 4 supplies a match

And I'm 50 posts away from 4000

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• The Yardies

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE (billy james @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 11:36)
Trying to keep my clan alive is terribly difficult, especially when the game starts lagging like crazy and you need to bail the match and then your guys becomes sick and hungry and on top of that I'm only getting 2 or 4 supplies a match

What mode do you play on?

Billy james
  • Billy james

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 00:07)

I've started to play on supply raid more, why

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• The Yardies

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE (billy james @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 13:27)

I have a lot more success on Survivors for some reason.

Billy james
  • Billy james

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 00:41)
QUOTE (billy james @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 13:27)

I have a lot more success on Survivors for some reason.

Yeah I noticed that as well, Survivors I got at least 20 - 40 supplies at the end of a match, Supply Raid I get -4 to 8 supplies, I guess I'll head back into Survivors again, see how that works.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

Muslim

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:39 PM

Did the Bloater death remind anyone else of this?

Billy james
  • Billy james

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE (theomenofficial @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 01:39)

That video is blocked for some reason, but I know what your referring to and I didn't really think of it but they are very similar now that I think of it

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

Muslim

• Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE (billy james @ Wednesday, Jul 24 2013, 15:45)
QUOTE (theomenofficial @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 01:39)

That video is blocked for some reason, but I know what your referring to and I didn't really think of it but they are very similar now that I think of it

The King Kong T-Rex death, you can search it up if you want, it's very similar.

fireguy109
  • fireguy109

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:39 AM

Probably already been discussed, but favorite weapons?

My favorite overall is the bow, I love slinking around and wiping guys out. I got the Bow Master tag without even trying, Ellie's chapter especially was super easy with the bow. Second would be the bolt-action rifle with the upgrades, and the flamethrower rounds out my top 3. The shotgun is cool but best for emergencies only, and in addition it can't compare to the FT when it comes to taking down hordes and bloaters. The AR sucked ass, I ended up using mostly my Diablo and rifle in that chapter (Diablo is my favorite handgun, BTW).

Billy james
  • Billy james

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:34 AM

My fave 3 weapons are:

The Shotgun: I've never been a fan of shotguns but in this game makes it a whole better to use it

The Shorty: look above

El Diablo: One shot kill that sends any bad guy flying ten metres

Grand Theft Savage
  • Grand Theft Savage

'Bout that life

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:52 AM

My favorite weapon is definitely the Bow & Arrow. A lot ofpeople complained about how the aiming is lobbed, but I was a pro with that sh*t.
I also enjoyed the Assault Rifle. It didn't unrealistically erupt, like most games. You actually have handle over it until you start spraying.

Billy james
  • Billy james

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

I'm gunna to survivor mode from now on because I can more crap out of it then Supply Raid

fireguy109
  • fireguy109

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:08 PM

I don't really understand how you could go through only crafting shivs and health packs FF, I've been refining my playstyle and I've come to rely mostly on molotovs and the explosives. It's rare for me to even wind up in a fight where I could be injured, I just group'em and burn'em. Then again, I suppose without the manuals this strategy will be far less workable. whatsthat.gif I'm on my second Normal+, I plan on doing this playthrough and getting all artifacts and weapon upgrades, then jumping to survivor mode, where I'll get all the hidden conversations, and finally a Survivor+ for the pendants.

Grand Theft Savage
  • Grand Theft Savage

'Bout that life

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:46 AM

Did anyone see the short film? I'll provide a link, or embed it when I can

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users