Secura
  • Secura

Fallen and Reborn

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:32 AM

QUOTE (Futurama_Freak1 @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 07:19)
Isn't it kinda funny how you can carry multiple Molotov cocktails, literally dozens of bottles of alcohol but only one empty bottle at a time?

I was kinda hoping the brick slot could be upgraded for multiple bottles/bricks.

Yeah, I always thought that perhaps they'd give us a crafting pouch or whatever for specific ingredients, so as to expand the amount of items you can craft; for example one pouch might solely carry the things needed for explosives, freeing up all the space that would've taken up in your inventory.

Corndog93
  • Corndog93

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:13 AM

I'm not looking forward to my survivor Play though, but what ever.

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:43 AM

I always thought the lack of extra bottle/brick space was kind of lame. Especially if you've picked a god hiding spot to take out multiple guys. One thing I noticed though on easy play through the bottles and such respawn instantly after you've picked one up which is a nice touch. Not sure of its the same on other modes though.

I'm going to be playing through the chapters to collect the firefly tags, books and conversations and all of the jazz. Then I'll probably play through on easy+ and then go to hard. Might just go straight to hard after the collectables though.

On then there's MP to try. God I better get out of bed and play haha

Freakorama
  • Freakorama

Freako

• The Yardies
  • Australia

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

user posted image

Gonna put this on sale real soon. I'm making it the most accurate replica I possibly can, unlike other attempts available.

Rusty Balls
  • Rusty Balls

love spuds

• The Precinct
  • Scotland

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE (Booze T @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 17:54)
I agree, it felt really weird to me not being able to walk away from the operation. In fact, I tried to, but the door was closed, so I came back to the doctors and was like "Uhm... I seem to have locked us in, any chance you guys got the key?" It kind of broke the immersion a little bit. It did give Joel more character, but maybe that would've been better done using a cutscene.
Did they expect all players to want to save Ellie or did they want you to go through the experience of being forced to save her?

Throughout the entirety of the game Joel has had to protect Ellie from groups of masked villains and it's of no coincidence that the finale of the game presents us with a group of thee masked surgeons. To Joel, both groups are the same, and I agree. The irony of them exclaiming Joel to be a "monster" as they tried to murder a little girl for their greater good was wonderful.

There's so much to talk about with this game that it's difficult to find the footing to know where to start. Those who knock the setting as being overdone and cliche are not looking hard enough. The world of The Last of Us isn't a post apocalyptic world in a state of decay, it's a world flourishing, vibrant and full of life as nature pushes against human civilization and takes the world back. The infected, not mindless zombies, but the method of a fungus trying to spread itself. Nature against civilization is the theme, not nature against humanity.

It's again of no coincidence that the more successful humans in the world are the ones not simply hiding or fighting but are more importantly attempting to live in unison with nature - Tommy's group at the hydroelectric plant, and of course Ellie the last beacon of humanity, someone who has retained her humanity when so many have lost theirs, is immune.

It's this humanity that Joel chooses to save come the end, rather than to attempt to save a civilization with violence and destruction so ingrained in it to makeup. A civilization that wants to violently retake the world in the terrorist/"freedom fighter" group the fireflies and destroy the life of an innocent young girl to do so.

Once again it can be of no coincidence that the final assailants in the game are masked military. It was masked military that took the life of Joel's daughter twenty years prior and sent him on his way to becoming the cold and clinical, inhumane smuggler he had adopted for himself in his effort to survive. Yet in the finale of the game Joel abandons his previous person and becomes someone willing to do anything to save the life of his surrogate daughter. In that moment Joel is himself, more human that he has ever been in the last twenty years.

The ending scene shows Joel with Ellie ready to live out the rest of his life, and where has he chosen to do this? Of course, the hydroelectric plant. Humanity living in unison with nature.

Perfect, And people want the player choice to play out this wonderful conclusion to this marvelous story differently?

Ok.

Booze
  • Booze

Backlashing with a bullet full of love

• Angels of Death MC
  • Netherlands

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:53 PM

No, I'm merely questioning the decision to make it interactive as opposed to a cutscene. It's not like in the end of Metal Solid 3, !MGS 3 ENDING SPOILER! where you know you have to do it, but it's still hard. It made perfect sense during that particular scene to have the player pull the trigger. Continuing with The Last of Us: But with The Last of Us, I'm wondering if it wouldn't have been better to make that moment more cinematic, to have the character Joel play that out for you without the game (already) forcing you to think about what you would've done in that situation. Apart from that, it would've been a nice opportunity to show the kind of emotions Joel was going through at that moment if they would've used a pre-rendered cutscene like they did for the other strong emotional story moments (maybe they did, but apparently only if you move towards the doctor. What I did was shoot him in the knee in an attempt to incapacitate him, not kill him, which I guess canceled that particular cutscene).

Corndog93
  • Corndog93

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

So I just finished listening to IGN Aussie Pubcast and there dissection of the game and specifically the ending was much better then those ignoramus's the US IGN, I suggest you all check it out

http://www.ign.com/a...-classification

They start to talk about it in the last 40 minutes

Rusty Balls
  • Rusty Balls

love spuds

• The Precinct
  • Scotland

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE (Booze T @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 12:53)
No, I'm merely questioning the decision to make it interactive as opposed to a cutscene. It's not like in the end of Metal Solid 3, !MGS 3 ENDING SPOILER! where you know you have to do it, but it's still hard. It made perfect sense during that particular scene to have the player pull the trigger. Continuing with The Last of Us: But with The Last of Us, I'm wondering if it wouldn't have been better to make that moment more cinematic, to have the character Joel play that out for you without the game (already) forcing you to think about what you would've done in that situation. Apart from that, it would've been a nice opportunity to show the kind of emotions Joel was going through at that moment if they would've used a pre-rendered cutscene like they did for the other strong emotional story moments (maybe they did, but apparently only if you move towards the doctor. What I did was shoot him in the knee in an attempt to incapacitate him, not kill him, which I guess canceled that particular cutscene).

They are very much the game's final boss, and what a clever idea they were. In them is represented everything Joel has chosen to reject. What a huge disservice it would have been not to have the player themselves burden that responsibility of their fate.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

This game really does look quite cool. What do you guys think of it? I havent managed to go out and buy it yet. tounge2.gif

Corndog93
  • Corndog93

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE (GTAKid667 @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 02:12)
This game really does look quite cool. What do you guys think of it? I havent managed to go out and buy it yet. tounge2.gif

My answer is buy the game

the_grizzly_man
  • the_grizzly_man

Snitch

• Members

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (GTAKid667 @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 16:12)

I found it to be an exceptional game - easily one of the best games available on PS3. It's beautifully made and is a bit of a masterclass in how to tell a story and get the gamer immersed in it. Buy it. Play it.

meta187
  • meta187

Challenge Convention, Question Authority.

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Gaming] 2013
    Best Member in a Group 2010

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE (Rusty Balls @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 13:50)
They are very much the game's final boss, and what a clever idea they were. In them is represented everything Joel has chosen to reject. What a huge disservice it would have been not to have the player themselves burden that responsibility of their fate.

I'd have to agree.

In a humanistic way, forcing your hands to carry out such an awkward, uncomfortable moment gives you a full appreciation for what Joel is willing to do in that desperate moment, how he's willing to make selfish, brutal decisions for the sake of preserving those he cares about even against their better judgement.
In that, this game left me feeling very out of sorts in a good way. There are no clear heroes or villains in the end just people with their own motivations and priorities in regards to survival. If you listen to all of Marlene's recordings hidden throughout the hospital she's clearly conflicted and no where near as ruthless as we'd want her to be to make Joel's final choice feel satisfying. Joel knows that she sincerely believes she is doing the right thing and that she may in fact be right but despite all of that he carries forward with his actions. The ending feels very human, flawed and selfish as we all can potentially be when forced to lose the ones we love. Wouldn't change a thing about it.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE (the_grizzly_man @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 15:40)
QUOTE (GTAKid667 @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 16:12)

I found it to be an exceptional game - easily one of the best games available on PS3. It's beautifully made and is a bit of a masterclass in how to tell a story and get the gamer immersed in it. Buy it. Play it.

Thanks for the reply, I am definitely planning to go out and buy the game soon, just haven't yet tounge2.gif

Booze
  • Booze

Backlashing with a bullet full of love

• Angels of Death MC
  • Netherlands

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:09 AM

I can see where you're coming from, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it made me feel disconnected from the character.

Grand Theft Savage
  • Grand Theft Savage

'Bout that life

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:13 AM

QUOTE (GTAKid667 @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 15:12)

Awesome as hell. Some people overrate the game, but it's really good. Definitely worth buying.

Corndog93
  • Corndog93

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:15 PM Edited by billy james, 02 July 2013 - 02:41 PM.

Ok I've started Survivor mode and the only differences are limited supplies (which is really pissing me off), No buttons show up when you go to grab someone, to be frank I thought I would've die like a billion times, nope I've only die like 12 times (all due to ridiculous reasons)

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:31 PM

Well, if you've played on a different mode where it shows you what buttons are when you've grabbed someone then you should really remember by now? I know I got the hang of it all after about 2 encounters. My suggestion is not to waste shivs and ammo when you could take a little extra time to kill someone with stealth.

buzbegone
  • buzbegone

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

QUOTE (Rebel @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 23:31)
My suggestion is not to waste shivs and ammo when you could take a little extra time to kill someone with stealth.

What about when it comes to clickers?

I'd be in a room surrounded by them with basically 6 shivs at my disposal but I'm faced with either: taking them all down then allowing safe passage to loot the room or sneak by, risk a heart attack while kicking myself for not looting the room. Guess that's an option for the next playthrough.
It's a bit annoying how I can't differentiate regular infected and clickers when using the hearing ability. Just when I think it's safe, 'oh wait, they can see me and they're charging at me'.

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:36 PM

Yeah sorry save the shivs for the clickers. Not the normal ones or humans. I thought you could differentiate between clickers and normals? I think the clickers have those circles around the heads while the others dont?

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

I'm back as a changed man.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:41 PM

I'm getting The Last of Us tomorrow but I can't play until August 9 or 10. (Eid-ul-Fitr).

JTbrokerbridge
  • JTbrokerbridge

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:53 PM

Got it yesterday... Im hooked inlove.gif

Corndog93
  • Corndog93

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:10 AM

QUOTE (theomenofficial @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 06:41)
I'm getting The Last of Us tomorrow but I can't play until August 9 or 10. (Eid-ul-Fitr).

Why can't you play it until then

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

The fall is FAST and STEEP

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:28 AM

You guys think the first gen PS3s are still worth it. Mine(40GB) has been broken for a  while and I'm too lazy to fix it. tounge.gif Sold all my games and I'm going to offer my nephew $100 for his 60GB one. Anyone with a first gen experience issues when playing newer games like The Last of Us and such?

No one answered in the PS3 topic so I was hoping you chaps would help me.

enjoithepain
  • enjoithepain

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:47 AM

QUOTE (Erebos @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 18:28)
You guys think the first gen PS3s are still worth it. Mine(40GB) has been broken for a  while and I'm too lazy to fix it. tounge.gif Sold all my games and I'm going to offer my nephew $100 for his 60GB one. Anyone with a first gen experience issues when playing newer games like The Last of Us and such?

No one answered in the PS3 topic so I was hoping you chaps would help me.

I have the first gen PS3, had it since the launch year, and I've never had a problem with it. Also, they are backwards compatible which is a nice feature. I play The Last of Us and other newer titles on it without any problems icon14.gif

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:59 AM

QUOTE (billy james @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 02:10)

It's my Eid gift.
I'm getting it because I can hopefully keep all 30 fasts in Ramadan.

Corndog93
  • Corndog93

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:13 AM

QUOTE (theomenofficial @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 16:59)

It's my Eid gift.

Is that some sort of religious thing

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:26 AM

QUOTE (billy james @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 07:13)
QUOTE (theomenofficial @ Wednesday, Jul 3 2013, 16:59)

It's my Eid gift.

Is that some sort of religious thing

Yeah, it's a Muslim religious thing.

Freakorama
  • Freakorama

Freako

• The Yardies
  • Australia

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:54 AM

I wonder why there were no religious zealots in The Last of Us.
Even after the apocalypse there should be those nutters that preach to believe in made up sh*t.

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

I guess they couldn't be arsed to offend any religious group.

Corndog93
  • Corndog93

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:16 AM

Another major problem I'm having with survivor mode is the only gun I have ammo for is the same pistol you start the game with, yeah it seem it seem ironic but it's pissing me off that I don't have ammo for the other weapons, to anyone wanting to Platnum the game, don't it not worth it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users