Photo

Heat

47 replies to this topic
Jeeebuuus
  • Jeeebuuus

AKA So-crates

• Members

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:31 AM

Hello fellow fans. I have mentioned this idea on and off for about two weeks now and I thought I would lay my case out thoroughly. I think that V is loosley based off the movie "Heat". Other GTA games were based off of movies to a certain extent. VC was "Scarface", SA was "Boyz in the Hood" and "Menace to Society", IV was "The Proffesional"(probably). Based off of the V trailer this is what I have noticed.

The likely protagonist is a 40 something white male who says he has moved to LS(Los Angeles) to retire from the criminal life he has led. In "Heat", Robert DeNiro(Neil McCauley) is trying to retire from being a criminal and move out of L.A.(where the movie is set) to start a new life with his new girlfriend but the life won't let him(his fault).

Some of the scenes in the trailer are very similar to scenes right out of "Heat". The port scene is there and the freeway underpasses(where the hobos live in tents in V) are in two scenes. The big freeway underpass scene is when they rob an armored car. Neil works with a four man crew when the missions go down and in this scene they use a small ambulance which is the model of van in the jewelry store heist in V. They are wearing hockey masks while in V they wear masks that suit their costumes(and they are a four man crew as well).

The mission in IV called "Three Leaf Clover" is similar to the bank robbery scene in "Heat" and could be foreshadowing the inspiration for the story, at least in part, of V. Tom Sizemores character wields an AK-47 style assault rifle in that scene(like in V). The bank robbery spills out into the streets of downtown L.A. which looks very similar to the scene in the trailer of V where the guys are leaning against the wall(which says Los Santos in big letters).

If you watch the movie, which has alot of A list actors including Val Kilmer and Al Pacino, it is like a GTA game turned into a movie, even though it was released in 1995. Does this seem reasonable and can anybody think of a movie better suited to be the inspiration of V's story?

pariah87
  • pariah87

Chosen one

• Members

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:34 AM

I think you're looking into it too much. Saying IV is based off of The Professional is where you lost me.

Where I believe these games took inspirations from some of these, I don't think any of them are really based off of something.

Steve.0
  • Steve.0

Lookin California, Feelin Minnesota

• Members

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:34 AM

Hopefully so, i for one love Heat as its one of my favorite movies of all time tounge.gif

Also the weapon Tom Sizemore wielded in the bank job scene was IMI Galil ARM

JoshGTAfreak
  • JoshGTAfreak

Homie

• Members

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:35 AM

I hope not confused.gif I'd rather see a non-movie inspired storyline for once.

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

The boatman stays with the boat.

• Members

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:35 AM

A lot of your evidence is locations from the movie being in V. With Los Santos being based on LA, locations from LA WILL be in LS.

Anyways, GTA doesn't really have to be based on a movie. Rockstar can pick whatever they like from different movies and translate it into the game. To be honest I think you're putting WAY too much thought into this.

Leve-O
  • Leve-O

Sic Parvis Magna

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:42 AM

I'm sure V will have some similarities with Heat, because the city is based off of Los Angeles. But I'm not too sure the story will be inspired by it. We already got our Heat inspired shootout in IV.

The story I currently visualise in my head is about a man who already knows his soul is doomed, so he continues to embrace the life of crime. Kind of like a reverse story of Red Dead Redemption. John Marsten tried to redeem himself of his criminal past, whereas the V protagonist knows he can't change.

A leopard can't change its spots.

Jeeebuuus
  • Jeeebuuus

AKA So-crates

• Members

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:44 AM

QUOTE (Leve-O @ Sunday, Dec 4 2011, 02:42)
I'm sure V will have some similarities with Heat, because the city is based off of Los Angeles. But I'm not too sure the story will be inspired by it. We already got our Heat inspired shootout in IV.

The story I currently visualise in my head is about a man who already knows his soul is doomed, so he continues to embrace the life of crime. Kind of like a reverse story of Red Dead Redemption. John Marsten tried to redeem himself of his criminal past, whereas the V protagonist knows he can't change.

A leopard can't change its spots.

Yeah, some similiar elements. I figured I'd lay it all out there and give something new to ponder.

Johnny Playert
  • Johnny Playert

BIGGOS_010

• The Yardies
  • Netherlands
  • Best Snapmatic [Character] 2013

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:53 AM

Yes, the man in the trailer really made me think of DeNiro's character in Heat, a caucasian, middle-aged professional criminal. Would love to see a story like that in GTA V. Which i'm already kinda expecting at this point, even though there's no info. Just a gutfeeling.

GREAT f*cking movie btw smile.gif

Black Sunshine
  • Black Sunshine

You made me master of the world where you exist

• Members

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:55 AM

QUOTE (Steve.0 @ Sunday, Dec 4 2011, 02:34)
Hopefully so, i for one love Heat as its one of my favorite movies of all time tounge.gif

Are you feeling Outshined?

Jeeebuuus
  • Jeeebuuus

AKA So-crates

• Members

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:57 AM

QUOTE (Johnny Playert @ Sunday, Dec 4 2011, 02:53)
Yes, the man in the trailer really made me think of DeNiro's character in Heat, a caucasian, middle-aged professional criminal. Would love to see a story like that in GTA V. Which i'm already kinda expecting at this point, even though there's no info. Just a gutfeeling.

GREAT f*cking movie btw smile.gif

It is a great f*cking movie smile.gif . I can't think of any other that is similar to what we already know.

Steve.0
  • Steve.0

Lookin California, Feelin Minnesota

• Members

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:56 AM

QUOTE (Black Sunshine @ Sunday, Dec 4 2011, 02:55)
QUOTE (Steve.0 @ Sunday, Dec 4 2011, 02:34)
Hopefully so, i for one love Heat as its one of my favorite movies of all time  tounge.gif

Are you feeling Outshined?

Haha yes I am! cookie.gif for noticing the reference:)

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:03 AM

I've also been suggesting the idea that since that trailer, it's feeling more like Ray Liotta in GOODFELLAS, but with a slightly older guy, trying to get away from the less then legit lifestyle trappings. I suggest that he's trying to hold down the appearance of a respectable business man, but he's got ties with criminals, or the mob, crooked cops... you name it, could be any type of seedy lowlife, knowing the Rockstar formula.

Dan Houser who co-writes the scripts said he felt movies should emulate video games, and they'd stop using film for ideas, but that's not entirely likely since just about all manner of story have come to film or TV

Jeeebuuus
  • Jeeebuuus

AKA So-crates

• Members

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:06 AM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Sunday, Dec 4 2011, 04:03)
I've also been suggesting the idea that since that trailer, it's feeling more like Ray Liotta in GOODFELLAS, but with a slightly older guy, trying to get away from the less then legit lifestyle trappings. I suggest that he's trying to hold down the appearance of a respectable business man, but he's got ties with criminals, or the mob, crooked cops... you name it, could be any type of seedy lowlife, knowing the Rockstar formula.

Dan Houser who co-writes the scripts said he felt movies should emulate video games, and they'd stop using film for ideas, but that's not entirely likely since just about all manner of story have come to film or TV

Thats what I've been looking for. Some ideas. Not bad. smile.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:10 AM

The guy who knows he can't change his spots was Niko in GTA IV, he was resigned to his fate, but people kept pushing him in other directions so the GTA IV story made much of that game great. What was outside the storyline is where people felt the game lacked content and longevity I guess

ZombLee
  • ZombLee

I ♥ LC

• Members

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:11 AM

I think you're trying too hard to make it fit your theory. especially the "foreshadowing" part.

Jeeebuuus
  • Jeeebuuus

AKA So-crates

• Members

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:14 AM

QUOTE (ZombLee @ Sunday, Dec 4 2011, 04:11)
I think you're trying too hard to make it fit your theory. especially the "foreshadowing" part.

Thats right. That was a way of saying that R* thinks ahead towards future games. Not trying to say that they have it all planned out ahead of time. This thread was made to let us think of what Hollywood movies does the first trailer remind us of. I wasn't very clear on that. My bad. turn.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:17 AM

The mention or quote I reference from Dan Houser came from someone else in this section, earlier, different topic, but the intent is valid enough, he mentioned that the scripts for the game are more important now then going back to the previous GTAs having bearing on movies in the Homage sense. So, I think some ideas will still seem similar to film. Everyone here enjoyed Heat, some of us enjoyed Scarface, We all like Bond and Die Hard, etc, etc.

Vegetarian Piranha
  • Vegetarian Piranha

Make my day Jew!

• Members

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:30 AM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Sunday, Dec 4 2011, 04:17)
Everyone here enjoyed Heat, some of us enjoyed Scarface, We all like Bond and Die Hard, etc, etc.

havent watched Heat, thats next on my 'Pirate quest'.

Scarface, one of my fav's.

not a fan of Bond.. and the first Die Hard is the best, but 4 has some great effects.

edit: forgot what i was going to say, had something to do with inspirations from movies to games vice versa.

MrcTOtheJ
  • MrcTOtheJ

Cleaning the Trash since '94

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:49 AM

Yeah I'm sure there will be nods to Heat, though I'm sure the game will be quite different. I mean no GTA draws to heavily on a single movie. Except for maybe VC which had a load of Scarface influence, but it also had a proverbial metric f*ck ton of other 80's TV and Movie references too. I'm sure there will be other movie homages too in the movie. (Anyone Rember I need your Clothes Boots and your Motorcycle in IV?)

A bit off topic: I loved Heat, stellar movie, and funny thing people mentioned Die Hard, the first movie I rember seeing as a kid was a VHS is Die Hard 2. (My mom thinks thats why I like GTA so much, I grew up on action movies. tounge.gif )

Jeeebuuus
  • Jeeebuuus

AKA So-crates

• Members

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:53 AM

QUOTE (Mr.c TO the J @ Sunday, Dec 4 2011, 06:49)
Yeah I'm sure there will be nods to Heat, though I'm sure the game will be quite different. I mean no GTA draws to heavily on a single movie. Except for maybe VC which had a load of Scarface influence, but it also had a proverbial metric f*ck ton of other 80's TV and Movie references too. I'm sure there will be other movie homages too in the movie. (Anyone Rember I need your Clothes Boots and your Motorcycle in IV?)

A bit off topic: I loved Heat, stellar movie, and funny thing people mentioned Die Hard, the first movie I rember seeing as a kid was a VHS is Die Hard 2. (My mom thinks thats why I like GTA so much, I grew up on action movies. tounge.gif )

Best comment yet smile.gif . This is what I am looking for.

ThePatriotsGun
  • ThePatriotsGun

Gray Fox

• Members

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:10 AM

Does anyone have a link to the alleged GTA V casting call? I think there was a character on the list who was in a wheelchair and an information vendor. In the movie Heat, there was a character in a wheelchair who sold bank and vault information to Robert DeNiro's character. That's another possible connection between GTA V and Heat.

mediocore
  • mediocore

This is the last dance for mister Lance Vance

• Members

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:13 AM

It's safe to say that GTA took some inspiration from movies and I think in the past some of the games were very closely related but as OP already noticed by saying "probably" IV was pretty much it's own game.

Yeah, there will be movie parodies in the new game, I imagine there'll be quite a lot seeing as we're going to Vinewood but Rockstar's creative team have come a long way since Vice City's Scarface.

Sorry, but I just don't see it happening.

Tipper
  • Tipper

Playa

• Members

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:47 AM

I don't think it will be based that heavily on Heat, but I'm sure there will be some reference. Some one already said that in another thread but they have to make a mission with an armored car robbery just like in the beginning of the movie. They just have to.

But I totally agree that the guy who appears to be the main character looks somewhat like De Niro in Heat, and I'd love to play as such a character.

Rodwasp
  • Rodwasp

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE (Jeeebuuus @ Sunday, Dec 4 2011, 02:31)
I think that V is loosley based off the movie "Heat".

Watched this movie again last night. They may have drawn inspiration from these characters in the manner you describe but there are so many good and interesting films it's difficult to avoid comparison with, if not this film, then some other random movie. The similarities were remarkable enough to make me search the forum, though.

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

GTA0: Unreal on Wheels

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:42 PM

Neil McCauley (De Niro) in the movie Heat was methodical, professional, in control and top of his game as a career criminal and leader of a competent crew.

I hope that GTA V has a protag who is similarly in control. We have had pre-damaged protagonists in all the recent Rockstar games (GTA IV, RDR, LA Noire). That's just a movie mechanism to create drama.

I want to feel good about playing the game and playing the protagonist as a competent, classy winner, not as a character that starts out with a crummy life and ends up worse at the end. That is one way in which I want video games to be different than movies.

One tragic lesson of Heat is that "you just can't get good help these days." Things fell apart when they brought in that whackjob Waingro for the armored car heist. He brought down the whole gang. So, except for Val Kilmer's character, everybody in the crew lost it all, which was a shame.

BTW, from wikipedia, about the film Heat: http://en.wikipedia....eat_(1995_film) "The film is technically a remake of L.A. Takedown, a 1989 made-for-television film which was also written and directed by Mann; the director had been trying to get Heat made for over a decade, and created L.A Takedown as a simplified version after his efforts were unsuccessful."

HydraulicWaRiOr
  • HydraulicWaRiOr

I Left My Wallet In El Segundo

• Members

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:44 PM Edited by HydraulicWaRiOr, 25 February 2012 - 10:49 PM.

"I don't know, therefore Ned Luke." dozingoff.gif

abottig
  • abottig

tinyurl.com/2glbsx

• Members

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:53 PM

GREATEST. SHOOTOUT. EVER.

You gotta check this out if you've never seen it. And if you already have, you'll want to see it again.

CheesyJ
  • CheesyJ

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:02 PM

I personally don't think that any of the GTA games are based off of movies. If they're set in the same city as them, then they may have the odd similarity here and there, as well as a loose reference to that movie, however R* have too much originality and depth in their stories to simply base all of their games off of certain movies. They're better than that in my books.

abottig
  • abottig

tinyurl.com/2glbsx

• Members

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE (CheesyJ @ Saturday, Feb 25 2012, 19:02)
I personally don't think that any of the GTA games are based off of movies. If they're set in the same city as them, then they may have the odd similarity here and there, as well as a loose reference to that movie, however R* have too much originality and depth in their stories to simply base all of their games off of certain movies. They're better than that in my books.

They have said themselves(R*) that GTA is inspired by the movies they love.

There are probably hundreds of movie references tucked into each game.

DeconstruKt
  • DeconstruKt

Snitch

• Members

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:24 AM

QUOTE (abottig @ Saturday, Feb 25 2012, 18:53)
GREATEST. SHOOTOUT. EVER.

You gotta check this out if you've never seen it. And if you already have, you'll want to see it again.

still one of my favorite movies of all time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users