Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Best Poster [Technology / Programming] 2016
    Best Poster [Programming] 2015
    Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 18 September 2016 - 09:47 AM

The problem with game developers (having been one myself) is that they use MS Visual Studio. Often not by choice, because you pretty much have to for XBox development, and supporting multiple dialects at once is problematic. Unfortunately, C++ features are added to MSVS sluggishly. It's better than it used to be, but MSVS 2015 still doesn't support about half of the C++14 features. Although, to their credit, they have dropped support for trigraphs as far back as 2013, and that's a C++17 feature. (This was sarcasm, by the way.)

Worse yet, because games take a while to develop, and Microsoft is very bad at backwards compatibility, game developers very frequently aren't using the latest version of Visual Studio. Last studio I've worked at only switched to MSVS 2012 last year, and they were basically forced into that version by XBOne development. Up to that point, studio was using 2010, which has actual compiler bugs that aren't being fixed by MS because the version is no longer supported. So they had to switch from one outdated version to another, encountering new unsupported compiler bugs along the way, some of which I had to fix personally.

So the problem really isn't with the language so much as with the tools available to game developers for that language. That's not to say that C++ is perfect. But right now, I work at a company that's all C++14 under clang. Between new language features, clang's helpful error messages, and tools like clang-format, it's a completely different work process. I hope, game developers working exclusively on PS4 titles are making the best of this as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users