I think that V should really expand on the street races of past GTA's. Instead of them being an afterthought much like the Vigilante/Taxi mission, I feel they should be a much larger part of the game. I have a few ideas and I hope the rest of you can share yours as well.
The racing scene should have its own branch off of the story. Optional of course but not simply make a phone call and show up at a race. There should be specific contacts for just this area of the game. I am going to play out a scenerio to serve as a template for how I feel it should work. Names and whatnot are just place holders.
During a mission you meet a guy named Alex through a mutual friend. The mission involves some serious driving abilities in a high speed getaway. Alex is impressed and tells you to call him if your ever interested in making some money off your "wheelmanship".
Alex/Racing Introduction Mission
You meet Alex at his body shop and he tells you to take him in his car (Stallion) to a "Street Meet". You show up at an underpass late at night that is packed with people and a large assortment of cars.
- Muscle cars with low rumbling engines, classic racing stripes, and thick fat racing tires.
- Rice burners with bright neon lights, fancy body kits, and custom paint jobs.
- European exotics with super-high gloss paint jobs.
- Crotch rockets with custom rims and fairings, and people "stunting" in the parking lot.
Alex gives a short introduction to a particular member of each crew who, in the future, will become your point of contact for that crew.
- Lee(Rice Burners)-An Asian/American teenager from North Los Santos.
- Freddy(Exotics)-Son of Los Santos' governor.
- Brock(Motorcycles)-A colorful Moto shop owner with no regard for his own well-being.
- Johnny(Muscle Cars)-A 40 year old rough neck
You end up challenging Johnny to a race after he mocks the driving "skills" Alex has bragged about. When you beat him you earn his respect. After the mission Johnny and the rest of the racers invite you to "Come race anytime". You can then call Alex at any time and he will say "Yea there is a meet tonight. Be there at 8" If its daytime it will automatically fade to night and the location will show up on your map. There will be multiple locations throughout Los Santos and the one nearest to you will become the location of the meet.
The Street Meets will be the HUB for the racing missions of the game. It will be set up just like the first time you were there. Every group will be there and if you talk to the respective crew member it will initiate a mission. Each crew has its own style of races and therefore a larger variety of racing missions.
- Johnny's Crew
- Cause maximum damage to opponents. If you place in 1st you will be rewarded with cash for the amount of damage given to other vehicles along with your own. Must place 1st.
- Open fire! Shooting is allowed and other drivers will shoot back. Get 1st place without wrecking or dying.
- Murder a particular driver by forcing him off a cliff on a Mt Chilliad Race. Be carefull not to send yourself to the grave on the way. Placement in race doesnt matter as long as his death looks like an accident.
- Make it downtown before the "Los Santos" bridge raises. May require jumping the bridge.
- Each driver starts on foot in downtown. The first person to successfully boost a car from the Sultan dealership and make it across town to the shipping yard wins. Stealing the car gets an automatic 4 star wanted level for ALL drivers. Roadblocks, spike strips, and choppers will be used.
- Drift down the narrow roads of Mt Chilliad.
- All missions with Freddy will require you take NO DAMAGE. This will increase the difficulty seeing that the races will be set in heavy traffic areas.
- Complete X-number of wheelies before finishing in 1st.
- Race to the top of Mt Chilliad and jump a ramp off the top to parachute into first place at the bottom.
- Race the Narrow sewers of Los Santos.
- Race rooftop to rooftop. There will be small ramps from one to the other. Go too fast and you will overshoot the next building.
Very aggressive drivers. Dont expect to not chip some paint.
The above missions will be pivotal racing plot missions that help the side story progress. But there will also be less story driven missions that involve racing for pink slips.
Racing For Pink Slips
All the vehicles you see at the Street Meet with the exception of a few will be customized versions of standard vehicles you find through out Los Santos. At the meets you will see handfuls of cars for each crew, each one customized and unique. You can challenge any driver for the pink slip to their car. The catch is you need to have the same model car as them to race with. So lets say before you do a mission with Johnny you notice a sweet suped up Cheetah in Freddy's crew. Well next time your on a killing spree in the streets of Los Santos and you notice a Cheetah drive by you can steal it and bring it to Alex's shop. He will store it for you and you can use it to race the next time you are at the meet.
When you win the pink slip of a car it will replace the one you stole at Alex's shop and unlock a customization feature. So lets say the Cheetah you just won had a spoiler and a custom metalic green paint job. Alex will call you and say something like "Hey man I like the new whip. It gave me some ideas. Stop by sometime and Ill show you what I got" Now you will be able to get a variety of similar spoilers and different colored metalic paint jobs from Alex's shop. The more cars you win the more features you unlock to customize with.
This feature will also carry over to motorcycles but slightly different.
Not only can you win the pink slip of a bike to unlock its custom features, but you can also unlock the custom wardrobe of the rider at Brocks clothing store. So if you beat a guy on a PSX with green halogen headlights and the rider has a helmet with a mohawk sticking out, you will unlock both the headlights at Alex's shop, and the helmet at Brock's store.
Brock's Moto Store
- Helmet Visors
- Misc Bike-wear
When you complete all the Street Meet missions you will get any customization for free and you will be able to compete in unlimited randomized races through out Los Santos for cash.
Please let me know what you guys think. If you guys like these ideas I will alter/add more stuff.