Photo

Street Racing

135 replies to this topic
Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:54 PM

I didnt post this in the wishlist because I felt this was a topic worth discussing on its own. Searched and found nothing, please provide link if topic already exists

I think that V should really expand on the street races of past GTA's. Instead of them being an afterthought much like the Vigilante/Taxi mission, I feel they should be a much larger part of the game. I have a few ideas and I hope the rest of you can share yours as well.

The racing scene should have its own branch off of the story. Optional of course but not simply make a phone call and show up at a race. There should be specific contacts for just this area of the game. I am going to play out a scenerio to serve as a template for how I feel it should work. Names and whatnot are just place holders.

During a mission you meet a guy named Alex through a mutual friend. The mission involves some serious driving abilities in a high speed getaway. Alex is impressed and tells you to call him if your ever interested in making some money off your "wheelmanship".

Alex/Racing Introduction Mission

You meet Alex at his body shop and he tells you to take him in his car (Stallion) to a "Street Meet". You show up at an underpass late at night that is packed with people and a large assortment of cars.
  • Muscle cars with low rumbling engines, classic racing stripes, and thick fat racing tires.

• Rice burners with bright neon lights, fancy body kits, and custom paint jobs.

• European exotics with super-high gloss paint jobs.

• Crotch rockets with custom rims and fairings, and people "stunting" in the parking lot.

Alex gives a short introduction to a particular member of each crew who, in the future, will become your point of contact for that crew.
  • Lee(Rice Burners)-An Asian/American teenager from North Los Santos.
  • Freddy(Exotics)-Son of Los Santos' governor.
  • Brock(Motorcycles)-A colorful Moto shop owner with no regard for his own well-being.
  • Johnny(Muscle Cars)-A 40 year old rough neck

You end up challenging Johnny to a race after he mocks the driving "skills" Alex has bragged about. When you beat him you earn his respect. After the mission Johnny and the rest of the racers invite you to "Come race anytime". You can then call Alex at any time and he will say "Yea there is a meet tonight. Be there at 8" If its daytime it will automatically fade to night and the location will show up on your map. There will be multiple locations throughout Los Santos and the one nearest to you will become the location of the meet.

The Street Meets will be the HUB for the racing missions of the game. It will be set up just like the first time you were there. Every group will be there and if you talk to the respective crew member it will initiate a mission. Each crew has its own style of races and therefore a larger variety of racing missions.
    Johnny's Crew
    Very aggressive drivers. Dont expect to not chip some paint.

Mission ideas
  • Cause maximum damage to opponents. If you place in 1st you will be rewarded with cash for the amount of damage given to other vehicles along with your own. Must place 1st.
  • Open fire! Shooting is allowed and other drivers will shoot back. Get 1st place without wrecking or dying.
  • Murder a particular driver by forcing him off a cliff on a Mt Chilliad Race. Be carefull not to send yourself to the grave on the way. Placement in race doesnt matter as long as his death looks like an accident.

Lee's Crew
    Drifting

Mission Ideas
  • Make it downtown before the "Los Santos" bridge raises. May require jumping the bridge.
  • Each driver starts on foot in downtown. The first person to successfully boost a car from the Sultan dealership and make it across town to the shipping yard wins. Stealing the car gets an automatic 4 star wanted level for ALL drivers. Roadblocks, spike strips, and choppers will be used.
  • Drift down the narrow roads of Mt Chilliad.

Freddy's Crew
    Standard racing

Mission Ideas
  • All missions with Freddy will require you take NO DAMAGE. This will increase the difficulty seeing that the races will be set in heavy traffic areas.

Brock's Crew
    Motorcycles

Mission Ideas
  • Complete X-number of wheelies before finishing in 1st.
  • Race to the top of Mt Chilliad and jump a ramp off the top to parachute into first place at the bottom.
  • Race the Narrow sewers of Los Santos.
  • Race rooftop to rooftop. There will be small ramps from one to the other. Go too fast and you will overshoot the next building.

The above missions will be pivotal racing plot missions that help the side story progress. But there will also be less story driven missions that involve racing for pink slips.

Racing For Pink Slips

All the vehicles you see at the Street Meet with the exception of a few will be customized versions of standard vehicles you find through out Los Santos. At the meets you will see handfuls of cars for each crew, each one customized and unique. You can challenge any driver for the pink slip to their car. The catch is you need to have the same model car as them to race with. So lets say before you do a mission with Johnny you notice a sweet suped up Cheetah in Freddy's crew. Well next time your on a killing spree in the streets of Los Santos and you notice a Cheetah drive by you can steal it and bring it to Alex's shop. He will store it for you and you can use it to race the next time you are at the meet.

When you win the pink slip of a car it will replace the one you stole at Alex's shop and unlock a customization feature. So lets say the Cheetah you just won had a spoiler and a custom metalic green paint job. Alex will call you and say something like "Hey man I like the new whip. It gave me some ideas. Stop by sometime and Ill show you what I got" Now you will be able to get a variety of similar spoilers and different colored metalic paint jobs from Alex's shop. The more cars you win the more features you unlock to customize with.

This feature will also carry over to motorcycles but slightly different.

Not only can you win the pink slip of a bike to unlock its custom features, but you can also unlock the custom wardrobe of the rider at Brocks clothing store. So if you beat a guy on a PSX with green halogen headlights and the rider has a helmet with a mohawk sticking out, you will unlock both the headlights at Alex's shop, and the helmet at Brock's store.

Brock's Moto Store
  • Helmets
  • Jackets
  • Gloves
  • Helmet Visors
  • Misc Bike-wear

When you complete all the Street Meet missions you will get any customization for free and you will be able to compete in unlimited randomized races through out Los Santos for cash.

Please let me know what you guys think. If you guys like these ideas I will alter/add more stuff. icon14.gif

Drake1212
  • Drake1212

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:41 PM

Ever played midnight club?
While i think your ideas are good and all, i don't see them fitting into the GTA theme.
I want to steal cars, not win them in pink slips, and get angry when i loose them again.
Don't get me wrong, GTA V must contain some kind of racing, but these ideas seems a little over the top, and would take up too much space, that could have been used on other things.

Coral_City
  • Coral_City

The Don

• Members

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE (Drake1212 @ Tuesday, Nov 22 2011, 13:41)
While i think your ideas are good and all, i don't see them fitting into the GTA theme.
I want to steal cars, not win them in pink slips, and get angry when i loose them again.
Don't get me wrong, GTA V must contain some kind of racing, but these ideas seems a little over the top, and would take up too much space, that could have been used on other things.

F*ck no bro! This sh*t sounds amazing. I'm tired of races just being races, let's integrate them into the storyline!

zzmorg82
  • zzmorg82

In the moment.

• Members

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE (Coral_City @ Tuesday, Nov 22 2011, 17:45)

F*ck no bro! This sh*t sounds amazing. I'm tired of races just being races, let's integrate them into the storyline!

I hear that!!!, I love the idea of it, mabye elimnination aswell.

Dnero
  • Dnero

B4.DA.$$

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (zzmorg82 @ Wednesday, Nov 23 2011, 01:00)

Well in MCLA, there are street racing tournaments across the city.

Put that sh*t on V, it'll be good. It'd be perfect for side missions. Of course, for it to fit the storyline, the player should to be introduced to the street racing world by someone else in the game so the player would know where to get some extra cash.

Coral_City
  • Coral_City

The Don

• Members

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE (DneroJohnson @ Tuesday, Nov 22 2011, 14:13)
QUOTE (zzmorg82 @ Wednesday, Nov 23 2011, 01:00)

Well in MCLA, there are street racing tournaments across the city.

Put that sh*t on V, it'll be good. It'd be perfect for side missions. Of course, for it to fit the storyline, the player should to be introduced to the street racing world by someone else in the game so the player would know where to get some extra cash.

Well, I should have worded my sentence differently, I meant: if they're going to do streetraces, let's have a separate storyline for that, instead of simply doing 12 races for the f*ck of it.

Outraged12
  • Outraged12

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:27 PM

You got a lot of imaganation

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:50 PM Edited by deffpony, 22 November 2011 - 06:59 PM.

QUOTE (Drake1212 @ Tuesday, Nov 22 2011, 17:41)

Hey i understand where your coming fr0m but lemme clear some things up.
  • Will not be a mandatory part of the main story
  • You can still get all the cars in the game without playing these missions. Winning a pink slip only unlocks a customization feature in the body shop. ie:You can steal a regular sentinel and put a custom paint job on it and a body kit. But in the Street Meet you can unlock the Suicide door feature when you race your sentinel against the guy with the suicide door sentinel. The slips only serve as a purpose to unlock customizations.
  • When you win a cars pink slip it will always be stored at Alex's shop. So if you wreck it you can always go back to the shop and pick it up.
I dont think these ideas would take up too much space or are unnecessary. Its Grand Theft Auto. If youve read some of the missions you can see how these features can batter the experience and add value to the in game cars.

edit:@Dnero These are not part of the main story but side missions. And my post says that the introduction will be through a mutual main story character. Alex tells you to contact him if you want to make some extra cash.

"During a mission you meet a guy named Alex through a mutual friend. The mission involves some serious driving abilities in a high speed getaway. Alex is impressed and tells you to call him if your ever interested in making some money off your "wheelmanship". "

Thanks for your opinion and i can understand why you might not want this. icon14.gif

Iroquois
  • Iroquois

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:50 PM

My only input concerning this street racing topics(more specifically about muscle cars):
I wish the muscle cars would be able to do wheelies when they accelerate from 0 m/s from a burnout.

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:55 PM

QUOTE (Iroquois @ Tuesday, Nov 22 2011, 18:50)
My only input concerning this street racing topics(more specifically about muscle cars):
I wish the muscle cars would be able to do wheelies when they accelerate from 0 m/s from a burnout.

Unless an elephant is sitting on the trunk, I don't think that is possible.

zzmorg82
  • zzmorg82

In the moment.

• Members

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:56 PM

THIS TOO!!! icon14.gif

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:56 PM

That could be one of the perks of my scenerio. If you beat a certain driver you will get a torque boost that makes your car wheelie on the starting line.

I could edit my post with a list of custimizations you can obtain with each "crew"

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

Chafing the Chimp is totally natural behaviour!

• Members
  • England

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:24 PM Edited by jamieleng, 22 November 2011 - 07:33 PM.

I just want nitrous oxide to be available all the time. That sh!t gets you high as a motherf*cker!

Seriously though, I'd like to pull up beside certain cars (ones with decals, neon etc.), honk your horn & start an impromptu 1/4 mile drag or a full race.

StickyWickett
  • StickyWickett

VTEC with v-tak

• Members

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:43 PM Edited by StickyWickett, 22 November 2011 - 07:45 PM.

QUOTE (boxmonster @ Tuesday, Nov 22 2011, 18:55)

Drake1212
  • Drake1212

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (deffpony @ Tuesday, Nov 22 2011, 18:50)

Hey i understand where your coming fr0m but lemme clear some things up.
  • Will not be a mandatory part of the main story
  • You can still get all the cars in the game without playing these missions. Winning a pink slip only unlocks a customization feature in the body shop. ie:You can steal a regular sentinel and put a custom paint job on it and a body kit. But in the Street Meet you can unlock the Suicide door feature when you race your sentinel against the guy with the suicide door sentinel. The slips only serve as a purpose to unlock customizations.
  • When you win a cars pink slip it will always be stored at Alex's shop. So if you wreck it you can always go back to the shop and pick it up.
I dont think these ideas would take up too much space or are unnecessary. Its Grand Theft Auto. If youve read some of the missions you can see how these features can batter the experience and add value to the in game cars.

edit:@Dnero These are not part of the main story but side missions. And my post says that the introduction will be through a mutual main story character. Alex tells you to contact him if you want to make some extra cash.

"During a mission you meet a guy named Alex through a mutual friend. The mission involves some serious driving abilities in a high speed getaway. Alex is impressed and tells you to call him if your ever interested in making some money off your "wheelmanship". "

Thanks for your opinion and i can understand why you might not want this. icon14.gif

My biggest argument against this must be, that GTA is simply not a full-time racing game.
You come with very good ideas, but ideas must be implemented.
I guess what i am trying to say, there is a limit to how many features you can cram into a game. You can exceed this limit by dumbing down other systems, graphics or sound.
So while your ideas are good, it seems like a big improvement on the street racing aspect of the game, but they are heavy game-mechanic-wise and gives little to no room for improvement on other things.
I will also say this again: Your ideas sounds like the concept in Midnight Club, wich is also a R* made game, and by implementing the ideas in GTA it would sort of sweep midnight club off the field.
Rockstar is a company after all, they need to have as many succesfull products as possible, in order to make more succesfull products.
In short: Great ideas, but think logical for once.

SGT. Johnson
  • SGT. Johnson

"To Obey and Survive"

• Members

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:57 PM

Ideas are good, however, R* should stick to the way it is in GTA IV, with maybe a few upgrades, such as vehicle customization. It was present in San Andreas for Cesar's first race and again for the first part of the Badlands race.

SGT. Johnson
  • SGT. Johnson

"To Obey and Survive"

• Members

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:05 PM

I mentioned something about this in my "Turning Indicators and More Traffic Realism" thread.

It was under the Open/Close Windows feature.

To expand on this:

Let's take a fake name: Alex.

"Alex drives out of the Pay n Spray with a nicely detailed car. He quickly shifts gears and peels out of the parking lot. After a few miles of driving he spots a local street racer. He approcahes the racer at the next stoplight and rolls down his window. The racer, Cesar (LOL jk biggrin.gif ), asks how much he wants to wager. A small window appears, displaying certain amounts of money along with the length of the track. Once selected, Alex and Cesar rev their engines as the light turns green. Alex beats Cesar by a hubcap, and gets paid $5,000 ($2,500 wager)."

To clarify, the light would remain red until the wager is selected (unrealistic but doesn't disrupt the flow). Also, the menu selction screen and process is similar to how you chose the wager amount for the Lowrider competition in San Andreas.

blowtorchrepair
  • blowtorchrepair

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE (StickyWickett @ Tuesday, Nov 22 2011, 19:43)
QUOTE (boxmonster @ Tuesday, Nov 22 2011, 18:55)

street racing vs. 1/4 or 1/8 mile drag strip = apples vs. oranges smile.gif

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:05 PM

Hmm well i get the consensus is that this is just too much for GTA V. I personally dont think that I have come up with anything radical. The most out there idea was the Street Meet HUB. It isnt about necesarrily having loads of custimized cars and races, but about the way they are presente to us.

Over all the old races sucked. Im tired of showing up to a blip on the map where there are 6 cars waiting to race. Stale

hambones
  • hambones

Every Inch A King

• Members

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:09 PM

QUOTE (jamieleng @ Tuesday, Nov 22 2011, 13:24)
I just want nitrous oxide to be available all the time. That sh!t gets you high as a motherf*cker!

Seriously though, I'd like to pull up beside certain cars (ones with decals, neon etc.), honk your horn & start an impromptu 1/4 mile drag or a full race.

that would be pretty cool. i agree with you on the nos, i drove so fast in SA lol

SGT. Johnson
  • SGT. Johnson

"To Obey and Survive"

• Members

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:19 PM

QUOTE (hambones @ Tuesday, Nov 22 2011, 22:09)
QUOTE (jamieleng @ Tuesday, Nov 22 2011, 13:24)

that would be pretty cool. i agree with you on the nos, i drove so fast in SA lol

The nitrous oxide didn't really make you go much faster. It was more of a cheap blur trick to give you the illusion.

Personally, I'd like to see nitrous oxide return; we had it in GTA IV: TBOGT!

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:39 AM

I really hope that they include a feature that makes the street races have more importance.

JoeJoeMcTwist
  • JoeJoeMcTwist

Sergeant at Arms

• Members

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:25 AM

midnight club pretty much covers your whole post.

I never really did the street racing in the game. Was there muscle car races if you showed up in a muscle car? or were the other racers always in exotics?

M0B5TA
  • M0B5TA

#swag yolo lolz

• Members

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE (deffpony @ Tuesday, Nov 22 2011, 16:54)
[i][SIZE=1]
•Rice burners[/u] with bright neon lights, fancy body kits, and custom paint jobs.

I drive a tuner(correct term for "rice burner") and i take offense in what you said. what you discribed is a ricer( people with body kits flashy lights driving around in loud cars that are slow as hell)

real tuners have nothing to do with bodykits and neon lights.
just putting that out there cryani.gif

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE (M0B5TA @ Monday, Sep 17 2012, 19:41)
[i][SIZE=1]
•Rice burners[/u] with bright neon lights, fancy body kits, and custom paint jobs.

I drive a tuner(correct term for "rice burner") and i take offense in what you said. what you discribed is a ricer( people with body kits flashy lights driving around in loud cars that are slow as hell)

Sry dude, consider it a misinformed mistake

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

Chafing the Chimp is totally natural behaviour!

• Members
  • England

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:12 PM

[i][SIZE=1]

You have The Fast & the Furious to thank for that. I guess all that ostentatious 'Saints Row' crap all over the car is a good way to get noticed by the law.

Ana Belial
  • Ana Belial

426 Max Wedge

• Members

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:00 PM

I like to think of it like this

Tuner:
user posted image

Ricer:
user posted image

JoeJoeMcTwist
  • JoeJoeMcTwist

Sergeant at Arms

• Members

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:51 PM

As long as they hunt and kill dolphins, I'm not buying any Jap crap.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:03 AM

QUOTE (JoeJoeMcTwist @ Monday, Sep 17 2012, 23:51)

lol seriously????

JoeJoeMcTwist
  • JoeJoeMcTwist

Sergeant at Arms

• Members

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:33 AM

QUOTE (deffpony @ Tuesday, Sep 18 2012, 02:03)
QUOTE (JoeJoeMcTwist @ Monday, Sep 17 2012, 23:51)

lol seriously????

dead serious.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users