Quantcast

» «
Photo

Will GTA 5 for PC still be released after console?

22 replies to this topic
webe123
  • webe123

Snitch

• Members

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:22 AM

I was wondering if anybody knew if GTA 5 for PC might be released at the same time as the console version? Or will they make you wait until after?

What do you guys think?

Will they even MAKE a PC version considering what problems GTA 4 for PC had?

I love the PC version because of the mods that are usually made for the GTA PC games, you cannot do those with console versions.

Discuss.

xUSMC SSGTx
  • xUSMC SSGTx

United States Marine Treadhead

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:25 AM

Typically it takes months for the PC version to be released. No reason that should change now.

ccrogers15
  • ccrogers15

REQUESTED BAN

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:27 AM

even though i like console editions better, i think its total bullsh*t that Pc fans get the game later, and the port is shi*ty.
The least they could do is add exclusive features or something cool.

webe123
  • webe123

Snitch

• Members

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:50 AM Edited by webe123, 18 November 2011 - 06:53 AM.

QUOTE (ccrogers15 @ Friday, Nov 18 2011, 06:27)
even though i like console editions better, i think its total bullsh*t that Pc fans get the game later, and the port is shi*ty.

Yeah it would be great if they added something to the game, but if they just made a DECENT PORT for the PC version and had it come out at the same time they built the console versions, that would be great too.

I just don't understand why it is console only first....GTA was originally a PC game.

I think it is usually 8 months or more for a PC version to come out for the other GTA games...that sucks!

webe123
  • webe123

Snitch

• Members

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:41 AM Edited by webe123, 18 November 2011 - 07:52 AM.

Well, I was searching for info on GTA 5 and came across this website.

It has some pretty good explanations as to some of the rumors surrounding GTA 5...worth a read.

http://www.nowgamer....om_fiction.html

At this site, they also theorize because of the quality of the trailer, that the PC could be done at the launch of the game. Here is a quote from the site:

GTA 5 will launch on PS3, Xbox 360

Rumour: Nothing has been confirmed so far, although if GTA 5 is out next year, then its a safe bet that the game will appear on PS3, Xbox 360 and PC. Given the quality of the trailer, it appears that PC will be a launch format, rather than a postponed release six months down the line, but this remains to be seen.

GTA 5 will launch on PC

Rumour: Again, the visual quality of the trailer suggests that GTA will launch on PC, or use the format as its lead platform. However, Rockstar has yet to announce any platforms for the game.

However, an anonymous 4chan forum member stated that they have seen the game running on PC, and explained that, PC comes out on launch and is being ported by [Rockstar] Leeds. From what theyve shown us, it is optimised much better than GTA IV. Rockstar is yet to confirm or deny.

So that is interesting!

It would seem to be Rockstars nod to FINALLY giving PC gamers the same attention they give console gamers for GTA games.

I think it would also be their way of admitting that they basically screwed up making PC gamers wait so long for the PC version of GTA IV, because as it turned out....the PC version was complete CRAP when it first came out...even those with the highest end PC's had problems running the game....and it took four updates to finally get it right.

But that also leads to something else that happened when the PC version was released....it's sales were awful! I think it was partly because the PC version was so "hurried" to get out that it was almost unplayable and also the fact that the console versions had been out so long, people that had PC's barely gave it a second look.

So maybe this time around rockstar decided to try something different...to have PS3, XBox 360 AND PC versions all come out at the same launch date, but this has yet to be seen. I will not hold my breath on this one, but it does seem to be a little bit of hope for PC gamers anyway....even if it is completely false.

We will know when the game is launched what kind of platforms it is using at launch.

OverTheBelow
  • OverTheBelow

OTB "Oaty-Bee"

• Zaibatsu

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:57 AM

uhh, they did?

Video editor, shadow density/night shadows (i.e. dynamic shadows.. not on consoles), vehicle density, independance FM, general graphics customisation etc. The port could've been alot worse. Try Saints Row 2 on PC if you want bad port.

Brawly
  • Brawly

Hustler

• Members

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:02 AM

I will be extremely happy and suprised if the PC version is released simultaneously with the console versions.

webe123
  • webe123

Snitch

• Members

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:10 AM

QUOTE (OverTheBelow @ Friday, Nov 18 2011, 07:57)

uhh, they did?

Video editor, shadow density/night shadows (i.e. dynamic shadows.. not on consoles), vehicle density, independance FM, general graphics customisation etc. The port could've been alot worse. Try Saints Row 2 on PC if you want bad port.

I was one of the PC gamers that bought one of the first PC disks for GTA IV and I can tell you for SURE that the port..... if you want to call it that...was absolutely horrible! And YES, I had way OVER the requirements for the game!

It simply sucked when it came out and took four updates for it to be playable...which was months later!

I know, I played it and still have the original disk....still will not play right without the latest patch!

So even though you point out that it may have had some things consoles did not....the console versions were at least PLAYABLE! Which made all that other stuff you mentioned useless until they finally released a fourth patch that you could play the game at a decent frame rate!

I am hoping that Rockstar has learned their lesson from GTA IV.

"exclusive content" cost them money...money they could have made if they would have released all the platforms at once. It also cost them money to release GTA IV to PC at a way later date.... not many people were interested it by then. But I wanted it for the mods. Though I can certianly see why it was badmouthed by so many PC gamers at first.....that port was simply horrible.

Here's to hoping they don't repeat the same mistakes TWICE!

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Soldier

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:36 AM

QUOTE (OverTheBelow @ Friday, Nov 18 2011, 07:57)

uhh, they did?

^This.

IV on the PC is generally fine if you have a powerful rig - although they probably could have made it less resource intensive to run well on mid spec machines.

Gtaplayaminigun
  • Gtaplayaminigun

Buster

• Members

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:45 AM

Even after all the patches, it still is a crap. To talk about the quality, its performance on the current PCs shouldn't be considered. Performance on the mainstream PCs of the day when the game was released is important. Most people had dual cores back then and even today, it runs with non uniform, crap framerates on those PCs. The patches might have improved it but it still is far from optimized.

Mister Kay
  • Mister Kay

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:49 AM

PC on day one. Believe me even if you can't.

tpl89
  • tpl89

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE (webe123 @ Friday, Nov 18 2011, 06:50)
I just don't understand why it is console only first....

It makes good business sense. The markups on console games are much higher PC. Plus there is much less piracy of console games than there is of PC games. They want to make as much money as possible from PS3/XBOX 360 sales first.

It's the same reason they won't release Red Dead for PC. It will cost them a lot of money to optimise it for PC and yet despite loads of people demanding it on PC a large chunk of them would just download it for free rather than pay 25+ in the shops.

It's sad because the real victims are the people who are actually willing to pay for PC games, we lose out because of the pirates.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:50 AM

QUOTE (Chevy Chasegta6 @ Friday, Nov 18 2011, 19:49)

I think Rockstar will do it right this time, PC gamings popularity is on the rise with steam being very simple and a almost universal digital gaming interface.

The game will be ported well, and hopefully released day 1.

---
As much as you like to blame pirates, the proportion of pirates to people that pay is actually pretty low, and i don't see how delaying the release affects pirating at all, they pirate will not pay for the game either way.

Mister Kay
  • Mister Kay

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE (tpl89 @ Friday, Nov 18 2011, 15:05)
It's the same reason they won't release Red Dead for PC. It will cost them a lot of money to optimise it for PC and yet despite loads of people demanding it on PC a large chunk of them would just download it for free rather than pay 25+ in the shops.

It's sad because the real victims are the people who are actually willing to pay for PC games, we lose out because of the pirates.

Here is one victim. sad.gif I would pay anything to play it on my PC.

Brawly
  • Brawly

Hustler

• Members

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE (tpl89 @ Friday, Nov 18 2011, 09:35)
QUOTE (webe123 @ Friday, Nov 18 2011, 06:50)
I just don't understand why it is console only first....

It makes good business sense. The markups on console games are much higher PC. Plus there is much less piracy of console games than there is of PC games. They want to make as much money as possible from PS3/XBOX 360 sales first.

PC isn't the only one that gets pirated, xbox 360 also has high piracy rates.

Gtaplayaminigun
  • Gtaplayaminigun

Buster

• Members

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:22 AM

Yeah. Lesser sales is just a lame excuse. Call of duty is released on all 3 platforms simultaneously and it still has managed to achieve record breaking sales in all the 3 recent titles.

sanex4
  • sanex4

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE (deepthroatgta6 @ Friday, Nov 18 2011, 08:49)

This guy is right.

PC version will be on day one.

TheTrooth
  • TheTrooth

Snitch

• Members

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:59 AM

Never will be on release day. Never ever. Unless they don't want to make more money and want to cause uproar between those who dont have the access to play the PC version. The version that will have more possibilities (videos and mods) and slightly better graphics.

Think logically, most PC gamers bought IV on a console, then bought it on PC when it came out. If they bought V out PC on release day they are potentially losing half the money they could get out of PC gamers because over time they are buying only 1 copy, being PC. Not console then PC.

Wubbzy
  • Wubbzy

Snitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:38 PM

Rockstar has been supporting the PC platform in recent years more then most with releases such as GTA IV, Manhunt 2 and LA Noire not to mention the upcoming Max Payne 3.

Taking into account Rockstars recent support of the PC platform and it's closest competing series Saints Rows latest installment having a solid, great PC version released on the same day as the console versions it would only make sense for Rockstar to go down the same path.

I just finished playing through the PC version of Saints Row The Third and I've experience 0 issues. It runs awesomely on my system with better performance then GTA IV and Saints Row 2 so I hope Rockstar puts the same amount of effort into the PC version of GTA V that Volition has put into the PC version of Saints Row: The Third.

ivangtaiv
  • ivangtaiv

TheIvaneh

• Members

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE (deepthroatgta6 @ Friday, Nov 18 2011, 08:49)

I believe you.

sanex4
  • sanex4

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:21 PM

current generation of consoles - dies. And PC becomes more important

DML
  • DML

PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:22 PM

Rockstar North used to do the PC ports of GTA themselves. Those particular games (GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas) weren't perfect ports, but they were a damn sight better than GTA IV.

It's high time we saw an end to this console exclusivity bullsh*t. GTA 1 and 2 were developed as cross-platform games (with PC actually getting them first) because in those days, the company hadn't been corrupted by underhanded deals from console manufacturers.

webe123
  • webe123

Snitch

• Members

Posted 19 November 2011 - 02:15 AM Edited by webe123, 19 November 2011 - 02:20 AM.

QUOTE (TheTrooth @ Friday, Nov 18 2011, 11:59)
Never will be on release day. Never ever. Unless they don't want to make more money and want to cause uproar between those who dont have the access to play the PC version. The version that will have more possibilities (videos and mods) and slightly better graphics.

Think logically, most PC gamers bought IV on a console, then bought it on PC when it came out. If they bought V out PC on release day they are potentially losing half the money they could get out of PC gamers because over time they are buying only 1 copy, being PC. Not console then PC.

Really? Have any proof of that? A link of some sort where rockstar states they will never release GTA for PC on day one?

Just because they have not in the past, is no reason they will not in the future.

And how exactly will it cause an "uproar" between console and PC gamers that is not already in place? That does not make ANY sense! It is simple..... if console gamers want to mod their game they can get a PC version on day one if they release it.

If they don't want to put the time or money into getting a good PC, then that is THEIR problem!
But to say a game for all three should not be released is silly.

And I am one who DID NOT get a console version before I got the PC version. You seem to make a lot of assumptions that most PC gamers already have a console, when that is not true!

Piracy is a straw man...always has been always will be.

Sales are another straw man....they could have made much more money if they had of released all three platforms at the same time.

I am in favor of ending the console "first" mentality at rockstar for new GTA games. 'nuff said.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users