Photo

2014 corvette

51 replies to this topic
visionist
  • visionist

Eat A Peach For Hours

• Members

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:48 AM

I like the clever integration of the front sidelight round the wheel arch. Aslong as it remains an affordable nemesis to the German & Italian thoroughbreds I see no problem with its derivative looks. Just make it in RHD already!

Is the XLR any good? Always fancied the sharp look of them over an SL, inside & out.

MrcTOtheJ
  • MrcTOtheJ

Ah yes 'Heists' we have dismissed these claims

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:38 AM Edited by Mr.c TO the J, 04 December 2011 - 05:40 AM.

Yeah I hope it stays as the affordable alternative to it's Euro competitors it has been.

Also yeah they really need to make it RHD for other markets, there was this one C6 that was made for the JDM market only and it was still Left Hand Drive lol. It was some luxury deal, all white interior black paint job. (I'll find a link if anyone's interested, but it was some time ago, so idk if I can find it)

@leik oh em jeez! I agree, the '96 GS was amazing. Heck the C4 is still my favorite generation of Corvette thus far. (Dem Turbo'd Callaways)

visionist
  • visionist

Eat A Peach For Hours

• Members

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:42 PM

I'd love to see that! If you can find a link that'd be Grand, cheers cool.gif

MrcTOtheJ
  • MrcTOtheJ

Ah yes 'Heists' we have dismissed these claims

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:09 AM

Here you go, it took a little diging but I was able to find it with no issues, There where only 30 made it seems 15 white and 15 black.

http://www.corvetteb...vette-SLimited/

visionist
  • visionist

Eat A Peach For Hours

• Members

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:46 PM

Cheers cool.gif The tu-tone cabin lifts the Vette's looks considerably. Here's hoping the C7 finally gets a stylish interior. Hell, the outgoing Malibu has more Funk.

user posted image

Apologies for the stretch.

Marwin
  • Marwin

tilgi dem ikke; de vet hvad de gjør!

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Norway
  • Contribution [Music]

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:48 PM

that gearstick looks like a ballsack

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

Permanent headache.

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (jaysteels @ Wednesday, Dec 7 2011, 13:48)

You have a weird-looking ballsack.

Marwin
  • Marwin

tilgi dem ikke; de vet hvad de gjør!

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Norway
  • Contribution [Music]

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (*MURDOC* @ Wednesday, Dec 7 2011, 20:55)
QUOTE (jaysteels @ Wednesday, Dec 7 2011, 13:48)

You have a weird-looking ballsack.

not the stick itself, but the "skin" going from the stick to the interior

visionist
  • visionist

Eat A Peach For Hours

• Members

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:10 PM

If it puts Americans off Slushboxes, then I'm all for Ballsack shifters.

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO
  • Best Contributor [Vehicles] 2012

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:36 PM

Boot looks very ballsackish.

Also, an auto is something like a vette is vomit inducing.

Senex Iunior
  • Senex Iunior

Living in Vice Point since 2002

• Members

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:24 AM

QUOTE (visionist @ Thursday, Dec 8 2011, 16:10)

I think we'd be less averse to manuals if we drove on the left side of the road and weren't so damn lazy.

Still, clutchless manuals ftw. All the control without the responsibility.

Tuff Luv Capo
  • Tuff Luv Capo

"The chickens are plotting..."

• Feroci
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2014 [Advice with girlfriends]

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:58 AM

QUOTE (Senex Iunior @ Thursday, Dec 8 2011, 22:24)

I think we'd be less averse to manuals if we drove on the left side of the road and weren't so damn lazy.

Still, clutchless manuals ftw. All the control without the responsibility.

Whenever I hear clutchless manual, I think of the people with paddle shifters that slowly command it to the next gear with a noisy thunk after its bounced off of the rev limiter for a few seconds. I've yet to drive a car that changed my mind about that.

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:09 AM

QUOTE (Senex Iunior @ Thursday, Dec 8 2011, 23:24)

Not really sure how the side of the road we're driving on dictates americans not driving manuals as much. Since the majority of people in the world are right handed, I don't see how having a shifter on our left side is going to make us want to drive a manual more. I have no desire to drive a RHD car unless it has an external-mounted shifter like this.

user posted image
user posted image

My right hand is like the greatest thing ever.

Senex Iunior
  • Senex Iunior

Living in Vice Point since 2002

• Members

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:59 AM Edited by Senex Iunior, 09 December 2011 - 06:50 AM.

For most people, it's easier to control the steering wheel with your right hand. I think that had we stayed RHD, more people would use manuals; manuals are just an "inconvenience" to new LHD drivers.

As for clutchless manuals, I'm referring more to Sequentronic-like gearshift systems. Not a fan of paddle shifters either.

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

The boatman stays with the boat.

• Members

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:49 AM

QUOTE (Senex Iunior @ Thursday, Dec 8 2011, 23:59)
For most people, it's easier to control the steering wheel with your right hand. I think that had we stayed RHD, more people would use manuals; manuals just an "inconvenience" to new LHD drivers.

Spinning a wheel is pretty straight forward. But with how f*cking retarded my left arm is, I couldn't imagine trying to shift gears with it. I can steer fine with either hand, but there are some things my left arm/hand can't do. That includes throwing anything, writing, or shifting gears. Only manual I've driven is my father's 01 Silverado 2500HD and that was fairly fun.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Skål, jævler!

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:23 AM

QUOTE (Tuff Luv Capo @ Friday, Dec 9 2011, 04:58)
Whenever I hear clutchless manual, I think of the people with paddle shifters that slowly command it to the next gear with a noisy thunk after its bounced off of the rev limiter for a few seconds. I've yet to drive a car that changed my mind about that.

You mean the sluggish, jerky automated manual transmissions? They're universally awful, agreed, but there are good clutchless, non-automatic transmissions out there. Mostly used in the racing world, mind you. Tend to use dog clutches instead of slipper ones, which means, whilst technically they do have a clutch, it's not operated by the driver in the same way a conventional one is. Besides, isn't an automatic transfer box basically a fluid clutch anyway? The idea of "clutchless" doesn't really make sense to me.

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:00 PM Edited by Lurch, 09 December 2011 - 08:11 PM.

QUOTE (leik oh em jeez! @ Friday, Dec 9 2011, 01:49)
QUOTE (Senex Iunior @ Thursday, Dec 8 2011, 23:59)
For most people, it's easier to control the steering wheel with your right hand. I think that had we stayed RHD, more people would use manuals; manuals just an "inconvenience" to new LHD drivers.

Spinning a wheel is pretty straight forward. But with how f*cking retarded my left arm is, I couldn't imagine trying to shift gears with it. I can steer fine with either hand, but there are some things my left arm/hand can't do. That includes throwing anything, writing, or shifting gears. Only manual I've driven is my father's 01 Silverado 2500HD and that was fairly fun.

Yeah, a wheel only goes two ways. Shifting can be a bit more complicated, especially on high gear trans in trucks where you're constantly range shifting or splitting or shifting 2 speed rear ends.

visionist
  • visionist

Eat A Peach For Hours

• Members

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:33 PM

The problem with Sequentials is exactly that; you're stuck shifting back & forth through a fixed order of gears, as opposed to a MK1 Manual which lets you engage any ratio as you see fit. The solution lies in the past; Porsche (Sportomatic), Volkswagen (Autostick), Saab (Sensonic) and even Ferrari (Valeo) used to offer boxes with a traditional stick in a standard gate, but without a clutch pedal. The systems were highly advanced for the time, incorporating such features as an "Intent To Shift" sensor actuated by grasping the gearlever, which primed the single clutch to swap whichever cog was selected, at a faster or gentler pace based upon many factors: current road speed, throttle position, engine RPM, transmission input & output speeds, release bearing position & shifter position (In & In-between gears). The systems could Idle in-gear and actually learnt the driver's style, adapting readily to it. They even incorporated launch control: step on the gas with the stick in neutral and then slam it into first, leaving a nice sticky black tyre deposit just like a normal burnout. Ferrari even built a single F40 with the Valeo system, allegedly now residing in The Sultan Of Brunei's 6000+ Strong Automotive Stable.

Unfortunately, they didn't catch on: too expensive & unreliable using then contemporary technology. A modern system offering a 6 or even 7 speed gate and Duppelkupplunsgetriebe would give you full manual control whilst saving your clutch leg in traffic. Alas...

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Skål, jævler!

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:36 PM

QUOTE (visionist @ Friday, Dec 9 2011, 23:33)
Unfortunately, they didn't catch on: too expensive & unreliable using then contemporary technology. A modern system offering a 6 or even 7 speed gate and Duppelkupplunsgetriebe would give you full manual control whilst saving your clutch leg in traffic. Alas...

Wouldn't that basically just be a slightly less refined double-clutch gearbox?

visionist
  • visionist

Eat A Peach For Hours

• Members

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:47 PM Edited by visionist, 19 December 2011 - 08:48 PM.

...slower shifts perhaps, yes, but only marginally so. The time it takes you to move the lever is the time the system takes to change gear. On The Green Hell, it might cost you 10 seconds a lap, but on The Greenbelt Hell (M25 tounge.gif ), it'l save you a Hell of a load of Cursing.

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:07 AM

VW's autostick incorporated a torque converter right? That big heavy spinning mass of ATF is not something I want. f*ck fluid drive.

visionist
  • visionist

Eat A Peach For Hours

• Members

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:25 PM

Autostick used a fluid coupling yes. It was a 60s thing cool.gif

Valeo used a conventional single plate biter.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users