Why Los Santos?

159 replies to this topic
TheDavid
  • TheDavid

You ruined my life. (again)

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:27 PM

QUOTE (Long_Haired_Boy @ Wednesday, Nov 9 2011, 04:49)
What im trying to get you guys to understand its not the city that make the game its what you do with it.

Then why does it matter to you that it's in Los Santos again? Rockstar is going to make it amazing.

GTA3 had a pretty meh story, but was a breakthrough, and provided an amazing game engine for the future games.

GTAIV had a meh story but, again, they were toying with the new RAGE engine that has helped their future games.

Just relax, you will play GTAV just like everyone else, and you will most likely love it.

Also, stop acting like you work for Rockstar, it was pretty much confirmed that planes are in the game, along with working out and the other mini-games, so please, stop.

andrejba69
  • andrejba69

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:32 PM

to be honest im disappointed that its only los santos and not all of sa

TheDavid
  • TheDavid

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE (andrejba69 @ Thursday, Nov 10 2011, 21:32)

Please, do show me where you have gotten this confirmed. I'm eager to read the confirmation.

73duster
  • 73duster

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:39 PM

QUOTE (annie_himself @ Thursday, Nov 10 2011, 19:37)
QUOTE (73duster @ Thursday, Nov 10 2011, 18:07)
QUOTE (Bad Girls @ Wednesday, Nov 9 2011, 20:33)
I'm hoping for the next GTA game (whether that's GTA 6 or GTA: [whatever] ) to be set outside the Liberty City/Vice City/San Andreas paradigm. Seriously, I don't know why you people are baying for the franchise to return to old locations over and over again.

Liberty City - GTA1, GTA III, GTA Liberty City Stories, GTA Advance and GTA IV
Vice City - GTA1, GTA: Vice City, GTA Vice City Stories
San Andreas - GTA1, GTA: San Andreas, GTA V

Why not somewhere else in the US (Detroit, Chicago, Boston?) or a 3D reimagination of GTA2's Anywhere City that's set slightly in the future (about 5-10 years)? Or somewhere outside of the US, like London or Vancouver? Going back to the same locations will eventually slowly kill the franchise. GTA IV may have still been a hit, but a lot of people were pissed off that they were returning to LC. Before it came out a lot of people were hoping and expecting a brand new location.

What's the big f*cking deal with these locations? GTAIV was NOTHING like GTAIII. You guys keep getting caught up with names, when the locations are FICTIONAL. They resemble real life places, but they are NOT carbon copies! This map will have, urban, suburban and mountain environments. As well as beaches, farmland and shopping districts. Everything you could ask for in an environment, can be provided on a map based on southern California. You guys are complaining about the title? IT'S A CITY! WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE IF IT"S BASED ANYWHERE ELSE? There is even an ASIAN area! THATS the beauty of Rockstars environments, in the end, they will include everything you could ask for.

There are huge differences in cities, you should travel more because Socal isn't everything I want in a game.

I did'nt say it's EXACTLY the same. Other than specific buildings, what's so urgent about some OTHER place? Like i said, in Los Santos, you will get whatever you can get in "Detroit, Chicago or Boston", in FACT, would'nt you be complaining that Chicago or Detroit is TOO much like LC? Of course you would, because you ALWAYS want whatever is NOT being offered.

TheDavid
  • TheDavid

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:04 PM

Rockstar does what they want to do. If you don't like it, then don't buy it. Very simple method of choice.

Ratone
  • Ratone

Peon

• Members

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:30 PM

Because they can mix Vice City and San Andreas into Los Santos.
Funny fact: a lot of scenes in Scarface where shot in california, since miami cuban community didn't liked the movie and started threatening the director/crew.

I could go deeper into this but... IMHO. Vice City felt like a complete experience. I would love to revisit the 80s again, I honestly would probably buy all the GTA games even if they were all set into Vice City 80's... Since i'm pretty much in love with that time and place.
BUT, Vice City felt like a complete experience for me, everything worked very well in that game. I never felt like "Oh there is something missing", from the color of the cars (and that pseudo-reflection shader) to the dirty character models, everything worked perfectly IMHO.

While Los Santos hardly felt explored in GTA San Andreas. Specially if we're talking about "movie moments".

And, if we look closely, GTA V trailer has the same "Vice City" vibe to it. R* tried to mix a story of "money" with the los angeles setting. I can see we will be controlling a "money and power"-scarface-esque guy.

tarnell
  • tarnell

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:45 PM

QUOTE (Long_Haired_Boy @ Thursday, Nov 10 2011, 16:55)
QUOTE (tarnell @ Wednesday, Nov 9 2011, 20:46)
Damn I just can't wait till the game is realised with all these mexican neighborhoods and people talking spanish then all black neighborhoods then the rich west side neighborhoods. Waaaaah

Also I really hope that they will offer more attention towards the film industry for which LA (( LS )) is known for, some kind of parody for Universal studios and places where films are filmed would be awesome.

Dude FL has all that and more man. Get real.

I use to work at Universal Studios in Orlando.
They film there aswell.

But the dude who brought up the Genesis theory. Im thinking the same thing.

Los Santos and Vice City could all be in GTA V.

No dude it doesn't....
And FL is nothing compared to LA (( in the film industry ))
But that's not the point anyway. IMO LS is the best setting they could have chose now.

73duster
  • 73duster

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:58 PM

I really hope they just go with a completely fictional place for the next installment. If only to end the ungrateful bitching and moaning about location. Oh, wait, they would complain about that too.

Long_Haired_Boy
  • Long_Haired_Boy

Whilst everyone's lost, the battle is won

• Awaiting Authorization

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:30 PM

QUOTE (TheDavid @ Thursday, Nov 10 2011, 21:27)
QUOTE (Long_Haired_Boy @ Wednesday, Nov 9 2011, 04:49)
What im trying to get you guys to understand its not the city that make the game its what you do with it.

Then why does it matter to you that it's in Los Santos again? Rockstar is going to make it amazing.

GTA3 had a pretty meh story, but was a breakthrough, and provided an amazing game engine for the future games.

GTAIV had a meh story but, again, they were toying with the new RAGE engine that has helped their future games.

Just relax, you will play GTAV just like everyone else, and you will most likely love it.

Also, stop acting like you work for Rockstar, it was pretty much confirmed that planes are in the game, along with working out and the other mini-games, so please, stop.

Clearing some things up.

I never said I work for R*. dontgetit.gif

This doesn't mean I cannot or haven't received information on GTA V before its announcement.

annie_himself
  • annie_himself

Trick

• Members

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:22 AM

QUOTE (73duster @ Thursday, Nov 10 2011, 21:39)
QUOTE (annie_himself @ Thursday, Nov 10 2011, 19:37)
QUOTE (73duster @ Thursday, Nov 10 2011, 18:07)
QUOTE (Bad Girls @ Wednesday, Nov 9 2011, 20:33)
I'm hoping for the next GTA game (whether that's GTA 6 or GTA: [whatever] ) to be set outside the Liberty City/Vice City/San Andreas paradigm. Seriously, I don't know why you people are baying for the franchise to return to old locations over and over again.

Liberty City - GTA1, GTA III, GTA Liberty City Stories, GTA Advance and GTA IV
Vice City - GTA1, GTA: Vice City, GTA Vice City Stories
San Andreas - GTA1, GTA: San Andreas, GTA V

Why not somewhere else in the US (Detroit, Chicago, Boston?) or a 3D reimagination of GTA2's Anywhere City that's set slightly in the future (about 5-10 years)? Or somewhere outside of the US, like London or Vancouver? Going back to the same locations will eventually slowly kill the franchise. GTA IV may have still been a hit, but a lot of people were pissed off that they were returning to LC. Before it came out a lot of people were hoping and expecting a brand new location.

What's the big f*cking deal with these locations? GTAIV was NOTHING like GTAIII. You guys keep getting caught up with names, when the locations are FICTIONAL. They resemble real life places, but they are NOT carbon copies! This map will have, urban, suburban and mountain environments. As well as beaches, farmland and shopping districts. Everything you could ask for in an environment, can be provided on a map based on southern California. You guys are complaining about the title? IT'S A CITY! WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE IF IT"S BASED ANYWHERE ELSE? There is even an ASIAN area! THATS the beauty of Rockstars environments, in the end, they will include everything you could ask for.

There are huge differences in cities, you should travel more because Socal isn't everything I want in a game.

I did'nt say it's EXACTLY the same. Other than specific buildings, what's so urgent about some OTHER place? Like i said, in Los Santos, you will get whatever you can get in "Detroit, Chicago or Boston", in FACT, would'nt you be complaining that Chicago or Detroit is TOO much like LC? Of course you would, because you ALWAYS want whatever is NOT being offered.

No, I would rather a place that hasn't been seen plastered all over the media. I don't care if its not exactly the same. I'm tired of seeing LA on my screen.
Yes I would rather see Detroit, DC, Chicago, or mainly New Orleans.
You speak like you know me?
And there are more differences than just buildings. You should travel more.

xxDingerxx
  • xxDingerxx

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:33 AM

Well, if anything, I would really like GTA to get out of America.

While there are differences between American cities, by and large they do share the same traits. I want to go back to London, as well as other cities scattered across the world. Lets go somewhere with a completely different vibe in both the architectural nature of the city as well as the people that live there

FelipeVinhao
  • FelipeVinhao

Under construction, sorry for the inconvenience

• Members

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:14 AM

QUOTE (TheDavid @ Thursday, Nov 10 2011, 19:37)
QUOTE (andrejba69 @ Thursday, Nov 10 2011, 21:32)

Please, do show me where you have gotten this confirmed. I'm eager to read the confirmation.

Even if they confirm it's only one city (as if there wasn't enough confirmation yet), I think you're going to hard.

Come on, is it to bad to have only one massive detailed city?

jredcay4
  • jredcay4

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:07 AM

Because most wanted it, including me. SA was amazing on the original Xbox, imagine how it will be now...

FelipeVinhao
  • FelipeVinhao

Under construction, sorry for the inconvenience

• Members

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:24 AM

Well, I was in a similar situation. Actually expecting Vice City but wanting San Andreas, still trusting the choice of Rockstar. Now that Los Santos is confirmed, but not any chance of the rest of SA, I'm still looking forward this game.

Long_Haired_Boy
  • Long_Haired_Boy

• Awaiting Authorization

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:27 AM

Im more excited about everything else except Los Santos.

Mountains, Countryside and Seasons. Awe.

PiersMorgan2nite
  • PiersMorgan2nite

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:10 AM

I've never posted here before, but the people who are behind VC for V really should not be playing GTA. They have a game, it's called Saints Row. they just made a new one.

Listen, people have touched on this briefly on this forum but no one has said it flat out:

The reason GTA is what it is is because it the games are not just a video game. It's literature with pixels. Complex themes and story-line/environment/characters/setting entirely based off of a dark black satire of consumer-culture and post-modernist America.

I'll go further: The GTA serious is entirely about the tale of post-modern America.

With a game like this that far outweighs the title "game" the setting is crucial because it has to be a center of American cultural. It absolutely needs to represent something about the culture of this country. Someone else touched upon this, but I'll revisit:

New York: The capital of the world. It should be obvious why they choose this setting.
Los Angeles in the 90's: One can easily make the case that during this period the city was going through it's cultural zenith. Rodney King, The Riots, racial tension, a swelling of beverly hills haute-culture not seen since the 50's, not to mention a little known fact, a huge population boom during this period.
Miami in the 80's: ONLY DURING THE 80's was Miami relevant to the globe. The center of cocaine, which was the drug of the decade, this was the hollywood of the eighties and stood for everything American capitalism has creating going into the 21st century.

Without going any further you make make global importance arguments for other cities:
Detroit: Large industrial city dying from the inside due to capitalism
Chicago: Ehh, I wouldn't know how to make this argument but it's there
Las Vegas: Obviously
D.C: obviously

And that's that. Modern day Los Angeles makes perfect sense because it highlights celebrity-driven culture, gentrification, growing wealth-gap, the society of the spectacle, etc, etc. I honestly feel like I don't need to continue.

So if you're complaining that "ohh I wanted to drink margeritas on the beach and see ladies with bikini's and go to nightclubs", well, frankly, you aren't the demographic for this game, you are the people this game is ridiculing. The status-symbol-obsessed culture that just wants to do outlandish things. And even more frank, you obviously did not understand the message behind Vice City since you're in such a rush to do the same exact thing all over game, only with better graphics.

It's like complaining that your favorite author wrote a new book instead of re-releasing your favorite novel of his/hers but this time with light blue pages.

annie_himself
  • annie_himself

Trick

• Members

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:24 AM

QUOTE (PiersMorgan2nite @ Friday, Nov 11 2011, 06:10)
I've never posted here before, but the people who are behind VC for V really should not be playing GTA. They have a game, it's called Saints Row. they just made a new one.

Listen, people have touched on this briefly on this forum but no one has said it flat out:

The reason GTA is what it is is because it the games are not just a video game. It's literature with pixels. Complex themes and story-line/environment/characters/setting entirely based off of a dark black satire of consumer-culture and post-modernist America.

I'll go further: The GTA serious is entirely about the tale of post-modern America.

With a game like this that far outweighs the title "game" the setting is crucial because it has to be a center of American cultural. It absolutely needs to represent something about the culture of this country. Someone else touched upon this, but I'll revisit:

New York: The capital of the world. It should be obvious why they choose this setting.
Los Angeles in the 90's: One can easily make the case that during this period the city was going through it's cultural zenith. Rodney King, The Riots, racial tension, a swelling of beverly hills haute-culture not seen since the 50's, not to mention a little known fact, a huge population boom during this period.
Miami in the 80's: ONLY DURING THE 80's was Miami relevant to the globe. The center of cocaine, which was the drug of the decade, this was the hollywood of the eighties and stood for everything American capitalism has creating going into the 21st century.

Without going any further you make make global importance arguments for other cities:
Detroit: Large industrial city dying from the inside due to capitalism
Chicago: Ehh, I wouldn't know how to make this argument but it's there
Las Vegas: Obviously
D.C: obviously

And that's that. Modern day Los Angeles makes perfect sense because it highlights celebrity-driven culture, gentrification, growing wealth-gap, the society of the spectacle, etc, etc. I honestly feel like I don't need to continue.

So if you're complaining that "ohh I wanted to drink margeritas on the beach and see ladies with bikini's and go to nightclubs", well, frankly, you aren't the demographic for this game, you are the people this game is ridiculing. The status-symbol-obsessed culture that just wants to do outlandish things. And even more frank, you obviously did not understand the message behind Vice City since you're in such a rush to do the same exact thing all over game, only with better graphics.

It's like complaining that your favorite author wrote a new book instead of re-releasing your favorite novel of his/hers but this time with light blue pages.

This post is full of so much bullsh*t I can smell it all the way in Houston.

You only think LA is relevant because you don't know anything about other American cities.

You're book analogy sucks, its like your author revisiting the same plot or location instead of bringing something NEW and INNOVATIVE to the table.

PiersMorgan2nite
  • PiersMorgan2nite

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:30 AM Edited by PiersMorgan2nite, 11 November 2011 - 06:34 AM.

Well. You have just defused your own argument. If I "[only know about LA]" than wouldn't that speak volumes about the culturally-relevancy of the city?

Listen sir, there's a reason the average Frenchman has no idea where or what Houston is. It's because it's not important, it doesn't matter to the world. Meanwhile everyone everywhere, even in third-world countries, can not only find Los Angeles on a map, but tell you about it. This sort of thing doesn't strike you as important?

Enjoy Saints Row. Sure there isn't much else to do in that backwater you call a hometown.

Long_Haired_Boy
  • Long_Haired_Boy

• Awaiting Authorization

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:36 AM

@
PiersMorgan2nite

Stopped reading right there. dozingoff.gif

annie_himself
  • annie_himself

Trick

• Members

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:02 AM Edited by annie_himself, 11 November 2011 - 07:04 AM.

QUOTE (PiersMorgan2nite @ Friday, Nov 11 2011, 06:30)
Well. You have just defused your own argument. If I "[only know about LA]" than wouldn't that speak volumes about the culturally-relevancy of the city?

Listen sir, there's a reason the average Frenchman has no idea where or what Houston is. It's because it's not important, it doesn't matter to the world. Meanwhile everyone everywhere, even in third-world countries, can not only find Los Angeles on a map, but tell you about it. This sort of thing doesn't strike you as important?

Enjoy Saints Row. Sure there isn't much else to do in that backwater you call a hometown.

It speaks about it but your argument doesn't hold any clout because you don't know about other cities. Simple concept to grasp.

I'm not from Houston and a GTA location in Houston would be stupid. LOL Houston is the 4th largest city in the country, I can do almost everything you can in LA. See, you don't know enough about other cities, my point...

I don't care who knows about LA, I know it's important, I never said it wasn't. I specifically said it's over used, repetitive, and not innovative for a location.

I don't own Saint's Row or plan to buy it.

By the way, if Houston was to disappear, your gas prices would nearly double, and the cost of food would skyrocket (Houston's port system). You should learn a thing or two before you say its not important.

My location would be New Orleans, and yes people in third world countries can tell you about it, and when Katrina hit the rigs in the Gulf, the price of oil increased, and we felt it months later.

Read a book boy..

mobile
  • mobile

Mobile

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:20 AM

Third world countries... seriously? Are you guys still using "cold war" expressions?

R* options were quite simple. Build something new based on other culturally important American city... or revisit some of the cities already used on previous games.

They chose the second option. Now... which one? Vice City, Los Santos, San Fierro or Las Venturas?

I agree with you. Miami nowadays is not that relevant. The other options are much more interesting.

Then they would have only San Andreas. Would it be possible to fit three major cities (as detailed as Liberty City plus country sides and etc) in a game on this console generation? Probably yes... but would it work like GTA SA worked? Or would it be too much?

Exploring only one city and its large surroundings would give R* more time to focus on details and game play.

Now San Andreas has three very amazing cities. I would like to see a very well explored Las Venturas. San Fierro would be more about the city itself, which is fascinating and unique. But Los Santos is probably the logical choice. It is the biggest city of the state and the richest, even richer than Las Venturas.

And if the game is about the almighty money, Los Santos is probably the right choice.

Nibiru
  • Nibiru

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:05 AM

LS is long overdue. its like askin why go back to liberty city to me. im happy to see LA with the new top notch graphics and hope to see vice city on the ps4 biggrin.gif

meson1
  • meson1

Soldier

• Members

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:35 AM Edited by meson1, 11 November 2011 - 04:41 PM.

PiersMorgan2nite is quite right about the points he makes. But I think he's managed to tell this to you in such a way that has got all your backs up. (His telling you to go play SR didn't help smile.gif ). You tell him that HE doesn't know anything about other American cities. And ironically this is exactly the crux of his argument. It is ALL about whether or not a GLOBAL audience can identify with these places. Satire only really works if your audience knows what it is you're satirizing. Parody only really works if they get what it is that your parodying.

Ask yourself this, if you show people anywhere in the world various American cities, can they identify them? Can they tell you anything about them, such as something simple like naming a few landmarks? That right there is your indicator.
  • New York - Instantly recognisable. Loads of landmarks.
  • Los Angeles - Instantly recognisable. Loads of landmarks.
  • Washington D.C. - Instantly recognisable. Loads of landmarks.
  • Las Vegas - Instantly recognisable. Loads of landmarks on the strip. But away from the strip, not so much.
  • San Francisco - Instantly recognisable. Quite a few landmarks.
Then we start to struggle.
  • Miami - Not that recognisable except perhaps Miami Beach. But when you start parodying Miami Vice and Scarface, you start to understand.
  • Chicago - Would people be able to tell this apart from any other skyscraper city? Could they mistake it for New York?
  • Detroit - No idea what it looks like. (Sorry. sad.gif )
  • Houston - No idea what it looks like. (Sorry. sad.gif )
Now don't get me wrong. I'm actually all for seeing all kinds of American cities in GTA. I'd like to see new, interesting and diverse places. But I'm not the one who's placing a $100m bet on making a game out of it.

crazyunik
  • crazyunik

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE (PiersMorgan2nite @ Friday, Nov 11 2011, 07:30)

I'm sure there are more frenchmen who knows where Houston is, than americans who knows where's Paris!

You americans overrate your own country!

I've travel around the world a lot, also in the USA and I saw it's ruined. Bad infrastructur, many broken buildings! Even the US car companies are ruined already...

But that's the reason why I like to play GTA in the states! I like the dirty and ruined places for playing biggrin.gif

Now hate me cool.gif

xUSMC SSGTx
  • xUSMC SSGTx

United States Marine Treadhead

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:35 AM

QUOTE (Halo_Override @ Wednesday, Nov 9 2011, 04:09)
QUOTE (Long_Haired_Boy @ Tuesday, Nov 8 2011, 20:39)
Vice City wasn't popular because people liked Miami, it was popular because people liked Scarface and Miami Vice?

What? dontgetit.gif

I like Miami. And according to the Location poll more than 40 percent did aswell.

I'm sure Miami is a perfectly nice place to be. But it has no significant cultural influence in the present day. It's just another American city, except that someone made a popular game about it once.

Vice wasn't set in a fictionalized Miami because the idea of Miami excited people. It was set there because the 80s Miami scene was the inspiration for some popular culture based on violence and the drug trade. Which is why the game also takes place in the 80s. Outside of that bubble, Miami doesn't mean much.

Los Angeles and New York aren't just American cities, they're also global symbols. Asking "why not Vice?" only happens because people have nostalgia about the game. It's like asking why Spielberg doesn't remake Saving Private Ryan in the present day -- because that war doesn't exist anymore.

Nothing against Miami, there's just no new story to be told there as far as GTA is concerned.

Well said. Have TWO cookies! cookie.gif cookie.gif

xUSMC SSGTx
  • xUSMC SSGTx

United States Marine Treadhead

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE (annie_himself @ Friday, Nov 11 2011, 07:02)

It speaks about it but your argument doesn't hold any clout because you don't know about other cities. Simple concept to grasp.

I'm not from Houston and a GTA location in Houston would be stupid. LOL Houston is the 4th largest city in the country, I can do almost everything you can in LA. See, you don't know enough about other cities, my point...

I don't care who knows about LA, I know it's important, I never said it wasn't. I specifically said it's over used, repetitive, and not innovative for a location.

I don't own Saint's Row or plan to buy it.

By the way, if Houston was to disappear, your gas prices would nearly double, and the cost of food would skyrocket (Houston's port system). You should learn a thing or two before you say its not important.

My location would be New Orleans, and yes people in third world countries can tell you about it, and when Katrina hit the rigs in the Gulf, the price of oil increased, and we felt it months later.

Read a book boy..

I live in Houston. I will agree that everyone knows the city by NAME, but no one would recognize it if they saw a picture.

Reliant Stadium? Minute Maid Park? Anyone know who plays it those?

Now lets try this - How about the Staples Center? Madison Square Garden? See what im saying?

Houston is the biggest city that no one knows anything about.

Infinite Monkey
  • Infinite Monkey

Don't think about it... ...it's a zen-headache

• Members

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:14 AM

It's all very simple: Vice City will be number six because the marketing department would then be able to call it : GTA VI ce City.

Add to that the fact that R* have all the maps/photos/textures for LA and the desert from LA Noire & RDR laying around the office and the choice makes itself.

Conspiracy theorists may suggest that they only decided to publish LA Noire as a cover story to allow their employees to walk around taking photos of every building in LA without raising suspicion, but one way or another that's what they've all been researching and it's not going to waste.

Of course, if I know R*, GTA 6 will be set in London, and the marketing department will end up climbing the nearest clock tower with a rifle...

Long_Haired_Boy
  • Long_Haired_Boy

• Awaiting Authorization

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:56 PM

Ok guys. Thanks.

Maybe SA, Los Santos disappointed me because it felt incomplete and didn't use more of the map......... Wait it makes sense now.

Well I have 100 percent trust in R* that GTA V will be a awesome awesome experience. colgate.gif

annie_himself
  • annie_himself

Trick

• Members

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE (meson1 @ Friday, Nov 11 2011, 08:35)
PiersMorgan2nite is quite right about the points he makes. But I think he's managed to tell this to you in such a way that has got all your backs up. (His telling you to go play SR didn't help smile.gif ). You tell him that HE doesn't know anything about other American cities. And ironically this is exactly the crux of his argument. It is ALL about whether or not a GLOBAL audience can identify with these places. Satire only really works if your audience knows what it is you're satirizing. Parody only really works if they get what it is that your parodying.

Ask yourself this, if you show people anywhere in the world various American cities, can they identify them? Can they tell you anything about them, such as something simple like naming a few landmarks? That right there is your indicator.
  • Las Vegas - Instantly recognisable. Loads of landmarks on the strip. But away from the strip, not so much.
  • Miami - Not that recognisable except perhaps Miami Beach. But when you start parodying Miami Vice and Scarface, you start to understand.
  • Chicago - Would people be able to tell this apart from any other skyscraper city? Could they mistake it for New York?
Now don't get me wrong. I'm actually all for seeing all kinds of American cities in GTA. I'd like to see new, interesting and diverse places. But I'm not the one who's placing a $100m bet on making a game out of it.

New Orleans is instantly recognized. Perfect for a GTA location.

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

Chafing the Chimp is totally natural behaviour!

• Members
  • England

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE (meson1 @ Friday, Nov 11 2011, 08:35)

Thanks for saying everything I was thinking.

When it comes down to it, Los Angeles & the surrounding area are the perfect place to set a GTA game, far better than NY imo. It is probably the most famous city in the world & is ripe for parodying, as it is already a parody in itself.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users