Photo

Whats the CORRECT ending?

118 replies to this topic
MrDanceWithLance
  • MrDanceWithLance

Prankster

• Members

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:18 AM

QUOTE (SmC12 @ Friday, Apr 13 2012, 02:13)
Like everyone else said there is no "correct" ending. But for me personally, I felt that revenge was the correct ending. I was more satisfied with it, and although there was still consequences, they weren't as bad I mean you'd only known Kate for a very short time, sure it meant alot to your relationship with the McReary's, but it wasn't Niko's problem that she got killed. I just felt Revenge was much more logical after everything Roman and Niko had been through. How could you be happy giving in to the very thing you've been fighting all this time by chosing Deal?

I totally agree with you. Niko couldn't get over Darko's betrayal of his unit, so how can he handle Dimitri's betrayal? I don't think he is the guy to throw away his one opportunity for revenge just for some dollars.

GrandTheftAuto 5SA
  • GrandTheftAuto 5SA

Snitch

• Members

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:53 AM

I think revenge, because you can see the smoke from the plane explosion of the last mission of TBOGT

CJ killed Ryder
  • CJ killed Ryder

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:55 PM Edited by CJ killed Ryder, 23 April 2012 - 07:59 PM.

Revenge is canon. If Packie McReary returns to GTA V I'm sure he will make references to the death of Francis and Kate.

Revenge also has better missions such as the mission on the Platypus ship.

CJ killed Ryder
  • CJ killed Ryder

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE (AceRay @ Wednesday, Jan 25 2012, 21:53)
QUOTE (acmilano @ Thursday, Jan 26 2012, 07:43)
Maybe TBOGT credits gives the answer.If Kate dies then Packie calls Niko and says how he now needs to stay with his mother becouse he's all that is left to her.And in TBOGT credits we saw him going to airport and leaving the city,which means somebodystays with his mother and that could only be Kate,becouse Gerry is in jail and Francis and Derrick areone dead and other is no longer considered a family. Also Roman'sdeath is much more tragical than Kate and Dimitri is Niko's real enemy,not Pegorino so he should die in last mission.

Nice post. I don't think Packie would leave his mother if he was the only one there for her. The only thing is that if Niko kills Francis then I suppose that Derrick could support her but his drug addiction would probably get in the way. I think this more or less confirms that Deal is canon.

123iamking: We're not discussing which ending is BETTER, just which one is canon, and its painfully obvious that Deal is. I personally prefer the Revenge ending gameplay wise and it COULD have been emotional if Kate wasn't such an unlikable b*tch.

Well, maybe Packie's mother dies a few weeks after Kate's death and Packie leaving to Los Santos, trying to build up a new future.

urbanfire
  • urbanfire

Ze Fire of da City

• Members

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:32 AM

Although I preferred revenge ending because I love roman's taxi service Im going to have to go with deal on this. It seems to be a more befitting end which wraps up the story initially begun with a bookended moral lesson.

Niko came to Liberty city seeking the "American Dream" Roman had boasted about all too often. In the end he finds out that this dream is just a facade and that he lost more than just a vision, He lost his beloved cousin Roman, the very catalyst that brought him to this foreign lands. Now that's some deep sh*t. It has morals lessons, that greed can be your undoing, and that the "American Dream" is a lie for foreigners.

CJ killed Ryder
  • CJ killed Ryder

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE (AceRay @ Sunday, Jan 15 2012, 06:31)
I don't think Niko could be that stupid.

Niko is not stupid because he knows that Dimitri will betray him again if he does the deal. That's why he choses revenge.

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE (CJ killed Ryder @ Wednesday, Apr 25 2012, 10:44)
QUOTE (AceRay @ Sunday, Jan 15 2012, 06:31)
I don't think Niko could be that stupid.

Niko is not stupid because he knows that Dimitri will betray him again if he does the deal. That's why he choses revenge.

If it wasn't for the events of "That Special Some One", I think I would agree that "Revenge" would be the only realistic option. However, that episode leaves you with a very strong message that revenge does not pay - which ever option you choose in that mission, which comes very shortly before the choice presented in "One Last Thing".

I've said it before, and I will say it again, the main reason for the Darko plot device, is to give the final choice in the game some meaning. The story is not really about Niko v Darko - that is to do with his past, before you pick up the action as a player. The story of IV is really about Niko v Dimitri. But if you didn't have "That Special Someone", everyone would pick "Revenge". The episode with Darko is designed to make it more of a dilema based on your recent experience - and very cleverly done by R* in my oppinion.

The bottom line is there is no evidence that suggest either choice is cannon. Both can represent a consistent play through. We have discussed the overlaps between the trilogy here:

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=430301

and there is no definitive proof from either TLAD or TBOGT that either "Deal" or "Revenge" must be taken - either can be consistent.

The only way we will know is if a specific reference in V crops up to certain characters in IV, but my personal view is R* will never answer this question to maintain a valid open ended choice for the player. There's been a lot of oppinionate discussion about whether IV characters may return, but my view is that we will not see either Roman or Kate again, or hear about them. Some characters that could come back in theory without disrupting the plot might be Brucie, Little Jacob, or Packie, although the latter would have to remain tight lipped about his family and how they are all doing at the present.

My advice is anyway to players is to save before "One Last Thing" and play through both endings!
  • Deadly Target likes this

PINKbubblegum
  • PINKbubblegum

YELLOW CARRRRRRR!

• Members

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:55 AM

personally, id rarther that kate dies than roman, niko can survive without her, but roman is family.

Catsville
  • Catsville

GTA IV For Life

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:46 AM

Actually, you'll notice that in GTA: Chinatown Wars, Roman's Cab Business is back up and running, and no longer torched, I think CW is in 2009. This may be a clue leading to Revenge being the real ending (I hope it is).

Inchun
  • Inchun

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:31 AM

I don't think this is a matter of what is right or wrong, rather preference.

With that said, I prefer the "revenge" ending, only because Roman survives. The first I played through this game, I got Roman killed, and I was literally hurt. I've never felt like that from a video game ever before... Besides, Kate is a stuck up b*tch. >.>

jpm1
  • jpm1

Vice city citizen

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:32 AM

i think both ends are bad to show that criminal way won't ever pay . but i heard , never experienced it myself , that if you still play for a while Roman and Kate call you on the phone colgate.gif cool.gif

Gtaghost22
  • Gtaghost22

• Members

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:40 AM Edited by Gtaghost22, 06 September 2012 - 01:56 AM.

Sorry for bumbing this, but after finishing IV's story for the 6th time i have to say it's Revenge, i know Niko can be greedy sometimes but he would never "make up" with Dimitri after he betrayed him, i know how Niko thinks and he is not stupid, he knows Dimitri will betray him again anyway, he can't be trusted, and what about Roman's Taxi depot appearing in Chinatown Wars (2009)? i think it might indicate that Revenge is the real ending.

Edit: After reading alot of posts, i'm not really sure anymore, but i still think it's Revenge, Packie leaving Liberty City has nothing to do with it, his mother still got Derrick to take care of her, he is an addict i know, but maybe he changed? Or maybe Francis was supposed to live?
even though everyone hates Kate.

I don't, i just like Roman more..

junkpile
  • junkpile

Liberty City, it's over! Next Stop. Los Santos.

• Members

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:36 PM

QUOTE (ccrogers15 @ Monday, Nov 7 2011, 19:20)
What is the correct ending for GTA IV? Cause i dont know which is really Canon:

Revenge: Kate dies

Deal: Roman dies

Which is correct? Thanks in advance.

Your choice. Both endings make sense in their own way. R* answered this very question in a Q & A , too.

SPOILER ALERT - “Kill or spare Ivan Bytchkov? Kill or spare Cherise Glover? Kill Playboy X or Dwayne Forge? Kill or spare Clarance Little? Kill Francis McReary or Derrick McReary? Kill or spare Darko Brevic?
Take the deal or get revenge? I know what I'd do but I wanna know what [Niko] would do. You designed him so you know him better than I do.” – Mike Sean Clifton

That’s a very interesting question. The choices that you make in Grand Theft Auto IV while in the shoes of Niko Bellic are completely down to personal preference. Your conscience and curiosity help Niko to make decisions throughout the game, so we really don’t have a straight and true path for how the Niko ‘character’ would react in life or death situations – it’s all down to the individual who plays him, and our hope was to have a fairly even split in all of the choices, so they seemed like real dilemmas. In terms of outcomes (something Niko would not know at the time) there is a ‘best pathway’ which is the sort of thing we reveal when we do a tips post, but that is from a pure game design / mechanics perspective as some choices give you more advantages than others, not from the choices Niko might make at the time. Those are up to you.

However, here's my latest choice of canon:

1. Sparing IVAN BYTCHKOV
2. Sparing CHERISE GLOVER
3. Killing PLAYBOY X
4. Killing FRANCIS MCREARY
5. Sparing DARKO BREVIC

6. Taking revenge on DIMITRI RASCALOV

I also spare Clarence only to KILL him later in a substory.

dragon_goran_mijo
  • dragon_goran_mijo

Suspect is driving a red sports car

• Members

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:04 AM

Deal was the most emotional to both the player and Niko. Seeing his best friend, his BROTHER, they grew up like brothers, just get eradicated in a matter of seconds, is horrifying to Niko.

matajuegos
  • matajuegos

2 Years in the forums!!! I MISS YOU ZEE

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:03 AM

sorry for bumping this but I've completed IV for the 3rd time and I think Deal was the original ending, if you listen to the conversation that happens while you are chasing one of dimitri's goons on the highway ("a revenger's tragedy" mission) you'll listen that Niko says to LJ that dimitri was not the problem anymore, that he didn't care about him anymore, but he killed roman in his wedding day so this went serious, that means that he didn't have the plan of killing dimitri anymore, also the encounter with darko made him reconsider the things.

junkpile
  • junkpile

Liberty City, it's over! Next Stop. Los Santos.

• Members

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

R* already said that there is NO CORRECT ENDING. It's up to the players. Both endings work in their own ways.

Dr. Robotnik
  • Dr. Robotnik

Rat

• Members

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:35 PM Edited by Dr. Robotnik, 13 January 2013 - 12:41 PM.

Although I've been very supportive of the Deal ending in past posts, and consider it the better one, I actually can make an argument for the Revenge ending as well.

Although it's easy, and not unfounded, to say Niko does the deal for Roman, for the most part what the dialogue gives as Niko's motivation is money and greed, not forgiveness or love for his family.

1. Roman (whose mishandling of finances is a running theme throughout the game) completely disregards Dimitri's destruction of his home and business in favor of the opportunity for luxury, and in his texts emphasizes "money, fast cars, women"; things Niko should realize by this point are only shallow pipe dreams.

2. Niko says that the deal "would make things easier, for me and for Roman", which does sound like he's trying to do right by his cousin, but also that he's taking the easy way out.

3. Phil even goes so far as to call back to Darko selling out his friends; "Money makes people do the strangest things, don't it?"

So while Niko does let go of his past and try to help Roman by taking the Deal, he also lets go of things from his past that he should remember, because they're still relevant, and his continued enabling of Roman's self-destructive lifestyle results in something he finally can't save him from; death.

Furthermore, while the game does claim Niko should let go of his past, that's generally not what the more "moral" choices in the game involve doing, with the exception of Darko. Playboy X is completely right when he says that Dwayne "thinks it's 1992, and the best you can get is a gold chain and a pager". The guy's trapped in his past (and the past) as bad as Niko is, if not worse; his introducion has him expecting Playboy X to just drop the life he's achieved for himself, and "roll" with him again. Yet the game goes far out of its way to place killing him as the greedy, immoral, choice. Same thing with Derrick; guy's trapped in his past too, but killing him is also mostly considered immoral.

Gameralfa095
  • Gameralfa095

Bang!

• Members
  • El-Salvador

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:10 AM

Ya lads it's defo Deal it just doesn't seem right that Niko would kill his arch rival Dimitri before the last mission. Plus, I know Kate was Niko's girlfriend and all but she's only a minor character and her dying is not the same thing as Roman dying

Yes but take it on Nikos perspectrive he didnt knew if he was going to have the oportunity to kill Dimitri again and he would prefer to to finish him sooner than later

Ya lads it's defo Deal it just doesn't seem right that Niko would kill his arch rival Dimitri before the last mission. Plus, I know Kate was Niko's girlfriend and all but she's only a minor character and her dying is not the same thing as Roman dying

Yes but take it on Nikos perspectrive he didnt knew if he was going to have the oportunity to kill Dimitri again and he would prefer to to finish him sooner than later and Roman dies if you choose Deal

Bull12345Bull
  • Bull12345Bull

Criminally Insane

• Members
  • Greece

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:18 AM

It's pretty much obvious that Revenge is the correct ending.

After completion of V's story mode, if you zoom in at Jimmy's laptop in the kitchen in Michael's house, you can see that he is browsing Niko Bellic's LifeInvader account. Niko is stalking Roman in his account. LifeInvader was created after 2008 (which is the year GTA IV is set in), meaning that Roman created an account there himself, therefore confirming that he is alive and that the Revenge ending is correct.

• jv95_ and AddamHusayin like this

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:51 PM

That's nothing more than easter egg thus can't be considered as any kind of proof, which ending is correct. All information about Niko are very vague to simply not mess any of the IV endings. Until R* says so, the correct ending is the one you pick.

• Jimbatron likes this

Bull12345Bull
  • Bull12345Bull

Criminally Insane

• Members
  • Greece

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:06 PM

True, but I, personally, take that easter egg as proof that the Revenge ending is canon.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

That Sh*t Finances Terrorism!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:11 AM

It's a double-whammy.

I don't see Niko ever forgiving and working for Dimitri. I also think it's more appropriate that Niko's love, the one oasis of goodness in his life, is taken away by the life he leads.

Roman is the perfect character to play-off Niko. The game starts with Roman, and it should rightly end with Roman. I don't see why the girl Niko dated a few times deserves to live more than his life-long best pal.

Though, I wish there was a different final boss than Jimmy Peg.

He should have been killed for some story resolution, but it'd be more feasible if Gravelli asked Niko to off Jimmy a few missions before the end, like he did with Ray, to tie up loose ends.

Jimmy P's late introduction to the story and non-personal rivalry with Niko (Dimitri kidnapping Roman early on and such) didn't make him seem like the big super-duper "final boss".

I'd say revenge, Kate dying, and someone other than Jimmy being the final boss. I think Dimitri and Bulgaran should have traded Niko and Luis as rivals. After all, Bulgaran and Niko had history outside of IV.

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:58 PM

That's nothing more than easter egg thus can't be considered as any kind of proof, which ending is correct. All information about Niko are very vague to simply not mess any of the IV endings. Until R* says so, the correct ending is the one you pick.

Agreed, even if it's not just taken as an easter egg, it is still not proof. The page might well be active after his death, created in the year that he died, or might even be set up posthumously by Niko or Mallorie. Sound unlikely? Given that he has an unborn child at the end of IV, that's one way they could create a photo record for the child that would never meet their father.

I think it's OK for people to believe one ending is correct, but I still don't think anything I've seen in IV or V is definitive proof.

uncredited
  • uncredited

Midnight Marauder

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:23 PM

The first time I plyed I chose Deal. I load the game and made Revenge since I felt too weird and dumb having Roman killed.

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:43 PM

True, but I, personally, take that easter egg as proof that the Revenge ending is canon.

Then you must also think the 3D Universe and HD Universe are one and the same if you take all the III, VC, and SA easter eggs are canon.

Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:16 AM

One thing I've noticed with people around here is that with both IV and V they'll be hypocritical about chosing a canon ending, just so they can say straight out say that the less dark of the two is canon. The following includes V spoilers for those who don't want to know anything:

Spoiler

In the end I don't believe any ending to either game is canon. But those who do believe in canon endings are, for some stupid reason, so insistant that what happens in GTA should stay as far out of the dark as possible.

Cakelover21
  • Cakelover21

Unique Vehicle Collector

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:27 AM

Correct ending = Niko dies...dunnndunnn DUUUNN!

gdfsgdfg
  • gdfsgdfg

Pancakes

• Members

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:47 PM Edited by gdfsgdfg, 11 March 2014 - 03:51 PM.

Niko would always want revenge, the deal ending mission is half-assed anyway.

And Kate was shoe horned right at the last second which leads me to believe rockstar intended revenge as the normal ending anyway.

Black & White
  • Black & White

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:06 PM

Although I preferred revenge ending because I love roman's taxi service Im going to have to go with deal on this. It seems to be a more befitting end which wraps up the story initially begun with a bookended moral lesson.

Niko came to Liberty city seeking the "American Dream" Roman had boasted about all too often. In the end he finds out that this dream is just a facade and that he lost more than just a vision, He lost his beloved cousin Roman, the very catalyst that brought him to this foreign lands. Now that's some deep sh*t. It has morals lessons, that greed can be your undoing, and that the "American Dream" is a lie for foreigners.

I agree.

In real-life, Niko would of certainly made a deal with Dimitri. However, he did know Dimitri was a sneaky snake, so I'm not entirely sure. Niko was being convinced by Phil, and him and Phil had history. They were great friends and trusted each other. Niko also had the image of making stacks of cash. Roman also tried to convince Niko. I doubt someone would go against these main factors, and murder over 50 men on a boat, all by himself.

For killing Darko, no doubt Niko wanted to kill him so badly. He couldn't forgive Darko for his betrayal. He wanted him dead from the start, and I doubt he was simply going to let him free. Niko went through depression and a senseless killing spree for money. Noway he could forgive Darko for that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users