» «
Photo

[WIP|REL] GTA III hiLOD

54 replies to this topic
cjd2425
  • cjd2425

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 November 2011 - 05:56 AM Edited by cjd2425, 25 November 2011 - 06:41 AM.

QUOTE (Fireburns @ Thursday, Nov 24 2011, 20:53)
OMG!!!  inlove.gif

I will have a look at your release at the weekend, since your work deserves much more time than I have now.

The fog on some floors is probably caused by the .col file of the set object.

See you later! You made me looking forward to the weekend even more!

Fireburns

I see, thanks, I am not touching *.col files, but as long as this kind of stuff is documented it can be fixed or worked later.

QUOTE (methodunderg @ Thursday, Nov 24 2011, 21:19)
OMG. the lights look awesome. I presume left is BEFORE, and right is AFTER?

Any chance they can be convereted for GTA:SA?

You presume right (left->before - right->after), I don't have SA to test if they will work, I could import them as SA format, but there is no guarentee they will look properly or even work. That's why I left the *.max files there without much of a disclaimer but the idea is that anyone is free to do whatever they want with them. Also I didn't mention but the chamfered/beveled edges around the models are "unmapped" like that to denote borders, is basically an outline effect (or a fake specular) otherwise the polys are half a waste, but is a matter of choice, the chamfer could be smooth as well for example.

I would also argue that SA has its own style of lights, regarding III with normal street lights (light posts), those have a broken model which I am not sure how to properly build, but regardless, I would need to see what kind of light they use, they are very low-poly and barely seem to have a type or "kind" at all. So I am left to pass something realistic arbitrarely, which is not "smoothing a model" at all but almost choose and design, and it gets kind of troublesome to me, taking or seeing models from SA or IV could be a lot more faithful to the game, I don't have resource files now, so is that, or something I really like, or making a model from someone who spended time making a tutorial.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another part about adding detail is checking if it's worth, as in someone will be able to spot differences themselves before/after just by looking (is a scrap model):

user posted imageuser posted image

Though I would need to see how they look in-game, no shadows means it could look really flat like the original model, but even without shadows the deep should be there. I am not sure why the original container has that weird ceiling is like they wanted to chamfer the top edges but also mantain the UV proportions and ended like that.

cjd2425
  • cjd2425

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:19 PM Edited by cjd2425, 30 November 2011 - 01:12 AM.

Did the bollards, the top was black and almost untextured:

Also the street posts which are now closed as well, only the sign ones, as well as the signs which were previously 2D only:

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Full Gallery: http://imageshack.us/g/840/01ay.png/ - http://imageshack.us/g/259/01ai.png/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally I wanted to smooth the sidewalk and the curbs on the streets, it works more or less:

The mapping is all a mess around the curb, is just basically the same texture mapped in different ways, I don't really like to have to change everything to be uniform, but some of the stuff looks like this, and some even worse:

user posted image

I think I'll try with a smaller smooth (right image), but also something with the mapping of the left image, I like it simulating specular around the corner, the default is black around that area which doesn't look bad but it doesn't make a lot of sense:

user posted image

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Then there is the rest of the street signs around the airport and the commercial district, mostly the same, which weren't 2D, but the wrap around texture is giving me troubles to get a seamless and unstretched mapped texture, I am doing it manually and it takes time.

Fireburns
  • Fireburns

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:54 PM

You're doing a fantastic job! inlove.gif It's amazing that you improve things no one has done before. Furthermore I really like that you post progress shots on a regular basis.

Keep it up! icon14.gif icon14.gif

Fireburns

cjd2425
  • cjd2425

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:21 PM Edited by cjd2425, 30 November 2011 - 08:25 PM.

I am tired right now, so I'll release what I have just in case:

DOWNLOAD (requires GTA Mod Installer, not included): http://www.mediafire...nmew3t48ven9ynl

Unzip, Run GTA Mod installer, and select "install mod with script file" then "I want to select a folder with script file", select GTA3IMG.

Includes 12 models, the bollard, 3 signposts, all 7 of the 2D road signs, and 1 of of the 3D ones.

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Original is the first one only (in MEd), There are about 8 3D signs but I can't copy/paste correctly textures UVs between models with different proportions, the mapping isn't perfect anyways but is better than default.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried making windows, next time though I should try something less cluttered, I do also need references from other games, I am not sure what detail I should put in the model, but I know deep or vertical is what I should be looking for.

user posted image

Here's the curb/sidewalk comparison this is still with the boxed curb I believe:

Gramps
  • Gramps

★★★★★

• GTA Mods Staff
  • New-Zealand
  • Helpfulness Award
    Contribution Award [Mods]

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:27 PM

Awesome work mate !! Keep it up inlove.gif icon14.gif

cjd2425
  • cjd2425

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:28 PM Edited by cjd2425, 01 December 2011 - 08:34 PM.

Really tired, I don't think I'll be able to update any of this from now on, at least not until I recover interest.

--------------------------------------------------

Testing building detail.

This is likely the biggest skyscraper model ingame, is not difficult, but before even try to add the windows the UV around them, specially at the top needs to be fixed so the set of windows aren't half-cut (the roof has windows mapped).

Besides that the model needs to be smoothed first, I believe UV matching has to be done manually but is easier having the original model as reference, not like the seamless unstretched wrap arounds which take time.

--------------------------------------------------

Anyways to remove cars LOD, since it was supposed to be useful for other car mods:

Use an hex editor, open gta3.exe, and search for string "_vlo" (without quotes), here there are 3 values to be looking for "_hi", "_lo" and "_vlo", I am not sure what the game logic does with these, it should be switching or culling but it works weird.

Edit the values to any of these four:

_vlo _lo _lo
_vlo _vlo _lo
_lo _lo _lo
_lo _vlo _lo

This will force double or full rendering always for vehicles (like the game does with buildings), basically every single model inside the *.dff is rendered by the game always. Damaged works as intented, since _dmg is a different flag in the *.exe.

Possible bugs with this:

- The airtrain uses 3 LODs (4 actually) a _lo and a separated one, this could cause the model to always have wheels (though is a flying car). Since the 4th model is a different named *.dff on "generic" folder, I believe this should give not troubles to have the 2 LODs.

- The cheat for invisible cars likely could depend on the .exe logic, maybe if it just an ingame flag it will still work as intended.

Requirement:

All vehicles *.dff require to have their LOD deleted, as simple as that, anything with _vlo (or _lo ) deleted, export back as *.dff. This in order to prevent double/triple or full rendering.

Fireburns
  • Fireburns

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:17 AM

Hi cjd2425

I did not have enough time to also follow your tutorial explaining how to disable LOD on cars. This is on my to do list for the upcoming christmas break.

I put your updated files ingame though! Brilliant work once again. I just really hope that you find more motivation to continue working on this brilliant mod!

BTW: It looks like R* improved GTAIII for their Android release by also updating one of the lamps :-) Here

Fireburns

_Rob_
  • _Rob_

Game Dev, Graphics Artist

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:47 AM Edited by bammargera, 17 December 2011 - 05:10 PM.

QUOTE (cjd2425 @ Saturday, Nov 19 2011, 19:43)

I believe the issue here is that the object isn't prelit and because the texture is flat/ The combination of the two result in what you see. Ergo if the model was prelit, or retextured with perhaps a simple flat bake would work.

Great work by the way.

EDIT: Also, using this mod I created this

GTA 3 - Tribute To A Gaming Legend

Fireburns
  • Fireburns

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE (cjd2425 @ Thursday, Dec 1 2011, 20:28)
Anyways to remove cars LOD, since it was supposed to be useful for other car mods:

Use an hex editor, open gta3.exe, and search for string "_vlo" (without quotes), here there are 3 values to be looking for "_hi", "_lo" and "_vlo", I am not sure what the game logic does with these, it should be switching or culling but it works weird.

Edit the values to any of these four:

_vlo _lo _lo
_vlo _vlo _lo
_lo _lo _lo
_lo _vlo _lo

This will force double or full rendering always for vehicles (like the game does with buildings), basically every single model inside the *.dff is rendered by the game always. Damaged works as intented, since _dmg is a different flag in the *.exe.

Requirement:

All vehicles *.dff require to have their LOD deleted, as simple as that, anything with _vlo (or _lo ) deleted, export back as *.dff. This in order to prevent double/triple or full rendering.

Is this supposed to look like that?

Until now, GTAIII crashes when launching the .exe. Do I have to alter the .dff of the cars in any case to make GTAIII working again? If not, I can easily live with some fps less at the moment.

user posted image

Fireburns

_Rob_
  • _Rob_

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:08 PM

I anyone aware of a similar mod for Vice City?

ALMOST610
  • ALMOST610

Have you driven a Ford... Lately?

• Feroci
  • Australia

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:18 PM

I do not know of one that has been released, but I have made HQ models of generic things from around VC previously that have not been released, like this mod seems to be doing now. (Things like Traffic Lights, Poles, Trees, PaperStands, things like that.)

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

R.I.P.ingPang

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:20 PM Edited by Frank.s, 23 December 2011 - 02:24 PM.

QUOTE (Rob)
I anyone aware of a similar mod for Vice City?

I believe xseti did one but my googlefu skills failed to find it. monocle.gif

_Rob_
  • _Rob_

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:21 PM

Sounds cool almost, and yeah Frank I remember seeing one where LOD models were replaced with their non LOD counterparts, but I can't find it confused.gif

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

R.I.P.ingPang

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:22 PM

How could i have missed this while googleing, it was on xseti's gtagarage profile. lol.gif

QUOTE (A610)
I do not know of one that has been released, but I have made HQ models of generic things from around VC previously that have not been released, like this mod seems to be doing now. (Things like Traffic Lights, Poles, Trees, PaperStands, things like that.)
Sound ace. icon14.gif

_Rob_
  • _Rob_

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:29 PM

That's the one!

BLlTZ
  • BLlTZ

Typical behaviour for someone with your condition.

• Members
  • None
  • Best Texture/Model 2013 "SRt3 2012 Mipmap Edition"

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:22 PM

user posted image

Can't belive this! It actually works!

user posted image user posted image user posted image

As you can see there are some issues with white texture. I haven't look up to see from where that is coming, but I think I can combine texture with texture on one single lod.texture to make them all work, or I haven't renamed in the IDE to every texture since I test it one only building.
I tried with SRT3 and it laggs a bit maybe because my PC is old, doubles the texture quality and who cares, next year people will play V with Super Computers.
I hope to the universe, the game will not crash at some point, of a limit game or something, as that will make my angry.

Things got real now. I'm going with SRT3.
Why in the world R* haven't done this panic.gif

BLlTZ
  • BLlTZ

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE (cjd2425 @ Tuesday, Nov 8 2011, 09:00)
That's because it requires the same treatment for any model (any *.dff) that has been replaced by the mod to be extracted from the non-LOD model, and then renamed to the LOD one; in case of trees search for anything named "patch" or "tree", in the doc guide I posted above they're almost always at the end of the sectors in groups.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It does look merging works easily depending on the model, I forgot to mention you can only merge models that share the same texture, roads and buildings might not be compatible, but roads should be merged all together anyway, placement works easily if using the default filling (model replaced is LODiceballhall = policeballhall + ind_land106):

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Long LOD (Default) <-> Normal (Full-LOD) <-> Long LOD (mod)

So many stuff missing, still the industSW sector was the most incompatible for replacing, all the missing stuff (trees/railtracks) would need to be added with IPL entries, which ideally would be speared from saving detail by having a better merging (but like I said placement could be a problem). Not due to a limit in the number of IPL entries, but due to the amount of on-screen objects.

The problem is, new LODs would need require new empty *.col entries, and that would break mods which already replace those files.

I got hit by this problem just like you. I doing this for San Andreas and I got a few empty spaces because one lod was merge with two objects and both are not together in normal.dff
I don't know if I hit any limit, but all I manage to make new objects appearing are 5 out of 8.

I tried many ways to make them work but at some point the game crashes when loads. This is how I done;
- I exported the desire normal.dff file and rename it with a new word LODnormal.dff (I go with this example)
- MEd editor made a new id based on 18631, so 18630 was the last one used, I think.
- I put 18631 with LODnormal.dff in IDE (800,) for distance.
- I took normal.dff coordinates for LODnormal.dff to put them on IPL new id 18631.
- Then I took the specific col. file from normal.dff and export it, renamed it LODnormal.stc and add it back in the col. file, because without it my game was crashing at loading.
Even there are two identical .dff, the coordinates are so well made that you don't see the difference nowhere at any point of distance.

Now, if I add a new id [18636], the game crashes. I would like to know what method you used to merge them together without requiring to add a new id for the last 3 objects and to know (or anyone wants to tell me how in more details) if I want to continue with the work or stop, because I already done a entire block.

At the distance I see empty spaces with the sky under it.

ShakingASS
  • ShakingASS

Rollin Clufs

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:41 PM

Nice work always loved this mod for SA.

BLlTZ
  • BLlTZ

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:04 PM

No, this is for III. I'm working for SA, but I manage to fix my problems (I think moto_whistle.gif ).

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

OG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:29 PM

Did someone do this for Vice City? Or did they just make the up close models load. I'm gussing this is looking at getting the lod textures to be the higher quality up close ones, and not getting the reguler models to render up closer.

Still it looks pritty nice.

atfburner
  • atfburner

under the trapdoor

• Members

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:25 AM

amazing effort posting so much detail along with downladables not often seen, infact ive rarely come across a
topic so full in details and bet this level of sharing can be helpful to those outside of downloading your mod.
Thanks. Thumbs up!

Alt
  • Alt

some one

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

Re-uploaded all stuff from topic. Please don't ask me anything about this, I didn't even try it yet tounge.gif

qbic
  • qbic

Square Civilian

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:20 AM Edited by oleg_berezov, 11 August 2013 - 07:24 AM.

Sorry for bumping old topic.
Mod is very cool.
I have trees and their LODs from xbox mod. I tried to merge it with your mod. All works fine except trees' LODs:

user posted image
user posted image

Is there a way to fix it?

Doctorwho8who
  • Doctorwho8who

Creator of GTA III: 10th Year Anniversrary PC Edition

• Members

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:38 PM

Please add optimisation for Xbox lod's and also other mods (with different textures)

-DP-
  • -DP-

Retired Modder

• Members
  • Austria

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:06 PM

Please add optimisation for Xbox lod's and also other mods (with different textures)

Please add optimisations to your eyes (aka glasses)

Guess you didn't see that the last reply in this topic was on 11.08.2013

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users