GTA IV Graphics Problem Fix

7 replies to this topic
JustJik
  • JustJik

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:15 AM

Hey there everyone,

As you can see I am brand spanking new to GTAforums, and thought of helping out everyone that has been having difficulty getting GTA4 to be able to preform well enough to play. I've been pulling out my hair, screaming, shouting, crying, & searching the internet for hours on end trying to find a solution for the graphics issues in the game. I never found a post on a forum that had the whole solution, just bits spread all over.

I recently went out a bought myself a LEGIT copy of Grand Theft Auto IV, which is very rare of me (for any game that is wink.gif ). I've played the whole GTA series over the years and loved every one of them, until now... but after all of s*%# I went through, i LOVE it!

So here is how I got it to work, I hope it helps everyone. I've tried to make it as easy as possible for everyone. If any of the links don't seem to work please PM me and I will be MORE than happy to help out.

Enjoy! smile.gif

1. The Problems I Was Encountering

> Not being able to adjust graphics properties (Resolution, Texture Detail etc.)
> Severe stuttering in game play (Low Frame Rate)
> Graphics card being read as inadequate for gameplay
> Not being able to save gameplay progress without an internet connection (Windows Live)

***Sadly the only problem I was not able to fix was running my laptop using the nVidia card, BUT with what I'm going to show you performance is perfect for gameplay***

2. My Laptop Specifications

~~~ DELL XPS 15 L502X ~~~

CPU: Intel Core i5 2.80GHz
RAM: 6.00GB
HDD: 750GB
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 (Intergrated)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M 1GB (Dedicated)
AUDIO: Realtek HD Audio

THE FIX

STEP 1: INSTALL

Install Grand Theft Auto IV onto your system. After the install DO NOT go ahead and do the release date check. If you do that now you won't be able to save gameplay progress when you don't have an internet connection.

STEP 2. OFFLINE ACTIVATION

To be able to save your gameplay progess without using an internet connection you will need to perform the Offline Activation.
To open to the Offline Activation[B/], here is where you go;

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\OfflineActivation

Open up the exe. Take note of the [B]Unlock Request Code
they give you, and have your GTA4 serial handy as well.

Next, go to the following link on the Rockstar Support page;

Rockstar Support: Offline Activation

Scroll down about two thirds of the page and you will see the "Unlock Code Generator". Fill in your Serial Code and the Unlock Request Code you were given, and click "Generate Unlock Code". You should then get a code that looks like this;

XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-H2NDJ

Take note of this code!!! (i.e Copy and paste into a text doc)

Now, go back to the Offline Activation window and fill in your game Serial Code and Unlock Code you generated and click Activate.

GTA4 has now been activated offline and you can now save your progress without an internet connection.
I will show you how to save your game another step. (STEP 6.)

STEP 3: INSTALL GTA4 PATCHES

You must now install these patches for GTA4. This combination of patches seemed to work best for me. I spent hours on end installing then reinstalling the game to find the perfect combination of patches. The patches are official and were released on the Rockstar website, but for some reason I couldn't seem to locate them, only version 7. Full virus scans were done on the patch downloads and they are safe, so no need to worry smile.gif

Please Note The download links ARE NOT from the Rockstar website!

Patch Download Links & Patch Details:

Grand Theft Auto IV Patch v1.0.2.0

Link
Size: 32.5 MB
Release Date: January 25 2009

This patch basically improves performance ,address several crashes/errors, and resolves compatibility issues with gaming controllers.

This patch contains these notable fixes;

GRAPHICS:

> These options were added to the "Graphics Menu" - Water Quality, Shadow Quality and Reflection Resolution (With sliders. Low, Medium, High and Very High)
> These toggles were added to the "Graphics Menu" - Definition, and Vsync. (ON/OFF)
> Texture Rendering has been optimized.
> VSync has been optimized.
> Nvidia 7000 series graphics card problems have been resolved.
> Mirrors fixed in gameplay.

CRASH/ERROR FIXES:

> Unable To Load Game FIXED - For some users, a DOS window would open and close immediately upon Game Launch, GTA IV would never launch.
> "Hanging" On Game Loading Screen FIXED - Some users experienced Character Art Loading screens in an endless loop.
> RESC10 Error" FIXED - (Alt-Tab, change resolution). Certain causes of this error have been resolved.
>"GRAND THEFT AUTO IV Has Encountered A Problem And Needs To Close" FIXED - The causes of this error have been resolved.

MULTIPLAYER FIXES:

> Occasionally legitimate players would be "Kicked" from Multiplayer matches. This problem has been resolved.

CONTROLLER SUPPORT:

> Compatibility issues with various makes and models of gaming controllers have been resolved. For a full list of controllers click HERE.

GENERAL FIXES:

> In the Options menu accessed from the Title Screen a Game sub-section has been added with the ability to turn Clip capture ON/OFF.
> No Audio In Benchmark Tests - Audio was disabled in Benchmark tests, this problem has now been resolved.

~~~ The "Fixes" I listed above are only the ones I thought were most important. To view a full list of the "Fixes" in this patch and compatible gaming controllers please follow this link. ClickHERE ~~~

Grand Theft Auto IV Patch v1.0.4.0
Link
Size: 54.71 MB
Release Date: 19 June 2009

Rockstar dubbed this as the "Maintenance Update".

Nothing was listed as to what Rockstar specifically addressed in this patch/update, Rockstar did state that resource management adjustments based on the operating system detected

But from what I can tell it addresses the following;

> Improved performance when when heavy physics calculations were needed.
> Improved graphic performance.

~~~ Above is all the Fixes/errors that were addressed in this patch ~~~

When the patches have been downloaded, extract the files and install them. They are both .exe programs. Start with v1.0.2.0 and then install the Maintenance Update, v1.0.4.0.

As a side note, I wouldn't recommend installing the latest patch, v1.0.7.0. Rockstar stated that this patch allows you to play GTA4 without Social Club. All I had was problems when I installed this patch. GTA4 refused to launch when Social Club was uninstalled. When attempted to play the game a dos box appeared for a few seconds then nothing seemed to happen. So i wouldn't recommend the v1.0.7.0 patch.

STEP 4: UPDATE GRAPHICS DRIVER

Next you need to update your graphics card driver. I have an NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M 1GB card. The update is found on the NVIDIA.com website. The driver update I installed is the VERDE R285 DRIVER v285.62.

Download Link & Driver Details

Link
Size: 191MB
Release Date: 2011.10.24

For more details on the driver click HERE.

NB! By clicking that download link, you agree to the "NVIDIA License For Customer Use of NVIDIA Software". To view the licence agreement click HERE

When the update has downloaded, install the driver and restart your system as instructed.

If you do not have an NVIDIA gpu, please check the make and model of your gpu and refer to your manufactures website. ONLY DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL OFFICIAL DRIVER UPDATES!

STEP 5: LAUNCH GTAIV

Now launch GTA4, make sure DISC ONE is in your drive. Social Club will open first and ask you to sign in with your SC Profile. This is not neccesary to play GTA4. Skip this and click PLAY.

GTA4 will open at the Start Screen. Click on OPTIONS, then GRAPHICS. Now with everything I have shown you so far you will be able to change all graphics options, your gpu won't been seen as inadequate, Benchmark will include Audio, and will see the added graphics options that were added from the patches, and gameplay performance will be improved TEN FOLD.

The first time I played the game after all the updates and patches, I put all texture options to Medium and had to resolution slightly lower than the maximum. I kept the Aspect Ratio option on AUTO. Vsync and Definition were toggled to ON.

Run the game and see how it runs, adjust the graphics options until you are happy with the level of detail and overall performance of the game. REMEMBER to keep to gpu usage GREEN , if it is [COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR=red] you are putting too much strain on your gpu and the game will not run smoothly.

I am now running GTA4 at the maximum resolution and all texture/detail options are set to Very High, and have had no problems yet, lagging, stuttering etc.

I WOULD LIKE TO POINT OUT THIS, I FIND IT VERY STRANGE, AND RATHER FUNNY. GTA4 STILL USES THE INTEGRATED GPU IN MY LAPTOP, INTEL GRAPHICS HD 3000. BEFORE I INSTALLED THE NVIDIA DRIVER THE GAME WOULDN'T PLAY SMOOTHLY, BUT ONCE I INSTALLED THE DRIVER THE GAME IS RUNNING PERFECT! NOT SURE HOW OR WHY THAT IS HAPPENING.

[B]STEP 6: SAVING GAMEPLAY PROGRESS WITHOUT AN INTERNET CONNECTION

When you first start a game GTA4 will ask you to sign in with your SC Profile. Click SIGN IN. A Games For Windows Live box will open up from the top of the screen. Scroll down and an option to sign in offline will be available. Now you can save your gameplay progress without being signed in via an internet connection.

I hope this helps everyone. If you have any problems please PM me!

Enjoy Grand Theft Auto IV!

JustJik

Yugal Nandurkar.
  • Yugal Nandurkar.

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:51 AM

I have nearly all problems fixed as you have mentioned.The only problem I face now is that the game slows down at some point of time and then the graphics remain still as nothing.I would like to know the best benchmark result with which you play the game.please mail me at [email protected]
I am very eager for ur reply

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:23 AM

a) You should be able to save the game progress offline using an offline GFWL profile without doing the need the offline activation.
b) Since the newer systems have an integrated GPU included from the chipset, GTAIV (probably due to some poor coding decisions) has trouble detecting the dedicated GPU. This is usually solved by installing the latest GPU drivers.

Yugal, you can try using memrestrict to fix your problem.

nikobellico69
  • nikobellico69

Rat

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:39 AM

i have a good pc, 8gb ram

amd radeon 7950 gtx

64 bits operating sistem, i5

but the problem was not resolved, because all what i doo i cant make gta 4 run even if i try update it, it need command lins like no restrictions, but there is no other way to make it playable without using commands?

Міro
  • Міro

Time Killa™

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • GTANet Contribution Award [Newbie Guide]
    Most Improved 2010

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:48 AM

Uhm, not sure at all, so your problem is related to the graphics?
Make sure you've got these installed: Games for Windows Live Update, the GTA IV Patch 1.0.7.0 & .NET Framework 3.5. Eventually, if this doesn't work, you could also try to install xliveless, but it'll move your save files in the My Documents folder and also disable online play. But everything can be restored by simply removing the xlive.dll file.

Besides, where do you have the game from? Are you using any mods or cracks? Do you play with the original DVD in your Drive?
If any f the solutions posted above helped, please mention which. icon14.gif

suhel301
  • suhel301

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

i have the same problem...i hav an Intel Core I3 processor with Intel HD 4000 Graphics...on the in-game graphics settings my available video memory is shown as 58 mb...bt i hav over 1500 mb...m nt able to change the settings...face sum problems like the roads & walls disappear...any help any1?

nikobellico69
  • nikobellico69

Rat

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:57 PM

my game is all original, well, maybe i must update my graphic card drivers...

vixxe001
  • vixxe001

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:45 AM

Ive got an ATI readon 4650 HD ( i know that it aint the best) but my graphics sux and i cant find a driver update for the speccific card. help any1?

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users