Photo

The Australian

1,067 replies to this topic
avito coleone
  • avito coleone

Tryst's rent boy

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:50 AM

Sorry for the repost but this is a completely different topic. How does everyone feel about boat people, since they got 4 boats in the last 4 days. Do you think our policy of illegal immigrants is too soft??

Ari Gold
  • Ari Gold

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Montenegro

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:57 AM

It's a complex issue, and it's a shame that the current political scenario which the federal government finds itself in is simultaneously interesting but pig-headedly annoying when it comes to resolving this crisis. You've got the ALP who have privately come to the realisation that their policy needed re-alignment, hence why they're moving towards a more authoritarian, Coalition-esque standpoint (such as being so adamant about the Malaysia solution). Then you've got BB and the Greenie Boys who are riding on the leftist, small-l liberal ticket of no offshore-processing at all, ensuring that the ALP have no support within their own coalition. So, the ALP have to rely on the Coalition, but their sights are on 2013, so they're perfectly happy with stalling until then, even if it only ensures that the ALP have one legislative failure upon their hands (given that both the carbon tax and the mining tax, despite adamant Coalition opposition, passed), and even if it ensures that they have to tweak their own policy a bit (Tony Abbott going for the kill on human rights? Really?).

As for my personal opinion, I have no qualms at all with off-shore processing. I think that the self-righteousness of some people in assuming that obtaining a legal visa is so difficult is kind of disturbing, considering the thousands of refugees around the world who brave it out and obtain it legitimately for acceptance into different countries. It certainly, in my opinion, pays off more than spending your life savings just so a rickety boat can carry you across the Indian, only to either (a) have your boat crash into a bunch of rocks, (b) be taken to Christmas Island like a bitch, or © drown. I don't buy the whole "OMG DEY IZ FROM DA MIDDLE EAST DEY TERRORISTS f*ck OFF FROM STRAYA MATE" garbage which some on the right employ (I'm saying this as a Liberal man, myself), but, personally, I don't see anything wrong with holding them in "detention" off-shore whilst they're being checked. Having said that, though, I don't see anything wrong with someone coming on a boat "illegally", as long as they go through the correct process which their illegal arrival entails. The number of them coming aren't that great in comparison to how many illegal refugees other countries receive, and most of them end up entering the community, anyway. Besides, as long as we remain the greatest country on the planet to live in, people are going to want to migrate here, legally or illegally. Trying to curb the people smuggler's business model by cutting their demand is nigh-on pointless, primarily since we have no judicial control of how they operate in Indonesia, Afghanistan, Pakistan or wherever else they originate from. Unless the numbers become exorbitantly high (which I don't foresee occurring), then I think streamlining the way in which we process illegal asylum seekers, and ensuring that the prisoners are treated fairly and in a dignified manner (whether on-shore or off-shore), would be more cost-effective for the taxpayer and, inherently, more beneficial for our national interests.

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:19 AM

The only boat people I've ever talked to were those that went to my highschool, a family of brothers (who ended up faking their documents to say they were from Afghanistan) and a young guy who legitimately was from Afghanistan who is now a human rights advocate doing work through the uni of Adelaide.

I choose not to really debate (or put much thought into debate) about the issue because it's only a hot topic because the media and politicians say so.

If they can swing a cricket ball like the ones I have faced in the nets can, bring em in and do what Usman Khawaja has done.

avito coleone
  • avito coleone

Tryst's rent boy

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:58 AM

For me personally it is a issue of importance. However, while I say that it isnt as important as the political parties in this country are making it. I believe our boarder policy to be pretty darn soft. I guess my problems with illegal immigrants boils down to three things,
1) there doing it wrong, as stef said, it is quite easy to obtain a migrant/refugee visa into this country without risking life and limb to cross here from a sh*tty country in a sh*tty boat. Safety is a major concern of mine when it comes to illegal boat people.
2) I really dont like the way they go about it. They know that by crossing on a boat they will get asylum and be processed. That burns a hole in my gut. The thing that really pisses me off about this situation though is how they behave in detention. There actions during detention do warrant offshore processing, and if any riots/bombs/assults happen I thin k it should be an immediate denial.
3) lastly I believe Australian jhobs should go to Australians/Australian Immigrants/Visa Holders/Refugees etc and not the illegal immigrants. I guess the flip side of the coin is that it also comes down to people hiring labour to do the proper thing and pay taxes/super.

Lochie
  • Lochie

darkness washed over the dude

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Member 2014

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:58 AM

Man I'm finding the festival lineups this year are pretty lame, anyone grab a ticket?

Ari Gold
  • Ari Gold

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Montenegro

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:25 AM

Yes, I got a ticket to Stereo, but I'm going to ditch it after a few hours since I've got a friend's 18th on the same night and I think it would probably be much more fun then trying to party with hundreds of Zyzzs. Waste of $150 nearly, but still, at least I might be able to catch some glimpses of Avicii or Dash Berlin. AVB comes to Melbourne more or less every year, so I don't think I'll be missing much.

Naomi
  • Naomi

Predator posing as a house pet

• Zaibatsu

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:30 PM

In the paper (Sydney) yesterday, front page news on how "Video games are making children crazy!"
Apparently some parents are "at their wits end" because their precious darlings are becoming violent and irritable when told to stop playing.
These geniuses want all games labelled with a mental health warning.

I wish i was making this up.

Uhh...here's an idea, how about you actually PARENT your own children and just unplug the damned thing when they act like spoilt brats?
Holy LOGIC Batman!

But no, the rest of us parents will be dictated on how to raise our children because a handful of morons accidentally inserted tab A into slot B and connected their gen Z brat to a PS3.

Okay. Rant over. I feel better now.
Hand me a drink.

PS: Loved that 40cent local call joke. Adorable. lol.gif

EverLost123
  • EverLost123

EverLost

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:37 PM Edited by EverLost123, 29 November 2011 - 02:40 PM.

Can we talk everything here or its australia-related only? Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

Ari Gold
  • Ari Gold

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Montenegro

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:43 PM

What do you think?

EverLost123
  • EverLost123

EverLost

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:56 PM

Well i dont know exactly so thats why i ask smile.gif

buzbegone
  • buzbegone

• Members

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (EverLost123 @ Tuesday, Nov 29 2011, 22:56)
Well i dont know exactly so thats why i ask smile.gif

You have the whole General Chat section to talk about everything.

The media these days is generally sh*t. Just this morning, the top story was some ass fluff about Prince William rescuing a couple of people stranded at sea. Big f*cking deal, we got troops in Afghanistan doing 10x that and I don't see any coverage for the hard work they're doing. Only when someone has been injured or killed overnight is it newsworthy.
Also, why aren't we pulling out? Why does Gillard have to be so damn stubborn about it and why can't we just do what the Americans are doing like always?

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:28 PM

Big Day Out has been sh*t for years. It's just when tickets tipped over $160 that people thought it was too much (people = bogans) because a lot of people at BDO aren't there for the music. Now see what happens.

The only festival I've been to this season has been Parklife. I love how there's real diversity in festivals these days, but its really only Parklife and Stereos that are truly electric. I don't like where Futures is going, personally. And Summadayze has a hiphop/rnb stage which is great for a change. Haven't been to Creamfields so idk.

Soundwave is always up there, though. luv dat sh*t.

Ari Gold
  • Ari Gold

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Montenegro

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:22 AM

I'd only go to Future to see SHM.

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:47 AM

I haven't seen them altogether, but individually they've all been to Australia in the past few years. One is a banging tune, though. And that one they did with Tinie Tempah.

Parklife was really awesome this year. Because it was all electro and dubstep there weren't any of those zyzz types that fill up Futures and Stereos. I could count the amount of fully sick people I saw on one hand.

+ the lineup read like my iTunes library for the past 18 months.

Mav.
  • Mav.

Ghetto Star

• The Connection

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:08 AM

Been to a fair few of them.

Future, Parklife, BDO, Kiss My Grass, Goodvibes and Pyramid Rock (over new years).

Kanye headlining BDO would have been good. I'll be overseas however. Eminem is this week. And once again, if I wasn't saving for my trip probably would have gone. I'm not necessarily a huge fan, however I've kinda grown up listening to him and reckon it'd be a great show.

Best act I've ever seen live was Prodigy at Future last year. Absolute mayhem. Thunderstorms, gale force winds, hale and mud. f*cking amazing.

avito coleone
  • avito coleone

Tryst's rent boy

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:56 AM

Anyone got tickets to homebake? Man I am so glad tyo see its return. Also anyone going to soundwave. The line-up is a little sh*tty, but I am still wanting to go to syd with the boys just for the trip

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:35 AM Edited by finn4life, 06 December 2011 - 11:40 AM.

QUOTE (avito coleone @ Tuesday, Dec 6 2011, 21:56)
Anyone got tickets to homebake? Man I am so glad tyo see its return. Also anyone going to soundwave. The line-up is a little sh*tty, but I am still wanting to go to syd with the boys just for the trip

Haha i have a mate who sounds just like you "going to soundwave with the boys".
I kinda was tempted to go, but concerts aren't really my thing but i wouldn't say the line-up is sh*tty, some of my favourite metal/hardcore bands are in there.

-A day to remember
-Shadows fall
-Trivium
-Slipknot
-unearth
-underoath

Ugh, just spotted DragonForce, they suck.

buzbegone
  • buzbegone

• Members

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:01 PM

All my mates got the hate on Dragonforce, you're not the only one.
Disappointed to see no Dream Theater or Avenged Sevenfold, but they aren't the same without the Rev.

Ari Gold
  • Ari Gold

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Montenegro

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:15 PM

I'm not really much of a rock guy myself, but my friend is and wants me to tag along with him to Soundwave, so I might as well end up going. Only act I recognise so far is System of a Down, and they should be great.

Also, Stereo was fun. Avicii was great, so was Kaskade; I heard that Armin killed it, though, shame I missed out. Now I'm thinking of Future, definitely, and hopefully this time I'll be able to stay for the whole damn thing.

Marlowe.
  • Marlowe.

I Still Jerk-off Manually

• Members
  • Red-Cross

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE (avito coleone @ Tuesday, Dec 6 2011, 20:56)
Also anyone going to soundwave. The line-up is a little sh*tty, but I am still wanting to go to syd with the boys just for the trip

I haven't got my ticket yet, but I'm definitely going just to see Mastodon and Lamb of God. I'm unsure either will be back on tour with their new albums, so I'm not going to miss the chance.

Warlord.
  • Warlord.

:O

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:15 PM

Okay bros, so I got another question...

How easy would it be for me (a Sri Lankan) to become a resident/citizen in Australia?

I'm seriously considering leaving this sh*t hole of a country I live in now in the near future and Australia seems really awesome.

On a sidenote, do you guys get any snow over there? That would be the icing on the cake.

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:25 PM Edited by Jay, 15 December 2011 - 02:28 PM.

QUOTE (Maverick. @ Wednesday, Nov 30 2011, 17:38)
Best act I've ever seen live was Prodigy at Future last year. Absolute mayhem. Thunderstorms, gale force winds, hale and mud. f*cking amazing.

That was the same year as Boys Noize and Does it Offend You, Yeah? So good.

QUOTE (Warlord. @ Thursday, Dec 15 2011, 21:45)
On a sidenote, do you guys get any snow over there? That would be the icing on the cake.

You bet.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:28 PM

Hahahaha, my mates grandad is aussie as, and just yesterday he probably said the funniest thing i have hear in a long time.

My mate (lachlan) was at his grandads place, i came over as well, im kinda a family friend, and his nan was saying to lachlan to "never start smoking is really addictive and once you start you probably never be able to stop", and then his grandad says.

Smoking's easy to to quit, I've done it heaps of times.

hahahahahah, hahah.

avito coleone
  • avito coleone

Tryst's rent boy

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (Warlord. @ Thursday, Dec 15 2011, 12:15)

How easy would it be for me (a Sri Lankan) to become a resident/citizen in Australia?

I'm seriously considering leaving this sh*t hole of a country I live in now in the near future and Australia seems really awesome.

Man the best advie I can give you is to check ou the Australian Government website and follow the links for immigration. So whats everyone doing for christmas besides either melting in the extreme heat or being washed away for the wet season?

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:22 AM

^^ Spent Christmas Eve with my dad and my younger sister, dads best mate Jonny and one of his sons Danny, it was nice, then we headed over to the pub, drank some beers, talked some bullsh*t, and played some pool.
Christmas day, we all went out bush bashing, (My younger sister did not join) we stopped by an old family friend and his son, had lunch there then a little bit more bush bashing, then did a slow cruise around a different way home to Jonnies place (In the bush), sat up there, drank some beers, couple other mates came around, then eventually we went home, which was a 15min drive back to the village.

Great day out with the boys.

This thread is to share jokes too right?

My dad and his friends have a running joke, as they night goes on, and as they get older (all 40+) they get a little facial tiredness, hopefully i don;t have to explain the joke.

avito coleone
  • avito coleone

Tryst's rent boy

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:46 PM

Merry Xmas and happy new year to all of ya. Hope the season is treating you well. Yes this is a joke thread to so please explain

Warlord.
  • Warlord.

:O

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:59 PM

You guys should seriously replace your national anthem with this here.

Benjimino234
  • Benjimino234

♤ ♡ ♢ ♧

• Members

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:01 AM

Hey any design savvy guys here? 'cause I have a question about a particular college in Brisbane.

Have you heard of Billy Blue College of Design? http://www.billyblue.edu.au/, I didn't get the OP I wanted (big surprise) and instead of settling for one of the TAFE course I chose for preferences 5 & 6 I was thinking about this place. My older sister said they're pretty good, but she's not sure and doesn't know much. Have you guys heard of it? Their courses are pretty damn expensive and when looking up 'Billy Blue College of Design Fees' I came across this charming article http://forums.whirlp...archive/1687666 that totally bags it. I've spoken to Billy Blue on the phone about applying and such, I'm just not sure about how well this college is.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:26 AM

^Can't help ya.

Pretty crazy at the moment, middle of summer, supposed to be 40 degrees, and it 10 degrees in cooma, and 12 in canberra.

Irviding
  • Irviding

Sing, Sing, Sing - With a Swing??

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:34 AM

QUOTE (Warlord. @ Thursday, Dec 15 2011, 07:15)

Curious, would it be easier for you to do as such since Sri Lanka is part of the Commonwealth?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users