Photo

The Australian

677 replies to this topic
Chorup
  • Chorup

Trick

• Members

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:27 PM

What footy teams do everyone follow (AFL)? I'm a Hawker here, destined to be premiers of 2012. biggrin.gif

By the way, the Carbon Tax passed through the Senate today. It's about time too. The amount of Australians who oppose the idea, yet have absolutely no clue is unbelievable. Now we just have to wait for Abbott to land back on Aussie shores to kick up a fuss. Both major parties aren't ideal in the current circumstances, yet I'd be damned if Abbott were our Prime Minister. It was interesting on Q&A last night a few of the panel members pointed out that there is nobody truly inspiring in modern Australian politics, and this absence has completely turned many Australians away from the debates. I definitely agree and believe that party interest is too dominant over ones personal beliefs and views, which is killing the passion out of our 'leaders.'

avito coleone
  • avito coleone

Tryst's rent boy

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:28 PM

was thinking a banner along the lines of an ettomogah pub cartoon scence. Ill have AMF graphics wip something up man..

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:38 PM

Your head of state is still the British Queen.

Wrecked.

avito coleone
  • avito coleone

Tryst's rent boy

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:44 PM

What does recession mean, cause.... we dont know

I agree Chorup. I just hope that abbot doesnt get in and spend the taxpayers dollars on removing all these new introduced taxes. As for the mining tax, smash them all. Its our land being mined by overseas companies. I am still dissapointed the states and fed governments havent done something about coal seam gas mining.

Chorup
  • Chorup

Trick

• Members

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE (avito coleone @ Tuesday, Nov 8 2011, 12:44)
What does recession mean, cause.... we dont know

I agree Chorup. I just hope that abbot doesnt get in and spend the taxpayers dollars on removing all these new introduced taxes. As for the mining tax, smash them all. Its our land being mined by overseas companies. I am still dissapointed the states and fed governments havent done something about coal seam gas mining.

Very true. It's ridiculous that these mining companies were up in arms about a mining tax, despite making huge amounts of profit in their industry. BHP recently recorded their highest ever return, and yet here they are, complaining over a tax they should be paying. The real worry is that many Australians immediately jump to defend these corporate giants, following the negative mentality of Abbott. It is perfectly reasonable to expect a proportion of their profits to be injected back into other sectors of the Australian economy, after all as you said, they are mining our resources. It is beyond me why people oppose such a tax, preferring that the money goes overseas to line the pockets of corporate billionaires.
I'm critical of both major parties, which ultimately allows me to see things for what they are, not for which party presents them. This is something some Australians have trouble with, they are like a flock of sheep who will align their views with what Abbott or Gillard says is good and bad, as opposed to thinking for themselves. I'm surprised the carbon tax and even mining tax debate reached the levels it did, one would think that common sense would prevail earlier. That aside, I will say that I find it far more easy to agree with the Labor party than the Liberals, which is most likely attributed to my moreso 'left' views.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:46 PM

QUOTE (Shayan Shaffey @ Tuesday, Nov 8 2011, 12:09)
QUOTE (Jay @ Tuesday, Nov 8 2011, 15:38)
QUOTE (Steven. @ Tuesday, Nov 8 2011, 21:37)
QUOTE (Jay @ Tuesday, Nov 8 2011, 12:04)
I got a lot of mileage out of my accent in the States. It's a double-whammy, we can get away with swearing when North Americans can't, but we can also use posh words without sounding pretentious.

A friend of mine was called over outside a Canadian bar and was asked whether he "ate with that mouth" by a cop. Once he said he was Australian, the cop basically was like as you were, mate.

What is so special about the Yankee accent?

I'm calling this now. You're Jimmy.

He better be, I hope, for my own good, that he isn't Sam.

He ain't Sam. Sam would have his ass handed to him, one last time, no more, as said before. I don't even know what he's on about anyway. I came in to say LOVE MAD MAX, hope George Miller can complete his 4th movie. The uprising halted filming and it's still unstable in North Africa.
Anywho, not that related. I just put BBQ sauce on meat, call it good, Maybe some salt.

I was told for someone in the construction field, you could find work down Under, but it's normally just hot year round, isn't it? We got 45 for a high here (F. not C.)

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE (Irviding @ Tuesday, Nov 8 2011, 12:38)

Wrecked.

And that's a problem because...?

Anton4291
  • Anton4291

Why are you reading this?

• Members

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE (Chorup @ Tuesday, Nov 8 2011, 12:27)
What footy teams do everyone follow (AFL)? I'm a Hawker here, destined to be premiers of 2012.

I'm a fan of the Adelaide Crows, it's a shame they didn't do too well last season. I was so glad to see Port Adelaide stumble around with everything going to sh*t for them.

Reading this thread makes me sad, I'm currently living in the UK and winter is just dawning upon us. It's freezing! I'm very jealous of you all back in Australia.

And on the topic of the carbon tax, I think it's flawed and a definite way for Labor to say 'We don't want to stay in government.' Unless nations like China, the US, India etc catch on with it, there's no point. Australia produces far less carbon gases and this will only drive businesses away. Shame on you Julia, for not supporting economic growth.

AlexGTAGamer
  • AlexGTAGamer

Time flies when you throw a clock.

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE (Typhus @ Tuesday, Nov 8 2011, 22:50)
QUOTE (Irviding @ Tuesday, Nov 8 2011, 12:38)

Wrecked.

And that's a problem because...?

Agreed, I mean did you see how many people came to see the Queen when she visited Australia not so long ago?

TommyAngelo
  • TommyAngelo

figure

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:48 AM

Adelaide would have to be the most depressing city in the world.

avito coleone
  • avito coleone

Tryst's rent boy

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:16 AM

Thanks to AMF member tryst, one of the coolest dudes around, we have some sigs for the Australian, find them in the first post.

Marlowe.
  • Marlowe.

I Still Jerk-off Manually

• Members

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE (Chorup @ Tuesday, Nov 8 2011, 22:27)
What footy teams do everyone follow (AFL)? I'm a Hawker here, destined to be premiers of 2012. biggrin.gif

The Dees! This time last year I had so much hope for this club, but now, now I don't know hot to feel. Tom Scully's departure to GWS has left a huge void inside of me. Now I'm starting to get jealous of Richmond of all teams. *sigh*

And, if I recall correctly, didn't Julia promise she would help turn us into a republic? Hmm.. I seem to remember her saying something along those lines.

I know I, for one, would like to see us 'free' of the Queen. A new flag would be nice as well. There's something bothersome about the Union Jack... Id

Mav.
  • Mav.

Ghetto Star

• The Connection

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:47 AM

I support Carlton FC.

I'm also a monarchist and am happy to stay in the Commonwealth.

Btw, I love Adelaide. Would happily move there if I had to.

avito coleone
  • avito coleone

Tryst's rent boy

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:49 AM

Dont follow the Gay-FL, im a union man myself. tounge.gif Im a monarchist to, and julia not bowing to the queen embarrassed me even though it is no longer formal doctrine (as julia is head of government).

Chorup
  • Chorup

Trick

• Members

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE (Anton4291 @ Tuesday, Nov 8 2011, 22:07)
QUOTE (Chorup @ Tuesday, Nov 8 2011, 12:27)
What footy teams do everyone follow (AFL)? I'm a Hawker here, destined to be premiers of 2012.

I'm a fan of the Adelaide Crows, it's a shame they didn't do too well last season. I was so glad to see Port Adelaide stumble around with everything going to sh*t for them.

Reading this thread makes me sad, I'm currently living in the UK and winter is just dawning upon us. It's freezing! I'm very jealous of you all back in Australia.

And on the topic of the carbon tax, I think it's flawed and a definite way for Labor to say 'We don't want to stay in government.' Unless nations like China, the US, India etc catch on with it, there's no point. Australia produces far less carbon gases and this will only drive businesses away. Shame on you Julia, for not supporting economic growth.

After you beat us that first round, I thought it was going to be a repeat of 2009 for the Hawks. I've always seen Adelaide as a decent team, but I think they just need to step up that extra level, maybe the change of coach will help in that department. I have nothing against Adelaide fans, but this was possibly one of, if not the best footy experiences of my life.

Being on the wing where Buddy kicked this goal was unbelievable.

It may damage their 'image,' especially with Gillard's pledge not to introduce a Carbon Tax, but ultimately I think it's best for the nation. We should be setting an example for these other nations. An attitude of 'let's wait until they do something' will see a standstill in regards to any progress and action on climate change.

The Dees! This time last year I had so much hope for this club, but now, now I don't know hot to feel. Tom Scully's departure to GWS has left a huge void inside of me. Now I'm starting to get jealous of Richmond of all teams. *sigh*

And, if I recall correctly, didn't Julia promise she would help turn us into a republic? Hmm.. I seem to remember her saying something along those lines.

I know I, for one, would like to see us 'free' of the Queen. A new flag would be nice as well. There's something bothersome about the Union Jack... Id

Marlowe, I do feel a degree of sympathy for your boys, in the middle of a rebuilding stage the new teams snatch a few of your young guns. I'm sure it's not that bad, Richmond isn't exactly a team to idolize, especially since their preferred position in the league is always 9th. tounge2.gif

Personally, I think Australia should be a Republic. The Queen does nothing for us except visit once every 10 years or so. There was a referendum in 1999 for Australia to become a republic but this failed. I guess the majority of Australians are content on this monarchy system, but either way there wont be much difference. It'd just be nice to be entirely independent of any other country.

Warlord.
  • Warlord.

:O

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:53 AM

Thanks for the help guys.

One other question, what are the people in Melbourne like? Friendly or...?

Not trying to generalise, but just looking for what people who lived there think.

Chorup
  • Chorup

Trick

• Members

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:56 AM Edited by Chorup, 09 November 2011 - 08:59 AM.

QUOTE (Maverick. @ Wednesday, Nov 9 2011, 08:47)
I support Carlton FC.

Mate, that team is an embarrassment to the league...can't stand the blues. turn.gif

Warlord, most people here are generally pretty friendly...but you also do get your fair share of dickheads. It's pretty hard to judge a whole city though as one. The Eastern suburbs are generally more Anglo-Saxon based, while the west is more ethnic. I guess the city is just a mix of these two.

Billy james
  • Billy james

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:19 AM

QUOTE (avito coleone @ Wednesday, Nov 9 2011, 08:49)
Dont follow the Gay-FL, im a union man myself. tounge.gif Im a monarchist to, and julia not bowing to the queen embarrassed me even though it is no longer formal doctrine (as julia is head of government).

You Union pricks and Gay-FL fans have got nothing on the great game of Rugby League, The Greatest game of all.

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE (Warlord. @ Wednesday, Nov 9 2011, 18:23)
Thanks for the help guys.

One other question, what are the people in Melbourne like? Friendly or...?

Not trying to generalise, but just looking for what people who lived there think.

They're frilly. Hipster-ish. Cultured, arty. The type of people that go out most nights. There's tons of nightspots in the CBD, and sports are always well attended.

buzbegone
  • buzbegone

• Members

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:28 AM Edited by buzbegone, 09 November 2011 - 10:31 AM.

QUOTE (Marlowe. @ Wednesday, Nov 9 2011, 16:37)

She also said 'No carbon tax' but here we are today so guess there's a lesson to be learnt.

Didn't care really for Julia bowing for the Queen and I'm sure the Queen didn't either. Gillard is just too proud and stubborn to accept the conventional and respectful way of greeting the Queen and she'd do it all again should the opportunity present itself. A good trait in a leader, if I do say so myself, but there is such a thing as too stubborn such as refusing to step down even though everyone hates you.

Thanks for the sigs avito but I'm sticking with my George. It's not that I dislike them, rather I like my current one more.
If you could, pass on my thanks to tryst wink.gif

Mav.
  • Mav.

Ghetto Star

• The Connection

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE (Chorup @ Wednesday, Nov 9 2011, 19:56)
I support Carlton FC.

Mate, that team is an embarrassment to the league...can't stand the blues. turn.gif

We just happen to be the equal most successful and 3rd oldest team in the league. Not to mention one of the largest.

Yet your team, the one that looks like it's covered in piss and sh*t, is nothing. No one gives a f*ck about the Hawks. turn.gif

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:15 AM

ladies plz

Port.

Chorup
  • Chorup

Trick

• Members

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE (Maverick. @ Wednesday, Nov 9 2011, 11:14)
QUOTE (Chorup @ Wednesday, Nov 9 2011, 19:56)
I support Carlton FC.

We just happen to be the equal most successful and 3rd oldest team in the league. Not to mention one of the largest.

Yet your team, the one that looks like it's covered in piss and sh*t, is nothing. No one gives a f*ck about the Hawks. turn.gif

Maybe so, but recent history tells a different story. Remember when Fev hit the post a few years back in the dying minutes...one of my most treasured memories.

Not to mention when buddy kicked his 100th and Fev ended on 99 goals for the season haha. biggrin.gif

I think both of our teams are fairly on par support wise, although Hawks are a step above the blues on-field. Although, Carlton has really stepped up the last few seasons and are definitely a genuine contender next year. If only you still had Fev though.... turn.gif

Everyone will be mirin' when we win the flag next year, just like they were when we won it in 08.

Mav.
  • Mav.

Ghetto Star

• The Connection

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:42 AM

16 premierships > 10 premierships.

Until that changes, sit the f*ck down.

You guys didn't win in '08 btw, the cats lost wink.gif .

Chorup
  • Chorup

Trick

• Members

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:54 AM

Lol, I'm sure the fact that Hawthorn joined the VFL 28 years after Carlton has nothing to do with that. Carlton won 5 premierships in this time (when there were bugger all teams) and they were well established by the time the Hawks entered the league.

The better team won on the day mate, there was no robbery...just pure skill. smile.gif

Carlton fans are possibly the most obnoxious supporters, and trust me I know some who make hating Carlton an absolute honour and pleasure on my behalf. You and your ethnic Italian backing is probably up there with the bogan pies supporters haha.

Mav.
  • Mav.

Ghetto Star

• The Connection

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:10 PM

The Hawks weren't good enough to join the elite comp at the time. Not Carlton's nor any other founding member's fault.

Enough of this dick measuring contest anyway.

It's clear who's the more relevant club.

Chorup
  • Chorup

Trick

• Members

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:40 PM

All good. Can't really expect opposing footy fans to agree much...I guess that is part of what makes the sport so great, friendly banter.

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:00 PM

Anyone watching the cricket now?

We got spanked at the beginning, but now there's a 100 run partnership between Clarke and Marsh, things are settling down nicely.

chris
  • chris

Everton FC

• The Connection

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE (Jay @ Monday, Nov 7 2011, 14:42)
Interesting stuff may or may not happen in Perth, but it takes days for news to reach anywhere of significance.

It's mainly down to the crazy amount of construction work currently going on there, plus i have family in the same job role as me who could help me get on my feet in a new country.

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE (chris @ Thursday, Nov 10 2011, 00:03)
QUOTE (Jay @ Monday, Nov 7 2011, 14:42)
Interesting stuff may or may not happen in Perth, but it takes days for news to reach anywhere of significance.

It's mainly down to the crazy amount of construction work currently going on there, plus i have family in the same job role as me who could help me get on my feet in a new country.

If you're going in for construction, see if you can land a gig in the mines. That's what all the bogans are doing. Sure, you're stuck out in the desert, but the $$$z are immense.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users