The Australian

654 replies to this topic
Audiophile
  • Audiophile

Soothe us with sweet lies...

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:54 PM

My mum was born and raised in Australia. Tasmania to be exact (cue the jokes) and I was born and raised there for part of my life before my mum got a job offer in Canada and moved us here.

She doesn't drink much beer but when she does, she drinks VB. So does the rest of my family over there. They dislike Foster's and it's pretty much what has been said above, it's a bit of a joke and more of a thing for overseas/tourists.

That's not to say that no Australians whatsoever drink it. Some do.

• theadmiral likes this

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:57 PM

My time spent in Australia was back in 2006 and 2009 .. Foster's was heavily sipped there during my stay. I'm not saying the entire continent of Australia drink Foster's as a major beer, because I have sh*t knowledge about Australia other than the basics, I'm speaking on behalf of what I've witnessed and what I've done.

It may be non-existent, like most pubs (bars) here in the states are non-existent when it comes to Killian's or Guinness, since not many of us drink it, atleast in my area. People have preferred flavor.. it's now about location of brewing. I rather drink microbrewery beer than top beer.. because it's cared for more and has a more unique flavor. 

Anyways, them Aussie's drank the hell out of Foster's while I was there and that's why I posted a picture of Foster's because when I seen this topic revived, it reminded me exactly of my time there.. short and drunk, because of Foster's. I also stated that I know more UK folk drink Foster's more than Aussie's.. but I didn't know that UK now brews it.. because I don't keep top of Wikipedia nor brewing standards. I buy, I drink..

#Foster's .. go Aussie's.

• Audiophile likes this

Myron
  • Myron

I shot Reagan

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:00 PM

Yeah from my experience, most Australians view Fosters as a joke at the expense of the English, who primarily drink it. Australians tend to view it as weak piss.

• Melchior, Audiophile and theadmiral like this

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:09 PM

That's usually how it goes.. much like Killian's and such over here.. though every now and then while at a bar or Grill & Bar, I'll drink me a nice dark lager such as Guinness or Killian's but it's truly a sh*tty tasting ale. But each place has their own flavor/likeness.

What is Australia's main alcohol, albeit beer or liquor?

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:36 PM

That's usually how it goes.. much like Killian's and such over here.. though every now and then while at a bar or Grill & Bar, I'll drink me a nice dark lager such as Guinness or Killian's but it's truly a sh*tty tasting ale. But each place has their own flavor/likeness.

Definitely beer, bitter beer at that.

XXXX gold which is carb low beer, then VB Victoria Bitter, then Carlton draught then Tooheys New
  • Audiophile and theadmiral like this

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

Founder And Opening Batsman: Vinewood Cricket Club

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:46 AM Edited by theadmiral, 27 January 2014 - 12:47 AM.

Guinness isn't a dark lager, it's a stout.

• Lochie likes this

Myron
  • Myron

I shot Reagan

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:50 AM

Guinness isn't a dark lager, it's SWEET AMBROSIA.

• theadmiral likes this

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Save it for a rainy day

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:52 AM

I don't think I've ever seen anyone drink fosters. Not kidding. It's mainly Tooheys, Carlton and VB, as Finn said. 

• theadmiral likes this

Jolly SWAGman
  • Jolly SWAGman

Has a jumbuck in his tucker bag

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:34 AM Edited by Jolly SWAGman, 27 January 2014 - 01:39 AM.

I don't know anyone that drinks fosters. Sometimes there will be a long neck or two of it in the bottle shop. A brought one once as a joke and it was horrible.

I haven't seen it on tap in a pub anywhere. Those pubs were 90% of people were drinking it were probably filled 90% with tourists from overseas. Sorry Gun Wraith, I think you got duped :)

As for main beer it does depend on the area:
Victoria: Carlton United brewed products (VB, Carlton draught)
NSW: Tooheys
QUeensland and Northern Territory: XXXX
South Australia: Coopers
Western Australia: Swan Lager, west end bitter
Tasmania: cascade
Oh and Canberra: top shelf scotch and vintage fine wine at tax payer funded dinners.
  • Lochie and theadmiral like this

Linc.
  • Linc.

Betty, don't start up with your white zone sh*t again.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Linc., 4 weeks ago.

So much has happened since the last few posts!

I don't think too many of everyone is around anymore, I haven't seen Stefche or Chorup post in ages. I might just me looking in the wrong places though. :p

What does everybody think of this Geoff Shaw kerfuffle?

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

Generic GTA Username

• Members
  • India

Posted 4 weeks ago

Stefche changed his name to Ari Gold FYI. he still hangs around at footy desk and sports I think.

Linc.
  • Linc.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 4 weeks ago

Oh cool, might have seen him without even knowing it in that case.

Same goes for in real life, creepy how you can find out how close you live to a stranger. :ph34r:

krashr
  • krashr

blank

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

i know a lot of people are excited for world cup this week, but it's also game 2 of state of origin on wednesday night, any nrl fans in here?

What does everybody think of this Geoff Shaw kerfuffle?

i think if there was a serious investigation into rorting the system, they would catch out a hell of a lot more of them doing these things..

Ari Gold
  • Ari Gold

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

I've met Geoff Shaw a few times (well, twice), and while his personal views are a bit more on that lunatic, Rick Santorum-esque fringe of the Liberal Party (he's fairly adamant about changing Victoria's abortion laws which, thankfully, most other Libs are just scoffing at), he doesn't really stand out as much different from the rest personality-wise. Any pressure by the Libs towards him is coming from the top (Napthine is well respected across the party, both front bench and back bench, and is making sure they present themselves as positively as they can in this election year); most of the back benchers treat Geoff as if he's one of their own.

I don't think too many of everyone is around anymore, I haven't seen Stefche or Chorup post in ages. I might just me looking in the wrong places though.

lol when you're a full-time law student you have to make some sacrifices. I'm pretty much only around the private sections of the forums now, and I only went back to sports 'cause it's WC time.

• Linc. likes this

Linc.
  • Linc.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 3 weeks ago

Oh cool, where are you doing law? I'm hoping to do Law perhaps at Deakin. I'm currently doin units 1+2 for VCE and I like to think in doing quite well. :p

i just hope end if year exams reflect it, because I'm reeeeally prioritising my important subjects this year. :)

Insert-Coin-To-Continue
  • Insert-Coin-To-Continue

Notoriously Punctual

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 3 weeks ago

i think if there was a serious investigation into rorting the system, they would catch out a hell of a lot more of them doing these things..

If there was a serious investigation into that, we'd probably only have a handful of pollies left. Which is probably not a bad thing at the moment, lol.

• krashr likes this

Lochie
  • Lochie

darkness washed over the dude

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

I think what Geoff Shaw is doing to the Victorian parliament right now is unfair on the Victorian people, it seems very feudish to hold a whole parliament hostage due to what I assume is a falling out with Napthine.

There seems to be a lot of "corruption" coming out of NSW state politics, this whole AWH scandal has really skyrocketed out of control. I would have thought the ICAC would have been contempt with not only getting Barry O'Farrell  but they also nicked Mike Gallacher (Police Commissioner) and just this week I was reading they got Murray Kear (SES chief). Who else is gonna go down? 

Lexty.
  • Lexty.

c.r.e.a.m

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Up the blues.

Get some of that into ya Johnathan Thurston ya grub.

CosmoKramer0
  • CosmoKramer0

The K Man

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Up the blues.

Get some of that into ya Johnathan Thurston ya grub.

Man seriously, I go for the Blues and am glad they got up however Josh Reynolds is a much bigger grub in general. He knew what he was doing towards the end of the match there trying to do anything possible to wind the clock down. JT reacted because he knew it was now or never for QLD to win. The entire first half was a niggle-bash-a-thon just to see who would snap first. The wingers on both teams barely touched the ball in the first half unless bringing it back from a kick cause they weren't spreading the ball wide. JT will always be seen as a champion player regardless of what he did last night. And no I'm not a Cowboys supporter.

• Lexty. likes this

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Never sleep again

• Australia

Posted 3 weeks ago

I'm not much of a football fan, but being born and raised in NSW I was happy to see them break the drought.

Insert-Coin-To-Continue
  • Insert-Coin-To-Continue

Notoriously Punctual

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 3 weeks ago

Don't really care for, or follow rugby either, but living on the NSW/QLD border (NSW side) I'm quite pleased that I won't be encountering Maroons supporters left and right for a while now.  :beerhat:

• SonOfLiberty likes this

Willstig998
  • Willstig998

The Content Creator

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 3 weeks ago

I don't care about footy or rugby at all I'm a sports follower in general.

Anyway the V8 Supercars are on in Darwin, Northern Territory (where I was born & half raised) but I like cars but I'm not a big follower on that too.

Billy james
  • Billy james

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 3 weeks ago

So this is where we talking about Origin, figured it would in the sports section

krashr
  • krashr

blank

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

haha me too and i did look there, but no.. and if by talking about origin you actually mean "coming in to say you don't really like footy, but you're happy nsw won", then yes, this is where it's happening  :lol:

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Never sleep again

• Australia

Posted 2 weeks ago

Willstig998: I'm quite a big follower of the V8 Supercars. I go for Holden myself or more specifically I'm a fan of the Holden Racing Team. Have been since I was a kid.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users