The Australian

677 replies to this topic
F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:44 AM

QUOTE (lzw3 @ Thursday, Jun 27 2013, 17:37)
My favourite bit about the past few weeks:

QUOTE (Kevin Rudd)
I have come to the conclusion that church and state can have different positions and practices on the question of same sex marriage [...] I believe that the secular Australian state should be able to recognize same sex marriage.

I'm really happy for that too, it is so damn stupid. Did you see the New Zealand prime ministers speech when they changed laws? It was one of the best speeches I've heard in a long time.

Linc.
  • Linc.

Betty, don't start up with your white zone sh*t again.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:49 AM

I haven't seen it, actually. Could you link me to it? smile.gif

Ari Gold
  • Ari Gold

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:24 AM

I don't reckon it'll be that long before the Liberals push for a conscience vote on the issue. People like Abbott, Bernardi etc. will oppose it, but I'd say that, pound-for-pound, there are more Liberals in favour of legalising gay marriage than there are against it, especially amongst the younger ones.

Chorup
  • Chorup

Trick

• Members

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:59 AM

Agreed, only a small number of liberals constitute your so called far right 'Tea party.' They will oppose it, but I assume most others will support it. At the end of the day a fair few politicians couldn't give a stuff and have no moral compass at all. I can bet my bottom dollar that they have/will weigh up the potential gain in votes as opposed to the loss of votes brought by supporting same-sex marriage.

When it comes to other moral issues such as recognising the name of Macedonia, they couldn't give two sh*ts. Why? Because they may jeopardise the Greek vote. Often it comes down to numbers, it's as simple as that. However, that's not to say we don't have the odd politician out there doing what they believe in.

Everyone should inform themselves before an election. It's stupid to throw away your vote when it can have a direct impact on your life in the future. Personally I've always been interested in politics here and abroad, but that should not be a pre-requisite for having a look at the policies of different parties and voting accordingly.

Lochie
  • Lochie

darkness washed over the dude

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:14 AM

QUOTE (rudy. @ Wednesday, Jun 26 2013, 12:12)
You, my dear Australians, have one of the best tasting beers ever.

sarcasm intended wink.gif

If you are referring to Fosters please GTFO. I don't know anyone in Australia who drinks it and I've only seen it on tap at one pub, and now that pub doesn't even serve it. If you want to drink some decent Australian beers I reccomend you keep your eyehole peeled for the following;

user posted image

Little Creatures Pale Ale

user posted image

Matilda Bay Big Helga

user posted image

James Squire Sundown Lager

Those are just a few personal preferences, the Australian craft brew scene seems to be growing here and whenever I visit Dan Murphys or First Choice I am becoming more and more spoilt for choice with beer. Due to money (lolpoor) I rarely treat myself to these finely brewed amber beverages and instead walk out holding 3 VB tallies I bought on special for $15.

In regards to our current political situation, its a shame Julia Gillard was booted out. I feel that the media demonised her due to the fact that she was a woman (legitmately, some of the questions she was asked would have never have been said to a male prime minister), they never paid attention to the good things she did for this country. I think Labour realised that going into this election with Gillard at the helm it would be a whitewash, at least with Rudd, Liberal will not have as large of a majority like the Queensland Government does (I think there is like 8 Labour seats?). Also found this article pretty interesting in regards to Bill Shortens change of heart.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Godfather

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:27 AM

I'm not much of a beer drinker, but I don't mind the odd Tooheys Extra Dry every now and then.

Lexty.
  • Lexty.

action without satisfaction.

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

Well it's another rainy day here in Gosford.

Linc.
  • Linc.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

None of that in Melbourne for a change.

The government must be up to something. ph34r.gif

thatguy23
  • thatguy23

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (Coat. @ Saturday, Jun 29 2013, 11:34)

A Gossy bloke? My dad lives up in Woy Woy.

Ari Gold
  • Ari Gold

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE (lzw3 @ Saturday, Jun 29 2013, 21:37)

Yeah, it's been lovely recently, though the mornings could be a little bit warmer. There's nothing worse than driving along semi-rural suburban roads (I'm sure you're familiar of some of the ones I'm talking about) in the middle of the night and seeing your windows spontaneously fog up when you already have the air conditioner on. Driving in peak hour to the city in fog is pretty cool, though.

Lexty.
  • Lexty.

action without satisfaction.

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE (thatguy23 @ Saturday, Jun 29 2013, 12:19)
QUOTE (Coat. @ Saturday, Jun 29 2013, 11:34)

A Gossy bloke? My dad lives up in Woy Woy.

Well I didn't want to tell you my true location, but I live in Umina. My parents probably know your dad.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:59 PM Edited by finn4life, 29 June 2013 - 02:01 PM.

QUOTE (lzw3 @ Thursday, Jun 27 2013, 17:49)
I haven't seen it, actually. Could you link me to it? smile.gif

Well I could wait to get back from my holiday and google it up for you, or you can use that brain of yours and do it yourself. Either way is fine, I won't be back for two days though.

Linc.
  • Linc.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:36 AM

QUOTE (Stefche @ Saturday, Jun 29 2013, 22:44)

Yeah, it's been lovely recently, though the mornings could be a little bit warmer. There's nothing worse than driving along semi-rural suburban roads (I'm sure you're familiar of some of the ones I'm talking about) in the middle of the night and seeing your windows spontaneously fog up when you already have the air conditioner on. Driving in peak hour to the city in fog is pretty cool, though.

I think I know the roads. tounge.gif
You are in the Keysborough area, correct? I'm pretty much at the end of the Frankston Freeway (or whatever it is called now), and most of there (around the St Leonard's campus) is pretty rural.

In 20 years half of it will be estates I bet.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Godfather

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:17 AM

QUOTE (Coat. @ Saturday, Jun 29 2013, 22:34)

God this weather sucks doesn't it? It's been raining here (Maitland-Newcastle) for the last week or so.

Can't do anything in this sh*t. confused.gif

Billy james
  • Billy james

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:46 AM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 14:17)
QUOTE (Coat. @ Saturday, Jun 29 2013, 22:34)

God this weather sucks doesn't it? It's been raining here (Maitland-Newcastle) for the last week or so.

Can't do anything in this sh*t. confused.gif

Even wetter here in Port Stephens

Lochie
  • Lochie

darkness washed over the dude

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:01 AM

Weather is p sh*tty here in Brisbane as well, hope it clears up since I'm going down to the Gold Coast tomorrow for a few days.

Linc.
  • Linc.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:06 AM

Oh god this thread has been reduced to small talk about the weather.

Time to re-Australianize this thread.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

That's better...

Ari Gold
  • Ari Gold

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:28 AM

QUOTE (lzw3 @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 11:36)
QUOTE (Stefche @ Saturday, Jun 29 2013, 22:44)

I think I know the roads. tounge.gif
You are in the Keysborough area, correct? I'm pretty much at the end of the Frankston Freeway (or whatever it is called now), and most of there (around the St Leonard's campus) is pretty rural.

In 20 years half of it will be estates I bet.

Yeah, I was referring to that massive swathe of empty land between Waterways, Dandenong, Cranbourne and Frankston, where the East-Link runs through. Pretty much all of those roads are fogged up after midnight and it's an absolute bitch to drive through. The Nepean Highway isn't great either, since it's fairly wide and allows fog and mist to develop along the road.

Linc.
  • Linc.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:31 AM

Yeah I know what you mean, I live beside the train tracks that run parallel with Nepean Highway where the land is quite low and early in the morning you can barely see 20 metres ahead.

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Save it for a rainy day

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:01 AM

Perth is sunny as usual
Hope it can winter up pretty soon.

Ari Gold
  • Ari Gold

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:23 AM

QUOTE (lzw3 @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 15:31)
Yeah I know what you mean, I live beside the train tracks that run parallel with Nepean Highway where the land is quite low and early in the morning you can barely see 20 metres ahead.

Yeah, I imagine the presence of those marshes next to Edithvale Road would exacerbate the fog and mist in winter.

The area where you live is p nice, though. I know it well. Edi beach in summer turns into the biggest Wog fest.

Linc.
  • Linc.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:32 AM

Tell me about it, all summer we have to put up with the Italian-descent neighbours next door doing doughies in their VT Commodore utes. lol.gif

I don't mind it during the day but at night time when it is still 25+ and I want to get to sleep it can be a bit of a pain in the neck.

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:31 AM

Who here lives in Sydney?

I'm in Dulwich Hill. Would be cool to catch up with some of you in the leadup to V... celebratory drinks in Newtown or something biggrin.gif

arsenal_fan
  • arsenal_fan

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:20 AM

QUOTE (Stefche @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 06:23)
QUOTE (lzw3 @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 15:31)

Yeah, I imagine the presence of those marshes next to Edithvale Road would exacerbate the fog and mist in winter.

The area where you live is p nice, though. I know it well. Edi beach in summer turns into the biggest Wog fest.

I have a beach house in Edithvale since its where my dad use to grow up so I have spent my summers there for the past 22 years. Edithvale used to be filled with bogans, I remember people use to wear Austrlaian flags everywhere and the typical yellow bleached hair. It's only been the past 2-3 years it's turned into a wog fest, but they usually hang around the boat and life club area. Also if you go to the night club near there (Humpday on Wednesday nights) its filled with wogs, its like the new TFU.

Where do you guys live Stefche and lzw3? You guys sound like you live near where I do, I live in Ferntree Gully, in the Knox district.

Linc.
  • Linc.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:54 AM

I'm in Edithvale off Station Street. smile.gif
I went up to Knox a while back to an ace Chinese all-you-can-eat. The place was fecking mint. Just headed straight up Springvale Road probably around where Stef lives.

buzbegone
  • buzbegone

• Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:13 AM

Whats the deal with all this nonsense with immigration? I like Kevin Rudd's solution, but all these left wing loonies are going full hugbox on immigration. Its like these sheltered clowns have never been outside a gated community or asked their parents how the real world works.

Can I get a second angle on this bullsh*t?

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:59 AM

It's like 11-12 degrees down here! I hate it.

Billy james
  • Billy james

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:16 AM

Does anyone like Rugby League

Linc.
  • Linc.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:53 AM

QUOTE (billy james @ Monday, Jul 22 2013, 16:16)
Does anyone like Rugby League

No, you are the only person in the entire universe to have ever liked rugby league. tounge.gif

Just poking fun. tounge.gif

I've watched a bit of rugby league, obviously not as much as AFL as I'm from down south but it's mandatory to do a bit of it in one of my classes.
There's no denying it's a tough sport, and especially hard to get used to due to its massive differences with Aussie Rules.

Ari Gold
  • Ari Gold

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

The only reason I follow AFL is because I'm from Melbourne, not because the sport itself is extrinsically great. I see rugby in the same light; if I grew up in Sydney or Brisbane, I'd be inundated with it and it'd be my main local sport. I don't mind rugby; been to a few Storm and Rebel games and I can't say I haven't enjoyed myself. Neither hold a candle to Wogball, though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users